Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
My 2WD with locker goes most places a 4wd can go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because they can't afford 4wd so they try to justify their 2wd's meaningless existence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why is there always some 'tard who insists that 2WD>4WD?

Because they can't afford 4wd so they try to justify their 2wd's meaningless existence.
This goes for the C&R, sks, cheap ak, and cheap ar crowd. Its always the same no matter what you are talking about, someone tries to  justify what they can afford or are to cheap to get anything better.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The fallacy of that statement is that many 4x4s have locking diffs as well and are better than the 2x4 with locking diff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC, "Great Living in Grubby Times" states that a 2WD pickup with a locking diff is equal to, or better than 4WD.

I'll stick with what I know to work, TYVM.  It's sort of like the "one is none, two is one" thing.  Just multiply by 2.

The fallacy of that statement is that many 4x4s have locking diffs as well and are better than the 2x4 with locking diff.

I've had numerous vehicles with selectable locking rear diff's and 4wd.  I've experimented a ton; 4wd with open diff's is virtually always better than 2wd with a locked rear.

My current truck has a rear locker and front Torsen LSD.  It's a beast in the snow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Most people don't really understand what an astonishing difference dedicated snow tires actually make.  In the snow I'd rather have a two wheel drive on snow tires than a 4wd on shit tires any day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here come subnet with stories of summiting Everest in his Miata with snow tires.

Most people don't really understand what an astonishing difference dedicated snow tires actually make.  In the snow I'd rather have a two wheel drive on snow tires than a 4wd on shit tires any day.

This is absolutely correct.

In snow and ice -- and worse, dirty sheet ice hiding under snow -- the tire profile and tread type on a vehicle far outweighs its drive type (e.g. AWD, 4WD, FWD, RWD) in determining that vehicle's road worthiness in inclement weather conditions.

I've lost count of how many honcho'ed out 4x4 trucks I've seen skidded off into the ditch because they had wide knobby M/T tires trying to drive on ice in our Northern NV Sierra range.   Ultimately, what they should have mounted were heavily siped A/T hybrids with a tall sidewall and narrower ground patch (aka 'pizza cutters') to put more vehicle weight downforce on a narrower patch to put more friction on ice.   Nothing sticks to snow like more snow, so you actually want a siped tire tread design that clogs up with snow though nothing beats a genuine studded-option snow tire like a Nokian Hakkapelitta.   Good 4x4 off-road all season tires with an aggressive design are Goodyear DuraTracs (available in pizza cutter dimensions) or the Goodyear Kevlar Wrangler MT/Rs.  These both do really well in snow without being dedicated snow tires.

There is nothing more embarrassing than seeing some bummed out Californian flat bill brochachos coming up for a weekend of snowboarding standing next to their Gernade-emblazoned lifted bro truck that's flipped on its side up in Tahoe during a winter storm with the truck showing it's thoroughly unsuitable mud terrain M/T knobby tires on 20" rims.   Soon as the temps dip below freezing the moment the sun goes down, the ice materializes and the hijinks begin.   These guys start sliding all over and crashing into shit like a fat girl wearing wobbly high-heeled pumps on the ice at a skating rink.   All we have here are uphill grades, shaded corners full of black ice, switchback turns, and yawning chasms to fall into if they're not lucky enough to crash into a fully loaded family minivan first.

That said I have a manual trans 4x4 Toyota FJ with the rear locker, Torsens, VSC, and ATRAC running on snowflake logo'ed A/T 265s.   Got-dayum mountain goat in any weather.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#5]

This is the argument I always get
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This goes for the C&R, sks, cheap ak, and cheap ar crowd. Its always the same no matter what you are talking about, someone tries to  justify what they can afford or are to cheap to get anything better.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 6x6 has two more driving wheels than your 4x4 and cost 1/8th as much.

Shmokeandapancake.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IIRC, "Great Living in Grubby Times" states that a 2WD pickup with a locking diff is equal to, or better than 4WD.

I'll stick with what I know to work, TYVM.  It's sort of like the "one is none, two is one" thing.  Just multiply by 2.
View Quote

Based on the principle that a 4x4 without locking diffs is really a 1 wheel drive on say ice, all the power goes to  the wheel with the least amount of traction. A true locking diff, which I'm not sure you can get in a factory truck anymore, is a two wheel drive. A 4x4 with a selectable transfer case acts like a locker and splits the power 50/50 which will give you two wheel drive when locked in. Even the best factory rig only came with 3 wheel drive (other than the early early rigs which were not streetable), locking transfer case, true posi rear end. Come to think of it, don't remember a 'locking diff' from factory, only posi and newer limited slip.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
2wd isn't superior to 4wd, and 4wd isn't necessarily superior to 2wd.

It all depends on what you need, where you live, and what kind of driving you do.

