Quoted:

You really think another task wouldn't replace cleaning your rifle?  LOL

http://thefilmspectrum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Picture-202.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with the M16/M4 platform. Just wish they would update it more to have ambidextrous controls and easier cleaning via a gas piston.

Yeah I know DI is what the great god Stoner intended and it's blasphemy to put a piston on, but it is easier to clean a piston AR15. I honestly think they don't want to invest in that leap because it would free up grunt time from cleaning their weapons and grunts would cause havoc with the free time by destroying random stuff through acts of stupidity and boredom.

You really think another task wouldn't replace cleaning your rifle?  LOL

http://thefilmspectrum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Picture-202.png

We can all dream right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Length?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who cares? There are some things that matter more than performance.

Length?

Twat placement .

It's all about twat placement .

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How much did HK pay for this article?
View Quote

cause I believe it to be an accurate statement
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
how is the aftermarket on this new whiz bang?

can i or .gov order parts for it from over 100 manufactures?

does it work with all existing support ie; transport cases, mags, sights, ect?

is it half the price? or twice as good? (that might help with eating cost of disposing
of current platform)
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mini 14 FTw!!!!!!
View Quote
Dammit! I was going to go there!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Having worked in the T&E business, I can say with some degree of certainty that the govt can canx a test event for any number of reasons.  

Not the least of which would be allegations that the test design introduced bias that affects test validity.  Such an allegation in a high profile high cost test event would probably get serious scrutiny and if it was valid a re-test might be in order.  

The article makes it look like the Army didn't like the initial results so they pulled the plug.  LOL!  Testing is SCIENCE.  You test it and measure it and quantify it.  Then you write up what you KNOW about the thing and let the big wigs make their decisions based on that, or politics or anything else they like.  

The testing is impartial.  Testers are obsessive about keeping it that way.  It's what they do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]

AWESOME reliability.  Unless you drop it in the mud.
Shitty firepower.
Heavy weight.
Mediocre accuracy.
Insufficient lethality.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]
It long known open "secret" that the M4 /m16 et.al. has serious issues. I not surprised it lost.

And I don't realty care why etc... You guys can have all the drama and endless debate about that if you like.

Just get on with replacing it with something better and stop messing with soldier lives.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It long known open "secret" that the M4 /m16 et.al. has serious issues. I not surprised it lost.

And I don't realty care why etc... You guys can have all the drama and endless debate about that if you like.

Just get on with replacing it with something better and stop messing with soldier lives.

View Quote

What's your HK employee ID number?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're so full of shit...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Serious issues? I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that it is the complete equal of all modern proposed replacements, but I'm not sure that not being quite as good equals serious issues. I'm also a bit surprised that the M4 in their tests had stoppages at 500rds. Of course I suppose that depends on environment.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We all knew this day would come. The M16 will be replaced with the Bushmaster M17

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Bushmaster_M17S_right.jpg/300px-Bushmaster_M17S_right.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which gun is "Gun C"?

Has it been leaked yet?

We all knew this day would come. The M16 will be replaced with the Bushmaster M17

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Bushmaster_M17S_right.jpg/300px-Bushmaster_M17S_right.jpg

Makes sense.

The model is better by one-an obvious evolution.

Nick
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

John Moses Browning didn't design the M4 to be outperformed by any of them heathen rifles
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outperform? Yeah sure.

John Moses Browning didn't design the M4 to be outperformed by any of them heathen rifles

Fucken name dropper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No shit. "It's unfair, the Army switched to the ammo that the Army is switching to... Our rifles only work with the outdated ammo." is a shitty excuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, the M4 had less breakages than any other, and got second in stoppages, and it's still considered "unreliable"?

If one rifle had more stoppages than another rifle, but less breakages, I'd rather have the one that I can fix on the spot. I'd not like the one that keeps going normally, but if it stops it's deadlined, if you please.

And the "They were using M855A1 and we only prepared our rifles for M855." thing. Yeah. Tough shit, you're terrible at your job if you didn't think of that.

No shit. "It's unfair, the Army switched to the ammo that the Army is switching to... Our rifles only work with the outdated ammo." is a shitty excuse.

Not really. If working with M855A1 wasn't delimited in the contract, why would you design to it?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Would the m4 reliability drop be grom the m855a1 ammo and not the system itself?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh The Army basically did the same/similar thing when what would replace the M14 was being evaluated. Heck, they did the same/similar thing when the Winchester model 73 was new technology.

