BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Primus,

Get yourself a Farm Bureau membership.

From there, get in on the Farm Bureau fleet truck program.

The newer Fleet trucks aren't stripped down totally, but closer than you're gonna get from a dealer.

3/4 ton, 4x4, V8, towing package, am/FM, crank windows, AC. vinyl floor, and cloth bench, is about as basic as they come anymore, and still run 30K+.
Beats the crap out of 50K for a bunch of citiot crap you wont use or want, added on though.

Best option so far, has been to wait for one of the regional big fleet buyers to dump thier stuff and buy used. Repairs will be needed of course, but if you can turn a wrench it saves 20K.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't get the "old tech in a new vehicle" obsession.  I'd love to have a record player in a car because I collect and play records, but I'm literally one of two people who would want that.

I mean, there's a reason that technology has evolved, because who really wants to go back to the old ways? Let's bring back hand crank starters and rumble seats while we're at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could get 4WD if you wanted to, but you'd have to get out and lock the hubs.

I don't get the "old tech in a new vehicle" obsession.  I'd love to have a record player in a car because I collect and play records, but I'm literally one of two people who would want that.

I mean, there's a reason that technology has evolved, because who really wants to go back to the old ways? Let's bring back hand crank starters and rumble seats while we're at it.

I am a huge fan of locking hubs, but I always consider things from a work truck or offroading angle.

If you bust up a front U-joint out in the middle of nowhere you can just unlock the hub and limp back home with all the broken stuff just hanging out waiting. Obviously if you  have a locker you will need to completely disengage the front, but that's a completely different story.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I am repeating myself here, but for me, a lot of these options arn't about the money. They are just inappropriate for my intended use of the truck.

Having plush seats and carpet to me is the same thing as buying a couple Lazy Boys to sit on my front porch. Yeah, they are confortable but the first time it rains..........................
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am repeating myself here, but for me, a lot of these options arn't about the money. They are just inappropriate for my intended use of the truck.

Having plush seats and carpet to me is the same thing as buying a couple Lazy Boys to sit on my front porch. Yeah, they are confortable but the first time it rains..........................
View Quote

This!!!

Last truck hunt I went on, the dealers just couldn't get it through thier heads that I WANTED and NEEDED rubber floors, durable Vinyl bench seat, Std. Cab, Long bed, and minimal electronic shit in the cab.
Turning radius, Hauling capacity, and constant use in heavy dust and with Mud and grease all over me, the dog, and the crew means heated corinthian Leather seats, as well as plush carpet are just a fucking stupid idea.

The ability to hose out an interior with a pressure washer, would be something I WOULD pay for.

Citiots cannot fathom the actual use a Farm truck gets on a daily basis, so naturally every dealer except one, tried to show me everything but what I NEEDED.
Pissed me off royally when the dorks just couldn't help themselves, and started wasting my time with quad cabs, short beds, and the other shit that the Horse and RV crowd might need to pamper thier precious butts, but is useless on a farm.

If one of the Big three made a "Farm package", the damn things would sell like crazy outside of fleet sales.
Maybe not in the northeast or the west coast where automated tampax pullers and a Biday come as base options, but everywhere in between.
The Local Dodge dealer does a brisk business selling fleet vehicle leftovers when he can get them, and admits it's bullshit he can't get more....the guys that are happy with thier work trucks, usually buy the old lady something nice, and another parts runner half ton.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Take alook at the "Work Truck" package on Tundras. Goes along with OPs premise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem with any power window in any vehicle I've ever owned.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  *shrug*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not having power windows doesn't save you much money at all, and it makes life a little easier.  Might as well have them.
I will gladly pay for AC.

I would love to be able to have no carpet and easy-clean seats, though.  I don't want to have to worrry about muddy shoes and clothes when I get in.

Until the window regulators shit the bed.....I'll stick with power windows....all the power in your arms.

I've never had a problem with any power window in any vehicle I've ever owned.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  *shrug*

Yeah, you're lucky you have power windows. I've had more problems with manual window regulators than power windows. Power windows are cheaper and more reliable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Until the window regulators shit the bed.....I'll stick with power windows....all the power in your arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not having power windows doesn't save you much money at all, and it makes life a little easier.  Might as well have them.

I would love to be able to have no carpet and easy-clean seats, though.  I don't want to have to worrry about muddy shoes and clothes when I get in.

Window regulator, you mean the thing that costs $25 ?

