Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2014 4:34:25 PM EDT
In the Movie Aliens why did they send so few Marines?

They knew that there were 70 Families at the colony and should have expected as many as 300 creatures like the single one that killed Ripley's entire crew.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Because they fart a lot.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
because marines are bad-ass. one marine is worth 20 of any other branch.

Roy
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#3]
They didn't know why the colony went dark, only that it did, it was a scouting mission.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Save fuel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Cuz you only need one Vasquez

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
"The few" the proud, the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
because marines are bad-ass. one marine is worth 20 of any other branch.

View Quote

Yeah.  That should be enough to get it started.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I started a quote thread on this movie like 2 days ago and only 1 maybe 2 people even got it.  We are getting too old fellas.  The kids don't know anything these days.  GD is slacking off
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They didn't know why the colony went dark, only that it did, it was a scouting mission.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#11]
They had nukes. Just to be sure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Because Marines are like Special Teams of football.  Sure they play in the game but very rarely do they win it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Because the corporation didn't want to spend the money to send more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
This is readily explained by Hudson early in the movie...

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#16]
space travel isn't cheap?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Apparently not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

She lived through the grenade blast.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sequestration.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Because it was just a "bug hunt".
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State of the badass art! You do NOT wanna fuck with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
View Quote

Didn't catch that scene....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Everyone (except Burke) thought it was probably just a problem with the colony's transmitter or something equally mundane.  If a security system in someone's house trips,do you send SWAT? No, you send one car because 90% of the time it's nothing and 9.99% of the time that one car is sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I hated what they got wrong when the LT and burk went to visit Ripley to get her to go back, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Seems to me they did end up sending enough.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Because it was just a "bug hunt".
View Quote

Damn you guys are slow...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's doesn't seem smart to send only 1 squad to a far off planet when you don't know what's going on. Two squads at least would have left a reserve component in the ship in case the main squad ran into trouble and needed bailing out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
20 marines for a colony of 158
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Because they didn't want them confused if they had to do a count off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
One riot, one Ranger.

One infested planet, one platoon of marines.  

It scales.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what!?  thats on the drop ship ride to the planet.  Paxton baby.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was pulled off the cutting-room floor and put into the director's cut.  Personally, I didn't care for it.  It seemed a bit off.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#31]

She didn't age too well

That the FBI guy from Rush Hour?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#32]
President Obama III Jr. had made a campaign promise to reduce our military presence in that area.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

They knew that there were 70 Families at the colony and should have expected as many as 300 creatures like the single one that killed Ripley's entire crew.

View Quote

I'm thinking technology and future weapons will make it so smaller teams will be just as capable as battalion or brigade size units in the future.

So a smaller team that is very advanced and with lots of weaponry will be able to do things that used to take much larger units.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

She didn't age too well

View All Quotes
Quoted:

She didn't age too well

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#35]
More importantly, no crew manning the ship while the squad is planet-side.  Oh well, free warship for the first pirate/salvage crew to stumble across it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No one does.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No one does.  

call me sick, call me stupid, call me whatever this is the truth.

Lea Thompson, Vivica A Fox, Susan Sarandon.  Would smash until there was only a nub left.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No one does.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No one does.  

Google recent pics of Christie Brinkley, she aged well.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's doesn't seem smart to send only 1 squad to a far off planet when you don't know what's going on. Two squads at least would have left a reserve component in the ship in case the main squad ran into trouble and needed bailing out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then you would lose 2 squads, which would be twice as expensive as just losing one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's what was on hand.

Remember they have to house those Marines in hibernation just to get to the planet.

Besides the mission was to check out the planet.  They did not have a full handle on what went down since their comms with the planet ceased.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
More importantly, no crew manning the ship while the squad is planet-side.  Oh well, free warship for the first pirate/salvage crew to stumble across it.
View Quote

What's that quote from hitchhiker a guide to the galaxy,

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
? Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
And fucking empty. Really empty.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#43]
It does seem nuts given the size of the ship and the amount of equipment in total.  But hey it's just a movie...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#44]
My interpretation has always been that W-Y funded the mission in some way. And if they wanted to bring back embryos with the possibility of getting caught, it's a lot easier to silence 20 Marines than a ship full.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#45]
I would have brought out the sentry guns to guard the drop ship while the mission was going on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Wasn't it the goal of the corporation that sent them there for them to fail so they could get an alien specimen back so they could weaponize them.

"Ripley discovers that it was Burke who ordered the colonists to investigate the derelict spaceship where the Nostromo crew first encountered the Alien eggs, and that he hopes to return Alien specimens to the company laboratories where he can profit from their use as biological weapons"
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#47]
The Marines were sandbagged by Weyland-Yutani. Theirs was a sample return mission, they just did not know it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Based on available intelligence, a squad did seem to be overkill. Usually such minor problems are solved by no more than a Fire Team. I blame Gorman's incompetence.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Budget cuts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Meh.  Still looks better than me.  Would hit if single.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top