Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I meant that "they were not depot rebuilt to make ready for sale/distribution." They look like they were used up until recently and then simply stripped and driven to us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

The vehicles will be fully serviced and probably depot rebuilt.  Not good as new BUT damn close.   Sometimes the contractors they hire to service/rebuild the equipment are shitty but odds are you will get good trucks.  The Army is very by the book when it comes to releasing serviceable equipment.

Just got back from inspecting two of the Humvees. They are most definitely not "depot rebuilt." It looks like they were simply stripped of anything not vehicle-specific (radios, etc) and parked. One is a 2009 and the other is a 2004. The '09 is in better shape than the '04, as would be expected.

Pics incoming.

Yes they were, you can see on the data plate when they were re-manufactured.

That truck is from the 80's or early 90's.

I meant that "they were not depot rebuilt to make ready for sale/distribution." They look like they were used up until recently and then simply stripped and driven to us.

If that's really the case then I'd jump all over them, use the, and sell them in 7 years for a profit. A 1025 is a weapons carrier, hence the racks in the back. That grit looks like standard Fort Drum tank trail dust, it builds up. Pyres sure wash it out and it will look different.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You know FD's have been using hummer's since the day they hit the scene right?

http://www.emergencyrigs.net/users%5C14%5C1280_0001273.jpg  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does an FD want a military truck? Are they trying to play soldier?

Fully aware. They don't need military trucks to do their job. Who are they preparing to fight?

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around our department owning a real-deal military Humvee and then possibly selling it to whomever wants to buy it (after seven years, of course).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around our department owning a real-deal military Humvee and then possibly selling it to whomever wants to buy it (after seven years, of course).
View Quote

Honestly, that's long term, you don't need to really worry about that right now. Are the vehicles local to you now? What will transport costs be? Honestly, seems like a pretty good deal. Be aware, those hard tops and turret leak like a sieve, invest in tarps to keep them covered when not in use.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honestly, that's long term, you don't need to really worry about that right now. Are the vehicles local to you now? What will transport costs be? Honestly, seems like a pretty good deal. Be aware, those hard tops and turret leak like a sieve, invest in tarps to keep them covered when not in use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were driven to our town this week and are literally five minutes from where I sit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They were driven to our town this week and are literally five minutes from where I sit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can get you the name of the shop that does the paint work in West Haven if you like. honestly, check your local shops, many will donate their time on projects like this if you let them use it for their portfolio and for advertising. Pay materials only, not a bad gig...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I want a weapons carrier bad.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH NOES militierization of da FD

http://indianafiretrucks.com/pictures/greene/taylor_township/brush-11-ds.jpg
FD's have been modding out old military vehicles for a long time. Especially broke ass rural VFDs.

I have been eyeballing a pair of them that are for sale up the road.  They are deceptively large though.  I drove a converted brush truck once and it was a fucking chore.  Not a haha fuck around truck
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fully aware. They don't need military trucks to do their job. Who are they preparing to fight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're laying it on way too thick to be believable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a dollar that says that most of the fire trucks you'll be able to find pictures of started life as an H1 rather than an M-anything.  They are no more militarization of fire departments than Arnold's was militarization of future governors,
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't worry, the honeymoon ends quick.

It's just a big pickup with big tires and a shitty uncomfortable interior.

On the flip side, that makes them pretty good at emergency response.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP is laying red paint on his trucks of oppression.

Bet he wears cargo pants, too.

Quoted:

I have a dollar that says that most of the fire trucks you'll be able to find pictures of started life as an H1 rather than an M-anything.  They are no more militarization of fire departments than Arnold's was militarization of future governors,

Doubt an FD would pay the kind of money an h1 is asking.

They're MILITARY trucks, man. MILITARY. Wobblin's have armor on them. Why does a Fire Department need ARMORED GUN TRUCKS?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have been eyeballing a pair of them that are for sale up the road.  They are deceptively large though.  I drove a converted brush truck once and it was a fucking chore.  Not a haha fuck around truck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH NOES militierization of da FD

http://indianafiretrucks.com/pictures/greene/taylor_township/brush-11-ds.jpg
FD's have been modding out old military vehicles for a long time. Especially broke ass rural VFDs.

My project truck is turning into an m1026
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Doubt an FD would pay the kind of money an h1 is asking.

They're MILITARY trucks, man. MILITARY. Wobblin's have armor on them. Why does a Fire Department need ARMORED GUN TRUCKS?
View Quote

I never have figured out what kind of armor the early Humvees had.  Swiss cheese armor, perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:54:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I never have figured out what kind of armor the early Humvees had.  Swiss cheese armor, perhaps?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Paper ass thin Kevlar.   Never meant to stop more than light fragments.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only the m1025/26 and m1043/44/45/46 vehicles. Kevlar door body with a steel plate over it and various steel plate embedded in the body of the vehicle.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Looked to me like the doors and hood were all made of fiberglass. They were pretty flimsy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looked to me like the doors and hood were all made of fiberglass. They were pretty flimsy.
View Quote

There are armor plates in the cab and sponsons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
lots of work but they're suposidly easy to work on

humvees (vice MRAPs) make decent police and fire vehicles - any places you need to drive to that are far offroad?

not sure where in CT you are but if it's mostly urban/suburban they may not be much use besides for some minor flooding
View Quote

They are very easy to work on and, yes, the older ones did break a lot

<---- former 63B  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
The ones they got here were really nice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
If the recent enacted  EPA regulations state that military surplus can no longer be sold to civilians then why to various agencies? Isn't this a direct contradiction to the EPA regulation and once again shows bias against the serfs?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If the recent enacted  EPA regulations state that military surplus can no longer be sold to civilians then why to various agencies? Isn't this a direct contradiction to the EPA regulation and once again shows bias against the serfs?
View Quote

Its made before the emissions standards
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've got a dollar that says most of those were H1 Hummers and not HMMWVs.  They were the thing to get for departments that had more money than sense for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've got a dollar that says most of those were H1 Hummers and not HMMWVs.  They were the thing to get for departments that had more money than sense for a while.

