Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Been living in Riga, Latvia for over a year now. IM me for more sightseeing info or just general questions about my people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When in Rome...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to go one of these years, my father's father's parents emigrated from Lithuania. They changed their names at Ellis Island in 1911,  so I can't really trace them any farther back.

You can if you want to.

I know what he changed his name to, but I don't know what he changed it from. I never met the old man and great grandma had Alzheimers. Grandpop died when I was six, and I never met his brother and family. Ain't much to work with, history wise.

If I ever get over there, I'll eat the food, drink the beer, check out the historical stuff and oogle the scenery!

You forgot fondle the women.

When in Rome...

Fondle roman women?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well tickets are booked!  We're flying into Krakow, spending 3 days there (of course one day in Auschwitz) and then flying to Tallinn.  We've got a good bit of time between Tallinn and Helsinki Finland.  We're flying out of Finland and back to the US.

I'd like to rent a car in Tallinn and drive out to the Estonian countryside.
View Quote

If you have a couple spare days,take the overnight ferry to Stockholm from Tallinn to get another country checked off the list :)

Suggestions for Tallinn? Walking tour of old town,wild game dinner at Olde Hansa,Occupation Museum,the Seaplane Harbour museum,art museum,go up the TV tower if its a nice day and you and your wife are OK with heights,when out for lunch in town I like Porgu -purgatory- way down in a basement in Old Town. I could start rambling like the tourist board...

I won't be back in Eesti until December,when it's proper cold. Estonia isn't very big so  if you'd like to see countryside you could take  trips to Saaremaa ,where we are from,and Tartu where the university is.

Just because,here's an Estonian girl shooting a Hi Power
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I think it's only like 150 miles from Tallinn. Quick drive. I just feel bad spending any money in Putin's kingdom. Plus is the visa a pain to get?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're in the neighborhood, why not see St. Petersburg?

It's a fascinating city.  Check it out with Google Earth and wikipedia.

I think it's only like 150 miles from Tallinn. Quick drive. I just feel bad spending any money in Putin's kingdom. Plus is the visa a pain to get?

The visa is bloody expensive for Americans but you don't need it if you take one of the cruises that goes from Tallinn that permits you 48 hours without a visa.

It's a beautiful city even if my sentiment is "fuck Putin with a burning cactus"
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeah,glad you'll make it soon since Obama told Putin to keep his hands off the Baltics it won't be long until Narva needs protected
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Old town Tallinn is lovely. You can hop on the ferry and get over to Helsinki for an afternoon if you like.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Old town Tallinn is lovely. You can hop on the ferry and get over to Helsinki for an afternoon if you like.
View Quote

We are going to take a ferry over to Helsinki and then fly out from there. I'll post an AAR with pics when I get back in early October.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you have a couple spare days,take the overnight ferry to Stockholm from Tallinn to get another country checked off the list :)

Suggestions for Tallinn? Walking tour of old town,wild game dinner at Olde Hansa,Occupation Museum,the Seaplane Harbour museum,art museum,go up the TV tower if its a nice day and you and your wife are OK with heights,when out for lunch in town I like Porgu -purgatory- way down in a basement in Old Town. I could start rambling like the tourist board...

I won't be back in Eesti until December,when it's proper cold. Estonia isn't very big so  if you'd like to see countryside you could take  trips to Saaremaa ,where we are from,and Tartu where the university is.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/998281B6-22AE-4D44-ADF9-2252EF8E8837-4700-000003F3A59CB150_zps81a0c99f.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well tickets are booked!  We're flying into Krakow, spending 3 days there (of course one day in Auschwitz) and then flying to Tallinn.  We've got a good bit of time between Tallinn and Helsinki Finland.  We're flying out of Finland and back to the US.

