User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at a factory refurbished laptop hybrid. Are they really that bad?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a refurb computer once, never again
I'm looking at a factory refurbished laptop hybrid. Are they really that bad?  

I'd check out reviews, if you can.

I've had several refurbs with no problem but you'll never find ANY piece of technology that didn't give somebody somewhere problems.  The best you can do is find stuff with a relatively low instance of issues.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently bought a MacBook and am completely happy with the choice. I do not foresee buying a windows PC  ever again. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Last time (the only time) I bought a refurbished laptop it came preloaded with the previous owners "everything" including his SSN and credit card numbers.
Tiger Direct (over 10 years ago) asked me if it worked, I said yes, they said what's the problem.
View Quote

Shame on that guy for letting a hard drive he used go like that.  Before I sell or recycle an old computer, I pull the hard drive and destroy it.  The risk isn't worth any amount of money you could get for it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently bought a MacBook and am completely happy with the choice. I do not foresee buying a windows PC  ever again. YMMV
View Quote

I don't have the money for a MacBook, and do not want to spend $1000 for a MacBook, then $80 for Parallels, just to have a PC that my company won't support if it won't run their programs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The money I'd be spending for the Lenovo would be less than the Dell with Newegg's warranty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the cash for the Lenovo, I would do that.  Having torn Lenovo and Dell machines down to the system board and given the choice, I'd take the Lenovo.  Plus Lenovo has way better CS than Dell.

The money I'd be spending for the Lenovo would be less than the Dell with Newegg's warranty.

In that case, when will your new Lenovo be arriving?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have the cash for the Lenovo, I would do that.  Having torn Lenovo and Dell machines down to the system board and given the choice, I'd take the Lenovo.  Plus Lenovo has way better CS than Dell.

Sometime this week if I work the phones correctly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't have the money for a MacBook, and do not want to spend $1000 for a MacBook, then $80 for Parallels, just to have a PC that my company won't support if it won't run their programs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus $100 for a copy of Windows 7.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Any particular reason why you want a laptop?

When I want to get serious work done, I always want a real monitor, a full size keyboard, and a mouse.  As such, the laptop doesn't provide much utility for me unless I am traveling.  Desktops have great airflow and are quite easy to swap parts out on if something goes wrong or you feel the need to upgrade.  As for AMD or Intel, I always go with Intel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I want to get serious work done, I always want a real monitor, a full size keyboard, and a mouse.  As such, the laptop doesn't provide much utility for me unless I am traveling.  Desktops have great airflow and are quite easy to swap parts out on if something goes wrong or you feel the need to upgrade.  As for AMD or Intel, I always go with Intel.
View Quote

That's what I'm used to working on.  At my previous job I've gone over to my sister's at times to work and it's easier to throw the laptop in the bag and go.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you get, don't get a 5400 RPM hard drive. The Dell may come with one, and the Lenovos linked have them.

My Toshiba is great but the drive is so damn slow it takes forever to boot. I've been considering an SSD but I don't know how easy it is to ghost the hdd image to a new drive. My laptop has a grey market cable I can get to use my existing drive as a secondary.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My 17" Toshiba has a huge screen and a full-size keyboard, and I use an external mouse. You do have a point about parts, see my previous post about adding a second HDD.

Now the only thing I use for work is my phone. If I had become an OTR driver then this thing would be riding along with me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#14]
amd cpu
sealed battery
lenovo wifi card

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
amd cpu
sealed battery
lenovo wifi card

View Quote

I have the exact same processor in a Windows 8/8.1 machine(granted the A6 on the machine I'm typing this on is smaller at 2.2GHz) and outside of one issue where I am convninced it was a driver issue that meant I had to "refresh" my system to an earlier restore point, I haven't had any issues.
Not sure what the sealed battery significance is.
I'll be using this machine on a LAN connection with a LAN cable in a home office.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have the exact same processor in a Windows 8/8.1 machine(granted the A6 on the machine I'm typing this on is smaller at 2.2GHz) and outside of one issue where I am convninced it was a driver issue that meant I had to "refresh" my system to an earlier restore point, I haven't had any issues.
I'll be using this machine on a LAN connection with a LAN cable in a home office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
amd cpu
sealed battery
lenovo wifi card

Bigger pain to change out the battery when it's lifespan is over. (have to ship the computer to lenovo)  Also can't swap out batteries, for a longer portable runtime.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bigger pain to change out the battery when it's lifespan is over. (have to ship the computer to lenovo)  Also can't swap out batteries, for a longer portable runtime.
View Quote

It's going to be plugged in 100% of the time, just like a regular PC.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
You did good. That's a good price for a laptop of its class from a reliable manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Why no 8.1?

Install a simple app, have a product improved 7.

I don't get the silliness about this, to be honest.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why no 8.1?

View Quote

I alreaqdy posted this earlier but:
The company I work for will not support 8.1.  Period.  End of story.

I'm not so sure what's "silly" about having a machine with 7.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why no 8.1?

Eh, because 8 is better, except for the interface, which is easily remedied?

As far as your company not supporting it, that's all you had to say.

Have a great day.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I assume you already ordered?

I have a 3 year old Lenovo Y460 i5 520m (2 cores with hyperthreading so it acts like 4 cores) and it even has a dedicated ATI graphics card. It can actually run Crysis. I upgraded it to 8gb of ram.  I never use the thing since I got a Microsoft Surface and could give you a good price on it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I assume you already ordered?

I have a 3 year old Lenovo Y460 i5 520m (2 cores with hyperthreading so it acts like 4 cores) and it even has a dedicated ATI graphics card. It can actually run Crysis. I upgraded it to 8gb of ram.  I never use the thing since I got a Microsoft Surface and could give you a good price on it.
View Quote

I did, thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top