Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 47
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And as I noted, I could give you a very long list of scholars that believe Smith made it all up.

Neither side is going to change its mind.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Book of Mormon has been evaluated in that manner.  Both Joseph Smith's and Oliver Cowdrey's writing patterns have been conclusively shown to not be consistent with the writing in the Book of Mormon. Furthermore, numerous different writing styles have been discovered in the book.  

Just to be clear, those "evaluators" were Mormons.  I could give you a long list of researchers that are positive that Joseph Smith was a total fake. Would that change your mind?  Of course not.

That is why it is not productive for us to argue about this issue.  You "believe" it is authentic.  I do not.  And neither does any other Christian.  Neither of us will change our minds.

Discussing "what we believe" can be worthwhile.  Arguing about who is right is not.

Not  all the evaluators were Mormons.  Some studies were done by LDS members.  One of the best one done, was a  peer reviewed study done by mostly non-LDS scholars from the University of  Berkely.  that looked at the writing styles of Smith, Cowdrey, and Solomen Spaulding and compared them to the principal authors of the Book of Mormon

Some of their results:

Authors                                             Cumulative chance of being the same author
Nephi and Alma                                         less than 1.5 x 10-14
Joseph Smith and Alma                             less than 2.5 x 10-5
Joseph Smith and Nephi                             less than 2.7 x 10-20
Oliver Cowdery and Alma                          less than 6.25 x 10-17
Oliver Cowdery and Nephi                         less than 8.1 x 10-19
Spaulding and Alma                                    less than 3 x 10-11
Spaulding and Nephi                                   less than 7.29 x 10-28

This is a roughly 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author. Hilton rightly terms this "statistical overkill".

I'm not posting this to argue.  Just to show evidence that Smith did not write the Book of Mormon as people claim.

And as I noted, I could give you a very long list of scholars that believe Smith made it all up.

Undoubtedly all Non-LDS scholars, right?

I know there is nothing I can post that will change your mind, and vise versa.  

Just curious if you have ever read the Book of Mormon yourself, or just read about it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

The empirical and scientific evidence is secondary to knowledge that comes from the Spirit of God...

Sometimes, antagonists ask first for real evidence before seeking spiritual knowledge... I found that a lot when I was a missionary.

The "long list of scholars" who believe that Smith made it up... Probably has some cross-pollination with scholars who don't "believe" a single word in the Holy Bible, also...

I know you don't do this O_P, I am speaking generally here... But be careful when picking your enemies to the Latter-Day movement. They might be your own enemies you are lifting-up...

Kind of reminds me of the "Christian" Pastor who attacked Romney's religion on atheist Bill Mahers program during the last run-up. They both got some easy-shots in at the LDS culture on the program. They both got some un-answered comedy shots in on our beliefs. They laughed at how "funny" Latter-Day beliefs are compared to the Nicene-based religions of the day... And the "Chrisitan" Pastor gave some good foundation and credibility for Mahers contempt of LDS families.

Then the very next week...

Maher was back at mocking *all* religions, and mocking God generally... And making fun of both Latter-Day and creed-based "Christian" families... Maher has whole segments mocking modern "Christian" beliefs and families... Why would any "man of God" go on Mahers show to improve the Mahers money and ratings, and help Mahers reach in denigrating God? Do creed-based "Christians" really hate everyone else *that* much?!

I know you don't do it, but it is interesting to see common enemies, and enemies of God get treated with utmost respect when they take their sights off of *all* religions, and briefly aim solely at the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ... It is interesting to read "Christians" link to articles published by atheists... Yeah, they might have "studied" the Latter-Day movement to disprove it... They have also "disproved" creedal-based "Christianity" also... Makes no absolutely no sense to me...

Yeah, using empirical and scientific evidence with someone with no spiritual knowledge is not a tool I find effective all the time... Unbelievers ask for it, constantly, though...

But yeah, there are long, long lists of "scientists" who can "disprove" the teachings of the LDS Church...

Turns-out that on that list is a bunch of "scientists" who can also "disprove" (and mock) the teachings of creed-based Christianity too...

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just for the record, the ones I speak of are fine Christian men and Biblical scholars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "long list of scholars" who believe that Smith made it up... Probably has some cross-pollination with scholars who don't "believe" a single word in the Holy Bible, also...

Just for the record, the ones I speak of are fine Christian men and Biblical scholars.

And I am sure they are all referenced, peer-reviewed, and totally-unbiased...

In all the non-LDS "research" I have read that is academic, referenced, peer-reviewed, and unbiased... I have never seen a chapter heading with the word "cult" in it...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

John Hilton, who was the principal author of that study, is LDS.

View Quote

Scientific and peer-reviewed means somebody else with academic standards looked at the data, and verified it...

And that means absolutely, absolutely nothing when you are looking for *spiritual* answers...

The "scientific" and historical evidence, etc. answers just create a circle... The Bible cannot be proven with archeology, and "science," why should we expect the Book of Mormon to be any different...

Seriously...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you, I know what those terms mean.

It would probably be helpful if you read the post to which I was responding.  He claimed that the author was non-LDS as if it added some level of credibility.  I was merely pointing out that he was incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you, I know what those terms mean.

