BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And thats where you loose any credibility or hope of being taken seriously.  You really are speaking like a brainwashed cult follower.  Your "Prophet" has more in common with David Koresh then someone a true Christian would be willing to follow.  

Even the so called 3 witnesses all were either excommunicated or left the church for disagreements or varying beliefs.  Some reports even have them recounting the events leading to the founding of Mormonism.  Some eventually came back but doesn't seem very sincere for people who just supposedly witnessed one of the greatest events ever.  Isn't it funny how most of the witnesses including the additional 8 were related?

I have witnessed first hand how the LDS can change people, both good and bad.  My wifes family is great and very loving, caring and responsible.  I have relatives on my moms side that have absolutely been destroyed by their "faith" though.  Flat broke, kids they can't afford but feel obligated to keep having, alienating themselves from family, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that not what The Savior taught?  What ministers of Joseph Smith's day had the Authority of God to declare their particular sect good to go, then condemn the other?  Smith wanted to know which of them to join, if any, and was commanded by God to join none of them.  That makes the most sense since they were mudslinging each other, and had extremely different interpretations of the Bible, which hasn't changed.

If you repent of misleading the children of God, go your way, and sin no more by following His Teachings and example, kinda hard to go wrong with that.  Since God appointed Joseph Smith as the first living Prophet since the early Christian Church, and commanded him to preach repentance to his generation, he gets more than a pass.

You, on the other hand, lack any authority on the matter.  You have been filled with lies about God's true Church, and are doubling down on it, because some wicked and corrupt minister told you a bunch of hogwash about Mormons, who seem to be the constant target of sects like this.  It's really weird, when you stop and think about the fixation that some of these people who claim to be followers of Christ on one hand, then devote so much effort to attacking one particular faith.

I've said this before, where do people find the time to blow away so much of their lives in attempting to drag down people from another Faith, and why?  The, "We're trying to save you from your version of Jesus."  isn't going to work, especially among people who have a very close relationship with the Savior that brings true happiness.  There's only one real answer, ans that is the adversary has a hold of your heart.

And thats where you loose any credibility or hope of being taken seriously.  You really are speaking like a brainwashed cult follower.  Your "Prophet" has more in common with David Koresh then someone a true Christian would be willing to follow.  

Even the so called 3 witnesses all were either excommunicated or left the church for disagreements or varying beliefs.  Some reports even have them recounting the events leading to the founding of Mormonism.  Some eventually came back but doesn't seem very sincere for people who just supposedly witnessed one of the greatest events ever.  Isn't it funny how most of the witnesses including the additional 8 were related?

I have witnessed first hand how the LDS can change people, both good and bad.  My wifes family is great and very loving, caring and responsible.  I have relatives on my moms side that have absolutely been destroyed by their "faith" though.  Flat broke, kids they can't afford but feel obligated to keep having, alienating themselves from family, etc.

Nowhere, does any doctrine, say keep having kids you can't support. Nor does any doctrine support alienating their family, but some individuals are less than rational. On the other hand, Wards regularly pay rent, all utilities, and all food for these families and similar. I've written methadone checks for members returning and getting help with addiction.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that not what The Savior taught?  What ministers of Joseph Smith's day had the Authority of God to declare their particular sect good to go, then condemn the other?  Smith wanted to know which of them to join, if any, and was commanded by God to join none of them.  That makes the most sense since they were mudslinging each other, and had extremely different interpretations of the Bible, which hasn't changed.

If you repent of misleading the children of God, go your way, and sin no more by following His Teachings and example, kinda hard to go wrong with that.  Since God appointed Joseph Smith as the first living Prophet since the early Christian Church, and commanded him to preach repentance to his generation, he gets more than a pass.

You, on the other hand, lack any authority on the matter.  You have been filled with lies about God's true Church, and are doubling down on it, because some wicked and corrupt minister told you a bunch of hogwash about Mormons, who seem to be the constant target of sects like this.  It's really weird, when you stop and think about the fixation that some of these people who claim to be followers of Christ on one hand, then devote so much effort to attacking one particular faith.