If you live in FL and you never leave the pavement....2wd IS better:  less components to maintain, cheaper to buy, better mileage.

If you live in an area where snow is an issue, a 2wd truck (especially) is a PITA....

So again, it depends.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It all depends on what you need, where you live, and what kind of driving you do.

If you live in FL and you never leave the pavement....2wd IS better:  less components to maintain, cheaper to buy, better mileage.

If you live in an area where snow is an issue, a 2wd truck (especially) is a PITA....

So again, it depends.
View Quote

You may have logic on your side...

But can you bro-logic, bro?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I read that as if you lived in New Hampshire or Wisconsin.

I should have know it would be Texas and 2" of snow....

View Quote

There wasn't any snow. Only ice, about 6 inches worth.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So again, it depends.
View Quote

FFS...

Are you stoned???

The weight bias, and 4 wheels with the Torques is deadly, baby children and kittens will DIE, because you think 4wd is somehow better.
All those 4wd trucks on the highway in winter is a Govt. conspiracy like the moon landings.
2WD is superior and saves lives!!

Do you work for the Oil industry?
Why do you apply logic and reality, do you hate Derp?

Some people....damn!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southern Ice is always 6-87" thick.
It's also made by Castrol under shadow govt. contract...true story.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Own both. You just CANNOT STOP IN THE SHIT with a 2wd.
View Quote

This may come as a surprise, but 4WD has nothing to do with stopping. But I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that in HI.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#17]
about to put an ARB locker in mah jeep
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This may come as a surprise, but 4WD has nothing to do with stopping. But I wouldn't expect you to know anything about that in HI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He probably meant that you can't stop "in the shit" because you'll never get it moving again. You know, just like "never stop going uphill", you never want to stop in the slop with a 2WD. Momentum.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Based on the principle that a 4x4 without locking diffs is really a 1 wheel drive on say ice, all the power goes to  the wheel with the least amount of traction. A true locking diff, which I'm not sure you can get in a factory truck anymore, is a two wheel drive. A 4x4 with a selectable transfer case acts like a locker and splits the power 50/50 which will give you two wheel drive when locked in. Even the best factory rig only came with 3 wheel drive (other than the early early rigs which were not streetable), locking transfer case, true posi rear end. Come to think of it, don't remember a 'locking diff' from factory, only posi and newer limited slip.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know where you got that, but it's absolutely false. You can get locking rear diffs from Chevy and Ford (don't know about Dodge). My last 3 Chevy's all came with it; newest one is a 2013.

But even without a locker, in 4x4 it's powering one wheel in front and one in back, so I don't know where you got this "one wheel drive" shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:24:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah....2wd is better my ass

Last year, we got a good 8 inches in about 2 hours. Coming home in it, went through killbuck valley and there were at least 7 vehicles stuck on the hill. I stopped and asked the one chevy driver(2wd) if he had a tow strap.....he didn't....so I proceeded to throw snowman sized chunks of snow at all of them as I went on my way

I don't care what 2wd you have, what tires you have, whatever........     Double the traction is far better...not even a comparison. The only reason anyone says they don't want it is they cant afford it.

BTW...NITTO Trail Grapplers are flat awesome in deep snow!!! Throwing snowmen with my 35's on all the little cars is priceless, albeit fairly dickish
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:58:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't know where you got that, but it's absolutely false. You can get locking rear diffs from Chevy and Ford (don't know about Dodge). My last 3 Chevy's all came with it; newest one is a 2013.

But even without a locker, in 4x4 it's powering one wheel in front and one in back, so I don't know where you got this "one wheel drive" shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone has locking diffs available now. Most of them however only allow you to lock in, in 4wl lo, or under a certain mph, depending on make. So, the factory options, IMO, are about useless. LS like the Detroit tru track are my favorite. Lock in solid like a locker under slip, but still allows some diff action under lower loads to keep you tracking straight.

Locked diffs are decidedly unforgiving once you start sliding.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]Quoted:

View Quote

Actually it's usually less than an half an inch but when the worst ice storm in the US in several years, according to the National Weather Service, is centered over where you live then it gets a lot thicker. So whether you want to believe it or not, down here in Texas not only are our dicks bigger than yours, our ice is too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't know how anyone can legitimately state that 2wd is better than 4wd.  That being said the only time I ever really use my 4wd is if I get stuck in 2wd, or sometimes in the winter when I drive down out often unplowed gravel hilly winding road.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#25]
When I was into heavy duty off-roading in the Rockies, I had an International Harvester Scout II SS.  I swear, in low range and first gear that thing would have climbed the side of the Empire State Building.  It was as solid and reliable as an anvil.  Later I traded it (big mistake) for a Jeep CJ-7.  It was OK but no Scout.  Then I had a Chevy 3500, long bed, dually, 4WD.  With a full tank of gas and a spare can, I could almost make it from gas station to gas station.  Now I have a Subaru AWD with an LSD on the front axle, a LSD on the rear axle and a Driver Controlled Center Differential.  As long as one tire/any tire has traction, you’re moving.  It is an absolute blast in snow, sand and dirt roads.  I’m probably the only person in ATL that prays for snow, snow and more snow.  I absolutely loved “snomagedon”.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
4WD with a winch, FTW.
View Quote