It would probably be helpful if you read the post to which I was responding.  He claimed that the author was non-LDS as if it added some level of credibility.  I was merely pointing out that he was incorrect.

Well... To be honest... I had never heard of the study he referenced.  And when trying to prove something that can only be proven by *faith* any "study" is more-than-likely bordering on useless.

Quoted:

Not  all the evaluators were Mormons.  Some studies were done by LDS members.  One of the best one done, was a  peer reviewed study done by mostly non-LDS scholars from the University of  Berkeley.  

Somehow I doubt that any study done at Berkeley has a whole lot of LDS folks involved...

I wasn't trying to lecture you... Even if an LDS guy conducts a "study." It can be peer-reviewed by non-LDS academics, and published in a non-LDS academic paper... Which would corroborate extractrs claims "Not all the evaluators were Mormons..." In my opinion.

If it was peer-reviewed by non-LDS folks, and if it was published in a non-LDS academic paper, then I think extractrs claims would be accurate... If those are the facts...

Which --to be completely honest-- are completely useless, or at least trivial at best, in a discussion about faith...

Wasn't trying to lecture, just to point out how he could be correct, given the information...

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it goes without saying that if Joseph Smith wrote the BoM, he was one talented author.

For everyone who is going to say someone else wrote it and Smith stole it, let me clarify: if a single person wrote the BoM, that person should have considered a career as an author of fiction.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I saw differently.

A pure, holy, righteous God is going to hate sin.  A just God will punish unrighteousness.  

And a loving God will have mercy and offer grace to those who repent and humble themselves before Him.

Same God, either testament.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really a simple matter.

If you believe that God was once a sinful man, who became an  exalted man/god, and that you possibly could become an exalted man/ god yourself one day, the Mormon religion is for you.

If you believe God is eternal, and is the Creator, not a created being himself, and is and always was pure, holy and righteous - then Mormonism is not consistent with your belief, much less consistent with Christianity.

When the foundation is flawed and crumbling, I don't need to examine the entire building to know I don't want to buy it.
A casual read through the old testament can lead you to question these assertions.

That's exactly what happened to me as a catholic boy.

I believed in a pure, holy, righteous and loving god, as this is what we were taught in school and in church.

What I saw in the OT was not any of those things.

As you describe its like finding out that the basement that your house is on has been crumbling all this time and you never knew it.

This realization caused me to shift from christianity to a couple year period of deism.

I saw differently.

A pure, holy, righteous God is going to hate sin.  A just God will punish unrighteousness.  

And a loving God will have mercy and offer grace to those who repent and humble themselves before Him.

Same God, either testament.

That's your opinion.

I have mine.

That is why you are a Christian and I am no longer one.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Book of Mormon has been evaluated in that manner.  Both Joseph Smith's and Oliver Cowdrey's writing patterns have been conclusively shown to not be consistent with the writing in the Book of Mormon. Furthermore, numerous different writing styles have been discovered in the book.  

Just to be clear, those "evaluators" were Mormons.  I could give you a long list of researchers that are positive that Joseph Smith was a total fake. Would that change your mind?  Of course not.

That is why it is not productive for us to argue about this issue.  You "believe" it is authentic.  I do not.  And neither does any other Christian.  Neither of us will change our minds.

Discussing "what we believe" can be worthwhile.  Arguing about who is right is not.

Not  all the evaluators were Mormons.  Some studies were done by LDS members.  One of the best one done, was a  peer reviewed study done by mostly non-LDS scholars from the University of  Berkely.  that looked at the writing styles of Smith, Cowdrey, and Solomen Spaulding and compared them to the principal authors of the Book of Mormon

Some of their results:

Authors                                             Cumulative chance of being the same author

This is a roughly 1 in 15 trillion chance of Nephi and Alma having the same author. Hilton rightly terms this "statistical overkill".

I'm not posting this to argue.  Just to show evidence that Smith did not write the Book of Mormon as people claim.

Thus why I said mostly non LDS authors.   He was the only LDS guy.  That is what makes it different then most of the studies out there.  Both sides you could say we're involved with the research.  Most studies opposing the church as well as supporting it are not surprisingly only one sided.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have another question for our  traditional Christian friends.

If man can obtain salvation simply by accepting Christ, what is the purpose of organized religion? Why shouldn't we all just accept Christ and do our own thing (assuming that thing conforms to the gospel of Christ)?
View Quote

I have long believed that no church is necessary for salvation, That it may actually be detrimental to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have long believed that no church is necessary for salvation, That it may actually be detrimental to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have another question for our  traditional Christian friends.

If man can obtain salvation simply by accepting Christ, what is the purpose of organized religion? Why shouldn't we all just accept Christ and do our own thing (assuming that thing conforms to the gospel of Christ)?

Because one only can understand the objective word of god when it has been subjectively interpreted by fallible human beings.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just a FYI: Your (at times) condescending attitude makes you no better than the religious folks you're trying to put yourself above.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why you are a Christian and I am no longer one.

Just a FYI: Your (at times) condescending attitude makes you no better than the religious folks you're trying to put yourself above.

I don't want to be above 75% of the US population, just equal to it.