I'd like to rent a car in Tallinn and drive out to the Estonian countryside.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/998281B6-22AE-4D44-ADF9-2252EF8E8837-4700-000003F3A59CB150_zps81a0c99f.jpg

Thanks for the info! I'll check out all of the sites in Tallinn. I doubt I'll have time to make it to Sweeden but we are going to Helsinki and flying out from there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Tallinn is quite small so if you do end up with a spare day its a nice overnight cruise to Stockholm and it's one of my favorite cities.

If I was there we would gladly show you around a bit! I live/work in Massachusetts during sailing season but since New England winters aren't cold enough go back to be  with the family.I'm sticking around a bit longer to finish up some projects for next summer and get some fall surfing in.

Oh yes,Estonians tend to eat some really weird things for Americans: jellied eels,sült,pickled pumpkin at breakfast with blood sausage...It's OK,it won't kill ya
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Olde Hansa is a Must!

Very cool "unique" restaurant
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Tallinn is quite small so if you do end up with a spare day its a nice overnight cruise to Stockholm and it's one of my favorite cities.

If I was there we would gladly show you around a bit! I live/work in Massachusetts during sailing season but since New England winters aren't cold enough go back to be  with the family.I'm sticking around a bit longer to finish up some projects for next summer and get some fall surfing in.

Oh yes,Estonians tend to eat some really weird things for Americans: jellied eels,sült,pickled pumpkin at breakfast with blood sausage...It's OK,it won't kill ya
View Quote

New England winters aren't cold enough?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm leaving this Sunday.  I'll post an AAR with pictures when I return....
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
tag!

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have fun. I'm currently in Warsaw. The weather has been fantastic. Girls still out in summer dresses.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Krakow is a nice smaller city.. You will have a good time!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag. I'm going to be in the area soon, but strictly work related. I might head up that way for leisure later.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fantastic,really hope you enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got back from the trip yesterday.  My younger brother (who just graduated from college and has a little free time) had a great time.  I liked Tallinn the best out of the three cities that we visited.  Estonia is an awesome country.  Beautiful countryside, women and city. The people were extremely friendly and the ones that I met seemingly well educated and informed.

I even managed a Tinder date in Tallinn.  Met a girl for dinner.  She had lots of interesting things to say about Estonia.  All of the locals that I met are very concerned about Putin's actions in Ukraine.  I don't get the feeling that they are too confident in Obama's "We have your back" speech that he gave a few weeks ago either....

We started off in Krakow, Poland.  It was a beautiful small city, and VERY inexpensive.

Great food for cheap:

Day trip to Auschwitz.  One of the worst places I've ever visited.  Well worth the trip for what it is, but truly a miserable place to be.  I'm not a very religious person, but one could feel the death and bad juju in the air.

Execution wall:

Jumped on a quick couple of flights over to Tallinn, Estonia:

KGB Museum:

We dined like Kings for most of the trip. It was peak mushroom season and everything that we had was wonderful:

Rented a car and took a day trip out to Laehemaa National Park:

Jumped a ferry over to Helsinki, Finland.  Beautiful area, but quite expensive compared to Tallinn:

A little Valmet action:

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll also add a few more pictures from my DSLR when I edit and upload them...
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like you had a good time! Now you know why I go to Poland so often.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#21]
The building under the harbor picture is the Virgins Tower.

It was the jail for prostitutes in the old days
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my second trip to Eastern Europe and the more I go the more I love it. The people are so friendly, the women are mostly smoking hot, and everything is inexpensive. What's not to love? If I had the money or time I would spend a few months there every year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the post, I enjoyed the pics
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This was my second trip to Eastern NorthernEurope and the more I go the more I love it. The people are so friendly, the women are mostly smoking hot, and everything is inexpensive. What's not to love? If I had the money or time I would spend a few months there every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my second trip to Eastern NorthernEurope and the more I go the more I love it. The people are so friendly, the women are mostly smoking hot, and everything is inexpensive. What's not to love? If I had the money or time I would spend a few months there every year.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Bulgaria,Romania and Ukraine et al are Eastern Europe. Estonia and Finland are in Northern Europe; don't make this another border issue! Estonia isn't a Nordic country but it's not filled with wheat fields and Gypsies either

