Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/19/2014 7:02:16 PM EDT
I managed to nab this guy with tooling for under $2500.  The stepper motors and some of the other parts have been pulled off to make it easier to move.

It is a Dyna Myte 2400...was designed in the 80s as a CNC mill from the ground up...in fact it is a little overkill with the tolerances for such a machine (repeatability to .0005)

The guy I got it from says his father paid big bucks for it in the late 80s.

In 2010ish or so his father had it updated and serviced about 6 months before he died.  The electronics now use a modern Mach 3 system (I got the computer and new touch screen with the mill, not pictured).

No the messy house pics are not my place...the guy had it in his living room.

UPDATE:
Update on 8/24/2014 page 1 (scroll down below)
Update on 8/31/2014 page 2
Update on 9/8/2014 page 2
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome OP!

Can I send you a "paperweight" and have some metal removed?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you going to make for me first?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
So whats the plan?  Just screwing around the house or are you really going to throw some serious chips?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
So whats the plan? Just screwing around the house or are you really going to throw some serious chips?
View Quote

Aluminum robot parts, model parts, guns parts, ect...

I have a lot of stuff I want to make with it....primarily hobby stuff.

I have access to Solidworks at work can convert models to a format that can be used in Mach 3.

I may even use this thing to make parts for a 3d printer in the future.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
80% lower party?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Freaking Jealous.

I /need/ a CNC at home. I really want to scratch build a medium capacity personal UAS.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Make custom knives, get rich.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I am very jealous.

You better machine your own 1911, and soon
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Lucky man.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#12]
It's too yellow.  I'll send the truck over to remove it for you before it hurts your eyes.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty neat OP. Not so,etching I could use, but in the right hands I'm sure it could be useful.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thought DeWalt only built portable tools.

Nice unit. Even more awesome, it's in the guys house. My first 2 mc's were built in the living room of rentals. Didn't loose the damage deposit.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate you now......
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
What kind of spindle? What are the travels? Steppers/servos? Ball screws or ACME?

-Jim
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Funny that you know GD well enough to put in the disclaimer about the messy house.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
you stole that.

That is an awesome deal, that is going to be fun to use once you learn how to use it.

ETa. sounds like you already know how to use it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#20]
What kind of spindle? What are the travels? Steppers/servos? Ball screws or ACME?
View Quote

I believe  the motion control motors are a mix of steppers and servos because of the conversion, but I could be wrong.  I have a huge box of parts I have to dig through and clean up.  It uses a leadscrew, but from what I have been told on these machines they have a pretty good anti backlash setup.

I am gonna try and build a table for it this weekend with castors so it can be moved around.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn man, you stole that!! Do want.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered some heavy duty castors.  I am gonna build a small rolling work bench for this thing.  That way I can push it around rather then have it sit in one place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
If it is repeatable to .0005, I'd say it's probably good ball screw.  Or at least precision acme with some kind of spring-loaded nut for AB.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#24]
NICE...

I wish I could have a nice CNC set up in my home shop

Mill
Lathe
Wire EDM
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it is repeatable to .0005, I'd say it's probably good ball screw.  Or at least precision acme with some kind of spring-loaded nut for AB.
View Quote
If it's actually repeatable to .0005 I'd be impressed.  I would think it would have to be a ball screw.  

It always amazes me when I see these threads, people are always so excited....and that's cool. I have a shop full of CNC equipment and all the software and knowledge to make them deal cards,  and it all just looks like work to me.  

I am making the wrong widgets, I'm making them by the 10k's or one progressive die at a time, or one custom machine, but it's not fun stuff.   I wonder if Bill Wilson ever gets tired of cranking out 1911's?

Good find OP, go make fun shit!

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it's actually repeatable to .0005 I'd be impressed.  I would think it would have to be a ball screw.  

It always amazes me when I see these threads, people are always so excited....and that's cool. I have a shop full of CNC equipment and all the software and knowledge to make them deal cards,  and it all just looks like work to me.  

I am making the wrong widgets, I'm making them by the 10k's or one progressive die at a time, or one custom machine, but it's not fun stuff.   I wonder if Bill Wilson ever gets tired of cranking out 1911's?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Question for you:

I had an idea after watching a tubalcain video about adding some custom power feed to an Atlas lathe.  He's got a craftsman commercial just like mine and the speed range leaves a little to be desired at the low end.

For his, he coupled a pulley to the tailstock end of the carriage leadscrew and runs it with the back gears disengaged.  But he's just doing it for non-specific slower speed so he can get finer, slower cuts than the lowest that the gear box will do.

I had occasion to need a tap with 19 threads per inch (it was for an old 1950s International tractor).   But the back gears on my lathe will only do 18 or 20.   But what if I did like tubalcain, only instead of powering the leadscrew with a normal AC electric motor, I powered it with a powerful stepper motor?   That way, I could turn the leadscrew at virtually any rate I wanted, just like a CNC lathe?   Would something like that work?  Would I use the threading dial just as I would for any other odd-numbered thread pitch?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Neat!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just ordered some heavy duty castors.  I am gonna build a small rolling work bench for this thing.  That way I can push it around rather then have it sit in one place.
View Quote

Load it into an old Econoline van, and take it to shoots and gun shows!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:20:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd make a damn killing...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making money is practically illegal in the USA, tho.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He could make pre-filed-down firing pins...a WIN WIN!

BTW, nice looking mill OP.  If you ever decide to set it up in your living room and want to start fly-cutting aluminum though...?

Get some snow shoes

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Update:  Did some work on the CNC

I built a table using 2x4s, 4x4s, OSB plywood, and 4 heavy duty castors.  Still need to add the bottom platform though.

Went through one of the boxes that came with it.  Found extra stuff that at first I had no idea what it went to and could not find a place to mount it.

Did some research and discovered that 1 of the extra motors, which was a satellite motor, is the 4th axis.  AWESOME!  Had no idea it had a 4th Axis installed!

The other motors and leadscrew I could find no place for.  Well I started up the computer that controls it and found a profile for a Clausing 13 x 42.  It then clicked.  

The guy's father had converted his Clausing 13x42 lathe to CNC and these extra parts were for that conversion.  The guys son, whom I bought the CNC mill from, had what looked like an old lathe in the backyard just rotting away.  I am betting that it was the Clausing 13x42.  Now I am debating about email the dude and offering him some cash for it even though I don't have room.  The guys son was what you would call a member of the FSA to 9th degree!  I may try to save it to.

Well I got the motors bolted back on, still need to work on the wiring which is a rat nest.  I am going to redo some portions of it with proper connectors and such and label every thing.

Will keep you guys updated.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Still freaking jealous...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Just ordered new cat 5 connectors and plugs to rewire this thing.  Hopefully I will get them in a few days so I can get this thing running again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Sooo...want to make me a gas block?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:...snip..
the guy had it in his living room.
...snip...
View Quote

That is a man who has his priorities straight!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
...snip...

And no wife.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#38]
niiiiice
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#39]
That thing looks so cute after the mills I've played with. Sorry, OP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Time to fill out some Eform 1s and build yourself a suppressor... or eight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And no wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

And no wife.

Not at all. It's not so much The Wife, But marrying / living with, The Right Wife.  

My spouse had no issues with the 2 HD i built in 2nd story apt's. She also assisted in assembly and worked the brakes as we rolled them down the steps. Engine was not installed till we were on ground floor. .

OP, get that unit fired up

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm so jealous
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#43]
How about pictures of the MB beside it.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Like really, fix that shit up in a van, take it to Gun shows.

Sell 80% lowers.

And then sell Time on the Mill.

profit.

Buy MG's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#48]
nice, congrats
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top