Not to mention, this is GD.  We have a condescending attitude to everyone who has an opinion opposite of ours.

Name a topic that this isn't true for.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is case after case after case of personal testimonies of Mormons who have taken the time to go through actual church material (not what you refer to as anti-Mormon material) who found that time and time again, the church has covered up, and/or changed the story of church history to cover up embarrassing situations and doctrines.

And they left the religion, not because of sin in their lives (and no one is without sin in their lives anyway), but because of the deceit of the church.

Jesus never lies.  Never deceives. Never covers up.  Never practices guile.

God never told anyone to trust any church.

Ac 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Christians point people to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Religious people point others to their religion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1981/08/kinderhook-plates-brought-to-joseph-smith-appear-to-be-a-nineteenth-century-hoax?lang=eng

It's interesting that the History of the (LDS) Church says Joseph Smith translated them, but in 1981 a LDS historian says he didn't.

It's my understanding that the account of Smith's "translation" of the fraudulent plates is the subject of some controversy.

I'm curious to know where the supposed "translation" is?  I'm aware that Smith looked at the kinderhook plates, and there was a belief and expectation by those believing their authenticity that Joseph would translate them, but I'm not aware of any actual translation ever being done.

There is case after case after case of personal testimonies of Mormons who have taken the time to go through actual church material (not what you refer to as anti-Mormon material) who found that time and time again, the church has covered up, and/or changed the story of church history to cover up embarrassing situations and doctrines.

And they left the religion, not because of sin in their lives (and no one is without sin in their lives anyway), but because of the deceit of the church.

Jesus never lies.  Never deceives. Never covers up.  Never practices guile.

God never told anyone to trust any church.

Ac 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Christians point people to the Lord Jesus Christ.

Religious people point others to their religion.

Thanks for your posts Criley (and O_P, Grazer, Zhukov, Shane, Mobil1, and everybody else).  I'm learning a lot in this thread.

"If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed.”
– President J. Reuben Clark –

http://cesletter.com/Letter-to-a-CES-Director.pdf

I was pretty impressed with some of the things I've observed about the LDS, and began genuinely wondering if they had something I was lacking and needed in my life.  I visited the local LDS Church three times, they were pretty friendly.  I then ordered a copy of the BoM that fall and prayed and began reading.  I only got about half way through and had to stop.  It was a constant struggle and I couldn't force myself to read any more of it.  It is definitely not for me.  I spent many an hour on many a night asking questions via email and reading online material.  I tried really hard to ignore all the Mormon bashing that seamed to literally abound on the web, and sought to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I know how much bashing Christianity receives, so I figured it was probably just the same.  I can unequivocally say that I could never believe in the BoM, and I felt spiritually imperiled for even having tried to read it.  It was not what I was expecting....

As some others have previously said, I'll defend their right to their beliefs all day, but it is certainly not for me.  

I do sort of have a complaint against their faith, and that is this:  Why in the world aren't you guys more up front about some of the controversial things you believe?

I mean come on.....    You believe that God used to be a mortal man?  And further-- that men can become Gods just like him?  And to top it off, you didn't think that'd be noteworthy for prospective members of your faith to be told about up front?  I waisted literally days of my life (were it all added up) doing research and trying to debunk claims against you guys, only to find out you really do believe that kind of stuff?

My issue really isn't that you do believe it, so much as it is that you don't advertise it up front.  Has the thought ever crossed your minds that that's going to make people suspicious when they finally find stuff like that out?  It isn't like it just slipped your mind and you forgot to tell me....?

Irritated rant: OFF

I found a lot of my own concerns mentioned and answered seemingly pretty convincingly in the link up above.  I found it posted early in this thread (yes--- I actually read all 43 pages), and while I've seen many claims against the LDS in this thread rebuffed because they came from non-LDS folk, that wouldn't seem to be the case with the fellow above.  I saw zero responses to it (maybe my now half-blind 43 page eyes missed it?), and thought it odd.

What is you guy's take on the "Letter to a CES Director"?

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks for your posts Criley (and O_P, Grazer, Zhukov, Shane, Mobil1, and everybody else).  I'm learning a lot in this thread.

"If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have not the truth, it ought to be harmed.”
– President J. Reuben Clark –

http://cesletter.com/Letter-to-a-CES-Director.pdf

I was pretty impressed with some of the things I've observed about the LDS, and began genuinely wondering if they had something I was lacking and needed in my life.  I visited the local LDS Church three times, they were pretty friendly.  I then ordered a copy of the BoM that fall and prayed and began reading.  I only got about half way through and had to stop.  It was a constant struggle and I couldn't force myself to read any more of it.  It is definitely not for me.  I spent many an hour on many a night asking questions via email and reading online material.  I tried really hard to ignore all the Mormon bashing that seamed to literally abound on the web, and sought to give them the benefit of the doubt.  I know how much bashing Christianity receives, so I figured it was probably just the same.  I can unequivocally say that I could never believe in the BoM, and I felt spiritually imperiled for even having tried to read it.  It was not what I was expecting....

As some others have previously said, I'll defend their right to their beliefs all day, but it is certainly not for me.  

