BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I disagree.

The government should issue licenses to the press after they have received proper training.

Then they should issue renewable 24 hour free speech passes after they pay their $20.00 administrative fee.  Everyone without a pass must remain in the free speech zone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So anyone with a cell phone streaming live video is now considered part of the media?  

I agree.  The government should license and only allow first amendment rights to officially recognized journalists.

I disagree.

The government should issue licenses to the press after they have received proper training.

Then they should issue renewable 24 hour free speech passes after they pay their $20.00 administrative fee.  Everyone without a pass must remain in the free speech zone.

there should be a 3 day waiting period to get the permit as well.... to give people time to calm down, to help prevent hate speech
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

He doesn't need no facts - this is copblock, I mean GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP:  How do you know the person was a journalist?

Cops a fucking retard no matter who or what the person filming is.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So anyone with a cell phone streaming live video is now considered part of the media?  

I agree.  The government should license and only allow first amendment rights to officially recognized journalists.

I disagree.

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I disagree.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here from DU to lecture us as to the liberal vernacular?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got here, but I see the term "citizen journalist" (as recognized by every journalism department at every college, newspaper, magazine, etc. in America) is lost on some of you rocket scientists.

Nope. Do you have the internet and the ability to use a search engine? Do you know what colleges and newspapers are? Have you ever heard of the term "styebook?" If you answered yes to all of these questions, then maybe you have what it takes to answer your own question.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

All this ad hominem shit makes you look bad.  Just FYI.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do not currently have any friends who are smarter than yourself, allow me to suggest that you visit an elementary school or perhaps a nursing home.

All this ad hominem shit makes you look bad.  Just FYI.  

You're isolating this one thing as the thing that makes him look bad????
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope. Do you have the internet and the ability to use a search engine? Do you know what colleges and newspapers are? Have you ever heard of the term "styebook?" If you answered yes to all of these questions, then maybe you have what it takes to answer your own question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got here, but I see the term "citizen journalist" (as recognized by every journalism department at every college, newspaper, magazine, etc. in America) is lost on some of you rocket scientists.

Explain "styebook", please.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can someone please call Extorris a cop hater now, that would make my entire day.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, fast typing . Stylebook. Seriously though, citizen journalism has been widely accepted in journalism for like, forever. Ben Franklin coined the term and defined it. I suspect everyone accepts that Ben Franklin wasn't a big Democratic Underground user/Lib.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can someone please call Extorris a cop hater now, that would make my entire day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't be the first time. Some verified LEOs here have me on ignore.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Dead  journalists?  Kinda apathetic here
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't make a hill of crap whether they're legitimate "journalists" or not. Why was this gasbag sweeping them and threatening to kill anybody? He can tell them to "back up" or "get back on the sidewalk" or "do the Hokey-Pokey" or whatever....even with colorful language and nobody gives a damn, but that is way beyond what should be acceptable.

What really pisses me off more than anything else is that this gives the idiots fuel to add to their already moronic fire RE: the cops in Fergudishu.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every anonytard with an iPhone thinks they are press now.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
1.  I don't get the officer threatening to kill some random idiot on the street.
2.  I don't get waving the gun around at everyone in the crowd.
3.  I don't understand WTF they would be putting themselves in that shit to begin with, just randomly walking through the crowd like that anyway.  Its an easy way to get nailed by flying debris and not having a clue who it came from.
4.  I don't understand the mentality of the people putting themselves in the middle of it.

In other words, it appeared that if this was a novel, it would be titled "A Tale of Two Assholes".
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wouldn't be the first time. Some verified LEOs here have me on ignore.
View Quote

I would like to say I don't believe that, but I can't.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Alternatively, people who hang out in riots and take pictures with their cell phones should not call themselves journalists. It's a blatant lie and if the person will lie about something that obvious, anything else he says must be considered bullshit until proven otherwise.

Besides, I took pictures in D.C.

I'm a fucking Washington Correspondent!

Ever since The Weekly World News went out of business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alternatively, people who hang out in riots and take pictures with their cell phones should not call themselves journalists. It's a blatant lie and if the person will lie about something that obvious, anything else he says must be considered bullshit until proven otherwise.

Quoted:
Bloggers and other internet contributors are the new media.

Someone point out the definition of press in the Constitution. Because I do not remember seeing any.

People would do well to remember those who were "journalists" or "reporters" at the time of the Constitution had no J-School training, most had no Diploma, and more than a few learned to read and write at home and were largely self taught. They were frequently associated with whatever political faction the press or newspaper owner was involved in and many were largely fronting for some relatively well off guy who wanted to push an agenda.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:32:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
1.  I don't get the officer threatening to kill some random idiot on the street.
2.  I don't get waving the gun around at everyone in the crowd.
3.  I don't understand WTF they would be putting themselves in that shit to begin with, just randomly walking through the crowd like that anyway.  Its an easy way to get nailed by flying debris and not having a clue who it came from.
4.  I don't understand the mentality of the people putting themselves in the middle of it.

