Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ah the good (deadly) ole days!
bad mofo right there
i briefly owned a CR of the same displacement and vintage quite a few years back.
that machine will teach you respect
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You must purchase a Hayabusa.
1999 model was the fast one.
Do not listen to any bullshit, your skillset will grow to accomodate the machine.

This kills the newbie and is bad advice.  You want to start with something smaller and more manageable like a 500

http://www.dirtrider.com/wp/wp-content/blogs.dir/15/files/1996-kawasaki-kx500-rebuild/teardown1b.jpg

ah the good (deadly) ole days!
bad mofo right there
i briefly owned a CR of the same displacement and vintage quite a few years back.
that machine will teach you respect

cr500 too.   brapp brapp (aka youre gonna die mfr!).  
respect, you aint kidding.  It would climb any hill I pointed it at provided i held on for dear life.
hard as hell on rear tires, sold it with the oem front becasue it rarely touched the ground
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Learn to ride FIRST

Harley parts are expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just want something like a Harley low rider or a forty eight.

Learn to ride FIRST

Harley parts are expensive.

AIR is expensive when you own a Harley...... They charge $60 to fill your tires at a Harley $tealership!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have no idea what that is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your first bike should definitely be a Hayabusa.

He's messing with you.  It's some high horsepower rocket of a bike.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just got my license a month ago and my first cycle after 37 years.  I'm glad I got into it at a later age, I would have killed myself if I rode at 21.  It's the single most fun thing I've done in years.  I don't like highway riding, which is good as it's where most deaths happen.  Be smart, aware, and wear your gear all the time, and you'll be good.  I took the MSF course first too, highly recommend it. My cycle:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/jherm77/20140703_124225_zpsc319bfc0.jpg
View Quote

That FZ-07 is a cool bike-I think they did a better job on it than the -09......

But you are bullshitting yourself if you think that most motorcycle accidents happen on the freeway. Statistically, if you are going to be in an accident on a bike, it will be at an intersection with the oncoming driver turning left in front of you. The highest percentage of accidents these days goes to older re-entry riders who are getting another bike now that the kids are grown-typically harleys-and alchohol is a factor in many of the crashes.

I personally like freeway riding a lot more than street riding-not that street riding bothers me, but I can let my guard down a teeny bit on the freeway and enjoy myself more. It's just less to think about when everyone is going the same direction and hardly ever moves.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Honda Grom
View Quote

My GF bought one a week ago, between the two of us we've put about 130 miles on it and it's down to half a tank, which is about 3/4 gallon of gas. It's a lot of fun, and surprisingly good around town. You don't have to beat on it to stay with or slightly ahead of traffic-it'll run 55mph all day long with you sat up and will get to 62mph eventually if you wind it out. Two-up with two 175lb adults gets you a 50-55mph top end and it still stays with traffic but you spend more time with the throttle pinned. the brakes are really good with a lot of power and feel and the suspension gives a good ride even though it's a little soft. All in all, the Grom is a hell of a lot of bike for the money.... I have three of the 5 bikes in my garage and one of them is a traction control equipped GSXR1000-none of them have been ridden since she got the Grom and I have been on vacation for most of that time. The trips are shorter (,buzz around the lake, around town, a few towns over etc.) but they seem just as satisfying as riding a 'real' bike.

I'd probably have ridden it tonight if I wasn't worried about her thinking that I had glommed onto her Grom.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
As soon as you get a bike, everyone you know will tell you about some friend or relative or friend of a relative six times removed who died on a motorcycle.  Your first response should be "Was it a Harley?"  If they answer in the affirmative, ask how drunk they were.  This pisses them off and provides great entertainment.

You'll also learn from many people who own bikes that apparently every turn on the planet has gravel.

If someone tells you they "had to lay 'er down," punch them in the throat and spit on them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If someone tells you they "had to lay 'er down," punch them in the throat and spit on them.
View Quote

I'm sort of with you on that one...

Closest I even came to laying a bike down.. Some lady pulled out RIGHT in front of me.  To this day I don't know how I avoided it.  I chopped the throttle, grabbed a HUGE handful of front brake, and stood on the rear.  The back of the bike started lifting up, the rear broke traction and I slid sideways like one of the dirt track guys.  Kissed her quarter panel with the back of the bike (broke off the right turn signal) and it kicked the bike back upright.  I still have no idea how exactly it happened and don't know if I could do it again.