Anyway, glad you came home with a good impression. As for the issue with Russia,no,nobody really expects the US to go to war over a million people most Americans have no idea exist. We aren't talking about Kuwait and Iraq here and that is just being realistic as to Estonia's value to the US/NATO. As for the overall issue I have a slightly different fear that if the ruble goes from slide to nosedive and Russia's economy entirely falls apart that Putin goes for broke . While I'd love to see the oligarch rats abandon ship I'm worried about the asshole nationalist Russians who actually believe the shit they've been fed the past 10 years especially.

Just FWIW,if the USSR's economy had not tanked and funds had been available,all of old town Tallinn was to have been destroyed in the 80s and replaced with commieblock workers apartments populated by Siberians. The same was planned for Riga in Latvia as both were going to become Russian manufacturing cities.
 The USSR trying to prop up every POS regime from Nicaragua to Vietnam and fighting in Afghanistan saved them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow, I really want to visit there now.  Great pix.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bulgaria,Romania and Ukraine et al are Eastern Europe. Estonia and Finland are in Northern Europe; don't make this another border issue! Estonia isn't a Nordic country but it's not filled with wheat fields and Gypsies either

Anyway, glad you came home with a good impression. As for the issue with Russia,no,nobody really expects the US to go to war over a million people most Americans have no idea exist. We aren't talking about Kuwait and Iraq here and that is just being realistic as to Estonia's value to the US/NATO. As for the overall issue I have a slightly different fear that if the ruble goes from slide to nosedive and Russia's economy entirely falls apart that Putin goes for broke . While I'd love to see the oligarch rats abandon ship I'm worried about the asshole nationalist Russians who actually believe the shit they've been fed the past 10 years especially.

Just FWIW,if the USSR's economy had not tanked and funds had been available,all of old town Tallinn was to have been destroyed in the 80s and replaced with commieblock workers apartments populated by Siberians. The same was planned for Riga in Latvia as both were going to become Russian manufacturing cities.
 The USSR trying to prop up every POS regime from Nicaragua to Vietnam and fighting in Afghanistan saved them.
View Quote

I think we need a nice anti-Putin meetup sometime soon lol.
You know, before the borders close back up as WW3 starts.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow @ the arms on the lady shooting the hi-power.

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This was my second trip to Eastern Europe and the more I go the more I love it. The people are so friendly, the women are mostly smoking hot, and everything is inexpensive. What's not to love? If I had the money or time I would spend a few months there every year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm there five or six times a year. Been looking at buying a condo there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Yes. Esti can into Nordics because Canada says so, and since we own the North Pole and the Arctic, that makes us the arbiter of everything Nordic
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes. Esti can into Nordics because Canada says so, and since we own the North Pole and the Arctic, that makes us the arbiter of everything Nordic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

As an American, I give the Canadian permission to make it so.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice pics man. I can't get over how clean everything is over there. No trash in the streets anywhere!
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Canada isn't even a country, it's just America's hat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Says sweden

LOL
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Says sweden

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Says sweden

LOL

Aren't you lot considered the Danes of the Western Hemisphere?

lol
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just got back from the trip yesterday.  My younger brother (who just graduated from college and has a little free time) had a great time.  I liked Tallinn the best out of the three cities that we visited.  Estonia is an awesome country.  Beautiful countryside, women and city. The people were extremely friendly and the ones that I met seemingly well educated and informed.

I even managed a Tinder date in Tallinn.  Met a girl for dinner.  She had lots of interesting things to say about Estonia.  All of the locals that I met are very concerned about Putin's actions in Ukraine.  I don't get the feeling that they are too confident in Obama's "We have your back" speech that he gave a few weeks ago either....

View Quote

Pics or it didn't happen!

