Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's changed. I see more people in the workplace with tats and piercings and it is definitely more accepted than it was 25 years ago.

I have 5 tats on my forearms and two on one hand, the rest are on my biceps and shoulders. I was in the Corps and planned to be a career Marine. I got hurt and had to get out.

I applied for a job as a chef, wore a suit to the interview and got hired. Well, it was in Florida and a kitchen is not exactly a long sleeve environment, so I showed up in short sleeves. The guy who hired me didn't recognize me and then said, "Oh yeah, so I wanted to try you out for a few hours and see how you are against another candidate."

Being young and naive I worked my ass off and gave him 8 hours worth of work inside of 4 hours. He called me the next day and said "Uh yeah, I'm going to go with the other guy, he has a little more experience." He mailed me a check for the 4 hours and that was it.

It was the tats.

Since then I've worked for a lot of different places in blue collar and white collar roles. No matter the weather I wear long sleeve shirts for about 6 months until they get to know me.

Nowadays, I earn a six figure salary, was a second line district manager for a major telecom corporation, brokered multimillion dollar deals with foreign governments for another and am known for producing results. Bottom line, that is what employers care about, unless you want to be a chef in a Florida greasy spoon or a grease monkey in a Les Schawb tire shop like someone else mentioned. Most jobs where you face the public and have to be concerned about visible tats require a hairnet and a name tag anyway.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if having a sleeve makes employment any more difficult these days. Any particular field?
I want to know before I get the first piece done-thanks!
View Quote

not if you're willing to wear long sleeve shirts. then feel them out as you go later.
if you've proven to be an asset by the time you tell them, and you are not customer facing,
you may be ok. if not? long sleeves for 8 hours a day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tatoos are a generational thing. People my age (I'm 69) were brought up thinking that tatoos were low-class and trashy, things that sailors and gangsters did.

I guess that's changed over the last 20 or 30 years, with college kids getting tatoos. But keep in mind that the older people are still doing the hiring.

If I was doing hiring, and I was presented with two equally qualified applicants. one with tatoos and one without, I wouldn't hire the inkie. Maybe I'm prejudiced, or maybe there are still too many negative associations in my mind.

If you're insisting on getting tatoos (WHY?), at least get them in such a way that they can be hidden.

Putting tatoos on a human body is like spraying graffiti on a beautiful building. All they can do is detract.
View Quote

+1
I'm Merchant Marine for 36 years, my Father was Navy WW2, my Grandfather was Navy WW1. Not a single Tattoo. I have some good friends with extensive tats but I always wonder about the mentality of someone all inked up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ask yourself this:  You're the hiring guy.  Two applicants come in, both equally qualified.  One has idiotic cartoons scrawled all up & down his arms, reflecting poor life choices.  Which one do you hire?

Act accordingly.
View Quote

reflecting poor life choices? and if they are combat arms tats ? how about if each one indicates a certification ?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

gosh !! look at all of those poor life choices !
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two step sons.
Their father owns a tatoo shop. I sometimes wonder if there is any part of their bodies that are not inked.

The answer to the OP's question is YES.

One works at home/computer stuff which makes it a non-employment issue (this time). The other is a technician for a premier luxury brand automobile who must cover his arms as a condition of employment.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Let's put it this way.

I have never heard of someone not getting hired because they didn't have a tattoo.
View Quote

I have personally seen this happen on an occasion or two. It's not impossible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't let the fry oil mess up your ink, bro.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My guess is that it might not be a deal breaker, but to many it would be a deal bender!.  To me a person with a neck or hand tat is a sign of bad decision making.  I wouldn't want to hire someone who makes lots of bad decisions.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if having a sleeve makes employment any more difficult these days. Any particular field?
View Quote

I work for state Gov as a unit supervisor (including temps, I manage about 80 people).
I deal with contractors, vendors and the public daily.
I have spoken in meeting before department head, bureau chiefs and congressman.
I have worked with and managed teams of international consultants and project contractors.

my sleeves, neck and hand tattoos and stretched ears and shaved head have not hurt me in the slightest.

be the best at what you do, be professional and 100% dependable.

you will get respect.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
All the "bad life decisions" folks should take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves if there are anything that others would say was a bad life decision on their party. You know, like being fat, which indicates poor diet and exercise regimen. Or dandruff, which means you're too stupid to wash your hair and/or buy the right shampoo.