And a locker.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#27]
a yep the stories...
2wd in mud ...ya right
2wd in a foot of wet snow...ya right
not that it cant be done  
i have 2wd chains and skills and
converting skills to 4wd is oh SO much BETTER.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My jeep does both.
View Quote

Great point.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Is the Detroit locker a pain in the ass during normal street driving or parking lots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4WD is mandatory.

Ever been off road with a trailer? Gets real slick real quick.

2008 F250 6.4L with a Detroit TruTrack locker.

Is the Detroit locker a pain in the ass during normal street driving or parking lots?

Trutrac is not a locker. It is an all gear LSD, and a great unit.

A full Detroit locker can be a minor annoyance driving on the street. If the axle is receiving torque, both wheels are locked and turning. This means a little bit of chirping in parking lots if you use the throttle. You learn to coast into parking spots.

I also used to have a 1 ton K5 with a welded rear axle. Now that was interesting in parking lots. I left rubber everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know how anyone can legitimately state that 2wd is better than 4wd.  That being said the only time I ever really use my 4wd is if I get stuck in 2wd, or sometimes in the winter when I drive down out often unplowed gravel hilly winding road.
View Quote

I've never been stuck in my FWD Mariner.  Not even close and I have a lot of private road to maintain that I sometimes fail at.  So for me, a 4WD is just an unnecessary added cost for a vehicle that stays on the road.

Now my truck is a different story, and like blow, I only use it when I find 2WD slipping.  I've needed it most when pulling loads into wet fields etc..

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My truck is 4X4.  With that said I have always been told the only thing a 4X4 will do is get you stuck futher in the woods.
View Quote

the trick is to use 2WD until you get stuck. Then you use 4WD to get unstuck.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#32]
You can get around in 2wd when it snows carefully and slowly. To say it is as good as 4wd is retarded. I've had front and rear wheel drive and neither comes close to having 4wd except for all wheel drive.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#33]
We got 5 vehicles between us here. 3 are 4x4, one is a sports car and one is a trashed out compact pickup that we use for stuff we wouldn't do with in the nice pickup.

Given the choice everyone drives a 4x4.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#34]
All things being equal, 4wd will win over 2wd. The ability for a vehicle to pull from the front as well as push from the rear is better than just being able to push from the rear.
There's no doubt that people have set up their 2wd trucks to be effective and have adapted their driving skills to manage this better than some with 4wd vehicles, but again all things being equal 4wd>2wd.
The argument of people saying my 2wd whatever can go anywhere b/c I know how to drive is not the 4wd vs 2wd argument, it's an "I can drive and you can't drive" argument.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#35]
double post
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I've driven almost every configuration in dry, wet, snow, ice, dirt, and mud.  There is no one configuration that works best on everything.  The best possible setup I could hope for would be selectable 2wd-awd-4wd, with at least a limited slip in the rear. Ram currently offers this in their 1500 pickups, and it seems to work well on just about everything.

for non-pavement situations, 4wd with a rear locker and selectable front locker is the shit.

try this in your 2wd and then tell me how superior it is to 4wd.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Seems like it never fails. Start talking about 4WD pickups, SUVs, Jeeps, etc and some fool interjects with how his 2WD whatever is just as good, does just as well in snow and ice, tows as well or better, etc. Along with the usual refrain that they "just know how to drive". I'm thinking that these people have never driven through more than a couple of inches of snow, on truly mountainous roads, a muddy field or along a soft, sandy beach. Ignorance is bliss. Oh well, I suppose has some mild comedic value.
View Quote

I managed to drive fine in the snow in a two wheel rear wheels drive mid engine Pontiac pos. My 4x4 Toyota FJ cruiser did obviously much better in the snow. My AWD honda CRV did much better than my FJ cruiser, though I expect it would have a harder time off road if I Ever decided to get off the highway.

