BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, there is this guy at work who is always sharing unsolicited personal information. Specifically, that he was Air Force SF and that "its pretty much army infantry except in the air force."

Oh, and he has the bolt face logo on his Brodozer.

Is this stolen valor?

View Quote

If by "Infantry" he means "MP" than he would be correct. It's ok, Army MP's like to tell people they're just like Infantry too. They aren't.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True fact:  Colonel O'Neill was USAF special forces, and he fucking saved the world more times than God.
View Quote

he also left his duty M9 laying around loaded at home and his kid blew his own head off with it.

Plus I'm pretty sure he was fucking around with the gay black alien dude on his squad.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:04:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I find it hilarious how the Air Force is full of pussies and retarded faggots yet 9 out of 10 people in the Air Guard used to be in the Army or Marines. I mean, if these branches of the military are so awesome and manly everybody must have stayed in until mandatory retirement and been forced off post at gunpoint with their 214 in hand, right?

View Quote

I don't think so.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

We can go run anytime. All I ask is you keep my pace and don't stop until I do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless he was CCT or PJ, he's a fucking dipshit.  If he's referring to Security Forces, he should be laughed at and ridiculed until he runs jogs home crying.

This is AF...FIFY.

The dude in OP said "chair force guy claims AF security forces equals infantry".  

Hmmm .... run challenge needs full combat load. Pack, plate carrier, boots, etc. No pt shorts and running shoes sissy stuff if it's to be realistic.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The dude in OP said "chair force guy claims AF security forces equals infantry".  

Hmmm .... run challenge needs full combat load. Pack, plate carrier, boots, etc. No pt shorts and running shoes sissy stuff if it's to be realistic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless he was CCT or PJ, he's a fucking dipshit.  If he's referring to Security Forces, he should be laughed at and ridiculed until he runs jogs home crying.

This is AF...FIFY.

Then do it for 4 to 30 years continuously, often in austere (in the army/navy definition of the word) environments.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Then do it for 4 to 30 years continuously, often in austere (in the army/navy definition of the word) environments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is AF...FIFY.

i guess i suck then.

ETA: I'm still waiting for that DRich guy to chime back in with a "yeah, I'll go jog like those other two dudes".
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't run, it encourages cowardichhhnnnnnggggg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I understand, Tweeter could be a Kenyan if Kenyans could actually run long distance.

I chased an E5 from Cameroon for a couple miles today. Never did catch the little fucker.

Don't run, it encourages cowardichhhnnnnnggggg

I only know two dudes on this board that have run with me for-real.
Objectively, I would honestly have to say that they would agree with you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard the combat breathing today, smelled Ax body spray and 2 Hungry Man dinners.  

I guess sometimes you got to treat yourself
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where is his scroll?

I *heart* this thread.... Bahahaha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SF as in special forces

or

SF as in Security Forces?

One is accurate by what he's saying, not saying he's military, but certain Security Forces jobs are much like infantry.

If he was claiming special forces....he's using the wrong terms:  the AF has combat controllers and para-rescue.

Or an Airforce Ranger.

Yeah those do exist, going back to the 'Nam.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_10_2010/post-16479-1286724332.jpg

Where is his scroll?

I *heart* this thread.... Bahahaha!

How about this one...the MSgt (USAF Security Forces) on the right. I worked with him for a few years on Fort Dix before he went to Benning to become a Ranger School Instructor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I heard the combat breathing today, smelled Ax body spray and 2 Hungry Man dinners.  

I guess sometimes you got to treat yourself
View Quote

See if you can snap a few recon pics of the photos he has in his office.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:25:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:...
  If he is in a Bn, then that would make him a Ranger.

Not trying to piss on the good MSgt's cheerios, but I question what he brings to the school besides having passed the school himself (this is assuming he is Security Forces). If he is a TACP, PJ, etc., I can see a benefit, but I fail to see what a Security Forces person brings to the Army's premier leadership course.

View Quote

He wears a Ranger tab, and that is good enough.