Once again though, I SAW her getting ready to go and thought "no way will she pull out".   The next time it happened I wasn't so lucky and ended up in a pretty bad way with a hole in my head.  I still didn't think the lady was going to pull out.  

Now, I assume they WILL.  If they don't, great, but if they do - I'm not in the lane anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Closest I even came to laying a bike down.. Some lady pulled out RIGHT in front of me.  To this day I don't know how I avoided it.  I chopped the throttle, grabbed a HUGE handful of front brake, and stood on the rear.  The back of the bike started lifting up, the rear broke traction and I slid sideways like one of the dirt track guys.  Kissed her quarter panel with the back of the bike (broke off the right turn signal) and it kicked the bike back upright.  I still have no idea how exactly it happened and don't know if I could do it again.

Once again though, I SAW her getting ready to go and thought "no way will she pull out".   The next time it happened I wasn't so lucky and ended up in a pretty bad way with a hole in my head.  I still didn't think the lady was going to pull out.  

Now, I assume they WILL.  If they don't, great, but if they do - I'm not in the lane anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The "Lay 'er down" derp comes from the idea some idiots have that it's preferable to ditch the bike and slide into your wreck rather than stay on the brakes until impact. Physics, it seems, mystifies some pirates and squids.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Drop dead gorgeous bike
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I took the MSF April 2013 and bought a bike May 2013.  I was the only one that had not bought a bike at this point or had prior riding experience.  I listened to the instructors and had a desire to do the course correctly.  As a result, I was number 2 on the "practical" test, beating out people that had ridden for years.  When I bought my bike, I disregarded people's advice to get a 250 and bought a used vstar 650.  The 650 was fine to learn more on and have fun with.  Now, I'm thinking of getting another type (I want a Bonneville).  

I think you would be fine to take the MSF, see how you like it, and then buy a bike ~650.  FWIW, I did "drop" my bike at about 6 mph turning left on gravel.  Gunned it from a stop and lowsided. No harm done to me or the bike, but it was eye opening as a new rider.  In OH helmets are optional, but I always wear one.  Most people don't.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a motorcycle riding class.
View Quote

And for the love of god the front brake provides most of the stopping power.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Honda Interceptor back in 1990. At that time I rode in NJ going to college to save money on gas. I commuted about 45-60 minutes down Rt 280 to East Orange, NJ. Crazy people out there. Be cautious, look way ahead and stay alert.

I survived, never laid it down or crashed. I did catch myself coming home on the highway a little too fast at times. (In the early afternoon the road was pretty quiet) I sold it before I killed myself. This was when I was 20-22yo.

I just bought another bike - a Yamaha Virago 750. Nice cruiser. Very cheap. $1800. In great shape and if I still enjoy it I may move up to something nicer. But this scratches my itch for now and will get me accustomed to riding again.

There definitely is something to be said about the foot peg positions. My Honda had the rear pegs so you could hug the tank easier. The Virago is more upright and I don't like it much. I took the highway bars off initially to clean up the lines a bit, but I ended up putting them back on to use the highway pegs so I could put my feet up on the pegs and lean back a bit - much more comfortable.

Here it is with my 5yo.

My old bike I had. Only a 500cc but plenty fast, as I was only 160 lbs back then.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Then what should I get?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped caring when I read this.

Then what should I get?

There are a lot of choices, and it's hard to settle on just one bike. But don't start out with Low Rider or a Forty-Eight.

Why? I work in the motorcycle industry and spend a lot of time talking to industry insiders, including those in the insurance business. Your insurance coverage for an FXDL or an XLH-48 would be the most expensive policy available. You would fall into the class of riders with the highest incidence of accidents and injuries:
-- Inexperienced rider over age 40 (I'm being presumptious here, you may be younger)
-- Large displacement motorcycle
-- Expensive motorcycle

If you're going through a mid-life crises, I can't stop you from buying the mid-life crises motorcycle.

But if you're serious about becoming a rider, take some time and do some research. Go to a newsstand or bookstore and buy every motorcycle magazine they have. Read them. Learn about the different kinds of bikes, and how they handle and perform. Go to every motorcycle dealer in your area and put your butt on every bike you can. Ask lots of questions.

In the meantime, take an MSF course. It will teach you a lot, earn you an "M" classification on your license, and qualify you for a 10% discount on insurance (if you buy a Low Rider, expect that discount to be provisional or limited).

