Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2001 3:48:38 PM EDT
There is a gun show in Atlanta this weekend. I live in South Carolina. A buddy of mine has a bunch of estate guns he wants to sell. Can we get a table at the show & sell private sale there? I say yes only because it is private sale. My friend is a bit more cautious than me & wants more clarification (smart). So any way, whats the scoop? Can we sell there without being in Violation of any laws?
Scott
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding of the law is, if you and your buddy are SC residents, you must sell to another SC resident in a private transaction. If you cross state lines, you must go through a FFL.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any expertise in this area, but I think that is correct - any interstate transfer of firearms requires a FFL.  There may be some loophole I am not aware of for private estate sales - you can contact the gunshow sponsor (Georgia Mountain) and I'm sure they will quickly clarify.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmmmm.
Don't take this as legal advice, but I am under the impression that so long as the gun is legal in the state you are selling it in, you can privatley transfer guns to residents of bordering states.
I'm pretty sure on that.
Ask Steve in VA in the legal section.
He'll know.
Nice guy too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top