If he is a Ranger School Instructor, he is more than qualified to teach at that school.  The standards for being an instructor at that school are grueling and they demand the very same from their students, no excuses, the best, no-holds-barred.  Side note: most of the instructors have not been assigned to a Ranger Battalion.  This does not make them sub-standard or sub-par instructors.

All of the instructors at that school are Ranger School graduates that have met standards needed to teach at that school.

The fact that he even competed in the Best Ranger Competition speaks volumes.

Just because you haven't been made aware of other branches serving at the Army Ranger School, doesn't mean that they aren't there and that they aren't qualified to perform in those positions.
There are also United States Marine Corps instructors at the Ranger School, they are also fully qualified personnel.

This next piece isn't a rebuttal to you (Skg_Mre...) but an over-arching response to these ridiculous and endless streams of commentary in terms of "I read about it on a wiki page and that means I really know what the fuck is going on"  There are a lot of serious professionals on this board and most of the time we can be taken with a little (OK, a lot) salt... we're sarcastic assholes most of the time.  Roger, got it.
But they usually know what the hell they're talking about.

I enjoy a little gentle prodding at my fellow service members from time-to-time, and I catch my fair share as well, but to put serious consideration into claiming that one is superior in every way to the others is laughable.

I have enjoyed the support in delightful area-denial systems like AC-130 gunships, EOD protection, very professional terminal guidance, and echelons-above-me A-ISR/E-ISR support from the USAF.
I get a massive hard-on for the extremely proficient delivery of attack-air that the USMC and Navy provided on a regular basis when I was in a real crunch.
The large-scale support of Mother Army has been outstanding and I love her for it... you can call me a Mama's boy in that respect.  I'll own up to it.

This isn't a great place to get into a measuring contest to see which branch is the best, all of them bring quite a bit to the collective "table" in terms of supporting and executing combat operations.
If there was one branch that was the best at all of it... there would only be one branch.

There isn't one branch, and that speaks for itself.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 Side note: most of the instructors have not been assigned to a Ranger Battalion.  This does not make them sub-standard or sub-par instructors.

View Quote

I had the pleasure of seeing a batt boy tell an RI he wasn't a real Ranger. I laughed. He didn't. Batt boy didn't graduate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had the pleasure of seeing a batt boy tell an RI he wasn't a real Ranger. I laughed. He didn't Batt boy didn't graduate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Side note: most of the instructors have not been assigned to a Ranger Battalion.  This does not make them sub-standard or sub-par instructors.

I had the pleasure of seeing a batt boy tell an RI he wasn't a real Ranger. I laughed. He didn't Batt boy didn't graduate.

stupid should hurt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Most Army schools have billets for sister services, my MCCC small group class was taught by a Marine major and at airborne school there were Navy and AF instructors.  As for Ranger school each phase has it's own cadre; so you need enough instructors and support staff to handle roughly 300 students.  Since he's a MSGT (E-7) he would filling an E-7 billet and that could range from a lane walker to Operations NCO (IM FreeFall-E7 he was a Ranger School Instructor).  Either way you don't get to be an RI if you are a soup sandwich.

That being said AF SecFor are NOT infantry, they can go to some infantry courses (Ranger, Mortar Leaders Course) but they are geared for base defense not offensive operations, there were some select occurrences were raids were done close to airbases but they more align with Army MPs.  They aren't bad at what they do just don't make it more than what it is.  I've spent time as AF SecFor Officer and carry an MOS as an Army Infantry officer (primary MOS is Civil Affairs) and while a few things may be similar they are way different careers fields.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Understood, and I realize I came off as stirring shit, but that was not my intention.

Out of everyone that has graduated Ranger School, which would make someone an SME on Ranger School, why would the billet be filled by an Air Force Security Forces MSgt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to piss on the good MSgt's cheerios, but I question what he brings to the school besides having passed the school himself (this is assuming he is Security Forces). If he is a TACP, PJ, etc., I can see a benefit, but I fail to see what a Security Forces person brings to the Army's premier leadership course.

If he is a Ranger School Instructor, he is more than qualified to teach at that school.  

Understood, and I realize I came off as stirring shit, but that was not my intention.

