Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:21:59 AM EDT
[#1]
you aren't getting a truck without all that expensive electronic mechanical shit.  With CAFE standards the way they are trucks are a big problem for manufacturers.   They need to charge you an arm and a leg to get the MPG down on those vehicles to make their government rape numbers.  From what I have heard from some of the coroporate guys for nissan the the elctric vehicles like the leaf and others that are coming out aren't even profitable to the car companies. They just make them so their fleet can meet the standards and they can keep selling what people actually want.  

Best you are going to get is a work truck that has all the same expensive mechanical shit but just has roll up windows , no carpet and no A/C to save you a tiny bit of money.

If you want bare bones you will have to buy an old truck and rebuild it yourself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True, but I think if you could get a full sized, new, solidly built truck for under 20k, a lot of people would buy them as a second vehicle.  Pick ups are great to have, but not if they rival your mortgage payment.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, base equipped trucks are next to impossible to find new.

Because let's face it, who wants one?  Dealers don't stock things that won't turn a profit.

This isn't the 80s or early 90s anymore.  Most people want creature comforts and rolling down your window by hand?

http://claimyourjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/screen-shot-2013-01-20-at-10-26-50-pm.png
True, but I think if you could get a full sized, new, solidly built truck for under 20k, a lot of people would buy them as a second vehicle.  Pick ups are great to have, but not if they rival your mortgage payment.

A bare ass truck would still be 30k.  Gotta pay those pensions somehow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It don't get much more bare bones as this. Of course they're not new that's for sure.

P2210238 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />

P1240421 by plymouth1957, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember when you could order a Toyota truck without even a cigarette lighter, or a Chevy without a rear bumper.  I bet bare bones trucks would sell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It might sell 5k the first year. 2k the next. None the year after. Nobody wants to pay $20k for a new stripper with power nothing, get out and lock the hubs 4x4, and not enough power to get out of its own damn way. Why? Because instead, they can pay $20k and get the last body style of the same thing with 50k on the clock and heated leather seats.

The "I want a frame, cab, box, engine, transmission, and transfer case with a lawn chair for a seat and a vice grip for a steering wheel" crowd is a vocal minority. A very minuscule minority.

ETA: Almost forgot: economies of scale. It would actually be more expensive to produce your sub base model OP, because it would require non-standard parts and non-standard assembly, making it even more expensive to buy than a base model. Where a stripper base truck is say... 23k, your Arf Caveman Special would most likely be MSRP'd at 30k because of the special manufacturing attention it would require.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"What's my payment?"

This is how most people buy cars.  Leather is $20.  Power windows are $10.  A lift, some wheels/tires, tint and truck nuts are $55.
The people who buy cars that way wouldn't be buying a bare bones truck in the first place.

It would be a niche vehicle.  I think it would sell though.

You could get 4WD if you wanted to, but you'd have to get out and lock the hubs.

It might sell 5k the first year. 2k the next. None the year after. Nobody wants to pay $20k for a new stripper with power nothing, get out and lock the hubs 4x4, and not enough power to get out of its own damn way. Why? Because instead, they can pay $20k and get the last body style of the same thing with 50k on the clock and heated leather seats.

The "I want a frame, cab, box, engine, transmission, and transfer case with a lawn chair for a seat and a vice grip for a steering wheel" crowd is a vocal minority. A very minuscule minority.

ETA: Almost forgot: economies of scale. It would actually be more expensive to produce your sub base model OP, because it would require non-standard parts and non-standard assembly, making it even more expensive to buy than a base model. Where a stripper base truck is say... 23k, your Arf Caveman Special would most likely be MSRP'd at 30k because of the special manufacturing attention it would require.

My new SUV didn't even come with carpet. It's about as bare bones as you can get any more.

The other side of it, even a stripper model has to have front,side, airbags and such and all that "kaboom" stuff costs money.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I remember when you could order a Toyota truck without even a cigarette lighter, or a Chevy without a rear bumper.  I bet bare bones trucks would sell.
View Quote
Some people just need a truck semi-regularly, but don't need it as a pimped out luxury vehicle.  I agree.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My new SUV didn't even come with carpet. It's about as bare bones as you can get any more.

The other side of it, even a stripper model has to have front,side, airbags and such and all that "kaboom" stuff costs money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"What's my payment?"

This is how most people buy cars.  Leather is $20.  Power windows are $10.  A lift, some wheels/tires, tint and truck nuts are $55.
The people who buy cars that way wouldn't be buying a bare bones truck in the first place.

