Page / 47
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Blood atonement owns page five!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP here. I'm not necessarily into debating the mutual exclusivity of science and religion. I just see a group of people who seem to live good, healthy, productive lives. The constant among them is their religion, which is what interests me. I sincerely want to find out what it's all about, based solely on my experience with the members of their church who have approached and engaged me in conversation. I'm about the least "religious/spiritual" person you'll meet, but if there is a path to happiness and righteousness, I'm completely open to exploring it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask them about the Nat Geo piece that disputed just about everything Mr. Smith made up.

I always love this stuff. It's quite a often-heard sentiment that LDS people make great neighbors.

But hey... if a Nat Geo piece disputes the teachings of Joseph Smith... then RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Seriously... many of the posts in threads like these make my want to run my heathen, skeptical ass right BACK to activity in the LDS faith.

If the OP is thinking of becoming a Mormon, do you not think he should be advised as to what the science says?

There are many other options out there if Nat Geo is not your cup of tea.
OP here. I'm not necessarily into debating the mutual exclusivity of science and religion. I just see a group of people who seem to live good, healthy, productive lives. The constant among them is their religion, which is what interests me. I sincerely want to find out what it's all about, based solely on my experience with the members of their church who have approached and engaged me in conversation. I'm about the least "religious/spiritual" person you'll meet, but if there is a path to happiness and righteousness, I'm completely open to exploring it.

I say do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Except it isn't made up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting historical fiction.  Mentions people that never existed, situations that didn't happen, takes other situations and changes information to misrepresent people, etc.

Except it isn't made up.

A handful of examples:

1. In the 1826 trail of Joseph Smith, Krakauer incorrectly portrays the trial as coming about because of a disgruntled employer of Joseph Smith. The irony of Krakauer's mistaken claims is that in real life the employer, Josiah Stowell, not only didn't file any claim against Joseph Smith, but actually testified in favor of Joseph Smith's character. Joseph Smith was found innocent and excused in pre-trial.

2. Krakauer suggests duplicity on the part of Brigham Young in the case of the massacre at Mountain Meadows. Young had sent a letter to the church members at Cedar City telling them to leave the people in the wagon train alone, but the letter arrived too late. Krakauer suggested that the contents of the letter were in doubt and that all documentation of the matter had disappeared (suggesting that the letter didnt' exist or if it did that it contained a message different than the Church has maintained all along). To make this claim Krakauer ignored the fact that a letterpress copy of the original letter was made immediately when it was written and the letterpress copy has always showed exactly what Young had written.  

3. Krakauer suggests that Porter Rockwell attempted to assassinate former governor Boggs of Missouri, and goes on to say that none of the LDS were brought to justice for the attempt. What Krakauer deliberately ignores was the fact that Rockwell was arrested, chained, and then imprisoned for several months until he was almost wasted away, but found innocent in regards to the charges pertaining to the attempted assassination. In fact, he was held like that despite the fact that the grand jury refused to even bring an indictment against Rockwell. In short, despite being innocent, Rockwell was made to suffer considerably for a crime he never committed. History was almost the exact opposite of what Krakauer suggested in his book. It is an example of historic persecution of the LDS, not of any guilt on the part of the LDS.

4. Krakauer says that in 1831 Eli Johnson got a mob together to attack Joseph Smith for a supposedly inappropriate relationship with Eli's sister, Miranda. The problem with this claim of Krakauer's is that Miranda had no brother named Eli. So here Krakauer is making up fictitious persons to portray what he claims to be historical events.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No more ridiculous than any other religion. I don't give credence to any of them BTW.

I married into a family of Jack Mormons, descendants of Joseph Harker  , they were generally decent people, especially my brother-in-law and his wife.

And some of my neighbors and co-workers in SoCal were LDS. I'd much rather associate with them than the holy-rollers that I grew up with in Appalachia.
View Quote

When you say you married into a Mormon family does this mean that you aren't Mormon or are Jack Mormons just a different group from yours?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Care for a little insight into how religions like Mormonism came about?
Give you a hint it was during the Second Great Awakening.
I will gladly lend anyone my copy of this book as it provides some very interesting insight into peoples religious and spiritual thinking during this time, as told through the story of another man not at all unlike ole Joe B. Smith.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
A whole lot of this in here.