I didn't know there was a difference. Is one the civilian and one military?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Our cabin owner association would jump all over them....

This is what we currently have up on the mountain.   We built a community building to house them during the winter, and the nearest Fire dept(1.5hr away) says they are going to give us newer trucks this year.    We currently pay for and maintain our trucks, if we get the newer ones, we won't have to do that anymore.  

</a>IMG_20140810_135126_519 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a>IMG_20140810_135701_586 by guns762, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

umm fire
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#28]
What pisses me off is that the fed.gov will not auction off surplus HMMWV's to the public.

It keep the prices of ones already in civilian hands in the 35K to 40K range, when they should be around 3K at auction given the amount built.

Same engine/tranny as a M998

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fire threat matrix is ever evolving. Shifts in the way fire spreads and recruits as well as the possibility for fire cells to infiltrate our borders and pop up years later make these vehicles necessary.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Us cops have enlisted their help wielding the iron boot of oppression
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sold on the idea, A) because we don't really have a need for one (even though it's free),

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Unless it's obviously prohibitive (crypto devices etc...) it should all be available for sale to the public.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enlisted? I think they're just jealous of the badge.

Ultimate badge bunnies...fire fighters.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fire departments can put vehicles like this to excellent use. IMO, better than police departments in many ways. They make for great disaster response vehicles, or rescue vehicles for rough terrain. In fact, I have witnessed this first hand. In the April 27 Tornado that hit Tuscaloosa, our area was one of the hardest hit, and emergency crews could not reach our area for several hours. Regular rescue vehicles had no way of making it into our area. Hell, a logging company ended up helping clear roads with a grapple skidder. After a few hours, with help from us clearing roads with personal equipment, a FD crew was able to make their way into our area using a Humvee modified for rescue operations. And this was at roughly 10 PM... The tornado hit us around 4 or so... So yes, FD's have a very legitimate use for vehicles like this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fire departments can put vehicles like this to excellent use. IMO, better than police departments in many ways. They make for great disaster response vehicles, or rescue vehicles for rough terrain. In fact, I have witnessed this first hand. In the April 27 Tornado that hit Tuscaloosa, our area was one of the hardest hit, and emergency crews could not reach our area for several hours. Regular rescue vehicles had no way of making it into our area. Hell, a logging company ended up helping clear roads with a grapple skidder. After a few hours, with help from us clearing roads with personal equipment, a FD crew was able to make their way into our area using a Humvee modified for rescue operations. And this was at roughly 10 PM... The tornado hit us around 4 or so... So yes, FD's have a very legitimate use for vehicles like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The police here do as much disaster response and rescue as the fd.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So go and buy a non-scary civilian truck and stop trying to play soldier. It's bad for cops and it should be bad for firemen too!

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So go and buy a non-scary civilian truck and stop trying to play soldier. It's bad for cops and it should be bad for firemen too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop liking what I don't like?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that but we can't leave any golden goose uncooked.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. We are normally on scene long before the FD
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SO I have a 60K budget for the year. I can do without or get something for free. The choice is was easy for me
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
SO I have a 60K budget for the year. I can do without or get something for free someone else can pay for it. The choice is was easy for me
View Quote

Small fix.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Small fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SO I have a 60K budget for the year. I can do without or get something for free someone else can pay for it. The choice is was easy for me

Small fix.

I'm supposed to feel bad about a vehicle given to me by the feds that cost them $127 back in 1989 then spent $310 in tax payer money to get it in service?
Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Guess what I did this afternoon....

And where I went....

ETA:
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Guess what I did this afternoon....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/FromInside.JPG

And where I went....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/InBay.JPG

ETA:
View Quote

those are kinda fun to drive aren't they?

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, at least for the looks I got from other drivers.

BTW, the transfer case shifter shows "HL H N L."

What's HL and H? Obviously it's high range, but is one 4x4 and not the other or something?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Small fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small fix.

Kept the tax payers from being hosed on paying for a vehicle twice.

Word, homie
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What's HL and H? Obviously it's high range, but is one 4x4 and not the other or something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

High and high lock. Only use high lock in low traction environments.

Eta for more info.

The HMMWV transfer case has the following gear ranges.

HL = High Lock - Used on hard surfaces when equal torque is needed at all wheels. Turn radius is affected greatly. Can be used for highway travel. DO NOT USE IN REVERSE. Damage to the transfer will happen.

H = High - Used in foward and reverse. Used for normal conditions. Torque management is 30% front/70% rear to allow full function of the steering system without damage to the CV joints.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd love a Humvee for a grass fire rig, put a remote nozzle on the front, 500 gallons in the back with a 20hp diesel pump, it would kill a lot of grass fires.  Pricing a 4wd pickup grass rig, came in at about $120,000.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top