Get a used bike for your first bike, something in the 500cc range. Ride it for a year and then decide (a) if you want to keep riding, and (b) what new motorcycle you would like to own.

If you're not willing to go through that, then I seriously recommend buying yourself a car instead. You can put a Harley decal on the rear window.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just traded in my '09 Buell XB12R on a '14 VROD Muscle.

Go take the MSF class and get your M endorsement. Then go ride every bike in town.

The Vrod is just enough cruiser to be comfortable, yet powerful enough to have a good time.

Oh, and fuck any kind of logic you can come up with. Wear a good helmet of some sort.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There are a lot of choices, and it's hard to settle on just one bike. But don't start out with Low Rider or a Forty-Eight.

Why? I work in the motorcycle industry and spend a lot of time talking to industry insiders, including those in the insurance business. Your insurance coverage for an FXDL or an XLH-48 would be the most expensive policy available. You would fall into the class of riders with the highest incidence of accidents and injuries:
-- Inexperienced rider over age 40 (I'm being presumptious here, you may be younger)
-- Expensive motorcycle

If you're going through a mid-life crises, I can't stop you from buying the mid-life crises motorcycle.

But if you're serious about becoming a rider, take some time and do some research. Go to a newsstand or bookstore and buy every motorcycle magazine they have. Read them. Learn about the different kinds of bikes, and how they handle and perform. Go to every motorcycle dealer in your area and put your butt on every bike you can. Ask lots of questions.

In the meantime, take an MSF course. It will teach you a lot, earn you an "M" classification on your license, and qualify you for a 10% discount on insurance (if you buy a Low Rider, expect that discount to be provisional or limited).

Get a used bike for your first bike, something in the 500cc range. Ride it for a year and then decide (a) if you want to keep riding, and (b) what new motorcycle you would like to own.

If you're not willing to go through that, then I seriously recommend buying yourself a car instead. You can put a Harley decal on the rear window.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what should I get?

-- Expensive motorcycle

I'm 27 and I sell insurance. I understand that taking the class will give me discount, but Its not that big of a deal to me. I will definitely be taking the class when I can find one around Houston.

I really don't want anything fast or sporty. I just want a smaller, classic looking bike to ride around my small town or the FM roads on the weekend.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm 27 and I sell insurance. I understand that taking the class will give me discount, but Its not that big of a deal to me. I will definitely be taking the class when I can find one around Houston.

I really don't want anything fast or sporty. I just want a smaller, classic looking bike to ride around my small town or the FM roads on the weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then what should I get?

-- Expensive motorcycle

Don't buy based on looks, until you have the experience...that's what a lot of people are recommending and it's a reasonable suggestion based on helping you to be a good, safe, and proficient rider.

I get it, you want a cool looking bike but you're going to make mistakes on a new bike. You'll want to test its limits, and yours, if your skill will improve. You'll knock it over, you might even wipe it out.

Buy a decent used mid-sized sport standard, or a dual sport, for a couple grand, and ride the shit out of it. Drop it, bang it around, have a fucking ball on it. It'll have a good, natural seating position and great agility. It'll have good power-to-weight and linear torque you can rely on. It'll have great visibility and handling, braking, etc. Something like that, that you're not afraid to really ride will get you to be a better rider faster than buying your dream bike and putting around cautiously for a year...until some shit happens you're not prepared for because you've been riding it afraid to knock it over.

Make sense? At the end of that first year, you can sell that bike for what you have in it...or you might find it's so damned fun you keep it around. But, it will inform what kind of bike you end up on better than looks, trust me on that. You may find you like an upright standard better, or you might want something more laid back, but you don't know till you have some time on two wheels. There's no downside to that plan, btw. You will not regret buying a beater and learning on it....never met a person who did, but I've met a few guys who ate shit on a shiny new bike.

Believe me, I have no vested interest in anything you end up with - bikes are bikes. My and other people's advice on that point is to help you get the most out of the hobby and keep from eating pavement.

And, of course, wear all your gear. All the time. Pavement does not forgive.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what should I get?

-- Expensive motorcycle

Team Mancuso does MSF courses on the weekends.  Give them a call.

Get a small dual-sport, maybe an EX-500, anything other than a cruiser.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#19]
No, I totally agree with what you are saying, swingset. I think i'll look locally for something like you mentioned and learn on these rural roads with no traffic. I see that its pretty stupid to buy a new bike winking that I will fuck it up the first week if I learn on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You will have at least a minor incident/accident on it. It is just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You will have at least a minor incident/accident on it. It is just a matter of time.
View Quote

Yup, at the very least you'll drop it a few times until you're more relaxed and comfortable.