You could get 4WD if you wanted to, but you'd have to get out and lock the hubs.

Which one?  Just curious.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Back in 05, I bought a fleet F150.  Rubber floor, manual, 2 door, cranks, V-6 etc.  I paid $12.5k for it.  Was a damn nice truck to be honest.  Had the split seat, center arm rest, a cup holder.  Rode good, stereo was decent (although it didn't even have a tape player, but I don't play tapes/cd/ipod, I just listen to the radio).

I'd buy it again if I was in the market.  Also got decent mileage as it was a V-6 short bed, standard cab 2x4.  The nice thing about that year of truck was that it still had a bit extra behind seat space (with a little door that opened too) for storage.  I'm 6'3" and it had plenty of space.  I actually had to move the seat forward a click or 2 to reach the petals which was nice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:05:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"What's my payment?"

FJ Cruiser. It has some "comfort" stuff but I mostly spent $$$ on stuff like locking diff, Bilsteins, and the like. It's pretty bare bones for vehicles made today, manual seats, levers, I wouldn't have minded L/O hubs myself if offered.

As far as manual crank windows, I think it's cheaper and lighter for manufacturers to just use electric anymore, crank windows are more complicated then people think. Even my old FJ 40 cranks were kind of a PITA if you had to work on them.

On the plus side, someone 6' 8" would still have tons of head room and leg room left in the front.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Imagine rolling down your own windows, in your bench seat, am radio having, leaf spring suspension, two door truck with a manual transmission (column shift!)....that sort of thing.

View Quote

Apart from the manual transmission (which I would prefer) you just described my 2005 F-150.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Like others have said, if you look stuff like that sort of exists in GM's WT trim pickups and Ford's XL trim models. The vehicle dealers in my area carry a few vehicles like that since there are some people like farmers and ranchers who want pickups like that. However, I would agree with what others have said about such a vehicle not selling well because while dealers here will stock them, they don't keep many on hand.

I have a 2012 F250 XL that while being quite a bit more equipped than some of our 30 years pickups is fairly basic. Manual doors and locks, rubber floors, manual lockout hubs, lever shift transfer case, heck they even omitted door pockets. Despite being fairly basic, it is surprisingly comfortable to drive in and for the most part I'm glad I saved a few bucks and went that route for how I use this vehicle. When I think about it, most of the little complaints I have with this pickup would not be solved by going to a higher trim model. The only thing I occasionally miss is cruise control and I kind of wonder if Ford didn't skimp out on sound deadening since I hear more road noise that I thought most people would accept from a modern vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Does Chevy still make their line of "work trucks"? Those are pretty bare bones. Or at least they use to be.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was looking at the bro dozer thread.  80K pick up trucks are crazy.  Even used ones that are modestly equipped are crazy priced these days.

Would there be a market for a full sized, "bare bones" truck in today's market?  No cutting edge tech, the minimum to get it crash proofed and street legal?

I think there would be.  I'm not talking that Kenyan Landrover Knockoff, but something well built, full sized and low cost.

Imagine rolling down your own windows, in your bench seat, am radio having, leaf spring suspension, two door truck with a manual transmission (column shift!)....that sort of thing.

There has to be a market for people who want the utility of a truck, but don't want to pay luxury car prices for them.
View Quote

Put a heavy duty 4 speed on the floor and I'm in for at least one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was looking at the bro dozer thread.  80K pick up trucks are crazy.  Even used ones that are modestly equipped are crazy priced these days.

Would there be a market for a full sized, "bare bones" truck in today's market?  No cutting edge tech, the minimum to get it crash proofed and street legal?

I think there would be.  I'm not talking that Kenyan Landrover Knockoff, but something well built, full sized and low cost.

There has to be a market for people who want the utility of a truck, but don't want to pay luxury car prices for them.
View Quote

Those already exist they just aren't out on the lots. You usually have to contact a fleet dealer. We have TONS of them up here due to the .gov and the north slope companies. That is what they get for company vehicles then sell them at auction stupid cheap after only 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Margin = dealer commission. Fleets = no margin.
Fleet units are always bare bones.

Heck on the heavy duty side of things it'd hard not to find stripped units.

Fun fact. Most cat rental equipment doesn't have a radio in it.
View Quote
But they have gps.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, but most people don't buy their pick ups three at a time....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a market, it's called fleets.