THE HUMANITY
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#8]
No AC - then not in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY

$220-250 each to have all 4 replaced on my previous truck...04 F150.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
True, but I think if you could get a full sized, new, solidly built truck for under 20k, a lot of people would buy them as a second vehicle.  Pick ups are great to have, but not if they rival your mortgage payment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, base equipped trucks are next to impossible to find new.

Because let's face it, who wants one?  Dealers don't stock things that won't turn a profit.

This isn't the 80s or early 90s anymore.  Most people want creature comforts and rolling down your window by hand?

http://claimyourjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-10-26-50-pm.png
True, but I think if you could get a full sized, new, solidly built truck for under 20k, a lot of people would buy them as a second vehicle.  Pick ups are great to have, but not if they rival your mortgage payment.

I'd be seriously tempted and I wouldn't care about manual windows. I used them plenty in my early driving years.

I'd prefer a floor shift, though. Never really liked the column-mounted units. I could live with it, though.

The only "creature comfort I'd want would be AC and I'd be willing to pay for it as an option.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was looking at the bro dozer thread.  80K pick up trucks are crazy.  Even used ones that are modestly equipped are crazy priced these days.

Would there be a market for a full sized, "bare bones" truck in today's market?  No cutting edge tech, the minimum to get it crash proofed and street legal?

I think there would be.  I'm not talking that Kenyan Landrover Knockoff, but something well built, full sized and low cost.

Imagine rolling down your own windows, in your bench seat, am radio having, leaf spring suspension, two door truck with a manual transmission (column shift!)....that sort of thing.

There has to be a market for people who want the utility of a truck, but don't want to pay luxury car prices for them.
View Quote

Probably already covered but, didn't GM try that eith the w/t trucks?

IIRC they just didn't sell as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This!!!

Last truck hunt I went on, the dealers just couldn't get it through thier heads that I WANTED and NEEDED rubber floors, durable Vinyl bench seat, Std. Cab, Long bed, and minimal electronic shit in the cab.

Turning radius, Hauling capacity, and constant use in heavy dust and with Mud and grease all over me, the dog, and the crew means heated corinthian Leather seats, as well as plush carpet are just a fucking stupid idea.

The ability to hose out an interior with a pressure washer, would be something I WOULD pay for.

Citiots cannot fathom the actual use a Farm truck gets on a daily basis, so naturally every dealer except one, tried to show me everything but what I NEEDED.

Pissed me off royally when the dorks just couldn't help themselves, and started wasting my time with quad cabs, short beds, and the other shit that the Horse and RV crowd might need to pamper thier precious butts, but is useless on a farm.

If one of the Big three made a "Farm package", the damn things would sell like crazy outside of fleet sales.

Maybe not in the northeast or the west coast where automated tampax pullers and a Biday come as base options, but everywhere in between.

The Local Dodge dealer does a brisk business selling fleet vehicle leftovers when he can get them, and admits it's bullshit he can't get more....the guys that are happy with thier work trucks, usually buy the old lady something nice, and another parts runner half ton.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This!!!

Right there with you man. The "hose out the interior" feature is huge with me.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY

You replaced EVERY window regulator on a 10-year-old truck? What the hell did you do to them?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Take alook at the "Work Truck" package on Tundras. Goes along with OPs premise.
View Quote

Tundra and "Work truck" is an Oxymoron.

Damn things wont pull a fat broad off a doughnut.
Make a good parts runner and light duty hauler though...if the price wasn't plumb stoopid.

When Toyota gets off thier Candy ass and puts out a proper 3/4 ton, they will have something.
Until then, they are for the Horsey tweedy crowd and RV haulers.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're lucky you have power windows. I've had more problems with manual window regulators than power windows. Power windows are cheaper and more reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to think the same way.
The manual regulators in our 2500HD went to shit and it was $250 bucks to replace each of the fucking things.
Nice Job GM!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You replaced EVERY window regulator on a 10-year-old truck? What the hell did you do to them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY

First one went out when the truck was about 5 years old, and the remaining 3 all followed within 2 years after.  Ford had issues with regulators from around 04-06...but I never had issues with any of the many vehicles before that which had manual crank windows.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was looking at the bro dozer thread.  80K pick up trucks are crazy.  Even used ones that are modestly equipped are crazy priced these days.

Would there be a market for a full sized, "bare bones" truck in today's market?  No cutting edge tech, the minimum to get it crash proofed and street legal?

I think there would be.  I'm not talking that Kenyan Landrover Knockoff, but something well built, full sized and low cost.

Imagine rolling down your own windows, in your bench seat, am radio having, leaf spring suspension, two door truck with a manual transmission (column shift!)....that sort of thing.