Out of everyone that has graduated Ranger School, which would make someone an SME on Ranger School, why would the billet be filled by an Air Force Security Forces MSgt?

That MSgt is from Security Forces, obviously a Ranger grad, Airborne, and other qualifications that are beneficial to the position.  As to why the billet is filled by the AF, leaders can come from all services and specialties. With the need for boots on the ground during the war, there are many 'non-traditional' specialties that gained valuable experience through RFF and ILO taskings. There are also Airborne and SRT instructors that come from Security Forces.
ETA Hawkeye66 beat me to it....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

stupid should hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

stupid should hurt.

I assure you it did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That MSgt is from Security Forces, obviously a Ranger grad, Airborne, and quite a few other qualifications that are beneficial to the position.  As to why the billet is filled by the AF, leaders can come from all services and specialties. With the need for boots on the ground during the war, there are many 'non-traditional' specialties that gained valuable experience through RFF and ILO tasking. There are also Airborne and SRT instructors that come from Security Forces. Even though a good majority of AFSF self-inflict the hate GD seems to have for them, not all Defenders are mouth-breathers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he is a Ranger School Instructor, he is more than qualified to teach at that school.  

That MSgt is from Security Forces, obviously a Ranger grad, Airborne, and quite a few other qualifications that are beneficial to the position.  As to why the billet is filled by the AF, leaders can come from all services and specialties. With the need for boots on the ground during the war, there are many 'non-traditional' specialties that gained valuable experience through RFF and ILO tasking. There are also Airborne and SRT instructors that come from Security Forces. Even though a good majority of AFSF self-inflict the hate GD seems to have for them, not all Defenders are mouth-breathers.

All Global Force Management (GFM) deployment of forces come via a Geographic Combat Commander Request For Force, once the RFF gets to the joint staff and the service HQ GFM Boards.  If the capabilities required cannot  be met fthrough a unit whose METs meet the requirement than the services are tasked to provide a force In Lieu Of a standing force
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]

All Global Force Management (GFM) deployment of forces come via a Geographic Combat Commander Request For Force, once the RFF gets to the joint staff and the service HQ GFM Boards.  If the capabilities required cannot  be met fthrough a unit whose METs meet the requirement than the services are tasked to provide a force In Lieu Of a standing force
View Quote

Absolutely sir.

For the others playing along at home, the USMC and USAF have plenty of skin in the game, they both send plenty of candidates.

It's more than reasonable that they have a fair number of instructors as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, 12 March 2001 in Kuwait changed a lot of things on the Udairi range that day, so did 6 months later when two planes flew into the world trade center.  For the first time in history we saw what you get when you combine two force multipliers (ODAs + JTACs) into a single cohesive unit and what they could do to the mountains of Afghanistan, preventing another Soviet "Vietnam" in Afghanistan.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The requirement for JTACs was a sop  to the Air Force; prior to the 2003 edition of the Joint Pub 3-09.3 there was not a requirement for JTACs.  The bottom line was Air Force wanted to severally limit the accessibility of aerial fire support because of the backlash of numerous, a highly publicized fratricide incidents that occurred in ODS and even during state side training.  The Air Forces going in position was only qualified and certified Air Force (either Forward Air Controllers or Enlisted Terminal Air Controllers) personnel could provide terminal control of Air Force assets in all but extermis conditions.  The Army, with the support of the Marines, was pushing for what was known was being called a universal observer because of the low density of the FAC/ETAC AFSC in the Air Force, so the concession was  to create a joint certification minimum standard  and the JTACs was born.

Having been brought up in the old school, I can see some merit in the JTAC standard because the Army did not do a good job of training its maneuver or fires personnel (only a 2 hour Air Force instructed block and a few SIMCAS missions at the fire school house for the entire OBC class and none for 13Fs in their initial training)  but the rigid adherence to the requirement especially in combat makes no sense.  I think much of what is a JTAC now, should to transitioned to the JFOs.  I could see a need for Type 1 control to be modified, as has been seen in testing over 50 percent of the time even experienced aviators while put in a FAC/ALO role could not through visual cues  determine whether the air craft was a threat to friendlies or not prior to its attack.