I've said this before, where do people find the time to blow away so much of their lives in attempting to drag down people from another Faith, and why?  The, "We're trying to save you from your version of Jesus."  isn't going to work, especially among people who have a very close relationship with the Savior that brings true happiness.  There's only one real answer, ans that is the adversary has a hold of your heart.

The world doesn't have a good track record with receiving Prophets' messages, if you recall.

Joseph Smith like David Koresh huh?

The 3 witnesses never retracted their testimonies about the plates, and were even called out on it.  I don't believe these events based on other people's witnesses though.  I knelt down when I was 13, asked God if he was there, and had a profound, life-changing experience that I can only best describe as being born again in a spiritual sense.

At that time, everything in my life changed, and I no longer believed, but now knew that God lives, His Son, Jesus Christ, is the only way back to Him, and I was on the right track.  That kind of faith does not destroy people.  People will run with the ball different ways, but at the end of the day, every man has to face this life for himself and find out what he's doing.

For me, I learned for a fact that I wasn't alone, and had The Son of God picking up my slack, and there is no better point man than Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nobody is "good people" just because the are nice - Romans 3:10, just keeping it real, no not even me as some seem think that is what I am saying

That said, even though you are a vile sinner , just like me, you come to SWFL and I'll share my MGs and ammo with ANY of you anytime.
View Quote

Again, you're equating a football sidebar discussion to the main topic. It is not. No one was talking nice or good being a determiner of jesusness. Likewise if I talk about Tim Tebow, I'm not talking about the southern Jehovah in a serious sense. You dont need to reply with a verse from a book you dont understand, I promise you I dont think Timmy is in fact the second coming of our lord and savior jesus christ. I'm not bearing false witness to the southern god of football. I do however think Jameis Winston could use a verse or two from the Book of Jonah.

Mormons live a christlike life, period. They exemplify it in their words and deeds. Hell, in this very thread there is a stark difference between them and the trolls-for-satan, aka Baptists/Lutherans.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This

Mormons are NOT Christians
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are super nice people but the "Jesus" they mention and profess to believe in isn't the Jesus found in the Bible.  

A false gospel is what you will hear.

This

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Nowhere, does any doctrine, say keep having kids you can't support. Nor does any doctrine support alienating their family, but some individuals are less than rational. On the other hand, Wards regularly pay rent, all utilities, and all food for these families and similar. I've written methadone checks for members returning and getting help with addiction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem is there are many different sects that preach and require different things it seems.  In Arizona the Mormons were completely different then here in Idaho.  They felt they had to Tithe as much as they could, which was actually more then they could, and also had to continue to have kids to reach heaven.

I have said, the majority of Mormons I know are great and selfless people.  Sounds like you are one as well.  Doesn't change the facts surrounding Mormonism though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why do christians jump into discussions about atheism?

My not believing in god doesn't mean I'm not interested in hearing why people do. I'm sure that's a two way street.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, I promise not trying to be a jerk.

Why do atheist jump into discussions about God?

Why do christians jump into discussions about atheism?

My not believing in god doesn't mean I'm not interested in hearing why people do. I'm sure that's a two way street.

Further, why are Baptists, Protestants and Catholics dropping in on a Mormon thread?

Same deal. We all like to talk.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I will answer your question, but I doubt that you will believe me.

I CARE because, believe it or not, I love my Mormon friends like juni4ling and shane333.  I believe they are making a serious mistake in following the religion of Joseph Smith.  It is a critical error and could have eternal results.

The Bible tells me that I should love those that disagree with me and that I should at least "try" to convince them of their errors.

The Bible tells me to, "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." - Jude 1:3

To do so does not mean that I "hate" them, but is only because I love them, and want them to come to know the Jesus that I know.

I do not make fun of them.  I do not try to insult them.  I do not say that they are "bad people".  I only tell them the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And some of them discuss our differences without either of us being insulting to each other.

Some others (on both sides) ought to give it a try.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh good grief. Why do some of you guys CARE so damn much if Mormons consider themselves Christian and believe what they do?

I will answer your question, but I doubt that you will believe me.

I CARE because, believe it or not, I love my Mormon friends like juni4ling and shane333.  I believe they are making a serious mistake in following the religion of Joseph Smith.  It is a critical error and could have eternal results.