One of the reasons I tell people to buy a dual sport is you can go ride in a big field or on some light trails and get more confidence, skill and experience in a day than 6 months of riding on the streets. Learning on the dirt teaches you (with relative safety) how to ride when your traction goes away or you're about to eat it. That is where you life saving skill resides....knowing how to fight your instincts and save from a slide or keep from grabbing brakes in a turn.

Not to mention, it's a fucking blast. It's like fucking 20 decent girls before you go on your first real date with a pretty one.

And, the dual sport is meant to be dropped, and banged around, and doesn't much care if you hit a tree.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, at the very least you'll drop it a few times until you're more relaxed and comfortable.

One of the reasons I tell people to buy a dual sport is you can go ride in a big field or on some light trails and get more confidence, skill and experience in a day than 6 months of riding on the streets. Learning on the dirt teaches you (with relative safety) how to ride when your traction goes away or you're about to eat it. That is where you life saving skill resides....knowing how to fight your instincts and save from a slide or keep from grabbing brakes in a turn.

Not to mention, it's a fucking blast. It's like fucking 20 decent girls before you go on your first real date with a pretty one.

And, the dual sport is meant to be dropped, and banged around, and doesn't much care if you hit a tree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said --->
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Go find one that you can sit on with both feet touching the ground comfortably.
Buy it.
Drive off with a gopro mounted.
Post results.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Seriously, there's some great advice here.
The beater bit is a winner.

Never buy the "new" bike you think you want to end up with as your first bike.

Realize a sport vs a cruiser are two VERY different riding experiences.

I wish I had bought a dual sport when I first started riding.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you are paying attention, this is some good advice right here.

Dirt experience goes a long way in being a better, safer rider. Brake control,body positioning,and so many other skills are used all the time playing in the dirt.

A novice rider and a big heavy cruiser is kind of a recipe for a minor disaster. (IMO)

Good luck in your quest of motorcycling knowledge,and ride safe.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Are there stairs nearby?

Do you own in-line skates?

Because I think you should have a motorcycle... and a GoPro... and a YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Another thing about riding in the dirt that REALLY makes you a better rider is learning not to target fixate. For the OP, that's the phenomena where you subconsciously focus on the object you're trying to avoid and steer into it - it's involuntary and a survival reaction (albeit a terrible one). For instance, you are going around a turn too fast, you fear you can't make the turn, so your eyes go to the outside of the turn and you inadvertently steer wider and thus make it worse.
In the dirt, you cannot ride - at all - if you target fixate. You'll hit every fucking hole, rock, rut and stump and be on your ass all day long (which happens the first real trail ride, lol). But, very quickly you learn what street riders have a tougher time drilling into their head - you go where you look so if you look between the obstacles, you go between them. If you look through the turn, you go there. Getting this part drilled into your head from the outset may very well save your life.
Think of it like learning trigger control on a .22 and making it muscle memory before taking a .50bmg and teaching a shooter. Learning on one translates upward - but trying to learn on the big gun takes a lot more effort (and works against your instincts).

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Meh, do you like having short-term memory? A buddy of mine got in a low speed accident. Hit his head. It's not quite "coloring books for Christmas" but it's close.
View Quote

Good one.

Danny

ETA: Sorry for your buddy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I think somebody at some point said dual sport?
Do that
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't try to ride your buddies bike without having experience. You just might end up paying for his fairing to get painted when you never even went over 2 mph
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think somebody at some point said dual sport?

Do that
View Quote

And that does not mean a giant fucking pig of a dual sport like a KLR. Slow, heavy, slow and did I mention heavy?

DRZ400, WR250R, DR350, plated 450, etc.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That little Yamaha is bad ass for what it is.....

ETA: Here you go OP!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When I get a tailgater, I'll slow down, get to the curb and wave his dumb ass past me. It's not worth losing the game of physics, and if he's too close even if I'm hyper vigilant and brake normally his inability to stop safely could mean my life.

Space is always your friend on 2 wheels...the more you got, the better you can ride and escape hazards and dumb shits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a motorcycle, use your skinny profile to your advantage and always position yourself in the lane so you can see many cars ahead.    That way you and the asshole tailgating you don't get surprised.

