Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If you like it really sweet, you probably need ~3 cups per gallon.  That is about the max.  I use 2/3 cup per gallon, but we don't like it super sweet.

Boil water.
Pour over 4 tea bags. (luzianne)
Cover and let sit for an hour.  (longer the stronger)
Put desired sugar in pitcher.
Pour warm tea over sugar.
Stir to dissolve.
Top pitcher off with cold water while constantly stirring.
Serve over ice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ice tea maker? Yet another single purpose borderline useless kitchen gadget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ice Tea maker, follow directions, add a cup of sugar, stir til all the sugar dissolves.

Pour a nice tall glass and enjoy.

eta: Tetley or Lipton

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Yep. Only monotasker in your kitchen:
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Whoaaa sugar makes it sweeter? No way!
View Quote

No, you do..Sweetie

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I put 2 quart tea bags in a pot(enough to hold 2 quarts) and brig to a boil.  put 1 cup of sugar in pitcher and once tea boils pour into picther and stir.  

good to go then
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you want to. Tastes like Johnny reb horse piss. You would have to be from the south  to drink it that swill
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:05:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, how old are you? Adult onset of diabetes can happen at any age. I hope you never develop it, but it's a chance...enhanced by consuming large amounts of sugar. Lots of people smoke cigarettes...and they don't all develop lung cancer or heart disease...but the ones that do can usually identify smoking as causative.

Using some of the recipes in this thread, and the amount of sweet tea some claim to drink, one can't help but acknowledge the facts that consuming several cups (1 cup being about 1/2 pound) of white refined sugar every week is a healthy thing. Some of these guys put a pound and a half of sugar in a gallon of tea.  

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An insulin shot per day keeps diabetes at bay.  

Sorry but this really isn't true........ I've been drinking sweet tea since I was knee high to a grass hopper, every day, all day, and have 0 issues with my sugar.

In fact, I drink it as soon as my feet hit the floor. And no I don't weigh anywhere near 300lbs either.

So, how old are you? Adult onset of diabetes can happen at any age. I hope you never develop it, but it's a chance...enhanced by consuming large amounts of sugar. Lots of people smoke cigarettes...and they don't all develop lung cancer or heart disease...but the ones that do can usually identify smoking as causative.

Using some of the recipes in this thread, and the amount of sweet tea some claim to drink, one can't help but acknowledge the facts that consuming several cups (1 cup being about 1/2 pound) of white refined sugar every week is a healthy thing. Some of these guys put a pound and a half of sugar in a gallon of tea.  

YMMV

Bull.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
when the spoon will stand upright in the tea, you just add about another cup of sugar, and there you are.
View Quote

LOL

I have a Gallon pitcher.  I put in two cups of sugar and brew the cheapest dollar store orange or black pekoe bags I can find and in a medium sized cooker then dump in on top of the sugar and stir until dissolved then fill the rest with cold water and refrigerate. Add sugar to taste
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I usually drink my Iced tea with no Sugar.

unless it is one of these

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Glass gallon jar
6 tea bags
1.5 cups sugar

Set it out in the sun for 4 hours. Squeeze bags, stir well and pour and sip.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
GAAAAAH!

NEVER SQUEEZE THE BAG!

Crushes the tea leaves and introduces bitterness.

Bring water to boil or almost. Turn off heat. Add 1 family size tea bag for half gallon and let it steep, 15 or 20 minutes minimum put a cup of sugar in the pitcher and pour in hot tea, stir until sugar is dissolved. Check taste, add more sugar as needed.

Take your insulin.

Bonus; use natural, unbleached or turbine sugar for a hint of molasses flavor.

If your tea bag boils, toss it and start over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heat up a few cups of water to almost boiling.  Add a cup of sugar, let dissolve and place a Lipton pitcher sized tea bag into the sugar water for a few minutes.  Squeeze out all the water from the teabag to get all the concentrated tea out, then fill the rest of the pitcher up with water.  You now have sweet tea.

GAAAAAH!

NEVER SQUEEZE THE BAG!

Crushes the tea leaves and introduces bitterness.

Bring water to boil or almost. Turn off heat. Add 1 family size tea bag for half gallon and let it steep, 15 or 20 minutes minimum put a cup of sugar in the pitcher and pour in hot tea, stir until sugar is dissolved. Check taste, add more sugar as needed.

Take your insulin.

Bonus; use natural, unbleached or turbine sugar for a hint of molasses flavor.

If your tea bag boils, toss it and start over.

This. 1C sugar to a 2qt. pitcher. 8 Luzianne tea bags to a pot of boiling water, take the pot off the heat before putting the tea in. Let it steep until it cools some & dump into the pitcher, stir and serve over ice. You can leave the tea bags in the pitcher or take them out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My understanding is that you take regular tea and add about a pound of sugar per glass.
View Quote

LOL, this.

Just watch them make it a restaurant. For a food service Bunn container, they usually add two 64 ounce pitchers full of sugar until it's like a slurry that won't cool below 50 degrees without a continent's worth of ice.