In other words, it appeared that if this was a novel, it would be titled "A Tale of Two Assholes".
View Quote

What did the person recording do to make them an asshole?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmmm. Man with a rifle pointed at me and threatening to kill me would make me fear for my life.

There's an appropriate response in that scenario.
View Quote

If you are unarmed? Run like your underwear is on fire.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what is irritating about it. Any random trouble maker with a cell phone can now cause problems and get kicked out of somewhere and then cry that "X" business is supressing free speech and journalism and had his rights violated when in reality they were intentionally trolling for a reaction from a cop/politican/ccw'er/whoever. One big "gotcha" game. I don't know why anyone would would to be a public figure.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, yes.  And thank God.  Otherwise, we would still be fucked with just the big3 and the NYTIMES.

Fuck that.  Independent media is about the only way truth gets out these days.

They may have their own message, but at least it's not one approved by those assholes in DC.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Someone needs to cut back on the coffee intake.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Someone point out the definition of press in the Constitution. Because I do not remember seeing any.

People would do well to remember those who were "journalists" or "reporters" at the time of the Constitution had no J-School training, most had no Diploma, and more than a few learned to read and write at home and were largely self taught. They were frequently associated with whatever political faction the press or newspaper owner was involved in and many were largely fronting for some relatively well off guy who wanted to push an agenda.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly. It wasn't defined ON PURPOSE so that it applied equally to everybody.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:37:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
1.  I don't get the officer threatening to kill some random idiot on the street. He's obviously never worked real crowd control before - scared, stressed
2.  I don't get waving the gun around at everyone in the crowd. Who the fuck is in charge there? These coppers have no idea how to set up containment lines - less lethal out front, lethal behind
3.  I don't understand WTF they would be putting themselves in that shit to begin with, just randomly walking through the crowd like that anyway.  Its an easy way to get nailed by flying debris and not having a clue who it came from. As above: who the fuck is in charge?
4.  I don't understand the mentality of the people putting themselves in the middle of it. Neither can any LEOs from decent-sized departments that deal with crowd control routinely

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The latest news from Ferguson.

Report: Only 3 of 78 Arrested Protesters Were Ferguson Residents

"Fox News correspondent Steve Harrigan reported that only three of the 78 protesters arrested last night during last night’s clash between the police and protesters in Ferguson were actually from the city on Tuesday’s “The O’Reilly Factor.”

He stated that there were, “78 arrests, just three of them here from the town of Ferguson.” Harrigan added that there were “a lot from Missouri, but some came from as far away as California and New York.”  And that there are “some concerns from police that rioters are using the demonstrations as a cover, a cover to launch some attacks against police."  " -snip-

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/08/19/Report-Only-3-of-78-Arrested-Protesters-were-Ferguson-Residents

View Quote

I am shocked there were that many Ferguson residents who were not either in jail or at home wishing the people in the streets were in jail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I would have ran up next to that fat fuck and ...

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Well...that was sad.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.  I don't get the officer threatening to kill some random idiot on the street. He's obviously never worked real crowd control before - scared, stressed
2.  I don't get waving the gun around at everyone in the crowd. Who the fuck is in charge there? These coppers have no idea how to set up containment lines - less lethal out front, lethal behind
3.  I don't understand WTF they would be putting themselves in that shit to begin with, just randomly walking through the crowd like that anyway.  Its an easy way to get nailed by flying debris and not having a clue who it came from. As above: who the fuck is in charge?
4.  I don't understand the mentality of the people putting themselves in the middle of it. Neither can any LEOs from decent-sized departments that deal with crowd control routinely

Parts in red are exactly what I've been thinking for the last week. Doesn't look like they've ever done disorder control training. That's one of the few things my department actually did train me in.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Parts in red are exactly what I've been thinking for the last week. Doesn't look like they've ever done disorder control training. That's one of the few things my department actually did train me in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amateur hour for sure
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for the LEOs, and ultimately the peaceful protestors, in this regard.  When the biggest issue they ever deal with is a disorderly line for a sale at the Piggly Wiggly, and all of a sudden they have to deal with Los Angeles-level urban youth acting in concert on the streets, it's bound to go bad. Then they put a black captain of the highway patrol in charge of a police action, when in fact he has zero experience in that regard.  Have him set up a DUI checkpoint or other traffic-related stuff, but don't pick him for his color and "ties to the neighborhood."  He's a disgrace as a leader.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's like he's never worked a crowd before.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Gifs/afraid_zps414378c2.gif
View Quote

He probably hasn't.