There are trucks out there that are base, 2WD, V-6, manual windows, bench seats.  No way you can get anything with just AM anymore.  And the thing is, you have to look for them, because dealers aren't going to sell a lot of base XL F-150s and W/T Silverados.  I see those at the auto shows because contractors and fleet managers go to those things too.    That said, a few years ago my dad bought a used C2500, it had crank windows, vinyl bench, manual everything and initially just AM/FM, it was a good truck.

Some years ago I ran into a guy who got a bare bones truck by hooking onto a fleet order placed by Drummond.

I discussed this with a co-owner of a Chevy dealership once regarding cars. "People want all the bells and whistles" was her take.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't buy it.

I'ts been my experience that pulling a trailer full of ATV/UTVs, a bed full of gear, and four people in the cab is much more enjoyable with a sound-deadened interior, a 650ft-lbs diesel, AC running full-blast, comfortable seats, and a DVD playing.

But I totally understand it's the MO of Arfcom to be spartan and uncomfortable, because it's manly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Honestly, my next truck is probably going to be a 77-78 F-250 with a 351 and a 4 speed. 4x4 of course. I am a bit sick and tired of the new vehicles and their fancy bullshit that just goes to shit in a few years anyway. Got to love the constant electrical problems I have been having with my lovely GM suv.... I'm going back to classic American awesomeness that was made to last.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I can definitely see the use of one. My grandad passed this month, and now we are all trying to figure out managing property that is 3 hours away. Whenever his old Silverado bites the dust, I wouldn't want anything more than a barebones truck to get through the pastures, haul fencing tools and supplies, feed, etc. I think my dad and I would just as soon get one of those surplus military trucks or similar.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo.  Dad's last truck was this way.  The one before, the CD player got loaded with dust and quit working, the seats ripped, the carpet got destroyed.  Lots of upgrades that ended up not working out so well on a farm truck.

So he went looking for a bare bones 4x4.  Rubber mats, basic radio, crank windows, cloth seats.  

It was a pain in the ass to find one, but he eventually did.  They're out there, but you have to look pretty hard or order one specifically configured as a bare bones truck.

I get the appeal, but most of the consumer base doesn't so they don't make them that way often.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Ram 1500 Express sell like crazy around here.  They are everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly, my next truck is probably going to be a 77-78 F-250 with a 351 and a 4 speed. 4x4 of course. I am a bit sick and tired of the new vehicles and their fancy bullshit that just goes to shit in a few years anyway. Got to love the constant electrical problems I have been having with my lovely GM suv.... I'm going back to classic American awesomeness that was made to last.
View Quote

Then why are you getting a Ford?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Back in the 70s, rear bumpers were a dealer installed option, many would have the dealers name on them, either stamped, engraved or weld metal deposit.

Why?  That was the hitch, and heavier hitches were often requested.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm pretty sure you can still get them. I did seven years ago, a Silverado WT. Standard cab, 8' bed, 2 wd, small v8, manual windows, rubber floor - no carpet, power steering and brakes, AM FM CD with mp3- Ipod plug in. All the madatory shit that can't be avoided, ABS, TPMS. Even then it was hard to find a dealer that believed me when I said I wanted a basic truck. They'll wheel out the 50k trucks every time and tell you they can get you in it for some crazy low price and you'll get tired of saying "I'm not going to use all that shit and I'm not buying one with it".
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#26]
As others have said they're out there.  Fleets still buy them.  Dealers would stock them if their customers would buy them.  They don't.  Having driven my share of fleet trucks I can understand why people don't buy them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Like others have said, if you look stuff like that sort of exists in GM's WT trim pickups and Ford's XL trim models. The vehicle dealers in my area carry a few vehicles like that since there are some people like farmers and ranchers who want pickups like that. However, I would agree with what others have said about such a vehicle not selling well because while dealers here will stock them, they don't keep many on hand.