Diabetes in a glass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The really good stuff sits out in the sun for awhile...
View Quote

I'm from the pnw,  we don't have sun here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#14]
No No, to make REAL southern tea you have to understand the science of solution's in water, and to know how much sugar to add to the tea to get the maximum amount of sugar in the water with out having left over Undissolved sugar making it all gritty.

Asking how to make sweet tea is like asking how do you season a cast iron pan.

No one truly knows.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do I make some proper southern sweet tea? I don't know jack about tea, but I know I like really, really sweet. How's it done down yonder? What kind of tea do I use? Am I over thinking this?
View Quote

Easy.  Luzianne or Lipton tea bags.  I use 4 family size tea bag.  Heat a 1 1/2 quart pot of water until it just starts to boil.  Turn off and add tea bags.  Let sit for 3-5 minutes, no more.  Then add 1 cup of sugar to a one gallon container of your choice, pour in tea and stir.  Add cold water to top off and refridgerate until chilled.

If by sweet you mean McDonald's tea sweet, then use 2 cups of sugar per gallon.  Your dentist will love you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing about sun tea - Texas brew times might be different than those of northern latitudes.  One summer in HS, I decided to see just how hot I could get the gallon jar - using some aluminum foil I managed to almost tag 200 at noon.  Honestly though - eventually my mom did not even bother to set it out - she would just leave it on the kitchen counter.  Not as strong, but still drinkable tea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How do I know how much sugar to use?
View Quote

Honest answer? A cup per gallon is about standard.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Y'all hot it all wrong. You get one of these to make it for you.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My understanding is that you take regular tea and add about a pound of sugar per glass.
View Quote

pound of sugar per ounce of water actually
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Trucks,beer and horses
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want the shit they sing about in all the country songs.

Trucks,beer and horses

trailer and wife back as well
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Easy.  Luzianne or Lipton tea bags.  I use 4 family size tea bag.  Heat a 1 1/2 quart pot of water until it just starts to boil.  Turn off and add tea bags.  Let sit for 3-5 minutes, no more.  Then add 1 cup of sugar to a one gallon container of your choice, pour in tea and stir.  Add cold water to top off and refridgerate until chilled.

If by sweet you mean McDonald's tea sweet, then use 2 cups of sugar per gallon.  Your dentist will love you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do I make some proper southern sweet tea? I don't know jack about tea, but I know I like really, really sweet. How's it done down yonder? What kind of tea do I use? Am I over thinking this?

This guy has it right.

I like mine 4-5 minutes. Some folks say you get better results by heating the whole gallon, but I'm too impatient for that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I like sweet tea but not syrup-tea, I use 2 methods depending on time.

Fast:
2 family size teabags (I like Lipton or Nestea) in a quart pyrex measuring cup. microwave for 4min and pour into 1 gallon pitcher. Two more teabags the same way and mix 1-1.5 cups of sugar with the hot tea in pitcher, stir til dissolved. Mix in second batch of tea when finished and add ice and water to fill pitcher. Better if you let the second brew of tea steep for 10-15 minutes. Refridgerate before drinking.

Best:
4 family size teabags in covered gallon glass jug filled 4/5th full. Set in hot direct sunlight for 4-6 hours the add 1-1.5 cups sugar and stir til dissolved. Fill the rest of the jug with ice and let cool before refridgeration.

I also like to add about a tablespoon or two of Real Lemon juice concentrate, makes it taste like the nectar of the gods.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like sweet tea but not syrup-tea, I use 2 methods depending on time.

Fast:
2 family size teabags (I like Lipton or Nestea) in a quart pyrex measuring cup. microwave for 4min and pour into 1 gallon pitcher. Two more teabags the same way and mix 1-1.5 cups of sugar with the hot tea in pitcher, stir til dissolved. Mix in second batch of tea when finished and add ice and water to fill pitcher. Better if you let the second brew of tea steep for 10-15 minutes. Refridgerate before drinking.

Best:
4 family size teabags in covered gallon glass jug filled 4/5th full. Set in hot direct sunlight for 4-6 hours the add 1-1.5 cups sugar and stir til dissolved. Fill the rest of the jug with ice and let cool before refridgeration.

I also like to add about a tablespoon or two of Real Lemon juice concentrate, makes it taste like the nectar of the gods.
View Quote

My mom used to make sun tea all the time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
add the sugar while its still hot

that's pretty much it

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't bring the water to a boil

Gr
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My Grandmother, rest her soul, in Texas used luzianne tea.  And enough sugar to crack your teeth.
View Quote

Luzianne is the way to go. If you cannot find Luzianne use Lipton. Do not use any of the hot tea blends.

