Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/20/2014 6:16:49 PM EDT
but I know nothing about them and I have never sat on one.

What now?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Run into a wall full speed.  If you feel good afterwards, go take the intro class.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a motorcycle riding class.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ducati Monster.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
MSF is a must. It's fun as heck. I still have my bikes from before the kids were born. No time for them now and am considering turning them into guns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Your first bike should definitely be a Hayabusa.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you ride a bicycle without training wheels that goes fast?

Danny
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MSF is a must.
View Quote

If you know nothing about bikes, don't even think about just getting one. Go take the MSF BRC (or equivalent).

ETA - I say this as a motorcyclist myself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea what that is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A really fast crotch rocket death machine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
their called donorcycles fora reason
btw ex mc owner, got the stupid shit out of the way , when i was younger
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a MSF course.  You can ride/drop their bikes and figure out if motorcycling is for you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Take the MSF BRC before you think about it any more.  They will loan you a bike for the course.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of fastest production bikes.

You can have loads of fun at 250 MPH!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Take an intro class...then go get a BMW. Enough Said.

U can thank me later.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Meh, do you like having short-term memory? A buddy of mine got in a low speed accident. Hit his head. It's not quite "coloring books for Christmas" but it's close.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you know nothing about bikes, don't even think about just getting one. Go take the MSF BRC (or equivalent).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MSF is a must.

+1
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I just want something like a Harley low rider or a forty eight.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Take the MSF BRC before you think about it any more.  They will loan you a bike for the course.

View Quote

+2
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This x100.  It's a controlled environment, you'll learn to ride a little, and figure out if it's for you.  If you drop the bike, it's their bike.  If you pass the class and feel good about it, do some research.  Get your license, and buy a used small bike you can handle and you're off and running.

Oh and don't let anyone tell you you'll die or it's too dangerous. I bought into that crap years ago and lost a lot of good years I could have been riding.  It's equivalent to people telling you not to get a gun for self defense because someone will use it on you.  That's BS.  Educate yourself, become proficient, and do what any grown ass man has a right to do and don't listen to naysayers.  That's my biggest piece of advice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Learn to ride FIRST

Harley parts are expensive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This ^^^^

And then get the Duc

Those aren't marbles rumbling around in there, just the sweet music of a dry clutch...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This x100.  It's a controlled environment, you'll learn to ride a little, and figure out if it's for you.  If you drop the bike, it's their bike.  If you pass the class and feel good about it, do some research.  Get your license, and buy a used small bike you can handle and you're off and running.

Oh and don't let anyone tell you you'll die or it's too dangerous. I bought into that crap years ago and lost a lot of good years I could have been riding.  It's equivalent to people telling you not to get a gun for self defense because someone will use it on you.  That's BS.  Educate yourself, become proficient, and do what any grown ass man has a right to do and don't listen to naysayers.  That's my biggest piece of advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+3
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Buy my Vstrom so I can go buy the fz09 I want.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Go to the showroom and see all the different models they offer. If your looking at sport bikes start small. Matter of fact start small no matter what kind of bike your looking at. You work your way up as your riding skills improve.
Get an idea of what kind of riding you plan on doing. Street, Cruise, Tour, Dirt? I tend to stay away from dirt bikes myself because my Evel Kneivel tendencies appear and I end up hurting myself.
Go take the Rider Safety Course and have fun and ride safe.
One more thing. ' Always ride with protection'
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Learn to ride FIRST

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to ride FIRST

I live in BFE... I looked at their website and they have no classes within 500 miles of me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#26]
You'll suddenly realize that everybody around you on the road values that text they just got more than your life. Take a msf class and pay attention to everything, bikes are fun, just be aware of your surroundings. And check your mirrors if you brake. A soccer mom texting, tried to take me out. I stopped, she didnt. It hurt. But i had on all my gear, i really think the helmet saved my life that day. My head bounced off her hood. The brain bucket kept it safe. Be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Yamaha Bolt or FZ07.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Definitely MSF course.  Its worth every penny for most riders.  I had been riding dirtbikes for over 20 years when I took it to get my license, and there was still some usable info gained.  Plus it was a fun way to kill a couple afternoons away from work.    Its a great course for first time riders that didn't even know how a clutch worked, too.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I live in BFE... I looked at their website and they have no classes within 500 miles of me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to ride FIRST

LSUS has a course. There has got to be one down in your area.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Dibs on all your stuff.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Learn to ride FIRST

I drove 700 miles round trip for my first suppressor- from one end of the state to the other practically.  I know what BFE is.