Adopting a new weapon has aspects for consideration far beyond what does it do better than what we already got. I understand why the military is cautious about embracing "better" weapons, they just are not very good at explaining or rationalizing their hesitance.
View Quote

And just like when the M14 was replaced, the old guard is huffing and puffing about how nothing could possibly be better and the logistical cost of replacement cannot be borne.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Until something "significantly" better comes along, the M4 will not be replaced.  It makes no sense to revamp the entire logistic system for a minor improvement.  The M4 will be replaced when the Plasma Rifle in the 40W range comes on line.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Anyone know what they are talking about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Times spoke with soldiers who had used the M4 in intense combat. They said the magazine is tinny and subject to jamming. The gun itself requires constant cleaning. One Green Beret said he and his colleagues, once in theater, rebuild the gun with better parts.

My son was an armorer for 10 years in USMC and they were constantly rebuilding guns with match grade parts. He ordered them from the same companies that you or I would. Wilson was one name that I recall. Magpull was another. I used to have the list of parts (and their manufacturers) that they used for their SOCOM (IIRC!) pistols, they were standard 1911A1 frames built in the 1930s and 1940s but everything else was new manufacture. Unfortunately, WinBlows ate the file when it crashed! USMC being a smaller service probably has more leeway to do things like that than the USA. Or at least main stream USA, it's an entirely different story with special units.

Son built customized M-16s, M-4 and 1911s. I don't know if they customized other weapons or not. Correction, he once said something about modifying M-14s. AT least to the extend of putting new modern stocks on them.

But all of that aside, I've been involved in USA and Canadian DND weapons selection process and there's a LOT more involved than just ONE performance test!  They have to consider things like the deliver rate of new arms and ammo and all the other accoutrements, how long it will take to reequip and retrain the entire army, how long to resupply ammunition, set up supply and repair centers and on and on and on! And a BIG consideration is how is that change over going to affect the availability of armed forces in case of a war.  THEN after they make all of those studies and tests have been made,  they have to weigh the costs and if the "improvement" in accuracy, reliability, portability, fire power, etc is really worth the costs involved!  Case in point, In the 1930s, the US studied a .276" cartridge and the ordanance people wanted to adopt it due to slightly better ballistics and the fact that it required less metal (the Garand was originally designed for that cartridge) but Chief of Staff General McArthur vetoed the idea because of the huge quantity of .30-06 ammo already in stock and because it would also mean that the BAR and .30 cal machine guns would also need to be replaced (which redesign and/or replacements studies hadn't even begun at that point)  in order to maintain ammunition commonality.  In retrospec it proved to be a wise decision or else we'd have been caught going into WW II in the middle of the change over!

Short version, you have to look at the overall picture and not just the results from one test!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not really. If working with M855A1 wasn't delimited in the contract, why would you design to it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, the M4 had less breakages than any other, and got second in stoppages, and it's still considered "unreliable"?

If one rifle had more stoppages than another rifle, but less breakages, I'd rather have the one that I can fix on the spot. I'd not like the one that keeps going normally, but if it stops it's deadlined, if you please.

And the "They were using M855A1 and we only prepared our rifles for M855." thing. Yeah. Tough shit, you're terrible at your job if you didn't think of that.

Was the M4A1 modified to work with M855A1?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Needs more XM-8.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If, by a "few years" you mean at least ten years, cool. But dropping this cash on programs that won't end up going anywhere is a waste. Of time and money.

Until the military gets serious about replacing the M16/ M4 series of guns (which I'm not convinced they need to do FWIW) they shouldn't waste their time.

All MHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army is severely allergic to change.

If it's not a slam dunk benefit to spend a billion dollars replacing the M16/M4 family of weapons, then why spend it?

Have the tests every few years in case the 40 watt plasma rifle comes out, but don't bother switching until then.

They did it right going to the MAG58 over the M60, eventually the M16 will be replaced.  If it's not equivalent to the MAG58/M60 swap, then don't bother.

JMHO
YMMV

If, by a "few years" you mean at least ten years, cool. But dropping this cash on programs that won't end up going anywhere is a waste. Of time and money.

Until the military gets serious about replacing the M16/ M4 series of guns (which I'm not convinced they need to do FWIW) they shouldn't waste their time.

All MHO.