The Bible tells me that I should love those that disagree with me and that I should at least "try" to convince them of their errors.

The Bible tells me to, "earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints." - Jude 1:3

To do so does not mean that I "hate" them, but is only because I love them, and want them to come to know the Jesus that I know.

I do not make fun of them.  I do not try to insult them.  I do not say that they are "bad people".  I only tell them the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And some of them discuss our differences without either of us being insulting to each other.

Some others (on both sides) ought to give it a try.

What he said. It's the same reason my good friend Old_Painless chats with me (always politely) in atheist threads. He truly cares, and I've always appreciated that.

I'd actually think less of you, if you never tried to convince me that I had it all wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been covered, but beyond being a religion, it's a lifestyle. They will load you up with church callings, and dominate your spare time like nobody's business.

Love 'em, but wouldn't want to be one.
View Quote

Actually, for the last two years, my calling has been on the "Provident living committee". (So easy, I could do it) My "spare" time is spent working trying to get a business off the ground. I get my home teacher to come over once a week to banter with me. The guy I am a home teacher for has been MIA (Who knows where this guy took off to) for over a year. At this point, I wouldn't mind being a scoutmaster, stuffed somewhere on the bishopric, kicked up to the stake, heck, high council would be nice and get me out of the ward to go visiting other wards. There really isn't much to do. When we get the last of the kids out of the house, my wife and I want to be a missionary couple and just go somewhere and do something.

I really NEED more stuff to do, I get into too much trouble with idle hands.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are super nice people but the "Jesus" they mention and profess to believe in isn't the Jesus found in the Bible.  

This

Oh wow! How original!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

http://www.win-vector.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sneetches.jpg

Why do you comment when you clearly don't know or care what Christian doctrine is? Strange how all the atheist come to the defense of Mormon doctrine?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually, for the last two years, my calling has been on the "Provident living committee". (So easy, I could do it) My "spare" time is spent working trying to get a business off the ground. I get my home teacher to come over once a week to banter with me. The guy I am a home teacher for has been MIA (Who knows where this guy took off to) for over a year. At this point, I wouldn't mind being a scoutmaster, stuffed somewhere on the bishopric, kicked up to the stake, heck, high council would be nice and get me out of the ward to go visiting other wards. There really isn't much to do. When we get the last of the kids out of the house, my wife and I want to be a missionary couple and just go somewhere and do something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been covered, but beyond being a religion, it's a lifestyle. They will load you up with church callings, and dominate your spare time like nobody's business.

I'm sure that's why they keep me busy. HP group leader assistant, was a councilor in Branch pres, Stake Sunday School pres, and other involving callings. Always glad to serve. I also volunteer to do any plumbing or heating for low income members free.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why do you comment when you clearly don't know or care what Christian doctrine is? Strange how all the atheist come to the defense of Mormon doctrine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Because they are objective?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I dont think yall have ever had the privilege of encountering the quality of filth that so readily flows from a southerners mouth when it comes to college ball. Yall have BYU as rivals. They probably bake you ricecrispy treats for the games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, actually I went to a sports bar and talked mad shit to all the Utes fans as well. Utah'ns are pushovers in the sports smack talking category. Go Gators!

Whatever. You know deep down that Brian Johnson would've stomped a new mudhole in you guys back in 2008 if given the chance.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Utah_Utes_logo.svg/1054px-Utah_Utes_logo.svg.png

Yes!!!

I dont think yall have ever had the privilege of encountering the quality of filth that so readily flows from a southerners mouth when it comes to college ball. Yall have BYU as rivals. They probably bake you ricecrispy treats for the games.

It depends on what part of the country you are in. Around here its a jello salad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Arrogance is irritating no matter the manifestation.

Your star is no better nor more special than theirs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Again, you're equating a football sidebar discussion to the main topic. It is not. No one was talking nice or good being a determiner of jesusness. Likewise if I talk about Tim Tebow, I'm not talking about the southern Jehovah in a serious sense. You dont need to reply with a verse from a book you dont understand, I promise you I dont think Timmy is in fact the second coming of our lord and savior jesus christ. I'm not bearing false witness to the southern god of football. I do however think Jameis Winston could use a verse or two from the Book of Jonah.