I have a 2012 F250 XL that while being quite a bit more equipped than some of our 30 years pickups is fairly basic. Manual doors and locks, rubber floors, manual lockout hubs, lever shift transfer case, heck they even omitted door pockets. Despite being fairly basic, it is surprisingly comfortable to drive in and for the most part I'm glad I saved a few bucks and went that route for how I use this vehicle. When I think about it, most of the little complaints I have with this pickup would not be solved by going to a higher trim model. The only thing I occasionally miss is cruise control and I kind of wonder if Ford didn't skimp out on sound deadening since I hear more road noise that I thought most people would accept from a modern vehicle.
View Quote

The lack of door pockets and C/C is aggravating on long trips. I like to transfer my CCW and pocket cargo to the door if I'll be driving a few hours, and can't argue the fuel econ and ticket prevention of cruise.
I'm debating finding a steering wheel and having my PCM flashed to get cruise, probably ought to start scouring the web for XLT door panels as well, since I'll be keeping this thing a while.
I don't know that Ford skimped on sound deadening, but I do know carpet makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I recently went truck shopping and decided to buy a lightly used 2011 GMC Sierra. It has 11.5k miles, 5.3 L engine, Trailer Hitch, Short Bed, Single Cab, 4x4, with manual windows, and vinyl interior and CD player. Oh it has chrome bumpers & Grille too.
I could have ordered a new silverado version but it would have cost like 7-8000 more than the used truck. My truck was about 23k before taxes. GM still makes trucks like this but they are rare, since most people want
the extended cab loaded models, as others have stated.
I have a friend with an F150 about 2008-9 vintage which is a 4x4 single cab, shortbed, with 6 cylinder engine and manual trans. They are out there it seems in some areas of the country they are rarer than in others.
In Indiana single cab trucks are in the minority but are still somewhat common.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I used to own a bare bones 94 Toyota PU.
It was a great truck but...it needed AC, cruise and a limited slip diff.
I would buy a bare bones PU if I could ala carte AC, cruise and a posi.  All the foo-fee crap they load on trucks today is shit that goes wrong when you're 100 mi from civilization and out of cell phone range.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#30]
And I've recently seen a few F-250s v8 gas, 4x4, std cab 8' bed, AC, AM FM CD, power steering, brakes, auto trans, hitting in the 30- 33 k range. Pretty much half what decently loaded one hits for. Tell them that's all your'e going to buy, they'll get you one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm considering building my own, rebuilding an existing truck.  Looking at using a Cummings 4BT engine and 5 speed manual trans.  I've build street rods so I figure it can't be that hard.

Now I just need to find the right donor body.
View Quote

This right here.  When I pay off the house I'd like to drop a 3.3BTA in my 64 FJ45 wagon.  But the 4BT would be perfect for a work truck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a 2004 F-250 4x4 5.4L V8, manual transmission, manual xfer case, and manual hubs. Extended cab, vinyl floor, vinyl bench seat, AM radio, AC, crank windows. It was $18K new at the dealer (in 2003). Spent $500 on an after market radio and speakers and another $1200 on some all-terrain tires and it rocked. It was pine green. I beat the ever loving shit out of that thing. Had to rinse out the floor of the cab multiple times with a hose. No fucks given.

Sold it to buy a truck with an automatic transmission so the wife could pull her horses.

THAT was a truck. Loved it. Designed to be used, abused, and gotten dirty. Definitely not a couch on wheels with TVs in back for windowlickers. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if someone would make one that sparse for that price.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They put more stuff on them than they used to. For example my 06 had crank windows. They 2010 couldnt be had without power windows, locks, and keyless entry.
View Quote

When you're buying power window mechanisms by the tens of millions - and only buying manual window mechanisms by the thousands - there isn't much difference in price between them.

Power locks and keyless entry  allow the manufacturer to omit outside door locks on the passenger side, which helps offset a little bit of their extra cost.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I know bare bones trucks would sale.
I would love to be able to order a late 70's early 80's Ford with a straight 6. Vinyl floor and vinyl bench seat, roll down windows and the little pop open side windows.
I know 6-8 people just in my family and close friends that would buy one today if they were for sale.
I have 2 Dodge trucks sitting in my drive right now that I have $55,000 invested in and I would rather have one of my old Ford's with the inline 6, no electronic windows or locks and an AC that would bring on hypothermia in 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are trucks out there that are base, 2WD, V-6, manual windows, bench seats.  No way you can get anything with just AM anymore.  And the thing is, you have to look for them, because dealers aren't going to sell a lot of base XL F-150s and W/T Silverados.  I see those at the auto shows because contractors and fleet managers go to those things too.    That said, a few years ago my dad bought a used C2500, it had crank windows, vinyl bench, manual everything and initially just AM/FM, it was a good truck.

That's because they don't sell.

You can order a stripped down truck if you want one. They don't make them special for fleets, they will sell them to anyone. It won't have roll down windows or am only radio because those things would raise the price.  Niche vehicles are more expensive because economies of scale bring down the price of more popular offerings.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I know a ton of people that would buy a low trim level, single cab 4x4.