I wasn't trying to quantify any form of time period.  I am not a purchasing agent for the US Government, nor should any of my statements be construed to be from someone in a position to cause the US Government to be contractually obligated in any way, shape, or form.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Go Steyr!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Uh oh I see they didn't release info to public.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#28]
For how much M4s supposedly suck, a lot of the Free World's HSLD units with a choice still seem to prefer them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Whatdifferencedoesitmake.jpg

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

10,000 rounds should be more than enough to correctly gas a rifle that needs nothing but a tweak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to defend the article's premise, but IIRC the Army hasn't published M855A1's chamber pressure spec, nor its pressure curve. Doctor Roberts has mentioned that this is one of M855A1's hidden weaknesses--that the Army won't release its actual operating pressures, and some indicators are that it runs at nearly 5.56mm proof-load pressure in order to get the "enhanced perdormance" compared to regular M855.

Likewise, they announced the need to test with A1 only a month prior to the commencement of actual testing, and only provided 10k rounds to mfgs at that point. IIRC the spec originally called for M855 ammo compatibility, not M855A1.

So they had to go back and rework systems that were presumably optimized around the existing standard of M855 ammo and its well-known performance. And with only a couple thousand rounds per test weapon (IIRC the testing called for numerous samples per competitor) to get each of them sorted out, which in the grand scheme of weapons design isn't all that much.

Point is, while there probably isn't an individual carbine out there that's enough better than the M4 to merit a whole-force changeover, the Army played it kinda shifty with the way they solicited this one.

10,000 rounds should be more than enough to correctly gas a rifle that needs nothing but a tweak.

True if you only need to tweak the gas port, but it wasn't "here's 10k rds of ammo... go forth and do what you will...".   It's "come to our testing facility, here's 10k rds of ammo, here's a list of what you can and can't do, and btw if the throat gets shot out of your barrel after only 8k rds, you will only have 2k rds left to test any improvements think you can make."

It's no excuse, but 10k isn't shit in a real development program.

A lot of weird shit going on with that ammo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't believe the depth of derp in this thread. We all know exactly what gun C was:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/63/bc/7263bcccb06974343b6cd6ca3b767a12.jpg
View Quote

Ooooh!  Nice!!!

What is that/who makes it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My son was an armorer for 10 years in USMC and they were constantly rebuilding guns with match grade parts. He ordered them from the same companies that you or I would. Wilson was one name that I recall. Magpull was another. I used to have the list of parts (and their manufacturers) that they used for their SOCOM (IIRC!) pistols, they were standard 1911A1 frames built in the 1930s and 1940s but everything else was new manufacture. Unfortunately, WinBlows ate the file when it crashed! USMC being a smaller service probably has more leeway to do things like that than the USA. Or at least main stream USA, it's an entirely different story with special units.

Son built customized M-16s, M-4 and 1911s. I don't know if they customized other weapons or not. Correction, he once said something about modifying M-14s. AT least to the extend of putting new modern stocks on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Times spoke with soldiers who had used the M4 in intense combat. They said the magazine is tinny and subject to jamming. The gun itself requires constant cleaning. One Green Beret said he and his colleagues, once in theater, rebuild the gun with better parts.

Most SOF and SOC units are able to utilize COTS stuff (P-mags, parts, and accessories).  USMC armorers take care of standard Marines as well as MARSOC and some of the other, higher speed units.  

I wonder if the rifle that was ahead of the M4 was the SCAR-Light.  I believe NSW is playing with the SCAR quite a bit.

Speaking of M14s - my dad called me a few days ago wanting to know what hoops he has to jump through to get a tax stamp and get his hands on a M14E2 like he carried in Vietnam.  He hated the "new" M16 back then and his unit stayed with the M14.  He understands that the kinks have been worked out and the "Mattel" is a good rifle today.  He's in the process of acquiring a few ARs.  When I told him the price tag for a CIII M14E2, he shit a brick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I see the M4A1's competitors are paying for favorable news coverage again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#34]
It's about the payola.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

IIRC, they basically wanted twice the reliability of the M4.  At least one of those weapons tested showed an increased reliability, but not up to the desired threshold.  

This is a non-story.  The same media publications that love to publish exposés on the lavish spending of the evil military industrial complex publish this garbage, when it is clear the cost-benefit analysis doesn't justify the magnitude of expenses required by logistical changes, re-training, and fielding for a rifle that may be a fractional improvement over M16 derivative weapons.  