I do sort of have a complaint against their faith, and that is this:  Why in the world aren't you guys more up front about some of the controversial things you believe?

I mean come on.....    You believe that God used to be a mortal man?  And further-- that men can become Gods just like him?  And to top it off, you didn't think that'd be noteworthy for prospective members of your faith to be told about up front?  I waisted literally days of my life (were it all added up) doing research and trying to debunk claims against you guys, only to find out you really do believe that kind of stuff?

My issue really isn't that you do believe it, so much as it is that you don't advertise it up front.  Has the thought ever crossed your minds that that's going to make people suspicious when they finally find stuff like that out?  It isn't like it just slipped your mind and you forgot to tell me....?

Irritated rant: OFF

I found a lot of my own concerns mentioned and answered seemingly pretty convincingly in the link up above.  I found it posted early in this thread (yes--- I actually read all 43 pages), and while I've seen many claims against the LDS in this thread rebuffed because they came from non-LDS folk, that wouldn't seem to be the case with the fellow above.  I saw zero responses to it (maybe my now half-blind 43 page eyes missed it?), and thought it odd.

View Quote

The letter quotes many of the same controversial points that have already been asked and answered in this thread.   It has largely been ignored due to the fact that the author is very disingenuous on many claims about the church, and the fact that this thread is mainly christians agains mormons and the author of the letter is an avowed athiest.
One question I have for you, what in the BoM gave you the feeling that you were spiritually imperiled?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am not trying to put down your belief and am being serious in my inquiry.  

Your example is good, but it raises questions about statements  that other born agains have made on here.   When does that "lifeline" get tied on?  it has been said, it's when you say you accept Christ and are saved.  

Then I brought up the scenario, a person says they accept Christ, and are "saved". Say they live a good life for a few years, and  then that person goes out and murders or rapes, or commits many other grievous sins, and essentially turns away from a Christlike life. Will they still go to heaven and earn the same reward as those that lived a Christian life?  Some say yes they will.  If so, that would seem to make God a very unjust God.  Not trying to be disrespectful, but it would seem to make a mockery of Christ's suffering in that someone with no intent to follow him says they believe just to be "covered", and they will still receive his grace.

Some born agains I have talked to have said  no, because that person  wasn't truly born again.  And if they are not born again, they won't be saved.  If that is the case, then it would seem works matter and determine if you are born again or not.

Just trying to understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mormons believe in Deeds.

Christians believe in Grace.

Big difference.

You know little of either, clearly.

I lived in a predominately Mormon community for several years and was involved in the rescue of Christians from Mormons.  Actually I know quite a bit about it.

Just like Mormons will tell you they believe in the same Jesus that Christians believe but really don't the Mormons will tell you they believe in Grace and in their own minds they do.  However, that is not the Grace that Christians believe in, which is the very foundation the Christian church.

http://coldcasechristianity.com/2012/the-difference-between-christian-grace-and-mormon-grace/

The Difference Between Christian Grace and Mormon Grace

So, What’s the Difference Between Mormon Grace and Christian Grace?

The Christian view of grace doesn’t involve a ladder of any kind; in Christian theology, Jesus doesn’t bring us a ladder to climb. Instead, Jesus drops us a lifeline, a rope He climbs down and ties to each of us. Jesus then pulls us up on his own, in spite of our own inability. It doesn’t matter how heavy we are or where we are in our journey toward sanctification. We simply have to trust him to tie the lifeline. Mormonism is a works based religion, like many other world religions. In fact, in this one regard, Mormonism is like every other world religion. Christianity stands alone as the only religion that offers true “grace” to its adherents. Salvation is not the result of anything we do. God offers it as a free gift; not a free opportunity to work hard for our salvation, but a truly free gift that needs no additional contribution on our part. This distinction is critical and it separates Mormonism from Christianity, not as a separate denomination, but as a completely separate notion about the nature and saving work of God.

Excellent description.  I would be surprised if Mormon apologists have denied it 87 times or more by this point in the thread, though.

I am not trying to put down your belief and am being serious in my inquiry.  

Your example is good, but it raises questions about statements  that other born agains have made on here.   When does that "lifeline" get tied on?  it has been said, it's when you say you accept Christ and are saved.  

Then I brought up the scenario, a person says they accept Christ, and are "saved". Say they live a good life for a few years, and  then that person goes out and murders or rapes, or commits many other grievous sins, and essentially turns away from a Christlike life. Will they still go to heaven and earn the same reward as those that lived a Christian life?  Some say yes they will.  If so, that would seem to make God a very unjust God.  Not trying to be disrespectful, but it would seem to make a mockery of Christ's suffering in that someone with no intent to follow him says they believe just to be "covered", and they will still receive his grace.

Some born agains I have talked to have said  no, because that person  wasn't truly born again.  And if they are not born again, they won't be saved.  If that is the case, then it would seem works matter and determine if you are born again or not.

Just trying to understand.

The side I tend to take is that of the "people who commit grievous sins after a profession of faith were never truly born again" group.  There are Biblical defenses of this position but they can (and have) been interpreted in different ways, so I'll hold off on those for now.