Mormons live a christlike life, period. They exemplify it in their words and deeds. Hell, in this very thread there is a stark difference between them and the trolls-for-satan, aka Baptists/Lutherans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody is "good people" just because the are nice - Romans 3:10, just keeping it real, no not even me as some seem think that is what I am saying

That said, even though you are a vile sinner , just like me, you come to SWFL and I'll share my MGs and ammo with ANY of you anytime.

Enlighten me about all your vast understanding of God's word. Since I don't read it, does God's word not say (I will make this easy for you, since he simplified for those too busy to actually read it) "Love The Lord your God with all your mind, body and soul and love others as you do yourself"? Why would you change his word to lead others down the wrong (wide) path?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Snip...
As for your assumption... Assumptions and conjecture are interesting... But not much more than the link I posted is known and taught as formal doctrine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does belief in exaltation make Latter-day Saints polytheists?
For some observers, the doctrine that humans should strive for godliness may evoke images of ancient pantheons with competing deities. Such images are incompatible with Latter-day Saint doctrine. Latter-day Saints believe that God’s children will always worship Him. Our progression will never change His identity as our Father and our God. Indeed, our exalted, eternal relationship with Him will be part of the “fulness of joy” He desires for us.

I assume the god of this world had a Father (god)

Snip...
As for your assumption... Assumptions and conjecture are interesting... But not much more than the link I posted is known and taught as formal doctrine.

Thanks.  That is all you needed to post, not all of the early church stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm sure that's why they keep me busy. HP group leader assistant, was a councilor in Branch pres, Stake Sunday School pres, and other involving callings. Always glad to serve. I also volunteer to do any plumbing or heating for low income members free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew I liked you for a reason. Now I know! I feel sorry for the HP group leader, I'm the million questions dude. (Also the youngest in HP - 46y/o) The bish now sits behind me in Sunday school. (For obvious reasons)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I NEVER said I was better than anyone. I was giving a defense of my faith in His words since it's trying to be changed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
So this whole religion was started by a kid that was a known liar? Until this thread I always thought Mormons were just another Christian church I didn't know they believed in aliens on other planets. And if black people were always the devil how could that all of a sudden change? Either the stuff I have been reading today is wrong or the Mormons are giving the Scientology wackjobs a run for their money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mormons must make great lawyers
View Quote

Yeah, and posting links from atheists in your line of attack… Isn't mental gymnastics…? On *your* side of the line…?

Good grief.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So this whole religion was started by a kid that was a known liar? Until this thread I always thought Mormons were just another Christian church I didn't know they believed in aliens on other planets. And if black people were always the devil how could that all of a sudden change? Either the stuff I have been reading today is wrong or the Mormons are giving the Scientology wackjobs a run for their money.
View Quote

You are wrong as far as I know. They just don't follow the Bible as the absolute and sovereign truth in their doctrine. There are just a lot here he think that this is an attack on nice people instead of really understanding the discussion.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got called to be the Scoutmaster. It's a LOT of work.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WELL??? Is Jesus A god or THE God?
View Quote

The Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ beliefs in God, The Father. His Son, Jesus Christ. And the Holy Spirit.

Have been outlined several times in this thread.

To deny that is to be *purposefully* disingenuous.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Unless you're in germany circa 1936
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, and posting links from atheists in your line of attack… Isn't mental gymnastics…? On *your* side of the line…?

Good grief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief.

Never did that and by the way, they are on your side.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did it some years ago, I had fun. I got to act like a kid too. Best part! LOVED S.A.L.T.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Bible is clear about Jesus' claim to be God, not just a god. Mormons do not believe that Jesus is in fact God, and thus in turn deny the diety of Jesus.  It is plain and simple, but they will always argue that their view of Jesus is the same as any Catholic or protestant group. It's not worth arguing with them when what the Bible says is quite clear. You can use Google, look up all of the verses where Jesus claims to be God, then see what Mormons have to say about them, etc. Educate yourself.
View Quote

Oh my.

"They will always argue that their view of Jesus is the same as any Catholic or Protestant group."

Unbelievable. Flat-out unbelievable.

