User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

686 Tyson
683 Lee

So as of right now, this is more neck & neck than beans or no beans, or 9mm or .45.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are people actually going with Bruce Lee in this hypothetical?

686 Tyson
683 Lee

So as of right now, this is more neck & neck than beans or no beans, or 9mm or .45.

Or the most obvious.
683 people are clueless delusional dreamers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Or the most obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

686 Tyson
683 Lee

Or the most obvious.

So at any given time about 50% of GD is fucking retarded.  Got it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Or the most obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

686 Tyson
683 Lee

Or the most obvious.

Or they've simply never fought someone bigger than them.

Or littler than them.

Or at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

686 Tyson

683 Lee

Or the most obvious.

It has to be way higher than that...

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
This guy would fucking pound Lee into paste.

And probably take his wife afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Or littler than them.

Or at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

686 Tyson
683 Lee

Or the most obvious.

Or littler than them.

Or at all.

Or you can't accept the fact that the other half of the people that voted might be right in this hypothetical fantasy fight that you are giving yourself high blood pressure over
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You guys are fucking nuts.  Tyson would destroy him.
View Quote
Guys on Lee's side are Hoolywood koolaiders.

Lee was an actor 1st, martial artist second.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
-

Or you can't accept the fact that the other half of the people that voted might be right in this hypothetical fantasy fight that you are giving yourself high blood pressure over
View Quote

lol

I'm entertained by the dumb, not worked up over it.  I am amused by putting forth real fighters again and again, and yet still seeing there are people who've read at least the last couple pages who would still say that somehow a 150 pound actor could best a 240 pound professional fighter.

Or did Bruce Lee know the dim mak touch?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I cannot help but wonder how many of the alleged Bruce Lee fans are merely trolling.    90% ?       60%. ?        

10%?

I'm tempted to start another thread to find out who really, REALLY believes that BL would have a chance.  

It's a silly debate, but it opens up a fascinating window into the perceptions and attitudes of our fellow fight fans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LOL, you guys are so ignorant about Bruce Lee. The way he trained others can't do it, this is why he's such a powerhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFw7qON-Vgs
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rare footage from another dimension where Tyson and Lee meet and face off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqGNITWIEc

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:48:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I cannot help but wonder how many of the alleged Bruce Lee fans are merely trolling.    90% ?       60%. ?        

10%?

I'm tempted to start another thread to find out who really, REALLY believes that BL would have a chance.  

It's s silly debate, but it opens up a fascinating window into the perceptions and attitudes of our fellow fight fans.
View Quote

Could be some trolldom, but there are still people putting up an active defense of Lee in these 14 pages... which is something he wouldn't do well against Tyson.

Or there are just a lot of people who saw Serenity and think 85-pound Summer Glau could really kick their asses, too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you base that on?  I am also seeing a lot of MMA koolaid.
But yeah, Tyson would pummel Bruce Lee, and then probably try to eat all the pieces.  I just voted for Lee to piss off the Annatrocity dorks.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys I am torn, After doing some research and seeing that Bruce did actually fight and most fights were measured in sec, I do not know how it would turn out.  Bruce did get into street fights, hit guys that did not even know they were hit until they started bleeding.

If Tyson was lucky enough to land a shot early maybe but Bruce could break ribs with one kick so would almost come down to who landed the first power shot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps relevant to this thread:

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A good grappler might have had a decent chance against Mike Tyson.  Bruce Lee would not last long against a boxer or a grappler.
View Quote

You try grappling with Tyson and you are going to lose an ear or two.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I only voted for Bruce Lee because '70s
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I only voted for Bruce Lee because '70s 14'er.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I only voted for Bruce Lee because '70s
View Quote

70s did make some things cooler... you do have a point.

Not one that would help in a fight, but one that helps to explain the voting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guys I am torn, After doing some research and seeing that Bruce did actually fight and most fights were measured in sec, I do not know how it would turn out.  Bruce did get into street fights, hit guys that did not even know they were hit until they started bleeding.
If Tyson was lucky enough to land a shot early maybe but Bruce could break ribs with one kick so would almost come down to who landed the first power shot.
View Quote

That's my point, Bruce is too fast for Tyson to land a blow on him, he'll break his arm if he wished to. Someone said he's an actor first them MA, you got that backward, Bruce's been training most of his life before he decided to act.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I dunno, kind of a treadmill type question, although I think Tyson would kill him, in or out of the ring.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
So apparently they were both championship boxers.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Forget Bruce Li.       That's not a matchup, it's an execution.    Get serious for a moment.

Tyson Vs. Fedor.   In their prime.  In the cage.  No rules.   Both fighter are tough and absolutely brutal.   Both had that animal killer instinct.   But highly trained and deceptively fast and hard hitting.    Both quick to exploit a moment of weakness.  

In addition, both had that spooky ability to deliver precise hits at full power, not where the target is, but where it's going to be.          That's what really fascinates me about these two.

Tyson had that instinctual animalistic feral rage, and Fedor had the cold intelligence to take men apart like a surgeon.    

