Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is true, but ever since this thing got going (according to the CBS news last night) there has been more than $10 million donated.  So it's working out pretty damn well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys do understand the people dumping water on their heads are doing it so they don't have to donate money, right?  

Let me put that another way for you.  You are challenged to donate money or dump water on your head.  If you don't donate the money, you are required to dump water on your head.  

When people show videos of themselves dumping water on their heads, they're saying they decided to do that instead of donating money.

That is true, but ever since this thing got going (according to the CBS news last night) there has been more than $10 million donated.  So it's working out pretty damn well.

Yes, absolutely.  My point is about people dumping water on their head because it's "cool".  Sure, some do both and do donate.  But, the premise is that you dump the water on yourself because you don't want to donate.

And ironically right after posting this............ my cousin "challenged" me.  I donated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw this MILF dump a bucket on herself while wearing ass hugging jeans and a little belly shirt earlier today so it works for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd dump a bucket of water over your head to raise awareness for NFA...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of all the things to get pissed about, this has to be the most innocuous.

It's for charity.  Grow up.

Buncha grumpy ass curmudgeons up in here.

No shit

If it was to raise awareness to repeal the NFA I bet Arf would be all for it.

I'd dump a bucket of water over your head to raise awareness for NFA...

gene5 could take off his clothes and drip hot wax on him after.

We'll call it the "Icy-Hot" challenge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Anyone know if they got seriously injured/killed?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
i wholeheartedly agree.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's official. Arfcom will complain about ANYTHING
View Quote

We need a "Are blowjobs stupid?" thread to definitively determine this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK.  I'll bite.

What is the ice bucket challenge?

ETA.....

Never heard of it.  Is it that popular?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
OK.  I'll bite.

What is the ice bucket challenge?

ETA.....

Never heard of it.  Is it that popular?

The Ice Bucket Challenge, sometimes called the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, is an activity involving dumping a bucket of ice water on one's head or donating to the ALS Association in the United States. It went viral throughout social media during the Northern-Hemisphere summer of 2014.
The challenge dares nominated participants to have a bucket of ice water poured on their head. One common stipulation gives 24 hours from the time they are nominated to complete the dare; otherwise, the participant is asked to donate money to charity.

Yeah last week I got a call from a gun buddy and member here trying to get me to do that. I told him no.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]

My dad past away from ALS.   I think it is a great way to get people to become more aware and involved.

I am matching all my personal friends dollar for dollar who donated.
Plus giving $50 for anyone who does the challenge and pass it on, correctly.

What irritates are people who are not passing on the message about ALS and think it is a tag game to pour ICE water them.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:28:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy about the uptick in charitable giving but I can't help but think of this meme every time I see a new participant's video:

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm really saddened by some of you idiots who think it's a bad thing. It may be a silly idea but I'm fully on board and hope it continues for as long as the American attention span. I'm in for a $500 bounty on my states top ALS physician. My wife has also recruited matching funds from other neurologists. Anything to raise more money for this, the most cruel disease I treat. To one especially dense poster who thinks ALS is just a new fancy term for the more classic Lou Gehrig's, the current opinion is shifting that Gehrig may not have had ALS as previously thought. It's never going to stop being Lou Gehrig's disease to the public but no neurologist calls it that.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If girls were giving free blowjobs to raise awareness and money for a charity people on this site would complain it was wasting their time.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ALS is horrible, anything that draws attention or funds is not bad.
View Quote

This

All you negative little nancy boys saying its stupid, I really really hope you never have to take care of a loved one who's body dies slowly before your eyes while their mind is alert and all there. I sincerely hope you never have that level of pain and despair in your life.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
See where three firefighter got zapped doing the ice water challenge [using hoses] when they ran their ladder into high tension wires?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw some local kids doing one on the corner by my house.

Lots of screaming when the cold hit them but I fail to see good purpose for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
yes
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Most people today have had their head in a bucket for along time, some are just adding ice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
It's stupid...but the funds go to a worthy cause.  ALS is a terrible disease.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. Dumb.

But, having said that, it does raise money for charity but I have absolutely ZERO interest in it and I'm getting tired of seeing it plastered all over the internet. Including arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
May seem dumb and I won't partake but the donations this year are more than 10x what they were last year.
This isn't money the government is taking, this is money people are willingly donating for the greater good. More power to 'em!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I challenged a co-worker that has a rack the size of Texas and said she has to do it with a white t-shirt. She asked if the t-shirt was necessary. Now to see if she'll follow through.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely.  My point is about people dumping water on their head because it's "cool".  Sure, some do both and do donate.  But, the premise is that you dump the water on yourself because you don't want to donate.