Waaaaaa, my magical superman is real and yours isn't
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A handful of examples:

1. In the 1826 trail of Joseph Smith, Krakauer incorrectly portrays the trial as coming about because of a disgruntled employer of Joseph Smith. The irony of Krakauer's mistaken claims is that in real life the employer, Josiah Stowell, not only didn't file any claim against Joseph Smith, but actually testified in favor of Joseph Smith's character. Joseph Smith was found innocent and excused in pre-trial.

2. Krakauer suggests duplicity on the part of Brigham Young in the case of the massacre at Mountain Meadows. Young had sent a letter to the church members at Cedar City telling them to leave the people in the wagon train alone, but the letter arrived too late. Krakauer suggested that the contents of the letter were in doubt and that all documentation of the matter had disappeared (suggesting that the letter didnt' exist or if it did that it contained a message different than the Church has maintained all along). To make this claim Krakauer ignored the fact that a letterpress copy of the original letter was made immediately when it was written and the letterpress copy has always showed exactly what Young had written.  

3. Krakauer suggests that Porter Rockwell attempted to assassinate former governor Boggs of Missouri, and goes on to say that none of the LDS were brought to justice for the attempt. What Krakauer deliberately ignores was the fact that Rockwell was arrested, chained, and then imprisoned for several months until he was almost wasted away, but found innocent in regards to the charges pertaining to the attempted assassination. In fact, he was held like that despite the fact that the grand jury refused to even bring an indictment against Rockwell. In short, despite being innocent, Rockwell was made to suffer considerably for a crime he never committed. History was almost the exact opposite of what Krakauer suggested in his book. It is an example of historic persecution of the LDS, not of any guilt on the part of the LDS.

4. Krakauer says that in 1831 Eli Johnson got a mob together to attack Joseph Smith for a supposedly inappropriate relationship with Eli's sister, Miranda. The problem with this claim of Krakauer's is that Miranda had no brother named Eli. So here Krakauer is making up fictitious persons to portray what he claims to be historical events.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very interesting historical fiction.  Mentions people that never existed, situations that didn't happen, takes other situations and changes information to misrepresent people, etc.

Except it isn't made up.

A handful of examples:

Oh sure
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]

I've been in the LDS  church my entire life.  I can say that even during the times I've questioned my faith,  I've never had any desire to raise my family outside the church.  I believe the foundation this religion gives my children is so important in the world we live in.  And the blessings our little family has received from following the gospel are pretty hard to deny.  I'm thankful my wife has been faithful even when I haven't been.
View Quote

My experience has been quite similar. I'm currently unemployed and finishing my degree. Even with that, I still pay my 10% tithing and what little fast offering I can afford. We are not without and my faith keeps growing more and more with all the blessings, both large and small, that we keep getting despite our current circumstances.

OP - I hope you find happiness down whatever path you and yours take.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LOL, Nothing like a little propaganda to cover up the real story.  Reminds me of the Obama administration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure direct people to a sight that will of course sway in favor of the LDS.  Does it talk about how the Native Americans in this country are the lost children of Israel according your doctrine?  Though many DNA tests have been performed on Native Americans proving this one item about your church false.

Yes: https://www.lds.org/topics/book-of-mormon-and-dna-studies

Quoted:
Does it mention anything about the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

Yes, again:  https://www.lds.org/topics/mountain-meadows-massacre

LOL, Nothing like a little propaganda to cover up the real story.  Reminds me of the Obama administration.

Can you disprove anything they mention about Mountain Meadows, for example?  There is no denial that it happened and the explanation fits every historical fact known from the event.  It also makes complete sense considering that despite non-LDS wagon trains moving through the territory both before and after the event at Mountain Meadows, there were never any other incidents before or after.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Haha, Mormons gotta Mormon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krakauer's account of the 1995 tragedy on Everest has been disputed by many.

But hey... I'm sure his book on Mountain Meadows is dead-on!