I would give anything to see them fight.     I hope somebody is preserving their DNA so we can clone them one day.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I can say that Tyson's a powerful fella, lots of muscles but what good is it if he can't hit Bruce? Bruce did not train to put mass in his muscles because muscle has weight and slows you down. He kept his muscle supple and strong, like a sapling as opposed to a mighty oak. The way Bruce trained he built the muscles in his whole body. He may be small but strong as an animal. An animal is not easy to fight, Bruce is a human animal but with smarts.

I got interested in Bruce when I saw his first movie Fist Of Fury. I know it's just acting but the way he carried himself was something I never saw before. He's very agile and fast. I've read books and magazines about him (that was before the net) and he was unique. Despite what was said on how Bruce died I think he died from stress. He pushed himself to where his body can't take it anymore. Bruce was only 33 years old.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL

How can half of arfcom think Bruce Lee has a chance?  Tyson in his PRIME was the baddest man on the planet.  I honestly don't know if anyone could have withstood that uppercut of his, his opponents in the ring sure as hell didn't, and they had mouthpieces in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

His fights have almost no evidence to back them up. His one actual documented fight landed him in the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
His fights have almost no evidence to back them up. His one actual documented fight landed him in the hospital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A motorcycle wreck landed him in the hospital, never heard of a fight doing so.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's my point, Bruce is too fast for Tyson to land a blow on him, he'll break his arm if he wished to. Someone said he's an actor first them MA, you got that backward, Bruce's been training most of his life before he decided to act.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lee's base style was wing chun, a style that never did well in MMA. While he studied other stuff and created JKD, most of his influences (with some exceptions like boxing and judo) were styles that were really based upon theory, not full force competition. If Lee really grasped what worked he would have trained a lot more grappling.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Since this thread is still peopled by 50.1% retarded troll fantasy loving polyhedral dice rolling magic card flipping LARP maniacs lets break it on down all the way. The only Asian martial artist that would have given Tyson a fight lived significantly before Lee and he would only have won if he had his swords.

Miyamoto Musashi
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought he ended there after the Wong Jack Man fight. Looking it up best I can tell neither were hurt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since this thread is still peopled by 50.1% retarded troll fantasy loving polyhedral dice rolling magic card flipping LARP maniacs lets break it on down all the way. The only Asian martial artist that would have given Tyson a fight lived significantly before Lee and he would only have won if he had his swords.

Miyamoto Musashi
http://www.andysowards.com/blog/assets/Samurai_by_lubliner-680x1013.jpg?b91b38
View Quote

He was good with sticks, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#33]
There is some weird mystique about Bruce Lee, I'm not convinced he could even fight. He'd get torn to shreds against the best in the world today at his weight, let alone putting him against Mike Tyson in his prime.

It'd be like Urijah Faber fighting Jon Bones Jones.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:11:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I thought he ended there after the Wong Jack Man fight. Looking it up best I can tell neither were hurt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he just went away all hacked off that he didn't tear the guy to pieces in shorter order, then re-doubled the training.

I think that one and another against an untrained guy that would later become a student were the only ones verified as happening by witnesses.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think the major thing it showed was how well BJJ works. Now that its a staple for most MMA fighters, I wouldn't expect the same results.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before UFC had weight classes, it showed that size does not mean all that much in an all-out no rules fight, there are many examples of smaller guys beating larger guys (Gracie over Severn).

I think the major thing it showed was how well BJJ works. Now that its a staple for most MMA fighters, I wouldn't expect the same results.

More generally, what it showed was:

1) Grappling and groundfighting skills are core skills you must have as a fighter.

2) Full contact combat sports work, non-contact "martial arts" don't.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Before UFC had weight classes, it showed that size does not mean all that much in an all-out no rules fight, there are many examples of smaller guys beating larger guys (Gracie over Severn).

View Quote

Severn dominated most of the fight, which IIRC was about 18 minutes. Gracie's submissions won it in the end, but if Severn knew submissions or used GnP it would not have worked out so well for the smaller guy.

I suspect modern MMA, where everyone knows subs and has some ground game and some standup, no weight classes would mean domination by heavyweights.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm simply amazed at how many people think that Tyson was slower just because he's  a big black guy.

He was spooky fast.  He could reach out and punch bigger guys right in the face before they could react.  Tier 1 Professional boxers who were known for being fast in their own right.   I had to replay the hits a couple times just to see them.        

Watch some of the fights posted and stop living in fantasy land.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#38]
... a perfect tie @ 704 votes each at this point

Wow
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think Lee would have side stepped Tyson, kicked in his knee from the side, and it would have been game over for mike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boxing isn't street fighting.

Outside of the ring I'd put my money on martial arts.

yeah most likely.  However 1 hit from MT and Bruce would be out cold.  

In his prime, Tyson wins. Bruce couldn't inflict enough damage to put iron mike down and all Tyson would have to do is connect once and Lee would be out

I think Lee would have side stepped Tyson, kicked in his knee from the side, and it would have been game over for mike.