More to the point of sins and what one does about them, going by Psalm 37:12 as one of many examples to the same effect, unsaved people plan their grievous sins in advance.  A born-again will still commit sins, but they are (I believe) generally unplanned, and/or non-grievous sins.

I would (and this example is in my mind only) still accept a person as born-again if he, say, as a youth pastor has consensual sex with a girl in the youth group, and admits his wrong-doing to God and halts that behavior. (generally unplanned/non-grievous)

I would NOT accept a person as born-again if he does the above, denies (to God) that it is wrong, and continues it in a "committed" fashion. (planned behavior)

I would NOT accept a person as born-again if he does the above, except it was rape instead of consensual.  (grievous sin)

Again, this is one example and not meant to be all-inclusive.

...however, I want to be clear on something since I think you're anticipating me saying the opposite, so here goes:

Avoiding sin is not a "good work." If anything, it is a neutral work.

Confessing sin is also not a "good work."  

Accepting grace is only a "good work" insofar as it is God's work in giving you grace in the first place; so it has nothing to do with YOUR actions but rather HIS love and HIS power to wipe you clean of sin.

All our good works are as filthy rags per Isaiah 64:6.  Only one sin mixed in amongst our lifetime's good works WILL keep us out of heaven if it is not asked forgiveness for (through the grace given by the Christ), prior to death.

To believe anything apart from the above is to deny God's nature, God's grace, and God's promises...in which case it logically follows that you will not receive grace (and forgiveness for your sins) and, upon death, will be condemned to an existence permanently separated from God.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which one of those are your typical Mormon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because Mormons claim to be Christians.  That's offensive to Christians.  Christians do not claim to be Mormons....

If Christians were really Christians and true adherents to their faith they wouldn't take offense at anything. I may be a Mormon but Jesus was pretty clear on that point.

You would do well to read 1 Corinthians 5:11 some time.  We who are Christians are NOT associated with you, and any lies stating that we are must always be addressed.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Which one of those are your typical Mormon?

A Mormon who calls himself a Christian is covetous.

A Mormon who believes Joseph Smith is a prophet (and that Moroni is an angel, or that the golden plates were ordained by God) is an idolator.

A few Mormons in this thread have conducted themselves like railers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just thinking more about that analogy.

The example of the rope and the ladder is a good example in explaining the differences,  but in the end,   both people would reach the top.  

Whether you had a rope tied to you and were lifted as mainstream Christianity believes, or you climbed as high as you could, and Christ pulled you up the rest of the way as Mormons believe, both are at the same point.    

The big difference is, the one who climbed would be stronger, then the one who had the free ride.

Doing good is not easy,  it builds ones character and helps one to develop a deeper stronger faith.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, What’s the Difference Between Mormon Grace and Christian Grace?

The Christian view of grace doesn’t involve a ladder of any kind; in Christian theology, Jesus doesn’t bring us a ladder to climb. Instead, Jesus drops us a lifeline, a rope He climbs down and ties to each of us. Jesus then pulls us up on his own, in spite of our own inability. It doesn’t matter how heavy we are or where we are in our journey toward sanctification. We simply have to trust him to tie the lifeline. Mormonism is a works based religion, like many other world religions. In fact, in this one regard, Mormonism is like every other world religion. Christianity stands alone as the only religion that offers true “grace” to its adherents. Salvation is not the result of anything we do. God offers it as a free gift; not a free opportunity to work hard for our salvation, but a truly free gift that needs no additional contribution on our part. This distinction is critical and it separates Mormonism from Christianity, not as a separate denomination, but as a completely separate notion about the nature and saving work of God.

Excellent description.  I would be surprised if Mormon apologists have denied it 87 times or more by this point in the thread, though.

Just thinking more about that analogy.

The example of the rope and the ladder is a good example in explaining the differences,  but in the end,   both people would reach the top.  

Whether you had a rope tied to you and were lifted as mainstream Christianity believes, or you climbed as high as you could, and Christ pulled you up the rest of the way as Mormons believe, both are at the same point.    

The big difference is, the one who climbed would be stronger, then the one who had the free ride.

Doing good is not easy,  it builds ones character and helps one to develop a deeper stronger faith.

You would do well to read Matthew 20:1-16.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I post in these threads because because:

1. People are sinners who need to be reconciled to God, and God made that possible for us through what He did for us on the cross. Jesus bore our sins, died to pay for our sins, and rose again from the dead.  He did ALL the work and He paid ALL the price.  Salvation is a gift freely offered by God.  Those who take God up on His offer have their sins forgiven.

2. There are counterfeits out there.  Mormonism isn't the only one.  God didn't give men religions to save them...  God saves sinners Himself.  Some people need to be shown the difference between a religion and a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  Some prefer their religion.  They are free to choose, but religions save no one.

Glad you are being informed.

God bless.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And one the cross he asked himself    "My God, My God, why have thou forsaken me?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus prayed to himself in the Garden?

YES.

And one the cross he asked himself    "My God, My God, why have thou forsaken me?"

YES.

....and I'll actually explain this part: He was asking this as a form of witness to the people around Him.  As a (human) man, God forsakes (turns away) from man's sins, and Christ was demonstrating this literally as He, as a man, was taking on all of man's present and future sins.