The beliefs of the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ are in-line with the pre-credal "Christian" Church.

They are not in-line with the post-credal "Church." Almost every modern "Christian" church can draw a direct-line to the Catholic Church…

Wow.

You fellas really come out of left-field sometimes…
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ beliefs in God, The Father. His Son, Jesus Christ. And the Holy Spirit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And still you don't give a direct answer? Why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No LDS supporter has quoted any atheists today...

Quoted:
I'm an atheist who lives in Utah.

She isn't attacking anyones beliefs in this thread…

The anti-Mormon Christians have *twice* in this thread tried using atheism and the beliefs of atheists to defend their foundational beliefs in Christ, and their attacks on the Latter-Day Church of Christ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a bobcat and wolf scout master in my ward. My wife teaches 3 year olds in Sunday school. I wouldn't trade my service to the Lord for anything. My total time consumed in a week is 1 hour.  A lot of times I feel like its too little. Our religion isn't just attending church. We dedicate our lives in the service of God and our fellow men. One thing I've never understood is the obsession with our underwear. I wish people would stop and think about if they would find it appropriate if people continually made their underwear a public subject. Talking about my underwear every time someone finds out I'm Mormon is embarrassing and obnoxious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#31]
It's really a simple question. Is Jesus a god or THE God. Why is this so hard to answer this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Lord has said that he will use Prophets…

And there will also be false prophets….

Try to tell the difference? Look at their fruits.

Joseph Smith produced scripture, and he produced a Church.

Koresh? Lots of dead, lots of problems were his fruits.

Many so-called "Christian" leaders have profit as a motive… By their fruits ye shall know them.

The followers of Joseph Smith today… Everyone wants a "Mormon" as a neighbor. Everyone wants the benefits of the Church God restored through Joseph Smith…

Yeah… No question, no doubt… To deny that the Lord works through Prophets is to deny scriptural truth.

The test: Look at their fruits. Joseph Smith produced scripture, and he produced a Church. He produced fruits everyone can see, everyone can judge.

I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God… And it is no accident that most people desire us as friends and neighbors…

As for your relatives who have problems… That is an interesting judgement on your part… How is any of that the fault of the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ… And do you think that there were none of those types of issues in the pre-credal Christian Church?-?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's really a simple question. Is Jesus a god or THE God. Why is this so hard to answer this?
View Quote

Is it possible that there is something in Gods word that tells us this is how to test the spirit?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I guess it depends which yardstick you are using.

Pre-credal Christians believed many things that the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ believe.

Post-credal "Christianity" (after 450 AD) does *not* match-up with Latter-Day Teachings…

The yardstick that *should* be used is the pre-credal "Christian" Church…
Several biblical passages intimate that humans can become like God. The likeness of humans to God is emphasized in the first chapter of Genesis: “God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. … So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”3 After Adam and Eve partook of the fruit of “the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,” God said they had “become as one of us,”4 suggesting that a process of approaching godliness was already underway. Later in the Old Testament, a passage in the book of Psalms declares, “I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.”5

New Testament passages also point to this doctrine. When Jesus was accused of blasphemy on the grounds that “thou, being a man, makest thyself God,” He responded, echoing Psalms, “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?”6 In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus commanded His disciples to become “perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.”7 In turn, the Apostle Peter referred to the Savior’s “exceeding great and precious promises” that we might become “partakers of the divine nature.”8 The Apostle Paul taught that we are “the offspring of God” and emphasized that as such “we are the children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ.”9 The book of Revelation contains a promise from Jesus Christ that “to him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.”1

-https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You see, if he did give a direct answer he would be drawing a clear distinction between LDS and mainline Christian doctrine.  He would then be forced to admit that both positions cannot be true and thereby acknowledge that one of us are the "real" Christians.

Only one is, or they are both false.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is a very simple answer. Jesus is a member of the God head. God the father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. There are many times in the bible where Jesus even speaks in place of his father. You asked this question several times and have been ignored because you are contentious. We have no problem telling you what we believe but most of us have no interest in debating our religion and fighting over theology. I recommend LDS.org for a wealth of knowledge regarding our beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
So the answer is "Mormons do not believe that Jesus is God". Just come out and say it like you believe. I don't understand all the double talk and hiding it. Just have a clear conscience in what you proclaim. That is all I was trying to get to.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well... In any question I would take a sincere look at the pre-credal Church of Jesus Christ...