I have half sleeves and it doesn't cause an issue with my group at work. When I go to corp headquarters I am in a suit and no one can see. It is a non-issue for me.

If you feel it would be an issue for you in your region and line of work, make sure you can cover them up if need be.

I'd love to see what some of you guys look like in real life. Must be super models or something.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All the "bad life decisions" folks should take a good look in the mirror and ask themselves if there are anything that others would say was a bad life decision on their party. You know, like being fat, which indicates poor diet and exercise regimen. Or dandruff, which means you're too stupid to wash your hair and/or buy the right shampoo.

I have half sleeves and it doesn't cause an issue with my group at work. When I go to corp headquarters I am in a suit and no one can see. It is a non-issue for me.

If you feel it would be an issue for you in your region and line of work, make sure you can cover them up if need be.

I'd love to see what some of you guys look like in real life. Must be super models or something.
View Quote

Actually now that you mention it, I was a model at one time.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I work for state Gov as a unit supervisor (including temps, I manage about 80 people).
I have worked with and managed teams of international consultants and project contractors.

my sleeves, neck and hand tattoos and stretched ears and shaved head have not hurt me in the slightest.

you will get respect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you will get respect.

um... they can't discriminate.

When in doubt, they hand it out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ask yourself this:  You're the hiring guy.  Two applicants come in, both equally qualified.  One has idiotic cartoons scrawled all up & down his arms, reflecting poor life choices.  Which one do you hire?

Act accordingly.
View Quote

As someone that interviews white collar employees,  I don't give 2 shits about a tattoo.   Some of our best employees are dirty Inkies.

I care about your skills, work experiences, and how well you answer my questions, and how you can make us money.  HR cares about your background and your drug habits.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My boss doesn't care so long as we work hard and do things to the best of our skills and abilities.
View Quote
What if one want's to exceed what your boss can offer? Not everybody want's to 'pipe your boss's piss-whistle'  for their entire life.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What field are you in?

Might have to get use to wearing long sleeve shirts on a daily basis if there is policy on it.  I've always worn a suit and tie to interviews so it's never come up in that portion of the hiring process.
View Quote

This is it.  I have tattoos but I can cover them up.  Just as long as you have the good sense not to ink your hands or your neck (or God forbid, your face) you haven't closed any doors.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What if one want's to exceed what your boss can offer? Not everybody want's to 'pipe your boss's piss-whistle'  for their entire life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My boss doesn't care so long as we work hard and do things to the best of our skills and abilities.

Some of us are in the process of training up to take over as day shift supervisor
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're interviewing for the job wearing a guinea t, or a short sleeve shirt, tattos are not likely to be a problem.
View Quote

If they are all over your face, neck and hands they probably would be.

Some of the responses here are funny and some may even be fabricated.

So called " hiring managers' tell you tattoos are no problem = some guy in his basement with tattoos and piercings on his face with no job!!!!!!!

Yeah this is the BEST PLACE to come to for potentially life altering decisions.

OP - You want to know if they are a problem .....

Do some damned research in the careers fields you aspire to work in.

Go out and talk to some agencies that deal with employment in the field.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
What have we learned, class?

If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, you sure as shit better have dual sleeves and a wicked back piece.  Also: if you use appearance as a factor when judging people you are a inkist and should be ashamed.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This tattoo epidemic is out of control.  I saw an old woman at the Dr.'s office the other day.  She was tired and sickly looking, must have been at least 85.  There on her arm was this very pathetic looking faded out tattoo that looked like a big ink stain at this point.  I thought, this is what we have to look forward to as all these inkies age.
View Quote

Do people really give a fuck about what they'll look like when they're 85? If I make it that far, I'll be more concerned about my impending demise than what my wrinkly tats look like. Besides, old people are gross to look at even without tats.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's put it this way.

I have never heard of someone not getting hired because they didn't have a tattoo.