Add the sugar while the water is hot (super saturation can only be achieved with a hot liquid). Once the sugar stops being dissolved in the liquid stop adding sugar. Refrigerate to cool down before pouting over ice otherwise you will just have watered down tea when the hot tea instantly melts the ice.  If too sweet use less sugar next time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I usually drink my Iced tea with no Sugar.
unless it is one of these

http://jessicalucra.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/thai-iced-tea.jpg
View Quote

OOhhh! This! Haven't had sugar in my house for over a year, but I do like Thai tea (and the occasional Arnold Palmer).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#28]
arnold palmer half/half FTW

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I make up 2 quarts at a time.  I put a pot of water on the back eye of the stove and set it to HI.  Once it starts a hard boil, I turn off the eye.  I then add 3 of the family size Luzianne tea bags to the pot.  While that is sitting, I put 1 cup of sugar in my pitcher.  After the bags and soaked long enough to get a good color, I dump the still scalding hot tea into the pitcher.  I used to stir, but I bought some nice pitchers from Costco that seal up real tight, so I now shake the pitcher until the sugar has fully dissolved.  If you drink it before it cools, you will need to completely fill the glass with ice cubes since it will melt fast.  

I also like to add lemon in my tea, either via freshly cut lemon wedges or a few drops of RealLemon.  A coworker likes to put a few fresh spearmint leaves in his tea while it is still hot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Lots of sugar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#31]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hSkT77010fE
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you like it really sweet, you probably need ~3 cups per gallon.  That is about the max.  I use 2/3 cup per gallon, but we don't like it super sweet.

Boil water.
Pour over 4 tea bags. (luzianne)
Cover and let sit for an hour.  (longer the stronger)
Put desired sugar in pitcher.
Pour warm tea over sugar.
Stir to dissolve.
Top pitcher off with cold water while constantly stirring.
Serve over ice.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Perfect sweetness to me is just under 1 cup sugar.

3 cups =
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Make tea
Make simple syrup
Combine to your desired sweetness
Refrigerate

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Winner!
I use several mint tea bags when make mine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Dye antifreeze to match color of tea then add a pound of sugar.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An insulin shot per day keeps diabetes at bay.  

Sorry but this really isn't true........ I've been drinking sweet tea since I was knee high to a grass hopper, every day, all day, and have 0 issues with my sugar.

In fact, I drink it as soon as my feet hit the floor. And no I don't weigh anywhere near 300lbs either.

YMMV

Obviously if you have a family history of such a disease then you wouldn't want to consume it in large quantities........This goes without saying and also applies to other sweets as well.

I will tell you this however, my entire family drinks our tea in this fashion, always have, none have had any problems associated with consuming too much sugar.

As a matter of fact I have an 85 year old grandmother who works 40+ hours a week, and still goes out with my cousin who's in his 20's, to the bars once or twice a week.  
She's drank more than one college age boy under the table on many occasion.

Honestly with all the things in this world one has to be concerned about in regards to health issues, the last thing I'm going to worry about is becoming diabetic from drinking tea.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Take a clean gallon glass jar with lid. Fill with good quality water. NOT chlorinated shitty, Oops, I mean CITY water. Add one family size tea bag, put on lid, set out in direct sunlight until it reaches desired strength (based on color).   Removed lid, remove tea bag and discard. Add one cup of sugar and stir to dissolve. Replace lid and place in refrigerator until cold.  That's it!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
'

Well not to burst your bubble but there are real concerns with sun brewed tea.

But then again, maybe it is the added bacteria that give you that 'special flavor'.

" Sun Tea " used to be all the rage, so was eating raw ground beef and raw eggs.

Of course if you first BOIL the water the let it cool to make the sun brewed tea ..... yeah that might be ok.

I use something else though ....... grandpappy's still is now used to make distilled water for the purpose of making sun brewed teas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is real southern tea.  Brewed in the sun.  Add sugar to taste. Serve over ice. Slice of lemon is optional but preferred.

Holy crap, boiled water, tea makers?  WTF!  Bunch of Damned Yankees and transplants around here.
'

Well not to burst your bubble but there are real concerns with sun brewed tea.

But then again, maybe it is the added bacteria that give you that 'special flavor'.

" Sun Tea " used to be all the rage, so was eating raw ground beef and raw eggs.

Of course if you first BOIL the water the let it cool to make the sun brewed tea ..... yeah that might be ok.

I use something else though ....... grandpappy's still is now used to make distilled water for the purpose of making sun brewed teas.

(A)  Stills are illegal. Even you don't use them for making moonshine.  (B) Starting with a clean jar will prevent any problem with bacteria. (C) Sun tea in Florida gets hot enough to kill any bacteria.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Rumor around here is the War of Northern Aggression actually started when some Baked Beaner tried to tell a Southern housewife how to make Sweet Tea.

Get a bunch of Southern mothers together and have each one explain how to make tea. Fat lips and ass whippins will follow.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ice Tea maker, follow directions, add a cup of sugar, stir til all the sugar dissolves.

Pour a nice tall glass and enjoy.

eta: Tetley or Lipton

ByteTheBullet  (-:

LOL, I thought he was talking about his wife.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
great way to get diabetes.....

I know someone who used to drink sweet tea and pepsi....

almost lost a foot 5 years ago....

can barely walk for the past 3.....

3 top front teeth are gone....

good luck with your sweet tea...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
great way to get diabetes.....

I know someone who used to drink sweet tea and pepsi....

almost lost a foot 5 years ago....

can barely walk for the past 3.....

3 top front teeth are gone....

good luck with your sweet tea...
View Quote

No way could that person be genetically predisposed to the 'beetus.

Nope, it was all the sweet tea.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top