Trinitarian discussion, Roman Catholic as well as others, presents a somewhat unsteady silhouette. Two things have happened. There is the recognition on the part of exegetes and Biblical theologians, including a constantly growing number of Roman Catholics, that one should not speak of Trinitarianism in the New Testament without serious qualification. There is also the closely parallel recognition on the part of historians of dogma and systematic theologians that when one does speak of an unqualified Trinitarianism, one has moved from the period of Christian origins to, say, the last quadrant of the 4th century.

- RL Richard, "Trinity, Holy", in New Catholic Encyclopedia, 15 vols. (New York:McGraw-Hill, 1967), 14:295.

Pre-credal Christianity is where I would put my weight...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Precisely.  

OTOH, we are either BOTH theologically wrong about Jesus or ONE of us is correct.  Law of non-contradiction applies.

Well... In any question I would take a sincere look at the pre-credal Church of Jesus Christ...

Trinitarian discussion, Roman Catholic as well as others, presents a somewhat unsteady silhouette. Two things have happened. There is the recognition on the part of exegetes and Biblical theologians, including a constantly growing number of Roman Catholics, that one should not speak of Trinitarianism in the New Testament without serious qualification. There is also the closely parallel recognition on the part of historians of dogma and systematic theologians that when one does speak of an unqualified Trinitarianism, one has moved from the period of Christian origins to, say, the last quadrant of the 4th century.

- RL Richard, "Trinity, Holy", in New Catholic Encyclopedia, 15 vols. (New York:McGraw-Hill, 1967), 14:295.

Pre-credal Christianity is where I would put my weight...

So, what was the consensus among "pre-credal" christians on the topic of Jesus' relationship to God?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Mormons believe in Deeds.

Christians believe in Grace.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Strange how all the atheist come to the defense of Mormon doctrine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Strange how all the atheist come to the defense of Mormon doctrine?

Oh my… Talk about the Kettle calling the Pot black…

Fawn Brodie was an atheist…

Quoted:
Is the LDS religion true?

"No Man Knows My History" by Fawn Brodie is a fascinating biography about Smith.

Why would a "Christian" encourage folks to read the teachings and beliefs of a self-described atheist.?-?-?

What is it about atheism, and anti-God beliefs that are so central to so-called "Christian" beliefs?-?-?

Richard Packham is a devout atheist...

Quoted:
http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

Why would a "Christian" encourage folks to read the teachings and beliefs of a self-described atheist?-?-?

What is it about atheism, and anti-God beliefs that are so central to so-called "Christian" beliefs?-?-?

A friend to the LDS Church entering the thread to defend the LDS Church… Regardless of beliefs, that is cool.

"Christians" claiming LDS folks are not "Christian" then showing their foundational beliefs towards the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ are founded in atheism and atheists… Not cool.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Here is a very simple answer. Jesus is a member of the God head. God the father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. There are many times in the bible where Jesus even speaks in place of his father. You asked this question several times and have been ignored because you are contentious. We have no problem telling you what we believe but most of us have no interest in debating our religion and fighting over theology. I recommend LDS.org for a wealth of knowledge regarding our beliefs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not simple at all. Lawyer double talk? Want clear easy to understand explanation "Jesus is the son of God and also God in the flesh. he came to die for our sins because we are all born into sin. he love all of us more than we could ever imagine in our simple little minds. Not only is the Bible real but if you think the stories ( Johan and he Whale, Moses, Noah and everything else you can't believe is real, God spoke ( yes SPOKE)  this existence into being. I do not need any organized or established junk on this earth to teach me that. I am seeking God with ALL of my heart and I want to know him more each and every day. Furthermore I want to help everyone who is seeking to see that they do not need anything more than Your word to know that!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks.  That is all you needed to post, not all of the early church stuff.
View Quote

No one can deny how interesting it is… Simply from a historical perspective…

How in-line the Latter-Day Church is with the Pre-Credal Church… It is interesting.