God was literally turning away from Christ's body (because of how it became sin), making Him (Christ's body) ask that question for our benefit.

Kinda like a rehearsed question from a "random" person in the audience at a talk show, political rally, etc; both the person asking and the person answering know the subject matter already, and are having the verbal exchange for the benefit/consideration of everyone else present.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The best info about any group can be found by ex members of that group.  They never have feelings of animosity towards the group.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way in hell.

ETA: OP, do some serious outside research on the history of the Mormon religion.

Or go to exmormon.org

That being said, I like Mormons.  They make great neighbors.  They are nice, productive and pleasant people.  Not sure I've ever met someone who coverted to Mormonism, though.

The best info about any group can be found by ex members of that group.  They never have feelings of animosity towards the group.

Maybe those feelings of animosity were justified.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:57:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know this must be a shock to my Mormon friends, but I have never, not even once, heard the Nicene Creed said at my church, in 66 years of attendance.

It is never even mentioned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically they all follow the Nicene Creed of 325AD.

I know this must be a shock to my Mormon friends, but I have never, not even once, heard the Nicene Creed said at my church, in 66 years of attendance.

It is never even mentioned.

Me neither.  Southern Baptist General Conventionist reporting in.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A Mormon who calls himself a Christian is covetous.

A Mormon who believes Joseph Smith is a prophet (and that Moroni is an angel, or that the golden plates were ordained by God) is an idolator.

A few Mormons in this thread have conducted themselves like railers.
View Quote

Thanks for that, you gave me a good chuckle,  especial the part where your call us covetous idolaters and then accuse US as being railers! This scripture has been quoted already in this thread but is very pertinent to your comments, at least that is how I see it
"1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Some of their results:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of their results:

What about Ethan Smith, the guy that wrote View of the Hebrews and the KJV Bible? What is the similarity to those two?

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly when Jesus was asked which commandmemt was the most important he said love God and love your neighbor as you would God.  I'm probably off on the wording.  Jesus has the say on if you make it to Heaven, anyone can claim they are holy, but only He can read your heart.

Grace is a simple word, the requires a lot of subtext.  I feel the same way about the last rights. If you haven't lived a righteous life, a confession on your death bed isn't going to save you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, here is a question about the traditional Christian concept of grace. Maybe the answer to this will help me understand it conceptually.

If God doesn't care whether we obey his laws or not, why does He give us commandments?

Why would God give Moses the 10 commandments if He didn't really care whether or not the people obeyed them?

Someone please address this. Inquiring minds want to know.

God does indeed "care" if we obey His Laws.  And BTW, the Ten Commandments are a very small part of His Laws, and were specifically meant for the Israelites.

But the New Testament explains that no man can possibly obey all of God's Laws.  But the Pharisees "thought" they were following all of them.  Jesus had to correct them and explain that even though they did not actually commit adultery, they lusted after women not their wives.  And even though they did not actually commit murder, they hated some people so much that it was the same thing.

They said to Jesus, "The how can any man be justified?"  Jesus told them about the New Birth.  "Ye must be born gain."

You cannot enter Heaven by obeying all the laws, even if you could (and you can't.)

Only by the Grace of Jesus can we be made Holy.

If I remember correctly when Jesus was asked which commandmemt was the most important he said love God and love your neighbor as you would God.  I'm probably off on the wording.  Jesus has the say on if you make it to Heaven, anyone can claim they are holy, but only He can read your heart.

Grace is a simple word, the requires a lot of subtext.  I feel the same way about the last rights. If you haven't lived a righteous life, a confession on your death bed isn't going to save you.

So, there must be a maximum age after which a person can no longer "see the light" and become a Mormon, right?  

Not a lot of time or ability to do many works after a whole life of unrighteousness at, say, age 80.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree with that statement 100%.  That's why "pretending" to be a believer is a waste of time. It is also why Pascal's wager means nothing.

I would disagree only to say that if a death bed confession is truly sincere, then God can forgive and Save that person.  The thief on the cross is an example.

One of my favorite quotes:  "There is a grinning thief walking the streets of Heaven that knows more about Grace than a thousand theologians."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus has the say on if you make it to Heaven, anyone can claim they are holy, but only He can read your heart.

I agree with that statement 100%.  That's why "pretending" to be a believer is a waste of time. It is also why Pascal's wager means nothing.

Grace is a simple word, the requires a lot of subtext.  I feel the same way about the last rights.  If you haven't lived a righteous life, a confession on your death bed isn't going to save you.

I would disagree only to say that if a death bed confession is truly sincere, then God can forgive and Save that person.  The thief on the cross is an example.

One of my favorite quotes:  "There is a grinning thief walking the streets of Heaven that knows more about Grace than a thousand theologians."

Interesting point.  I had never thought of it that way before.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Like I mentioned above; Christians have been unified in their belief about the nature of God since the time of Christ. You can't come along 1800 years later and change the definition of Christ. It's like me saying "I've written my own book of Mormon that exalts the flying Spaghetti Monster," call myself a Mormon, and then not expect a Mormon to take issue with that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Do you believe the Articles of Faith define the LDS church?