And ironically right after posting this............ my cousin "challenged" me.  I donated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys do understand the people dumping water on their heads are doing it so they don't have to donate money, right?  

Let me put that another way for you.  You are challenged to donate money or dump water on your head.  If you don't donate the money, you are required to dump water on your head.  

When people show videos of themselves dumping water on their heads, they're saying they decided to do that instead of donating money.

And the whole point of the water bucket is to catch attention of other people...

Stupid? Maybe, but it's working. Without the dumb water buckets being poured, we wouldn't be seeing the increase in donations.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the fans of John Ringo contacted me this morning asking me to let John know he'd been challenged.  I told him John probably had no clue who he was and may not even know what the challenge is because he doesn't get online that often.  He finally changed his challenge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#26]
firefighters injured, chick gets the bottom of the bucket on her head......  shit's dangerous yo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm gonna start a new challenge fad.

You either donate money towards safe drinking water for parts of the world without it at http://www.charitywater.org, or you can sit in a wheelchair and not speak for a couple hours.

ETA:  Just started it on FB.  We'll see how much hate I get.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
As usual, GD is predictable. Full of a bunch of bitchy little girls. It's only cool to jerk off behind your massive ammo fort to compensate for your small cocks.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not the bandwagon kind of guy, but it's raising a lot of money for a Damn good cause.
My mother passed from ALS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I challenged a co-worker that has a rack the size of Texas and said she has to do it with a white t-shirt. She asked if the t-shirt was necessary. Now to see if she'll follow through.
View Quote

Ummm.....tag.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#31]
an Idea is formed. Some pour a bucket of Ice water on their head while a video is running. They challenge someone to do same, posting the challenge on youtube. It goes viral. Raises millions of dollars.  Raises awareness for a horrible disease. Did i mention it raises millions of dollars from a free video......BRILLIANT.

How man multimillion dollar ideas have you come up with?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
an Idea is formed. Some pour a bucket of Ice water on their head while a video is running. They challenge someone to do same, posting the challenge on youtube. It goes viral. Raises millions of dollars.  Raises awareness for a horrible disease. Did i mention it raises millions of dollars from a free video......BRILLIANT.

View Quote

if they jump off a cliff for a good cause ,you gonna do it? it has gotten stupid.sorry,and yet I donated 100 bucks to ALS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#33]
" />
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#34]

hell he shotgunned a buddy in his face! that's gangsta!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Any celebrity or company owner who does this, I am boycotting.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hasn't the original idea raised like 6 millon dollars for charity or something?
View Quote

Don't know if this has been addressed but its 40m+
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.

"People are making donating to charity into a challenge and making it fun, fuck that gay attention whore shit"

Stay classy GD.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
A better cause...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7L8mYQ2ebw
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ice cold dunk tanks have been around for decades. This is just a cheap, easy, little "dunk tank."  It's not really that innovative at all.

The using the internet to "guilt/challenge" others to hand over money isn't really something I'm fond of.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Harlem Shake was even more lame!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Bahhh!  It's so original and cool I must do it!  Bahh!  

I'd rather wear a yellow wrist band any day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Either donate money to a good cause or be an attention whore.  Hum............  Hard to see why it's so popular.  

By the way, I don't know anyone that's done it that also donated money.
View Quote

Yeah, they're all nothing but a bunch of useless attention whores with nothing better to do..
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Either donate money to a good cause or be an attention whore.  Hum............  Hard to see why it's so popular.  

Yeah, they're all nothing but a bunch of useless attention whores with nothing better to do..

Uh, they donated too. I'm sure you're missing the point, but thanks for playing.  

By the way, what the does "awareness" mean to these people?  Did anyone NOT know about ALS before this, but now do after dumping water on their head?  How is that helping?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#46]
I did the challenge last night and donated. From my understanding you do the challenge and donate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Harlem Shake was even more lame!
View Quote

I don't think the Harlem Shake videos were for raising money for charity.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:25:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes. Dumb.

But, having said that, it does raise money for charity but I have absolutely ZERO interest in it and I'm getting tired of seeing it plastered all over the internet. Including arfcom.
View Quote

You're so tired of seeing it, that you participate in threads about it.  Makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Beyond stupid...  Perfect example of human herd mentality!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Uh, they donated too. I'm sure you're missing the point, but thanks for playing.  

By the way, what the does "awareness" mean to these people?  Did anyone NOT know about ALS before this, but now do after dumping water on their head?  How is that helping?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does "awareness" mean?
As of Thursday, August 21, The ALS Association has received $41.8 million in donations compared to $2.1 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 21). These donations have come from existing donors and 739,275 new donors to The Association..

If you don't think an almost 2000% increase in donations is helping, there is no point in trying to explain it any further.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top