Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 5:31:13 PM EDT
Loved playing baseball. Some of the best times in my life. Always enjoyed the LLWS, little 11 and  12 year olds with true baseball skills. Just heard an announcer say how great it is that's there is an all black team from Chicago. Fuck it. They're now politicizing a kids game. Loss of innocence, we really are doomed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Who cares what color they are as long as they earned their way there
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the all black team is getting extra attention as people try to offer a counterpoint to the mess in MO. I doubt it would get near as much press on other years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya know in the name of diversity it should be equally divided by race and gender identification.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#4]
There's been criticism of MLB for a while now because American blacks don't play the game.

They actively spend money bringing baseball to our inner cities.

I agree, it's bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Watch out for those guys, they'll probably try stealing the bases.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I could give a rats ass what color you are just play ball.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas is just butthurt we beat them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
that's......
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it an all black team because they only recruited black players for the team and are making a big deal out of it, or is it an all black team because its from an area where everybody is black and it just turned out that way?

If the former, yeah thats kind of lame. If the latter, then who cares.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because we're still in a Texas and you're still in Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Who cares what color they are as long as they earned their way there
View Quote

Well, that's probably the case. There is no affirmative action in sports for a good reason......
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
It is all over the place in sports. On one of the ESPN shows, Numbers Never Lie, Michael Smith and whoever the woman is talked about Ferguson for a few minutes today. The bias they had towards him was unbelievable. Both of them are black. I just turned the tv off after a minute of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

heehehe

jokes on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm surprised no one complained about the female pitcher.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
JACKPOT!!!

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the all black team is getting extra attention as people try to offer a counterpoint to the mess in MO. I doubt it would get near as much press on other years.
View Quote

I think the first time I heard about this "all black team" was before Brown.

Edit: Nope now I remember it was an ESPN channel doing all the fawning and
it was most certainly after the shooting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh,,,the 25 year olds from Taiwan will win.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice honey.  Don't mess with Texas,  or we'll whine and cry on arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't have to steal, the gov"t gives it to them
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is it an all black team because they only recruited black players for the team and are making a big deal out of it, or is it an all black team because its from an area where everybody is black and it just turned out that way?

View Quote

Don't be bringing your logic and reason around here!

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope her team wins it all. She can pitch.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#24]
probably just surprised they could get that many black kids to play baseball.  Number of blacks in the majors is way down.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

G.I. Jane?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
They're just shocked that there are still black people in Chicago that haven't headed to MO to riot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
or is it an all black team because its from an area where everybody is black and it just turned out that way?

View Quote

That's precisely what it is.  JRW is from Morgan Park, an area of the city that's turned black in the past decade or two.  I grew up not far from Morgan Park.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leave him alone guys. He said "we", so he is either 11 or 12.
Its not nice to pick on young kids.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Who should care if it's an all black team, they did when they made a big deal about it, as far as the female pitcher goes good for her.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Base ball is stupid game anyway.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Little Leaugue teams have to be made up of kids from one zip code. This is done so that you can't stack a team with kids from all over the state.

Although ESPN does a great job with the production value of the LLWS the games are pretty bad. These are 11-13 year kids playing on 60 ft bases, a 46 foot pitching distance and no base stealing. This is ludicrous for kids of this age. In my son's leauge (he's 12) they play 70 foot bases, pitch from 50 ft and have open bases. Any kid can pitch when they don't have to worry about base runners. LL is just not good baseball, my kids team would beat the crap out of ANY of the  teams in the LLWS.

All that being said, it's fun to watch and I've seen pretty much every game.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Who should care if it's an all black team, they did when they made a big deal about it, as far as the female pitcher goes good for her.
View Quote
The female pitcher, Mo'ne Davis in nowhere near the best pitcher at the LLWS, she's not even the best pitcher on her team. She is getting pretty much all of the publicity because she's pretty good...for a girl. If she was a male she would barely be mentioned. I bet the boys on her team hate that she is getting all the hype.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Meh,,,the 25 year olds from Taiwan will win.
View Quote
Did you notice all those kids from Taiwan are Asian?  Nobody is making a big deal about that.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Little Leaugue teams have to be made up of kids from one zip code. This is done so that you can't stack a team with kids from all over the state.    

View Quote

In that case, then the zip code JRW is based in is a predominately black zip code.  Not being racist.  I grew up not far from there, I've been to schools in that area for spelling bees and Young Author's awards recognitions.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a great game. The boys and parents work damn hard to get there. I think it is a salute to days gone by. I'm good with it.
Go little dudes!!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They're just shocked that there are still black people in Chicago that haven't headed to MO to riot.
View Quote

Really? You'd shit in a little league thread?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's a great game. The boys and parents work damn hard to get there. I think it is a salute to days gone by. I'm good with it.
Go little dudes!!!!
View Quote

You're good with them praising the fact that there is a team with all black kids?

What do you think the reaction would be if the announcer stated that he was happy that there was a team with all white kids?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're good with them praising the fact that there is a team with all black kids?

What do you think the reaction would be if the announcer stated that he was happy that there was a team with all white kids?
View Quote

You're making too much out of this.

They'd NEVER say there's a team of all white kids.  Ever.  
I'm willing to bet they don't see too many all-black teams often, so yeah, it's kind of a big deal.  
And it's a big deal to make it to the LLWS anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You win the Internet today sir.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#40]
We New Zealand now

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#41]
In 88 we won state and went to san bernadino cali for western regionals... Our first game was against SO.Cal.... They were all big all black and kicked the living Shit out of us.... Dropped the 2nd game to newmexico the next day (all brown all little all hairy and all very fucking fast) then spent the next 10days hitting the beach and other cool places we never got to see here. Moral of the story ... Fuk it I couldn't tell ya
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet they don't see too many all-black teams often, so yeah, it's kind of a big deal.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know they wouldn't praise an all white team, so why praise an all black team? What does race have anything to do with little league baseball?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What does race have anything to do with little league baseball?
View Quote

Because you don't see too many all-black teams and they're doing very well.  That's why they're making a big deal out of it.

Plus to mention it's one of those "started from the bottom" kinds of stories.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I know they wouldn't praise an all white team, so why praise an all black team? What does race have anything to do with little league baseball?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because its an anomaly, something worth mentioning. And to be fair, the team is probably from an economically depressed area if they're from the hoods around Chicago and its a big deal for these kids, regardless of race. Good for them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#47]
A friend of mines sons just won the Senior League World Series. They played an all black team. It was never mentioned. There are always all black teams in international play.  It was a racist political remark from the announcer that had nothing to do with the tournament.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

the team is probably from an economically depressed area if they're from the hoods around Chicago and its a big deal for these kids, regardless of race. Good for them.
View Quote

Again, it's precisely what it is.

The area that JRW is in is basically split up into two areas.

There's a very small "Good" area, filled with really old, expensive houses, and there's a HUGE "not so good" area,

It's not "you will die if you go through here", it's "you're going to see a LOT of blight. And yes, the Metra tracks are literally the dividing line.  

So yes, coming from an economically blighted area to the biggest stage in Little League is kind of a big deal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There's been criticism of MLB for a while now because American blacks don't play the game.

They actively spend money bringing baseball to our inner cities.

I agree, it's bullshit.
View Quote

This. There are very few black players in the majors nowadays and they are trying very hard to get more black kids involved. It has been a major topic for MLB for the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top