Your ass is showing again (but I suspect you're fine with that).

I've been an avid "armchair Himalayan mountaineer" much of my 46 year life, as well as doing plenty of rock/ice climbing and peak bagging in the Continental U.S. throughout my life. I own most of the books that are accounts of the 1995 tragedy. Many of the writers (who were there), dispute Krak's account. I'll have to go with the majority on that one. But I'm sure that your blind belief in Krakauer's account must be well-warranted.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey Shane, I think your religion is silly and makes no sense. Wanna go get a (root)beer?

Just wait guys, lets see if he massacres me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey Shane, I think your religion is silly and makes no sense. Wanna go get a (root)beer?

You better watch out or I'll be on my way over with fresh baked bread or chocolate chip cookies!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A handful of examples:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it isn't made up.

A handful of examples:

Just like Joseph Smith did with the angel Moroni...and here we've come full circle.

At least Krakauer never made up any gold plates.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
they now say that Mohammed was like unto a prophet...  I will have none of it
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[snip]

So here Krakauer is making up fictitious persons to portray what he claims to be historical events.
View Quote

That's how Jon rolls...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You better watch out or I'll be on my way over with fresh baked bread or chocolate chip cookies!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already told them about the Mormon cookies.  Many have I enjoyed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually that would be an assault of sorts. No gluten for me and all. We'll both have to have the root beer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am responsible for at least one Bishops daughter having to lie before she got married in the temple.  

Poor dude thought he was getting a virgin.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know quite a few Mormons. On the whole, the females are VERY attractive.

So there's always that

I know what your talking about living in Mormon country but damn they all have shitty hairstyles and I never see them in high heels or even wedges. But I would so put the hurt on them and they do take care of their men

I am responsible for at least one Bishops daughter having to lie before she got married in the temple.  

Poor dude thought he was getting a virgin.  

Who knows.  She might have been honest with him.  People repent and still go to the temple despite not being virgins, you know.

Having been in a bishopric in a college student congregation, I'm pretty familiar with the reality of what goes on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Some of my best friends are Mormon.  They're (the ones I know) are great people and always place their family and God first.  As a Catholic, none of them have ever criticized my religion.  They've invited me to their church functions (Easter breakfast, Christmas dinners, church softball games) and we've always been welcomed with open arms.  They know I'm not interested in becoming a Mormon...and gain nothing by befriending my family other than friendship.  One even had some missionaries come and help with some labor work around the house when we were doing some landscaping.  This thread is full of idiots looking for attention who lack respect for others beliefs.  With that...I leave you this...

"Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine; nor is it given to us in this life to know whether your or mine, our friends or our foes, are exactly the right."  -Thomas Jefferson
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've been an avid "armchair Himalayan mountaineer" much of my 46 year life, as well as doing plenty of rock/ice climbing and peak bagging in the Continental U.S. throughout my life. I own most of the books that are accounts of the 1995 tragedy. Many of the writers (who were there), dispute Krak's account. I'll have to go with the majority on that one. But I'm sure that your blind belief in Krakauer's account must be well-warranted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Krakauer's account of the 1995 tragedy on Everest has been disputed by many.

But hey... I'm sure his book on Mountain Meadows is dead-on!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh sure
View Quote

Killer personal insight, research,  and debate skills there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, I am a Christian and do not agree with any of the doctrines of Mormonism.  I totally reject their religion.

However, Mormon folks tend to be great people, very nice and good family folks.  I would be glad to have one as a neighbor.

If you are interested in their gospel, then look into it, but do so by looking at both sides of the arguments, not just their version.  Make up your own mind and do as seems best to you.

I believe God will lead you if you ask His direction.

View Quote

A very evenhanded comment.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome. What was the extent of YOUR personal research and/or experience on the matter? Oh yeah... anonymous GD poster displaying his emoticon wizardry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask them about the Nat Geo piece that disputed just about everything Mr. Smith made up.

I always love this stuff. It's quite a often-heard sentiment that LDS people make great neighbors.

But hey... if a Nat Geo piece disputes the teachings of Joseph Smith... then RUN LIKE HELL!!!