Well, 12 March 2001 in Kuwait changed a lot of things on the Udairi range that day, so did 6 months later when two planes flew into the world trade center.  For the first time in history we saw what you get when you combine two force multipliers (ODAs + JTACs) into a single cohesive unit and what they could do to the mountains of Afghanistan, preventing another Soviet "Vietnam" in Afghanistan.  

I don't think our initial small-footprint strategy in Afghanistan should be considered anything but an abysmal failure that lead exactly to a "vietnam" style war--a protracted counter-insurgency.  It is exactly what we shouldn't have done.  It would have been more effective to pay the taliban 50 billion dollars on the down low than to condemn a generation guerrilla warfare in the hindu kush because some idiots believed that air power and a small elite force in conjunction with an utterly corrupt society could accomplish what has traditionally required sizable conventional forces.

Really though, I loved it there...but it was dumb from a foreign policy perspective and the long-term interests of the United States- compared to what could have been.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't think our initial small-footprint strategy in Afghanistan should be considered anything but an abysmal failure that lead exactly to a "vietnam" style war--a protracted counter-insurgency.  It is exactly what we shouldn't have done.  It would have been more effective to pay the taliban 50 billion dollars on the down low than to condemn a generation guerrilla warfare in the hindu kush because some idiots believed that air power and a small elite force in conjunction with an utterly corrupt society could accomplish what has traditionally required sizable conventional forces.

Really though, I loved it there...but it was dumb from a foreign policy perspective and the long-term interests of the United States- compared to what could have been.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The requirement for JTACs was a sop  to the Air Force; prior to the 2003 edition of the Joint Pub 3-09.3 there was not a requirement for JTACs.  The bottom line was Air Force wanted to severally limit the accessibility of aerial fire support because of the backlash of numerous, a highly publicized fratricide incidents that occurred in ODS and even during state side training.  The Air Forces going in position was only qualified and certified Air Force (either Forward Air Controllers or Enlisted Terminal Air Controllers) personnel could provide terminal control of Air Force assets in all but extermis conditions.  The Army, with the support of the Marines, was pushing for what was known was being called a universal observer because of the low density of the FAC/ETAC AFSC in the Air Force, so the concession was  to create a joint certification minimum standard  and the JTACs was born.

Having been brought up in the old school, I can see some merit in the JTAC standard because the Army did not do a good job of training its maneuver or fires personnel (only a 2 hour Air Force instructed block and a few SIMCAS missions at the fire school house for the entire OBC class and none for 13Fs in their initial training)  but the rigid adherence to the requirement especially in combat makes no sense.  I think much of what is a JTAC now, should to transitioned to the JFOs.  I could see a need for Type 1 control to be modified, as has been seen in testing over 50 percent of the time even experienced aviators while put in a FAC/ALO role could not through visual cues  determine whether the air craft was a threat to friendlies or not prior to its attack.

lulz.

outsourced ground power.

you know.  The same sorta smart action that gives you Al Quaeda in charge of Libya and decades long occupations.

Force multipliers still are supporting the base force.

KLA is another great example.

The only true airpower only campaign since WW2 was Eldorado Canyon which brought us, joy of joys, Pan Am 103.

The kool aid runs deep.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Absolutely sir.

For the others playing along at home, the USMC and USAF have plenty of skin in the game, they both send plenty of candidates.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Absolutely sir.

Regularguy was 100 percent correct with his contention of ILOs being a impudence for slots for Ranger school, when the FA was given ILOs to be security and infantry they sent quite a few 13As through the school.  But the RFF was incorrect because all needs are filled via RFFs
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It did exactly what it was supposed to do. When conventional forces became battle space owners, things went to shit.
The majority of conventional units should have started moving out in 2006. It should have been small units conducting FID with their counter parts, with light infantry and light arty left behind with air assets to provide lift and fires.
Mission creep is a bitch, especially when everyone wants to be a chief and no one wants to be an indian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It did exactly what it was supposed to do. When conventional forces became battle space owners, things went to shit.
The majority of conventional units should have started moving out in 2006. It should have been small units conducting FID with their counter parts, with light infantry and light arty left behind with air assets to provide lift and fires.
Mission creep is a bitch, especially when everyone wants to be a chief and no one wants to be an indian.