It is interesting how different folks like to use different yardsticks in their lines of reference against the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ.

*After* the Nicene Creed… And once the Catholic Church was in full-swing… Very little similarities.

Pre-Creed… Many of the beliefs that modern "Christians" like to mock… Were practiced by the *early* Church of Jesus Christ…

It is simply interesting… From a historical perspective.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
By the way OP you don't need ANY established church to find what you are seeking. All you need is to get a Bible. It sounds like your heart is ready for real answers and when you read God's word ready to get real answers, He is waiting. May God Bless You.
View Quote

This.  Imho, if a person wants to know what a Christian is and how they are supposed to live, just read the parts in red that are actually what Jesus said. If a person wants to read more and understand what it means always say a prayer asking for understanding before reading.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Known liar…?

Joseph Smith was known for his integrity.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.  Imho, if a person wants to know what a Christian is and how they are supposed to live, just read the parts in red that are actually what Jesus said. If a person wants to read more and understand what it means always say a prayer asking for understanding before reading.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By the way OP you don't need ANY established church to find what you are seeking. All you need is to get a Bible. It sounds like your heart is ready for real answers and when you read God's word ready to get real answers, He is waiting. May God Bless You.

And please enlighten us all. What did Jesus, God in the flesh say?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Hold on a second.....you mean to tell me we disagree on what it means to be Christian???

Fourteen pages and we are finally getting somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's so funny when people who have literally NO idea about faith, doctrine, a walk with God or scripture jump in to tell us what THEY know. Thanks for your condemnation. Be sure to try and

read some more of the Quran
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you crazy? Those of us attacking this doctrine want you to admit that JESUS is GOD. God's own word says that is how you test an evil sprit. Are you that dense are or have not really read God's word.

These threads are so much awesome reading for me. Since I don't believe in any of these books, but having read them (unlike the above poster), I can fairly objectively figure out who is christlike and who isnt. I read the bible, book of mormon, quran, and taroh the same way I read any of my engineering books. I'm not all wrapped up in salvation and a warped interpretation of the book brought on by hallucinations after being bitten by a rattlesnake.

If by the most minutest possibility any of these books, written by primitive screwheads, turns out being real; the mormons will be in heaven.

Gunwrtr, OP, NFAtoyz, etc all, will all be burning in hell. They have clearly missed the point of living a christlike life and I seriously doubt any of them has even opened the new testament. Modern day sadducees.  As a non-believer I think these people exemplify everything wrong with christianity and actively besmirch it's name. Take a lesson from the mormons on how to act. Take a lesson from the mormons on how to treat others. Take a lesson from the mormons on how to not come off as rabid foaming at the mouth snakehandlers. Hell, learn something, anything from the mormons; it just might keep you from going to hell.

This thread also makes me extremely thankful I work with a bunch of agnostic or atheist engineers...

It's so funny when people who have literally NO idea about faith, doctrine, a walk with God or scripture jump in to tell us what THEY know. Thanks for your condemnation. Be sure to try and

read some more of the Quran

HOW YOU ACT MATTERS. People are looking. We all make an impression on others. Non-believer, believer, doesn't matter, they all have eyes, and a brain. They can judge behavior for themselves.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hold on a second.....you mean to tell me we disagree on what it means to be Christian???

Fourteen pages and we are finally getting somewhere.
View Quote

Shhhh! You'll interrupt the purse-swinging.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good grief.

Nope.

Why be disingenuous?

You don't think we could go-back a few pages?

Seriously?

Quoted:
Is the LDS religion true?

"No Man Knows My History" by Fawn Brodie is a fascinating biography about Smith.

Fawn Brodie is a favorite atheist for so-called "Christians" to use as a foundation for their beliefs.

Quoted:
http://www.exmormon.org/tract2.htm

Richard Packhard is another atheist that so-called "Christians" use as a foundation for their beliefs.

If I may be so bold… Why not use Christ as a foundation? Why is atheism used so frequently as a basis for attacks on the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ…

The scriptures have warnings about false Prophets… It is interesting that in lines of attack against the Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ, you will almost always find so-called "Christians" relying on the foundation of atheism and anti-God beliefs...
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top