Seriously... many of the posts in threads like these make my want to run my heathen, skeptical ass right BACK to activity in the LDS faith.

If the OP is thinking of becoming a Mormon, do you not think he should be advised as to what the science says?

There are many other options out there if Nat Geo is not your cup of tea.

I am the truth, the way and the life.  No one comes to The Father except through me.  John 14:6

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.  2 Corinthians 5:21

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No! You'd absolutely be welcomed to attend, and the "members" would be thrilled to have you there, even if you're frank about your reasons (as you were in this post). I'd encourage you to go give it a whirl. We really are nice folks generally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not even joking. We've got the token two clean cut kids on bikes in our 'hood, complete with black helmets, ties, pressed pants, white shirts, going around passing out pamphlets and doing their thing. I've chatted with them a bit on several occasions, and they really are quite likeable. I've asked them specifically about what they believe in, and they don't mention any magic underwear or Jesus being born in Michigan or whatever. They just go into the standard "you have to follow Jesus to live a happy life".

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God. I'm completely unsure if God as we think of him is a real thing, or just something completely natural that is well beyond our understanding.  I'm not against the idea of a traditional God, I just don't have any faith that such is the case. That being said, these guys and their church seem like a genuinely nice, good bunch of people.

I'm seriously considering sitting in on one of their services and introducing myself, but to be totally honest I'm not hoping to come to any spiritual revelations, I just want to see what the hell they're putting in the water there, so to speak. My question is, would doing so be intrusive/offensive if I approached the church on a social level, rather than a spiritual level. I plan on being completely honest about my intentions and beliefs.

Or is this going to end like a Twilight Zone with me wearing a bike helmet and a Valium smile?

No! You'd absolutely be welcomed to attend, and the "members" would be thrilled to have you there, even if you're frank about your reasons (as you were in this post). I'd encourage you to go give it a whirl. We really are nice folks generally.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Awesome. What was the extent of YOUR personal research and/or experience on the matter? Oh yeah... anonymous GD poster displaying his emoticon wizardry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can follow Anatoly if you wish.  Or Pittman.  

There is no one you can ARock me to, sorry.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Well folks, I have to head home from work for dinner.  Wife just called to tell me that she's about to start grilling.

Have a nice evening.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Went to college in Utah.  Attended a few LDS functions.  One was a dance social but with a short talk to both guys and girls in separate groups.  The bishop started off the talk by asking a question... "How to you get  Mormon girls to stop having sex?  Marry them.".

That was the exact quote, i swear.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Sherlock holmes got in on the action, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Study_in_Scarlet
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
View Quote

Nope,

They tried to convert me when I visited an old for/museum there in Utah :). It was free, with guide and all. They just wanted my address at the end , and talk me about their faith. It was interesting.

2 months later, back in Switzerland, 2 Mormons came to my door. I simply told them I appreciated everything, that I would gladly let them in for a drink, but that I didn't wish to be converted or having another religious talk.

They kindly declined and went...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can follow Anatoly if you wish.  Or Pittman.  

There is no one you can ARock me to, sorry.  
View Quote

There are other accounts as well, Sandy Pittman's is NOT an account I would give much value to.

Love the ARock reference. LAME as it's applicable to ME. But hey... if that's the best left jab you've got, then by all means throw that pitiful thing out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I want to be mormon just to find a hot woman who knows how to cook, clean, be a great mom and can get down.
View Quote

Among other things, Mormonism has got that going on for itself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Except it isn't made up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it isn't made up.

Umm... About *that*....

Krauthamer wrote it as *fiction*...

You do understand what "fiction" means, right...

Why suggest a work the author wrote as (the authors words) "fiction" as a source of information about a subject...?!?!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come pick me up. I've been wanting to massacre my first person.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nope,

They tried to convert me when I visited an old for/museum there in Utah :). It was free, with guide and all. They just wanted my address at the end , and talk me about their faith. It was interesting.

2 months later, back in Switzerland, 2 Mormons came to my door. I simply told them I appreciated everything, that I would gladly let them in for a drink, but that I didn't wish to be converted or having another religious talk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.