Yes but that is one denomination, we don't have the gall to say is defines all of Christianity.

Like I mentioned above; Christians have been unified in their belief about the nature of God since the time of Christ. You can't come along 1800 years later and change the definition of Christ. It's like me saying "I've written my own book of Mormon that exalts the flying Spaghetti Monster," call myself a Mormon, and then not expect a Mormon to take issue with that.

Good analogy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Read back through the thread, I'm cool with the folks here who claim we aren't Christian. With the exception of a few folks who I won't respond to, I don't think the posters here think Mormons are "bad."

I do however  place a lot of emphasis on intellectual consistency. I'd argue that Westboro does not believe in the traditional Christian concept of God...because the traditional Christian God doesn't hate anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hold on.

Really?

Westboro meets muster and Mormons don't?

Mormons = not Christian because our concept of God doesn't conform with the concept of the Triune God. Okay I get that and like I said before am okay with that argument.

Westboro = Christian because they profess Christ? They profess that "God hates fags" and other disgusting vitirol that perverts of the love of God and the virtue of Christ. How does that conform with the traditional Christian concept of the nature of God?

Just because they profess Christian faiths doesn't make them good.

... the same way that just because you aren't a Christian faith doesn't make you bad. You place too much emphasis on that, thinking that because I don't think you're Christian means that you're somehow bad or something. You're different; not bad.

Read back through the thread, I'm cool with the folks here who claim we aren't Christian. With the exception of a few folks who I won't respond to, I don't think the posters here think Mormons are "bad."

I do however  place a lot of emphasis on intellectual consistency. I'd argue that Westboro does not believe in the traditional Christian concept of God...because the traditional Christian God doesn't hate anyone.

Psalm 5:5
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
This thread is still going?
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Thread", "evangelical dog[ma] pile", "train wreck", etc, etc, etc. I check back now and then to see if water is still wet. Sure enough... it is!

Quoted:

Awesome. A LOT of "theologians" hitting people over the head with their bibles right here in this thread. Wonderful stuff as always. Very educational. Very graceful/gracious. (Matt 7:3-5)
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, I think one of the best examples of Joseph smiths translation of the bible is in exodus, where the King James Version says something along the line of "The Lord hardend pharaohs heart", while Joseph's retranslated version says  "pharaoh hardened his heart." Most his translations are like that, shame he never got to finish it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not being that familiar with LDS doctrines, what other parts of the Bible did Smith say were corrupted other than the Trinity argument?

Most churches read from the Bible and come up with honest differences in interpretation but they don't go and write a new Bible and call it inspired. If the original Bible has been corrupted why use any of it?  

One more question/observation. In the 1800's nobody was writing or speaking in the Kings English like the KJV was written. I've read from books written at the time by others that claimed to be prophets and they were written as the language was spoken at the time.

Well, I think one of the best examples of Joseph smiths translation of the bible is in exodus, where the King James Version says something along the line of "The Lord hardend pharaohs heart", while Joseph's retranslated version says  "pharaoh hardened his heart." Most his translations are like that, shame he never got to finish it.

Trying to take power away from God and pervert His word, one verse at a time.

Yup, sure does fit Joseph Smith quite well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I was just thinking.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Some people just are not getting it... and so they ask "What sins can or can't you commit and still be saved?"

Human beings are sinners and HAVE NO RIGHTEOUSNESS of their own, according to their Creator.

Religious people are self-righteous.  They perform religious ritual and think their participation in those rituals makes them acceptable in Gods eyes.

There is only ONE WAY to be acceptable in God's eyes and that is to have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ.

That righteousness is GIVEN to those who humble themselves before God and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

A person either has, or doesn't have God's righteousness imputed to them...

ALL of us are guilty.

Jesus alone is righteous.

Jesus went to the cross bearing ALL of our sins.  He paid for them ALL - sins of the past, present and future.

Jesus saves SOULS.  He didn't save our bodies - they are still just as sinful as ever.  The world is still just as wicked as ever.

But what we do have is the indwelling Holy Spirit that helps us resist temptations and/or points our sins out to us...  and if we sin leads us to repent.  Some saved souls resist the Spirit - grieving the Spirit - and their consciences are seared.  That's why the Bible tells Christians that there is a sin unto death - God will take some souls out in some situations - but they are still saved.

The self-righteous, religious person always comes up with the "Well what about ________________ (fill in the blank with some sort of sinner).  They can't be saved."

Jesus atoned for ALL sin.  Period.  The End.  He paid it all.

Trust Him and be saved.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some people just are not getting it... and so they ask "What sins can or can't you commit and still be saved?"

Human beings are sinners and HAVE NO RIGHTEOUSNESS of their own, according to their Creator.

Religious people are self-righteous.  They perform religious ritual and think their participation in those rituals makes them acceptable in Gods eyes.

There is only ONE WAY to be acceptable in God's eyes and that is to have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ.

That righteousness is GIVEN to those who humble themselves before God and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

ALL of us are guilty.

Jesus went to the cross bearing ALL of our sins.  He paid for them ALL - sins of the past, present and future.

Jesus saves SOULS.  He didn't save our bodies - they are still just as sinful as ever.  The world is still just as wicked as ever.