Twice the reliability of the M4 may seem like a bar placed way too high, but there is a reason for that.  A replacement to the M4 will need to be a major upgrade in order to justify the full cost of equipping the entire mil (minus some SOCOM elements) with a new rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"the Army explained the cancellation by saying none of the eight showed a huge improvement over the M4."

I'm guessing it needs to be a hell of an improvement so that it's worth the cost and trouble to switch.

IIRC, they basically wanted twice the reliability of the M4.  At least one of those weapons tested showed an increased reliability, but not up to the desired threshold.  

This is a non-story.  The same media publications that love to publish exposés on the lavish spending of the evil military industrial complex publish this garbage, when it is clear the cost-benefit analysis doesn't justify the magnitude of expenses required by logistical changes, re-training, and fielding for a rifle that may be a fractional improvement over M16 derivative weapons.  

Twice the reliability of the M4 may seem like a bar placed way too high, but there is a reason for that.  A replacement to the M4 will need to be a major upgrade in order to justify the full cost of equipping the entire mil (minus some SOCOM elements) with a new rifle.

Aligns with my recollection, and thoughts on the matter.

1.25x is good, but not enough to warrant a transition.  Something on the order of 2x is what you need to warrant a transition.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Probably the Croatian VHS-2 rifle. A bullpup with an adjustable stock!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ooooh!  Nice!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't believe the depth of derp in this thread. We all know exactly what gun C was:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/72/63/bc/7263bcccb06974343b6cd6ca3b767a12.jpg

Ooooh!  Nice!!!

Its a Shrike

borderline vaporware

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I see the M4A1's competitors are paying for favorable news coverage again.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who cares? There are some things that matter more than performance.
View Quote

That's not what she said.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its a Shrike
borderline vaporware

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooooh!  Nice!!!

Its a Shrike
borderline vaporware

I thought that was the ALS from Battlefield 4
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#43]
It's been well known for awhile that there are many guns that will beat the M4 handily.  Just a lot of $$$ and politics to replace them.  

We remain denial here.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Bullshit, on the Bushmaster M4, properly torqued, with good ammo, (m193)
went 10,000 rounds without a breakage, cleaned every 2500 rounds.

And still had barrel life left.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Which gun is "Gun C"?

Has it been leaked yet?
View Quote

AK
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/19/armys-quits-tests-after-competing-rifle-outperform/

A competing rifle outperformed the Army’s favored M4A1 carbine in key firings during a competition last year before the service abruptly called off the tests and stuck with its gun, according to a new confidential report.
The report also says the Army changed the ammunition midstream to a round "tailored” for the M4A1 rifle. It quoted competing companies as saying the switch was unfair because they did not have enough time to fire the new ammo and redesign their rifles before the tests began.

Exactly how the eight challengers — and the M4 — performed in a shootout to replace the M4, a soldier’s most important personal defense, has been shrouded in secrecy.

But an "official use only report” by the Center for Naval Analyses shows that one of the eight unidentified weapons outperformed the M4 on reliability and on the number of rounds fired before the most common type of failures, or stoppages, occurred, according to data obtained by The Washington Times.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/19/armys-quits-tests-after-competing-rifle-outperform/#ixzz3B0XL5kKP
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

View Quote

There are a bunch more things to consider than just Reliability and Mean Time Between Operational Mission Failures.  Those are just a couple of the suitability issues, and alone don't determine what is best.  

In addition, CNA despite the fancy name are contractors.  If they weren't actually conducting the test, they should STFU.  However, that said, I'm not a fan of the way the Army is organized for T&E.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wasn't trying to quantify any form of time period.  I am not a purchasing agent for the US Government, nor should any of my statements be construed to be from someone in a position to cause the US Government to be contractually obligated in any way, shape, or form.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Army is severely allergic to change.

If it's not a slam dunk benefit to spend a billion dollars replacing the M16/M4 family of weapons, then why spend it?

Have the tests every few years in case the 40 watt plasma rifle comes out, but don't bother switching until then.

They did it right going to the MAG58 over the M60, eventually the M16 will be replaced.  If it's not equivalent to the MAG58/M60 swap, then don't bother.

JMHO
YMMV

All MHO.

These are opinions,  I wasn't going to hold you to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's such a secret that nobody can find real world examples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's such a secret that nobody can find real world examples.

What about that time when worn out equipment failed after 3 hours of mag dumps? Damn M4s
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top