Nope,

They tend to be all like PUSHY and obnoxious that way!!! Surprised they didn't try to saw your head off with a dull knife.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm an Athiest, but I have lived in Utah for the past 3 years, and I have nothing but nice things to say about the people.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to be mormon just to find a hot woman who knows how to cook, clean, be a great mom and can get down.

Some of you folks seem to have strange ideas about these Mormon girls. Unfortunately when I say Mormons for the most part seem pretty damn normal to me, I mean it. Nothin special really. Maybe less obesity out here. But I put that down to the geography and popularity of outdoor recreation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They tend to be all like PUSHY and obnoxious that way!!! Surprised they didn't try to saw your head off with a dull knife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope,

Now I think you're confusing Muslims and Mormons.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't recall if I've met you yet. Did you kill me too?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Depends.  Do you seek gross blessings or net blessings?  Entirely up to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 10%, is it on gross or net income.  Serious question, not trolling.  That could be a lot of dough.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've never seen or heard of any Christian denomination that didn't consider them heretics at best and a cult at worst. They have Christ as a central figure of the religion, but so does Islam. I have never heard of a professing Christian that accepted Mormons as fellow believers.

ETA: When Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, Orthodox, charismatics, Pentecostals, and Jehovah's Witnesses all agree on somebody not being doctrinally the same religion it's fair to say they are probably correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you expect them to bring up baptism of the dead, celestial marriage, or temple garments on your first encounter? The entire Mormon missionary model is based on intentional vagueness and trying to pass off the church as a Christian denomination.

You're saying they aren't Christians?
I've never seen or heard of any Christian denomination that didn't consider them heretics at best and a cult at worst. They have Christ as a central figure of the religion, but so does Islam. I have never heard of a professing Christian that accepted Mormons as fellow believers.

ETA: When Catholics, Anglicans, Protestants, Orthodox, charismatics, Pentecostals, and Jehovah's Witnesses all agree on somebody not being doctrinally the same religion it's fair to say they are probably correct.

Islam does not recognize Jesus as anything other than a lesser prophet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Hay-Suess is not the Gawd.  He's the son of Gawd --- just like the rest of us. We're just very low on the angelic food chain (chain of command).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Here's the God's honest truth for me.  I was raised a member of the Church, and as I grew into adolescence, where you start to think for yourself and realize the imperfections of your parents, you start to question things, and I needed to know for myself what the real deal was.

The most important, ominous task I have ever done in my life was ask God if He was really there, in the most sincere prayer I have ever offered up.  This was when I was 13, after I finished reading The Book of Mormon.  I literally realized that I was about to test everything, and I made myself as prepared as I could by studying the specific teachings of my Church for well over a year, reading at least one chapter every night.

In my mind, I saw a figurative cliff before me, and I was determined to walk off of it, even if that meant some other path.  I didn't care what the truth was, as long as I could find it.  I was very determined to go to the earth's ends to find it if I had to.

So when I knelt down to ask God if he was there, believe me when I say that there was a weight on my shoulders that felt heavier than anything man could impose on me.  I really, really needed to know what was going on, and knew that there was a very big possibility that I would not get an answer at all.  I didn't care. If so, then what can I do, right?

So I paused for a very long time, then began my prayer.

"Dear Heavenly Father, I've grown up always taking for granted you were there, and I still believe you are there....

...but I really need to know now for myself.  I've prayed to you practically every day of my short life, was taught that you are real, have studied the scriptures, gone to seminary, attended Sunday school, but I really need to know now for myself what the truth is.

So...are you there....."

What happened next literally changed my life.  I felt a distinct person, who is our God, our Father, my Father in Heaven, burn an impression of His Love so deeply on me that it seared my soul eternally, and that I will never deny.  I felt a literal re-birth that I can only describe as a renewal of life and burning in my entire being that made it so I could not even feel what was going on around me, and I dared not open my eyes.  I can only explain the level of communication that happened as pure, Heavenly, perfect, and more real than anything I have experienced before or since.