When I get a tailgater, I'll slow down, get to the curb and wave his dumb ass past me. It's not worth losing the game of physics, and if he's too close even if I'm hyper vigilant and brake normally his inability to stop safely could mean my life.

Space is always your friend on 2 wheels...the more you got, the better you can ride and escape hazards and dumb shits.

My Rule Number One:

If the guy in the car wants the road that bad, he can have it.

OP, you'll also find it makes you better at driving a car. You start to look for things and you start to see what's happening around you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

-- Expensive motorcycle

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then what should I get?

-- Expensive motorcycle

Certainly not advocating it as his first bike, but there are plenty of high end and powerful bikes that are super cheap to insure.  My Ducati Hypermotard 1100s is $280/yr with full coverage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
My main reason for not having a motorcycle.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a Honda Interceptor back in 1990. At that time I rode in NJ going to college to save money on gas. I commuted about 45-60 minutes down Rt 280 to East Orange, NJ. Crazy people out there. Be cautious, look way ahead and stay alert.

I survived, never laid it down or crashed. I did catch myself coming home on the highway a little too fast at times. (In the early afternoon the road was pretty quiet) I sold it before I killed myself. This was when I was 20-22yo.

I just bought another bike - a Yamaha Virago 750. Nice cruiser. Very cheap. $1800. In great shape and if I still enjoy it I may move up to something nicer. But this scratches my itch for now and will get me accustomed to riding again.

There definitely is something to be said about the foot peg positions. My Honda had the rear pegs so you could hug the tank easier. The Virago is more upright and I don't like it much. I took the highway bars off initially to clean up the lines a bit, but I ended up putting them back on to use the highway pegs so I could put my feet up on the pegs and lean back a bit - much more comfortable.

Here it is with my 5yo.

<a href="http://s169.photobucket.com/user/wgilchrist/media/Vehicles/2014-06-08150806_zpsfe4defc7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/wgilchrist/Vehicles/2014-06-08150806_zpsfe4defc7.jpg</a>

My old bike I had. Only a 500cc but plenty fast, as I was only 160 lbs back then.

<a href="http://s169.photobucket.com/user/wgilchrist/media/Vehicles/HondaIntercepter.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/wgilchrist/Vehicles/HondaIntercepter.jpg</a>
View Quote

And that was such a lovely time to be around 280. The Christopher Columbus Houses were stunning, especially if you stopped to see the curtains and plants painted in the windows.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Holy shit.  Beat this one up for <$1K.....   Link
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't buy based on looks, until you have the experience...that's what a lot of people are recommending and it's a reasonable suggestion based on helping you to be a good, safe, and proficient rider.

I get it, you want a cool looking bike but you're going to make mistakes on a new bike. You'll want to test its limits, and yours, if your skill will improve. You'll knock it over, you might even wipe it out.

Buy a decent used mid-sized sport standard, or a dual sport, for a couple grand, and ride the shit out of it. Drop it, bang it around, have a fucking ball on it. It'll have a good, natural seating position and great agility. It'll have good power-to-weight and linear torque you can rely on. It'll have great visibility and handling, braking, etc. Something like that, that you're not afraid to really ride will get you to be a better rider faster than buying your dream bike and putting around cautiously for a year...until some shit happens you're not prepared for because you've been riding it afraid to knock it over.

Make sense? At the end of that first year, you can sell that bike for what you have in it...or you might find it's so damned fun you keep it around. But, it will inform what kind of bike you end up on better than looks, trust me on that. You may find you like an upright standard better, or you might want something more laid back, but you don't know till you have some time on two wheels. There's no downside to that plan, btw. You will not regret buying a beater and learning on it....never met a person who did, but I've met a few guys who ate shit on a shiny new bike.

Believe me, I have no vested interest in anything you end up with - bikes are bikes. My and other people's advice on that point is to help you get the most out of the hobby and keep from eating pavement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then what should I get?

-- Expensive motorcycle

This man has some good advice
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Kawasaki Versys 650. Very good bike for the new rider. Upright seating position and a very smooth motor.

If your in the DFW area a friend of mine has motorcycle rental business and deals with a lot of new riders fresh from an MSF course. She has a good selection of smaller sport bikes and cruisers so you can find what you like the best.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 on the dual sport.

Relatively cheap, practical,not too powerful and will put a big shit eating grin on your face.