There has to be a market for people who want the utility of a truck, but don't want to pay luxury car prices for them.
View Quote
Cheap stuff always sells

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
order it  

I ordered my F450 in 03 XL trim bench roll up windows etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a market, it's called fleets.

There are trucks out there that are base, 2WD, V-6, manual windows, bench seats.  No way you can get anything with just AM anymore.  And the thing is, you have to look for them, because dealers aren't going to sell a lot of base XL F-150s and W/T Silverados.  I see those at the auto shows because contractors and fleet managers go to those things too.    That said, a few years ago my dad bought a used C2500, it had crank windows, vinyl bench, manual everything and initially just AM/FM, it was a good truck.
Yeah, but most people don't buy their pick ups three at a time....

order it  

I ordered my F450 in 03 XL trim bench roll up windows etc

How much did you pay vs a base on the lot one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I wouldn't buy it.

I'ts been my experience that pulling a trailer full of ATV/UTVs, a bed full of gear, and four people in the cab is much more enjoyable with a sound-deadened interior, a 650ft-lbs diesel, AC running full-blast, comfortable seats, and a DVD playing.

But I totally understand it's the MO of Arfcom to be spartan and uncomfortable, because it's manly.
View Quote
Meh, different use.  I don't do motor sports, but my wife inherited 1/3 of a farm we're looking to put back into production.

I'd like a truck for that sort of work. I'd use it 3-4 times a week in that role, but since I have a day job, wouldn't use it as a daily driver.

I had an Excursion as a family truckster for purposes like you mentioned and I bought a 5x10 single axle trailer that'll load 1900lbs, but had there been more pick up options, I'd have considered at least exploring them.

Not to go all Nutnfancy on you, but philosophy of use and what not.

But, as an aside, you are right, I'm willing to bet I'm more manly than you as well.  I would also use the pickup to haul around my balls, which are big as church bells. (no truck nuts for this guy).

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Primus,

Get yourself a Farm Bureau membership.

From there, get in on the Farm Bureau fleet truck program.

The newer Fleet trucks aren't stripped down totally, but closer than you're gonna get from a dealer.

3/4 ton, 4x4, V8, towing package, am/FM, crank windows, AC. vinyl floor, and cloth bench, is about as basic as they come anymore, and still run 30K+.

Beats the crap out of 50K for a bunch of citiot crap you wont use or want, added on though.

Best option so far, has been to wait for one of the regional big fleet buyers to dump thier stuff and buy used. Repairs will be needed of course, but if you can turn a wrench it saves 20K.

View Quote
Good info, I hadn't considered that at all.

I can turn a wrench, but I wouldn't do anything too ambitious because I don't have a garage and the barn is packed to the gills with 80's and prior vintage equipment. (no room).

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Cheap stuff always sells  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheap stuff always sells  
Let me parse your choice of words; "cheap" as in bargain priced but well built (as laid out in my OP) or is this a buy once/cry once observation?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Used fleet trucks go for the mid 20, 000 range at Car Max with 150k rental miles on em.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I wouldn't buy it personally. I like my creature comforts too much.
View Quote
So do I, but I don't need them in a non-daily driver that's going no further than Lancaster county (which is about 40 miles as the crow flies).

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#25]
They would sell like mad, as long as they had A/C and an auto trans as an option (too many people can't drive stick anymore)

Thing is, none of the auto makers will want to touch it with a ten foot pole.  Too much interference with their current models.    Nobody else can simply step up and focus on making something like this because the feds won't let them.

The powers that be want to price vehicles out of as many people's reach as possible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just buy an older vehicle and learn to work on it yourself.  Pick a vehicle that had enough of a follwing to develop an aftermarket and there is no shortage of parts.

Trucks today being expensive is part of the appeal to the heated seats crowd.  They can either brag about how much they spent, or brag about how much they saved, when a 20+ year old truck could haul their fat asses and groceries around just fine.

Unless a vehicle was totalled in an accident you can get a full sized truck serviced and running good as new for well under 10k, under 5k for an old Ranger around here.  You will lose more than that in depreciation on a brodozer.

ETA: Also, the older the vehicle the simpler it is to work on.  You don't have any of the emissions and efficiency garbage new ones have either, and can feel like a real big spender when you stop for a tank of gas every three days like me.
View Quote

This. When I was a single father of three just over a year ago I bought an '01 Dakota quad cab 3.9 v6 4x4 with a 5 speed manual (my only requirement). I could afford more but I called the dealer and negotiated down to 5600.00 including tax, title and licence. Old guy trade in with exceptional service records but 160k on the clock. Something break...I dare you. I will have it fixed by the end of my first day off.