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Great pics-been to all those places except Poland.  I have also eaten at Olde Hansa, which has a menu dating back to the 1600's-had the bear entre meal.

One minor correction on the Finnish Rk95.  It was made by SAKO, not Valmet.

Thanks again for the pics, and I love Tallinn as well, followed by Stockholm.

Summer festival in Tallinn, 2005

Erna 2008

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it.  I go to Poland a lot (going again in December.)

Krakow is fantastic.  You'll love it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of prices are you seeing?  Who owns/does the common upkeep?  I've asked around Ukraine and I don't think there is a clear cut answer on the older units since the thought is that someone else is responsible.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

First Estonian I met I was very impressed by.  She was a cute blonde exchange student that could fluently speak Russian, German, and English (with little accent).
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I am planning a trip to Kazakhstan next summer. It is a beautiful country as well. Been to Europe, East Asia, Korea, and I want to see central Asia in a peaceful country.
I am guessing that visas to Russia are almost impossible to get right now, or I would visit central Russia as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Says sweden

LOL

lol

LOL

No

Just because we share 90% of our military equipment doesn't mean we're like Danmark. Our women, beer, pastries, bacon and porn are of much higher quality.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What kind of prices are you seeing?  Who owns/does the common upkeep?  I've asked around Ukraine and I don't think there is a clear cut answer on the older units since the thought is that someone else is responsible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on what you want. You can get a nice 30-40sm place for under $100k in Warsaw. Out side Warsaw? Hell, you could find a nice house with land for that. I'd likely stay in Warsaw, don't really want the trouble of getting a car and such over there. Common upkeep? That's funny. It's east europe.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Mi scusi mi scusi!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am planning a trip to Kazakhstan next summer. It is a beautiful country as well. Been to Europe, East Asia, Korea, and I want to see central Asia in a peaceful country.
I am guessing that visas to Russia are almost impossible to get right now, or I would visit central Russia as well.
View Quote

Visas to Russia have always been a pain in the ass to get and took forever to get.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Depends on what you want. You can get a nice 30-40sm place for under $100k in Warsaw. Out side Warsaw? Hell, you could find a nice house with land for that. I'd likely stay in Warsaw, don't really want the trouble of getting a car and such over there. Common upkeep? That's funny. It's east europe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Eastern Warsawa really that bad of a part of town?  Was warned by a local when connecting on a train but I didn't notice much from the station.

ETA - Does the $100K include a woman?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is Eastern Warsawa really that bad of a part of town?  Was warned by a local when connecting on a train but I didn't notice much from the station.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[quot e]Quoted:
Looks like you had a good time! Now you know why I go to Poland so often. [/quote ]

I've been warned as well. But I've also been warned about some of the smaller towns, like Bydgoszcz. The girl I've been seeing lives there, I've never had any problems, even wandering home drunk at 2am. But there is always that chance. So if someone warns you to stay away it's likely for a good reason. The worst I've seen is street fighting, pretty much drunks getting into a good brawl. Which is not a big deal, but they do like to drink and get into fights. If you have $100k to buy a condo/apartment, you'll have no problem finding a girl. Trust me. If you go back over, try tinder. Seriously. The girls speak English for the most part, and want to be with US men. Just be warned they always want to have sex sans condom, for obvious reasons. But still a good time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've been warned as well. But I've also been warned about some of the smaller towns, like Bydgoszcz. The girl I've been seeing lives there, I've never had any problems, even wandering home drunk at 2am. But there is always that chance. So if someone warns you to stay away it's likely for a good reason. The worst I've seen is street fighting, pretty much drunks getting into a good brawl. Which is not a big deal, but they do like to drink and get into fights. If you have $100k to buy a condo/apartment, you'll have no problem finding a girl. Trust me. If you go back over, try tinder. Seriously. The girls speak English for the most part, and want to be with US men. Just be warned they always want to have sex sans condom, for obvious reasons. But still a good time.
View Quote

What are the rules for foreign ownership?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top