Afghanistan was fucked from the get-go.

You can't take 20% of a population and put them in charge of a whole nation, with a French style constitution, and expect the 80% with nothing to lose to just go along with it.

As long as Karzai is in charge appointing provincial and district governors, there was no military strategy to unfuck that.
It wasn't big army being battle space owners.
It was Hazarras led by Tajiks killing Pashtoons and pulling Sherzai out of Kandahar.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So, there is this guy at work who is always sharing unsolicited personal information. Specifically, that he was Air Force SF and that "its pretty much army infantry except in the air force."

Oh, and he has the bolt face logo on his Brodozer.

Is this stolen valor?

View Quote

What SG Team was he on?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can somebody tell me if "combat breathing" is the real deal or is it a Range Time with Cory and Erica type thing.

Reminds me of this (skip to 02:10):

Genie

(Non paying members can't embed videos)
View Quote

It's a real thing but it shouldn't sound like you're giving birth.  After a stressful situation you can key down by controlling your breathing.

Inhale normally for 4 seconds, hold for 4, exhale normally for 4 seconds.

If I can hear your "combat breathing" from the next cubicle you're Just being an attention whore. It's not some extreme high speed-low drag shit but it's a good way to get your heart rate back down after a run.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was night and day in the country side when big Army took battle space. Perception became that the US was facilitating the will of a large central gov over the traditional tribal shit. And you know how they love their tribal shit. The Taliban facilitated that perception, and big Army played right into it.
I agree, not allowing ANA to stay in their respective tribal areas was fucked up.  I don't know when that decision happened, but I didn't see the results of it until summer 2005, and I was under the impression that was a big Army idea.
View Quote

I was fortunate in that I got to spend some quality time with both Eikenberry and Bolger.

There was no ANA before 2006, so it was US forces working with indigs.

In 2006 the wheels came off for a number of reasons.
1.  Hazarras led by Tajiks killing Pashtoons.
2.  Sherzai got booted out of Kandahar.  I always thought that was Karzai's move to put AWK in charge.  But it turns out US forces forced Karzai to boot him.  Fucking stupid as hell.
3.  Karzai got to appoint all the District Governors personally.  Fucking disastor
4.  AQ started getting their asses kicked in Iraq and swung back to A-Stan as a priority.

Big army is a bunch of functional retards, agreed.
But nobody was bailing us out of that goat rope.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I was fortunate in that I got to spend some quality time with both Eikenberry and Bolger.

2.  Sherzai got booted out of Kandahar.  I always thought that was Karzai's move to put AWK in charge.  But it turns out US forces forced Karzai to boot him.  Fucking stupid as hell.
3.  Karzai got to appoint all the District Governors personally.  Fucking disastor
4.  AQ started getting their asses kicked in Iraq and swung back to A-Stan as a priority.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was night and day in the country side when big Army took battle space. Perception became that the US was facilitating the will of a large central gov over the traditional tribal shit. And you know how they love their tribal shit. The Taliban facilitated that perception, and big Army played right into it.
I agree, not allowing ANA to stay in their respective tribal areas was fucked up.  I don't know when that decision happened, but I didn't see the results of it until summer 2005, and I was under the impression that was a big Army idea.

I'll add that the gloves came off in Helmand in 08.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:09:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The intercepted signal traffic was the best, "We don't know how to fight them, they don't follow the rules."
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The intercepted signal traffic was the best, "We don't know how to fight them, they don't follow the rules."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't exactly have a lot of rules that go around.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:07:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I was a security police at a sac nuke base we were far from " mall cops" I was 5'10 benched 340lbs and was a m-60 gunner and a 203 gunner , if you called me or any other sp a mall cop you would have got the crap beat out of you ...., just saying

Your M-60 had an M203?

http://www.pistolpetechecklist.com/modweaponimages/modusmg3m60m203right.jpg

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top