My previous ride was a '96 k2500 Suburban. Blown motor, new tranny. $600 dollars plus the tow truck. New crate engine and some elbow grease and I was cruising the town within a week. Screw new vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They would sell like mad, as long as they had A/C and an auto trans as an option (too many people can't drive stick anymore)

Thing is, none of the auto makers will want to touch it with a ten foot pole.  Too much interference with their current models.    Nobody else can simply step up and focus on making something like this because the feds won't let them.

The powers that be want to price vehicles out of as many people's reach as possible.
View Quote

Yet somehow, the manufacturers do offer them and they do not sell even while people claim there is a huge market for them and they would buy one if offered.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a market, it's called fleets.

There are trucks out there that are base, 2WD, V-6, manual windows, bench seats.  No way you can get anything with just AM anymore.  And the thing is, you have to look for them, because dealers aren't going to sell a lot of base XL F-150s and W/T Silverados.  I see those at the auto shows because contractors and fleet managers go to those things too.    That said, a few years ago my dad bought a used C2500, it had crank windows, vinyl bench, manual everything and initially just AM/FM, it was a good truck.

dealer near me had several w/t model silverados, we buy plenty for our company. They are out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yet somehow, the manufacturers do offer them and they do not sell even while people claim there is a huge market for them and they would buy one if offered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stripped down models are lacking one thing, so they are not floor planned by dealers.
That thing is enhanced profit margin.

The Margins on heavily optioned trucks, are a LOT higher than the stripped trucks.
The backdoor returns on higher priced trucks is higher, as is the return on financed high option trucks.
If you're gonna shit 8% on floor plan costs, the returns have to cover it and then some.

Dealers don't floorplan stripped down work and Farm trucks, so they are not found at the local dealer, they generally have to be ordered through a fleet purchase.
Ordering a fleet purchase means you have to pool in with others, or buy several, and wait for delivery.

Your idea of "Offered", and that of most folks looking for a stripped down truck, is miles apart.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

"What's my payment?"

This is how most people buy cars.  Leather is $20.  Power windows are $10.  A lift, some wheels/tires, tint and truck nuts are $55.
View Quote

So true. It took 3 or 4 vehicles of me telling my salesman no and walking away before he understood that I had a hard 20k budget, and I don't care if he can stretch out my payments 8 years on a 40k truck to meet the same payments. The overall cost should determine my payments.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Base should include AC and a radio with an AUX input.  Not like these things are terribly expensive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why the fuck are diesels so expensive bought my king ranch F-250 in '08 for 35k lol now i can't even find a damn 2007 dodge 1 ton for under 30k
View Quote

You got the deal of a century on that buy!  Base on a KR in 2008 was $43,600.  Add in $6900 for the 6.4 powerstroke and $1490 for the required auto and you are at $52K.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I just snagged a 85 F150 2x4 1/2 ton 302 AT XL from the original owner for $600.00. 125k but mechanically immaculate, a bit of typical rust in typical Ford spots for the vintage. A deer committed Sepiku on the passenger door but straight otherwise.

I'm thinking 460 and C-6.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The stripped down models are lacking one thing, so they are not floor planned by dealers.

The Margins on heavily optioned trucks, are a LOT higher than the stripped trucks.
The backdoor returns on higher priced trucks is higher, as is the return on financed high option trucks.
If you're gonna shit 8% on floor plan costs, the returns have to cover it and then some.

Dealers don't floorplan stripped down work and Farm trucks, so they are not found at the local dealer, they generally have to be ordered through a fleet purchase.
Ordering a fleet purchase means you have to pool in with others, or buy several, and wait for delivery.

Your idea of "Offered", and that of most folks looking for a stripped down truck, is miles apart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes... Gasp... You have to special order your made to order vehicle that no one else wants. But if you want it, it is available. I'm sorry you actually have to go through a minimum of effort.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes... Gasp... You have to special order your made to order vehicle that no one else wants. But if you want it, it is available. I'm sorry you actually have to go through a minimum of effort.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found mine on a dealer lot in AK, there was an extended cab gasser, and a regular cab and extended cab basically the same but diesel, I knew many people that spoke of wanting bare bones trucks, but claimed they were unavailable, none of them went to look at any of the three trucks I didn't buy.
I have no trouble finding brand new no/low option Super Duties in NC either.
They don't have to be ordered, unless you want a particular color, they don't sell well enough for dealers to bother having a rainbow of them out there.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Base model Vs Fleet purchase.