By low trim level I mean vinyl seats, vinyl floor that can be hosed out,  but power windows, locks, a/c and a FM stereo with a CD player, and basic wheels.

A 2wd version of that could be done and brought up to the price point of the 4wd by adding a couple of nicer options, allowing more profit for the dealer.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Every one of these threads has people saying they would buy a truck without all the bells and whistles, but when it is pointed out that they exist, you never see them post pictures of their new truck.  The people who want stripped down trucks never put their money where their mouth is. That's why dealers won't stock them. The soccer moms who want all the luxuries get what they want because they are paying to play. The manufacturers aren't going to cater to the people who want stripped down trucks but they don't want to buy them new. They are available if you really want one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I prefer a "bare-bones" truck.  Rubber floors, manual, manual windows, etc.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I would like to have 4 doors and 2 rows of seats witha short bed but a regular FM radio is fine with me and without all this fancy digital shit and the stuff that jack the price sky high.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#40]
If you're not set on driving a new vehicle why not just look used?  I picked up an 06 Ram 1500 4x4 four door with a Hemi two years ago (so it was about 6 years old at the time) for $14k.  Had 71k on the clock.  It's been nothing short of great and has only needed regular oil changes.  It's got power everything and the only "base" option in it is cloth seats.  Same truck now is well into the high $30k's.  Buying new is something I'll never do again.  This truck is almost paid off and will last me for another 5-6 years at the rate I put miles on it (15-20k/yr).  Being an AZ truck...not a lick of rust on it either...even the frame rails are clean black factory paint.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Gimme a diesel Hilux with AC and a radio and I'd be happy forever
View Quote
Want to feel deprived and resentful?

Go on ebay uk and search for 'Toyota Hilux diesel'.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I tried to buy a truck, sort of what you describe several times.

I didn't want fancy upholstery; it isn't that I didn't want to pay for it; I considered it a negative. I got in dirty, I had my dog with me.................
I didn't want a stereo, I never use it. I NEVER roll down my windows and forbid anybody riding with me to roll down the windows. I definitely didn't want carpet.

I wanted a truck.
I did want AC and would pay a huge premium for AC.

Again, this wasn't about money. It was about what I thought I needed/wanted in a pickup after having owned 4-5 of them. I would have payed MORE to get what I wanted.

They told me that I could order it, but nobody stocked a truck like that because nobody wanted it.

FWIW: at the time I bought my last truck I owned a Z28 and a BMW: I didn't want a luxury pickup. I still own the pickup and still wish it was barebones.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Not having power windows doesn't save you much money at all, and it makes life a little easier.  Might as well have them.

I will gladly pay for AC.

I would love to be able to have no carpet and easy-clean seats, though.  I don't want to have to worrry about muddy shoes and clothes when I get in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I wish the Mahindra trucks would've been imported.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#46]
My daily driver is a 2010 Ranger XL. I can say that after a few years of owning it, I MUCH prefer the vinyl seats and rubber flooring over cloth and carpet that easily stains and discolors. Every vehicle I have owned in the past has been equipped with power windows and locks which the Ranger lacks. The truck is small enough that I truly couldn't care less since faulty or broken window motors and switches are of no concern. I do have tilt steering and cruise control though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not having power windows doesn't save you much money at all, and it makes life a little easier.  Might as well have them.

I would love to be able to have no carpet and easy-clean seats, though.  I don't want to have to worrry about muddy shoes and clothes when I get in.
View Quote

Until the window regulators shit the bed.....I'll stick with power windows....all the power in your arms.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

And I know SUVs aren't the same, but last year, my Dad and I went car shopping to surprise my Mom with a nice newer car.  Her TrailBlazer was falling apart.

We looked at new, basically equipped Chevy Traverses that were $31k OTD.  We bought a 2011 Buick Enclave with a warranty, free maintenance, heated and cooled seats, power liftgate, pretty much every option for the same price as the new Traverse with less options that depreciates 30% the second you drive it off the lot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Until the window regulators shit the bed.....I'll stick with power windows....all the power in your arms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never had a problem with any power window in any vehicle I've ever owned.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  *shrug*

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I bought a new one one pretty close to that in 1995 and hopefully can find another when this one finally dies (hopefully a long ways off).

1995 GMC S1500
4.3L V6
rubber floor
bench seats
manual windows
manual transmission

The add-ons
AC
Cruise/tilt steering
tape deck/AM/FM
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top