Fuck him....he needs to find a new line of work.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sorry, fast typing . Stylebook. Seriously though, citizen journalism has been widely accepted in journalism for like, forever. Ben Franklin coined the term and defined it. I suspect everyone accepts that Ben Franklin wasn't a big Democratic Underground user/Lib.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, "stylebook"!

That thing that says always proof for spelling errors.  

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have him set up a DUI checkpoint or other traffic-related stuff, but don't pick him for his color and "ties to the neighborhood."  He's a disgrace as a leader.
View Quote

That Captain is pretty good at waving a gun around at unarmed people too from what I've seen on YouTube.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Surprise, I'm not a cop.

I just can't stand the usual gang of ignorant dumb fucks who post in threads like these because they think they're cool to say things like JBT.

I already wrote it once, but maybe this time whoever read my other posts to you will see it.

At the beginning of the video, someone in the crowd yelled not to throw things. It suggests that there was crowd violence. It doesn't prove it, and maybe the cop is just a jackass, but if you can find someone with a three digit IQ in your circle of acquaintances, perhaps they can explain the whole thing about wanting to see all of the facts, not just the ones that argue in your favor.

If you do not currently have any friends who are smarter than yourself, allow me to suggest that you visit an elementary school or perhaps a nursing home.
View Quote

A, so not a cop just a groupie. That's even more pathetic. Also, pro-tip, if the best you can do is make lame ad homs about my purported intelligence you might want to re-evaluate your argument.

Let's say you're right, and someone in a large crowd had, at some point in the interval before the video started rolling, thrown a rock or bottle or whatever at the cop.

Would that justify pointing a rifle indiscriminately at the crowd (he flagged probably a couple dozen people with that wild flailing) and screaming "I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!" to the crowd? Would that pre-existing circumstance (someone in the crowd throwing things) justify his actions?

If yes, why? In no, why do you keep bringing it up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That Captain is pretty good at waving a gun around at unarmed people too from what I've seen on YouTube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have him set up a DUI checkpoint or other traffic-related stuff, but don't pick him for his color and "ties to the neighborhood."  He's a disgrace as a leader.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Korean police style of organized riot control.  Hut hut hut down to an art form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uREJILOby-c

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP labeled some random guy as "media" in an obvious attempt to puff up his cred.

I have no problem with the content of the video, but I won't let someone piss in the air and tell me it's raining.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck whether it's a journalist or not? When people try to distract from the real topic with trivialities, it smells of an agenda.

The "protesters" are fucking stupid. However, Officer Douchey Killemall should be removed from the force immediately.

Am I in before someone defends his actions?

[ETA] I can't wait to see how the transition is made from "not a journalist" to "officer acted appropriately", because I'm sure that's in the works.
OP labeled some random guy as "media" in an obvious attempt to puff up his cred.

I have no problem with the content of the video, but I won't let someone piss in the air and tell me it's raining.    

And who's the troll here?

TXL
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the cop's behaviour appropriate if the guy with the camera doesn't meet your personal definition of a "real" journalist? can you point out to me where in the 1st Amendment it defines what a "real" journalist is?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#43]
To act like that when you know Holder and crew are watching .. well bye

Dude fucked up BIG time
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't stop at unprofessional.  Pretty illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty unprofessional.

[Seinfeld] You mean pointing your loaded rifle at someone and telling them you will kill them is wrong? [Seinfeld]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty unprofessional.

[Seinfeld] You mean pointing your loaded rifle at someone and telling them you will kill them is wrong? [Seinfeld]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a conditional threat, just a threat to kill someone.  I'm sure it will be defended.

Not by me, the guy's a fucking tool.

Yep. Don't want to work next to that powder keg.  Fuck him.

Apparently not, and that's not even that bad there.  I work football games in the 80k mark regularly where the ratio of cops to attendees is like 1:1000 ish.   He's in the "oh shit panic mindset" and from what I see there's no a reason to be to that level.  And to tell people that?  Wtf.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ah yes, bloggers... those guys who editorialize and write hit pieces, without worrying about pesky things like accountability or facts.  
View Quote

Like the "professional" media is any different....
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty unprofessional.

Is that frowned upon?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#50]
The PD there in Ferguson is making the LAPD look pretty darn professional.  

I know tempers are short, but do you REALLY want to be the subject of a viral video like that, officer?

Good lord, just watched the end of the video.. media flocked to him like flies on shit... like cockroaches on a crackhouse.  

BAD COP, NO DONUT!

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top