But what we do have is the indwelling Holy Spirit that helps us resist temptations and/or points our sins out to us...  and if we sin leads us to repent.  Some saved souls resist the Spirit - grieving the Spirit - and their consciences are seared.  That's why the Bible tells Christians that there is a sin unto death - God will take some souls out in some situations - but they are still saved.

The self-righteous, religious person always comes up with the "Well what about ________________ (fill in the blank with some sort of sinner).  They can't be saved."

Trust Him and be saved.
View Quote

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... trust in Jesus... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...  X infinity!

"Put your faith in Jesus ALONE." We get it. Cool. 'Nuff said. Your cause/mission would be well-served to leave it at that.

Or... you could just continue beating everyone around you senseless with YOUR preferred 2X4 and smugly pat yourself on the back for a good and righteous deed. (Is there ANY doubt that's how you roll?)

Cripes... religious threads in GD never fail to remind me of the Blessed Cheesemakers...

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's an honest letter from a former Mormon who looked in to all the contradictions and inconsistencies in the religion.  He wrote the letter and received no response, because there are no answers aside from the religion is not true.

Unfortunately, many Mormons not only reject their religion when they find out they have been duped, they reject the notion of God as well.

He tried religion, and it wasn't what he thought it was.  I hope the young man will heal from his experiences, and actually turn to God one day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's amazing that hearing about the mercy, love and grace of God angers so many people.

Especially religious people.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

ALL of us are guilty.

Trust Him and be saved.
View Quote

I agree 100%, you may not believe that but I do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Perhaps something related to Mormons that we can all agree on.

Just listening to these on youtube recently, and can see how right on he was.  This are some small snippets from Ezra Taft Benson, former president of the LDS church. The first was from a speech given in the 60's after serving as Secretary of Agriculture under President Eisenhower.  He warns about the increase of socialism.

And this was given later in talking about the destruction of the constitution and how the righteous citizens of this country will be the ones that save it.

He has some other good talks about standing up for freedom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Political persuasions won't matter in eternity.

Making sure you trust the Lord Jesus Christ of the Holy Bible will.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's amazing that hearing about the mercy, love and grace of God angers so many people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just keep-on keepin' on with your awesomeness. The roar of it must be deafening!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good analogy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good analogy.

It is delusional to think that there was "unity" in beliefs in the early church... Where do you guys come-up with this? Seriously.

The "unity" came in the form of the Nicene Creed, bought-and-paid-for by a Pagan ruler who wanted "unity."

The "unity" in the "Christian" belief about the nature of God *after* the creed came in the name of the Catholic Church.

It is delusional to think that the Pagan Constantine didn't influence the Nicene Creed. That would be like saying Bloomberg didn't influence the Colorado vote.

It is incorrect to think that there was complete unity in Christian beliefs and practices prior to the Pagan Constantine seeking more power and control and influence over the rising number of Christians under his rule...

You have to go to the post-creed church to find "unity" in beliefs...

The *early* church? There is a reason the Pagan Constantine needed to call (and pay for) a Council... Here is a clue... There *wasn't* unity until *after* the council...

The *early* church? There were still 'apostate" groups believing and practicing baptism for the dead and believing in a three-separate Godhead (among other sometimes wacky beliefs), a hundred years *after* the ink hit paper on the Pagan Constantine's creed...

The "unity" modern "Christians" talk about is the unity that came from the early creeds and in the church it created: The Catholic Church.

There was no "unity" prior to Constantine's creed... That is some stretch of the historical imagination... Given the fact that there were outlying groups still practicing baptism for the dead and believing different non-creedal beliefs about God a hundred years after the Pagan Constantine's creed...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I left it for several days almost a week ago...

Seriously.

I found it again on the first page of GD when I logged in... "This is *still* going...? That was a couple days ago...

If this isn't a world arfcom record for a Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ bashing thread, then it has to be getting close...

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Except there hasn't been so much "bashing" as simple disagreement.  Disagreeing with your doctrine is not bashing.  It doesn't mean that we "hate" you.  It simply means that we disagree.

This thread would have been locked long ago if there wasn't a general spirit of "discussion and disagreement", instead of bashing and insults.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this isn't a world arfcom record for a Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ bashing thread, then it has to be getting close...

Except there hasn't been so much "bashing" as simple disagreement.  Disagreeing with your doctrine is not bashing.  It doesn't mean that we "hate" you.  It simply means that we disagree.

This thread would have been locked long ago if there wasn't a general spirit of "discussion and disagreement", instead of bashing and insults.

Yeah... I don't think you have ever tried to disagree as anything other than a gentleman.

The same *cannot* be said of all the rest of your side of the line in this thread...

Quoted:

Mormoms take pride in lying, it is very apparent here.  If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck...............

Yeah... It would be unfair to paint with too broad of a brush... And you have tried to keep your hits where they would score points... Likewise, honestly, so have I...

But... As always... Sometimes shots wander "below the belt" in these types of threads...

Yeah, I would make the call, "Mormons take pride in lying" is "LDS bashing" and most certainly an example of  below-the-belt shots common in these types of threads...
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top