This^^^

Physics applies to bones and especially to fragile joints. There are parts of the body that take very little force to damage severely, regardless of the muscle mass of the beast bearing them. Lee had the speed and finesse to inflict that damage. That being said, luck always plays a part and if Tyson ever got close enough to get a grip on Lee, things would probably end differently.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A professional boxer with a significant weight advantage vs an actor with no known professional fights. Hmmm...
View Quote

Dunno. Lee was pretty well known as a street fighter in his youth. His later immersion in martial arts only refined those skills. He was a real fighter long before he became a martial artist or an actor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

all I did was reference the wikipedia article.

I respect bruce lee's abilities.  But to compare him against an actual professional fighter with 100 pounds on him?  Thats silly.

Don't confuse actual knowledge of the man with the myth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
he had one fight, which no one witnessed, which either took 3 minutes or 30 minutes, and which lee refused a rematch challenge.

lee was an actor and self-promoter.

I'm calling BS on this. BL was highly respected by many top martial artists and other fighters. Sugar Ray Leonard was impressed with his skills. The man was a workout animal and constantly strived to acquire knowledge and skill.
I don't really GAF about the Tyson vs. Lee topic, but to denigrate Lee this way is showing a lack of knowledge about the man.

all I did was reference the wikipedia article.

I respect bruce lee's abilities.  But to compare him against an actual professional fighter with 100 pounds on him?  Thats silly.

Don't confuse actual knowledge of the man with the myth.

I have no dog in the fight, ref. the original topic. Just making an observation as to BL's background. God knows how far he would of gone had he lived a full life. His attitude towards training, etc.,. were far thinking.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There has never been a striker even remotely in Tyson's league in MMA. The "bjj beats strikers" folks need to realize that elite strikers don't do MMA- not because they can't win, but because boxing pays better.
View Quote

Yeah, that's the rationalization.

In early MMA Royce was probably no more "elite" then Art Jimmerson. BJJ had a very shallow talent pool. Yet Royce dominated Art. And it wasn't because Art wasn't a good enough boxer, it really didn't much matter what level of boxing skill he had.

Now, Tyson is another matter. He would have been scary in early MMA, due to his strength, agressiveness, etc. Not so much because of his elite striking, but because of the whole package.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

1) Grappling and groundfighting skills are core skills you must have as a fighter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

Man for man, today's top UFC fighters are different animals than the top when UFC started. Well versed in typically two or three disciplines. Anyone remember when Royce Gracie fought Matt Hughes? That was pretty ugly - Gracie was one dimensional.

#2 above hits the nail on the head. Combat sports work, plain and simple.

Mike Tyson would have been an MMA god. I have never been a boxing fanboy, but he was tier 1 bad ass.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

5' 7½" 146lb  Bruce.

5' 10"  240 lbs Tyson.

The sheer size difference is insane.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just watch the first few UFCs to see what happens when boxers without any knowledge of how to fight on the ground come up against against people who do have that knowledge. Boxing does not closely approximate anything-goes fighting. It's too limited by its rules.
View Quote

BJJ is also a sport, with limiting rules. However, the core unarmed fighting skill is grappling, not striking. Pure grappler >> pure striker.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I think the poll is fairy accurate

It would be 50/50.

Each in his prime was the epitome. Bruce Lee had 80% of Mike Tysons muscle mass with twice the skill in his prime.
View Quote
If you're retarded.

Bruce Lee had 8% of Mike Tysons muscle mass with 8% the skill in his prime. At best.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:28:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

just read it.

he had one fight, which no one witnessed, which either took 3 minutes or 30 minutes, and which lee refused a rematch challenge.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By whitessp:
Tyson in his prime was a MURDERER.  He had the fastest and hardest hitting punches the world had ever seen.  And he was technically superior to just about everyone.  

Bruce Lee was an actor, and 100lbs less than Tyson.  

You have no clue who Bruce Lee was.

Try Wikipedia.

just read it.

Lee also quit wing chun after that fight, and developed JKD. Hmmm.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:35:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By whitessp:
Tyson in his prime was a MURDERER.  He had the fastest and hardest hitting punches the world had ever seen.  And he was technically superior to just about everyone.  

Bruce Lee was an actor, and 100lbs less than Tyson.  

You have no clue who Bruce Lee was.

Try Wikipedia.

just read it.

actors.....don't hit back
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm simply amazed at how many people think that Tyson was slower just because he's  a big black guy.

He was spooky fast.  He could reach out and punch bigger guys right in the face before they could react.  Tier 1 Professional boxers who were known for being fast in their own right.   I had to replay the hits a couple times just to see them.        

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...
Most of Tyson's opponents had 6-10 inches of reach and 4 or 5 inches in HT on him which is HUGE in boxing.
The fact that he still KO'd everybody is amazing. His hand speed and lateral movement were huge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, he was a magical fucking kung fu fairy that the laws of physics did not apply to.  The retardedness in this thread is simply amazing.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top