Go tell your dealer you want a fleet purchase.
Let us know how it goes skippy.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:29:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fleet purchase is a quantity, not an option package. I'll tell you how it goes... You order it, and it gets queued up and when its finished, they ship it to your dealership. It isn't rocket science. I'm sure you can pick it up in time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#38]
There are plenty of work truck trim level pick ups for sale in PA.        

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:32:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Why do people think that mouse fur carpet is more expensive to produce then rubber matting? I'd bet it's cheaper to make and just as cheap labor wise to install.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:49:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why do people think that mouse fur carpet is more expensive to produce then rubber matting? I'd bet it's cheaper to make and just as cheap labor wise to install.
View Quote

Because it requires another vendor, more space on the line, another code to pay attention to, another possible screw up, and nobody fucking wants it. It is absolutely more expensive to make one of 5,000 rubber mats than it is to produce one of 500,000 carpets because it requires different machines to make. But you know what? They still offer them. It is a $60 option for rubber mats, and  a $0 option for carpet delete. Of course the the stripped down truck fans who are full of shit about their desire to purchase these trucks don't know that because they don't actually want to buy one.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:51:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a bare bones Ranger.

I love the thing.

I guess growing up in a well to do family I got the 'luxury' out of my system.

Lexus, Mercedes, etc are 'meh' to me now, not impressed when someone drives a $80k brodozer either.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:55:19 AM EDT
[#42]
My Uncle used to buy a bare bones F150 every 3 years. He used to really piss off the dealership, because he would not listen to them explain how a more luxurious model already on their lot was cheaper than his bare bones special order. He didn't want anything...no radio, no power seat/doors/windows....no AC....NOTHING. His last truck actually had a few "luxuries", because the factory didn't offer them any other way. He would pay cash, and walk in with all of the cash in a bag. He was a curmudgeonly old bastard, and did things exactly his way...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:00:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd buy one if it was dependable and fuel efficient.  Any bells and whistles can be added by the owner (lights, audio, wench, toolbox, etc).
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Is vinyl still available I like my leather with the dogs just wipe off the mud and clean.

Personally I would like 4x4 (ND winters require this), leather or vinyl (which ever is more durable) rubber floor, power windows and locks, manual seats with heat, AM/FM, no plastic crap on body.
All the rest I could take or leave but I have never figured out the love of the single cab unless it's a farm truck work trucks always seem to need that extra space and family trucks for sure needs the space.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd buy one if it was dependable and fuel efficient.  Any bells and whistles can be added by the owner (lights, audio, wench, toolbox, etc).
View Quote

I know you mean "winch" but I envision installing a buxom cab partner when I read your post.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:14:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've replaced 5 or 6 window regulators in my Tahoe.  Yeah, you've been lucky.

I had a 2001 F150 XL that was about as bare bones as you could get - V6, 5 speed, all vinyl interior, crank windows, steel wheels.  Only option it had was A/C.  I sold it and have regretted it ever since.  I've looked into a fleet club cab a couple of times, and even those are pushing $30k.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY

$99+ a pop for the front doors.  $200+ for the rear doors.  That's for Dorman aftermarket shit, don't even ask what OEM costs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nobody wants that shit except fleets.

People want baby seal leather seats with heat and AC to keep their fat asses comfortable, 17 speed automatic transmissions that shift as smooth as astroglide, and interiors quiet enough to hear their grandma queef at 90mph.

I wanted a basic no frills truck so I got a 95 Dakota with a V8 and a 5 speed. Done.
View Quote

I'll go with this.

Most of the people I see driving trucks today, don't care about a truck to haul stuff and use for work. They want a status symbol.
They wouldn't be caught dead hauling a load of lumber or dirt, or trash to the dump. And God forbid, they take it down a gravel or dirt road.

It's not my daily driver, but I still have my '95 F-150, because there is no substitute for a good work truck.

BTW: I agree with the OP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$99+ a pop for the front doors.  $200+ for the rear doors.  That's for Dorman aftermarket shit, don't even ask what OEM costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THE HUMANITY

Of the 10~ vehicles I've owned, only one has had window problems, and the motor is $20 on RockAuto.  I've even owned almost exclusively GM's

I should mention that the one vehicle I had with crank windows broke, and was more expensive than the power windows to fix.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Used to be you could get a base model XL Ford Ranger for less than 10K.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top