You can puss out on this or plan ahead and make it a vacation.  Have the woman go shopping while you have fun at the course; or bring a buddy.  This will save you dollars in the short term, and put down a good foundation that might save your life someday.  It is worth making it happen.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
but I know nothing about them and I have never sat on one.

What now?
View Quote

ETA:  Bought my first bike when I was 12.  I'm 47 now and have a 2003 VTX 1800 that I bought new in the garage.   Definitely do the MSF course.  Ask about it at your local Community College.  Most of them offer the course.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
just to echo what others have said.... take the damn MSF course. In Michigan where I am they are cheap, and even if they aren't where you are, it's still reasonable compared to dropping a new bike that you have to repair. You'll learn a lot and potentially get a discount on insurance.

Next, buy a SMALL bike first. Yeah yeah yeah, you want a harley and don't want to look like a grasshoper fucking an ant on some small dinky bike. I get it, I was there. Buy a small bike and learn how to throw it around. No it won't be cheaper to just buy what you want now, especially not when you drop it. Small bikes have an amazing way of holding their value (new people are always learning and wanting to get a starter bike) and are just plain better to start out on and typically more forgiving to make mistakes on. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have jumped right on huge bikes and have been fine, me personally, I'm glad I started on a 250 nighthawk and am now comfortable riding big bikes.

If or when you get a bike, assume everyone is trying to kill you at all times. I've only been riding for 8 years now but this mentality has absolutely saved me some skin and more likely than not, my life. Oh and where some damn protective gear. Skin grafts and drool cups don't look that cool...,
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#35]
This order:

1.) Buy a helmet
2.) Take a MSF riders course
3.)  Buy a Road King
4.)  Experience happiness
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Honda Grom
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Indian Scout:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Google up some motorbike gore pictures. It works for me when I get the urge to purchase one.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a super crotch rocket.

Take the MSF class. Start looking at bikes to figure out what kind of bike you want. You can get a crotch rocket, cruiser/tour (Harley type), dual sport (KTM), or a plain "motorcycle" like a Triumph Bonneville. The class will be a good place to help you decide what kind of ride you want. It's all about what you enjoy and you're comfortable riding. Fuck everybody else.

Questions to ask yourself:

Do you want to go off-road?
Do you want to go on long trips?
Do you want to go ludicrous speed?
Do you want to ride around town because it's fun?

How much money are you willing to spend?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I want one every Tuesday night for about 10 weeks......then the desire leaves me for the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, totally.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not dead yet, I feel fine, I think I will go for a walk...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Take a MSF course.  You can ride/drop their bikes and figure out if motorcycling is for you.
View Quote

This can't be said enough times
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, totally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, totally.

Worked for the Steelers QB
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hope you know a good chiropractor
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This order:

1.) Buy a helmet
2.) Take a MSF riders course
3.)  Buy a Road King
4.)  Experience happiness
View Quote

5.) Drop/crash expensive bike

If you seriously want to ride, go get a used smaller bike AFTER taking your intro class.  I was the only person in the class that hadn't purchased a bike and many discovered that riding wasn't for them.  If you get to actually riding on public roads, go around empty neighborhoods to get your confidence.  Remember, everybody is out to hit you - don't give them the chance.

Then stop by a REAL biker bar and watch all the old bikers limp in and listen to the crazy stories about all the crashes.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#47]

I'm typically a sport touring motorcycle guy, but mother of god, I want one!

Easy choice over a Sportster or Bolt, IMO
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#48]
I just got my license a month ago and my first cycle after 37 years.  I'm glad I got into it at a later age, I would have killed myself if I rode at 21.  It's the single most fun thing I've done in years.  I don't like highway riding, which is good as it's where most deaths happen.  Be smart, aware, and wear your gear all the time, and you'll be good.  I took the MSF course first too, highly recommend it. My cycle:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Funny, I've been thinking the same thing as a way to get to the train.  I planned on taking the MSF and getting a small bike.  But folks seem to say there are bikers who have crashed and those who haven't crashed yet, and I'm not sure I need that.  Plus, with all the gear that you should wear, it isn't that practical to haul that all to work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you want to go off-road?
Do you want to go on long trips?
Do you want to go ludicrous speed?
Do you want to ride around town because it's fun?
View Quote

Sweet.  He can use a Hayabusa for three of those things!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top