I had a klr650 a few years ago and just picked a used wr250r.

Budget Atleast $500 for gear. That will get you good basic gear if you shop around.

Unless you are really shooting for the moto pirate or ninja look get a bright colored helmet and jacket.

Www.twtex.com (not hot I'm on a phone)

Good resource and you can probably ask some help from local guys.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I started riding on a beater dirt bike, got hooked and bought an 06' Fz1

eta* pic

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the WR250X and put dirt tires on it.  I love that bike. (I love my other bikes too)
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I started riding on a beater dirt bike, got hooked and bought an 06' Fz1

eta* pic

http://i58.tinypic.com/dpwvgw.jpg
View Quote
How you make it naked ?

Buy Canadian or Aussie parts ?

you have grab bars in the rear so I assume it it started as a faired US model

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#44]
You can score a pretty decent Honda A.C.E. on Craigslist for a good price, they get cheaper when it gets colder.

The Honda A.C.E (American Classic Edition) is pretty forgiving, lower center of gravity, easy to work on with plenty available parts and aftermarket goods.  They come in 600cc, 750cc and 1100cc.  Also see Honda Sabre

The Honda ST1300 is a touring style bike, but is great fun to ride, with more power and more of an upright seating position. I would venture to say touring models aren't suited for beginners.  They have a higher center of gravity and lots more power, two things beginners could struggle with.

Depending on your taste, there are a lot of choices out there.  As others have said, get and wear your gear, pavement is unforgiving.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Another thing about riding in the dirt that REALLY makes you a better rider is learning not to target fixate. For the OP, that's the phenomena where you subconsciously focus on the object you're trying to avoid and steer into it - it's involuntary and a survival reaction (albeit a terrible one). For instance, you are going around a turn too fast, you fear you can't make the turn, so your eyes go to the outside of the turn and you inadvertently steer wider and thus make it worse.

In the dirt, you cannot ride - at all - if you target fixate. You'll hit every fucking hole, rock, rut and stump and be on your ass all day long (which happens the first real trail ride, lol). But, very quickly you learn what street riders have a tougher time drilling into their head - you go where you look so if you look between the obstacles, you go between them. If you look through the turn, you go there. Getting this part drilled into your head from the outset may very well save your life.

Think of it like learning trigger control on a .22 and making it muscle memory before taking a .50bmg and teaching a shooter. Learning on one translates upward - but trying to learn on the big gun takes a lot more effort (and works against your instincts).
View Quote
My dad had me ride a lot as a kid in dirt at the cabin and said "Now that's out of your system, you don't get to ride on pavement" He commuted on a bike for as long as I can remember and after one too many close calls, he sold his bike.

Now, I really think my wife and I should take a class and get a used dirt bike for trails at the cabin just to learn how to ride as a life skill. Neither of us have a desire to do anything other than dirt riding. We currently ride ATVs and have spent time on scooters, but shes never driven a bike.

Given that, should we look at dual sport? No interest in having more than one bike.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#46]
So now are we saying that dirt riding will make you a better rider in the street than actually riding in the street?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So now are we saying that dirt riding will make you a better rider in the street than actually riding in the street?

View Quote

Just do both if you can..skills you pick up in the dirt will help your bike control skills in the street
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Just do both if you can..skills you pick up in the dirt will help your bike control skills in the street
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Watch an inexperienced rider panic when they hit gravel on the street causing the ass end to kick out a bit for the first time and you'll know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
One of fastest production bikes.

You can have loads of fun at 250 MPH!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your first bike should definitely be a Hayabusa.

One of fastest production bikes.

You can have loads of fun at 250 MPH!

Fuck that, need a Kawasaki ZX-14.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My dad had me ride a lot as a kid in dirt at the cabin and said "Now that's out of your system, you don't get to ride on pavement" He commuted on a bike for as long as I can remember and after one too many close calls, he sold his bike.

Now, I really think my wife and I should take a class and get a used dirt bike for trails at the cabin just to learn how to ride as a life skill. Neither of us have a desire to do anything other than dirt riding. We currently ride ATVs and have spent time on scooters, but shes never driven a bike.

Given that, should we look at dual sport? No interest in having more than one bike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would. Get a bike that fits you both. Something in the 250-400 class would work well. If she's tAll enough (or you get a lowering link), it sounds like a DRZ 400 would work well for you guys. Mild enough for her...enough shit for you not to get bored.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top