I've seen just as many 4x4 dozers rolled off the freeway during a blizzard as stupid civics and such. Knowing how your vehicle behaves in bad weather (eg paying attention and general experience) is more important than car features. You can always throw sandbags in the floor boards and trunk of a Hyundai accent and put snow chains on and still make it through Snoho pass just fine, if you know how to drive in shit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Everyone has locking diffs available now. Most of them however only allow you to lock in, in 4wl lo, or under a certain mph, depending on make. So, the factory options, IMO, are about useless. LS like the Detroit tru track are my favorite. Lock in solid like a locker under slip, but still allows some diff action under lower loads to keep you tracking straight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, my Nissan Titan Pro 4X has a locking rear diff. I would really like to put one up front, but they probably don't make them for Nissan trucks. Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Toyota, yeah, but not Nissan. I can live with 3 1/2 wheel drive (VSC) for now and even with the low speed rear locking differential. I can't imagine trying to used a locking diff at speed. My main problem is driving into my camp in the winter. With about a mile to go from the main (plowed) road I can see where a locking differential and VSC could come in handy. My camp is above the snow belt (I-80) here in PA. You can look to get two feet of snow in a good snowfall.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, what if I'm using engine braking and downshifting the transmission?  

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't get offroad much, but there have been many times when I've been in a mud parking lot for a concert or something similar, got stuck in 2WD, threw it in 4WD and drove out with no further issues.  4WD can create opportunities or rescue you from misfortune, but if abused it creates opportunites for misfortune.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Have them ride in a MFWD tractor, pulling something hard.  The difference with the front end kicked in is absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Because there are 'tards who say just the opposite !!!

I own 9 vehicles ..... 5 of them are 4X2, two are 4X4 and one is a 6X6 (M923)

Man-up and get a real truck ......

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A full Detroit locker can be a minor annoyance driving on the street. If the axle is receiving torque, both wheels are locked and turning. This means a little bit of chirping in parking lots if you use the throttle. You learn to coast into parking spots.

I also used to have a 1 ton K5 with a welded rear axle. Now that was interesting in parking lots. I left rubber everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4WD is mandatory.

Ever been off road with a trailer? Gets real slick real quick.

2008 F250 6.4L with a Detroit TruTrack locker.

This post is correct. Its not a locker but its a step up from a limited slip.

I can tell you 100% that when locked in all four of my tires spin and spin hard. I've left four black marks on pavement before.

I've notice zero annoyances with it really. If its real wet out and I slip going around a sharp turn with it, then it will lock and drag a bit. But not bad really. Helped me  put the power down at 600rwhp. And I've been in some deep serious shit with my truck and the farm. That 2wd wouldn't cut it in at all. Let alone while pulling something such as a hay wagon or a trailer load of lumber.

It hasn't always saved me though. I buried my truck deep enough before that I needed towed out with a dozer. Shit happens, especially going out to pipelines.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My house in Iowa, you cant get up in the driveway without 4wd in the winter, even the wifes old fwd TDI Jetta with snow tires couldnt get up half way. There's a reason she now drives a 4x4 4Runner.

Had a co-worker who thought the 2x4> 4x4, he also was an Illinois Commie and would swallow Barry's nuts.
View Quote

I think we've solved this issue, fellas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the ice will wind-drift like snow as it hardens, so you can get a wavy or cobblestone-like surface that's inches thick. It's really nasty, as it gets your steering front wheels bounce out of contact and you lose what little control you have. Once you lose that, you're screwed, because you usually don't get it back. This caused a lot of problems last winter because the cold weather hung around for a week, and that cobblestone ice was all over bridges and wouldn't go away.
I drove on it just fine; you can only go about 15-20 mph on that shit, but you can go. Throttle control is very important, and you really want to avoid touching the brakes at all. Gearing down to decelerate and looking way ahead is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be surprised if the "2WD is just as good as 4WD/AWD if you know how to drive" goobers understand much about mechanical resistance or using throttle manipulation and gear selection to modulate speed and deceleration.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I have a 4WD with front and rear e-lockers. I have very little time on my rear locker and even less time on front locker, but damn am I glad I have them. We don't have snow or ice around this area, but lots of dirt and sand. The 4WD and lockers have pulled my ass out of a lot of stuff. Most of the time, just using the rear locker will get me out. On a rare occasion, the front locker is needed as well, as long as I do not need to turn. A guy at work insisted his 2WD truck is very capable, but he has refused to go off-roading with me and my Jeep every time I have invited him to go out. Maybe he knows that I will take him somewhere he can't go, to prove a point.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Running locked diffs on snow and ice isn't as great as you think it is.   My truck has both front and rear selectable lockers. For the most part I get better results on snow and ice running 4x4, unlocked, but the rear diff reverts to limited slip in that mode.

Lockers are much more useful off road on uneven terrain.
View Quote

If it's just icy, not deep snow, then it's easier for rookies to drive without the locker, but not "better". And since most newer trucks have traction control, even rookie drivers can benefit from it without sliding out the back. In deep snow, it absolutely helps to power though it. But regardless of what drive system you have, driver skill is still just as important.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top