That day changed my life forever.  I swear it and bear witness of it, no matter what anyone else has to say.  I thanked Him profusely, and couldn't tell Him enough how grateful I was for this answer to my prayer.  I then felt a deep sorrow for the mistakes I had made in life, and begged for forgiveness. I asked if Jesus Christ was His Son, and if His Gospel was true, and received another dose of overwhelming Heavenly affirmation.  I asked if The Book of Mormon was a true book, and got another dose of the same, to the point where I was exhausted.  I don't know how much time went by during this whole two-way prayer, but it was all I could take, and had to close with the most sincere thanks to a loving Father in Heaven.

I then burst from my room and couldn't contain my excitement while telling my family, who looked at me apprehensively, and then my friends at school, who did more of the same. I thought if everyone knew Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ like I did, the world would be an awesome place.  Nobody really wanted to hear what I was saying, and they kindly made subtle moves to distance themselves from me.  It was an interesting time, to say the least.

If there is one thing I hold onto in life, one thing I would tell a stranger on my deathbed, one last sentence of breath I could expel, it would be that God lives, and His Son Jesus Christ is the way home.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:52:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Some of you folks seem to have strange ideas about these Mormon girls. Unfortunately when I say Mormons for the most part seem pretty damn normal to me, I mean it. Nothin special really. Maybe less obesity out here. But I put that down to the geography and popularity of outdoor recreation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the cooking part. I had to teach my wife that, but the rest is accurate, at least in my case.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No way in hell.

ETA: OP, do some serious outside research on the history of the Mormon religion.
View Quote
I think the word you're looking for is "cult".

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Its a "Win Win" journey!

You'll get the best dental care possible, and a strong affinity for canned chili!

You might experience strange sudden urge's to mow your neighbors lawn!

The only thing you need to invest is 15% of your income, and three days a week at the stake!

Your tithe will go down to 10% if you save a stripper, or have more than four kids!

And down to 5% if you do both!

Enjoy!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not one mainline Christian denomination does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not even joking. We've got the token two clean cut kids on bikes in our 'hood, complete with black helmets, ties, pressed pants, white shirts, going around passing out pamphlets and doing their thing. I've chatted with them a bit on several occasions, and they really are quite likeable. I've asked them specifically about what they believe in, and they don't mention any magic underwear or Jesus being born in Michigan or whatever. They just go into the standard "you have to follow Jesus to live a happy life".

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God. I'm completely unsure if God as we think of him is a real thing, or just something completely natural that is well beyond our understanding.  I'm not against the idea of a traditional God, I just don't have any faith that such is the case. That being said, these guys and their church seem like a genuinely nice, good bunch of people.

I'm seriously considering sitting in on one of their services and introducing myself, but to be totally honest I'm not hoping to come to any spiritual revelations, I just want to see what the hell they're putting in the water there, so to speak. My question is, would doing so be intrusive/offensive if I approached the church on a social level, rather than a spiritual level. I plan on being completely honest about my intentions and beliefs.

Or is this going to end like a Twilight Zone with me wearing a bike helmet and a Valium smile?
Did you expect them to bring up baptism of the dead, celestial marriage, or temple garments on your first encounter? The entire Mormon missionary model is based on intentional vagueness and trying to pass off the church as a Christian denomination.

You're saying they aren't Christians?

Not one mainline Christian denomination does.

Maybe you ought to read some of the things besides what is purposefully degrading and generally not true.
Emphasis on the 13th.

LDS 13 Articles of Faith
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I was born into a Mormon/LDS family and grew up with it. Since the age of about 22 I've drifted away from the act of showing up to the building for Sunday meetings, but then again I am pretty introverted and avoid crowds in any event. For every person out there saying "Research! they're looney" there are 2 or 3 who will testify to the opposite. To this day if I were to jump into organized religion more zealously, LDS is where I would be, and not just due to conditioning of growing up in an LDS family, I've spent a lot of time in a lot of different congregations of many different Christian denominations.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 10%, is it on gross or net income.  Serious question, not trolling.  That could be a lot of dough.

That shit was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I knew a mormon once....
View Quote
Yes you did....

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#50]
lol been inactive LDS for a number of years but I've been attending meetings regularly for a few months now. Hi guys
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top