I have to ask.... What job was this for?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your company have a gym? If they do, go workout there one day, and you'll be surprised who has tattoos of what - and where they are.

Everyone is always in a hurry to tell everyone how to live their lives. Then again OP did ask a bunch of people on the internet for advice on something he shouldn't have, considering tattoos are right up there with pot, abortion, and school prayer in terms of controversy.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, you sure as shit better have dual sleeves and a wicked back piece.  Also: if you use appearance as a factor when judging people you are a inkist and should be ashamed.  
View Quote

It's the new PC.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#24]
just get the tat in a place covered.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Depends on what, where, how many, the job, etc.

Sales? Fuhgettahboutit.

Labor intensive? Fuck, you could have 100% coverage.

I know many that have worked around their tattoos. I know a guy that works as a radio station rep and he routinely meets with business professionals to get ads going, etc. Even if it's 100 degrees out, he has a sportcoat on. At the very least, a long sleeve DARK colored dress shirt.

You would NEVER, EVER guess this guy has even one tattoo. He has a bunch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's put it this way.

Janitor at the tattoo parlor !!!!    

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do people really give a fuck about what they'll look like when they're 85? If I make it that far, I'll be more concerned about my impending demise than what my wrinkly tats look like. Besides, old people are gross to look at even without tats.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This tattoo epidemic is out of control.  I saw an old woman at the Dr.'s office the other day.  She was tired and sickly looking, must have been at least 85.  There on her arm was this very pathetic looking faded out tattoo that looked like a big ink stain at this point.  I thought, this is what we have to look forward to as all these inkies age.

Umm yea, it is offensive to my eyes.  No one wants to see your nasty aging tats.  It also scares small children.  Children are suppose to feel especially comfortable around old people, not terrified of these aging felon wannabees. I raise you
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I once asked my boss what he thought of tattoos (I have none, but fellow employees have many). He said he didn't give a shit so long as you didn't tat your face or neck. Thats where he draws the line. That and smoking. He won't hire you if he knows you smoke.
View Quote

I'm the same. I won't hire anyone who smokes. One, because I recently quit and I don't want to be anywhere near that shit but two it's a productivity killer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#29]
What's the world coming to when a guy with his ex-girlfriend's name (Jade) on his neck can't find a nice job?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Which segment is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't speak for others but in our business it would matter.Appearances are everything when you are dealing with a certain

segment of society .

Which segment is that?
Our business deals with old school seniors who would

not be client's if we had people on staff that in their opinion

showed very poor life choice decisions. I can't really say

they are alone in this thinking because many share this

position.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Umm yea, it is offensive to my eyes.  No one wants to see your nasty aging tats.  It also scares small children.  Children are suppose to feel especially comfortable around old people, not terrified of these aging felon wannabees. I raise you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh God, let's not go around offending you...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Interviews are short and virtually all candidates look even. They have to try to weed people out, you just gave them a reason.

Would you trust or want someone handling money, expensive machinery, or representing your business that looks like they just got out of the clink?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Interviews are short and virtually all candidates look even. They have to try to weed people out, you just gave them a reason.

Would you trust or want someone handling money, expensive machinery, or representing your business that looks like they just got out of the clink?
View Quote

But they're "reformed" now!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Our business deals with old school seniors who would   not be client's if we had people on staff that in their opinion
position.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't speak for others but in our business it would matter.Appearances are everything when you are dealing with a certain
segment of society .

Which segment is that?
Our business deals with old school seniors who would   not be client's if we had people on staff that in their opinion
position.

Why is it a poor life decision? Most people don't regret their tattoos or consider them a mistake. I certainly don't. I make no apologies for what I do nor do I care what some "holier than thou" people think.

Back to the logic, I'm trying to understand it.

1) Tattoos are poor life decisions because they (might) make getting a job harder.
2) People won't hire you for (alleged) poor life decisions, of which a tattoo is one.
3) Therefore, tattoos are a poor life decision.
4) Back to step (1)

Being fat, smoking cigarettes, and getting married are all poor decisions IMO, for the same reason above, actually for more than just that. Because they're all choice which directly affect your ability to be a productive employee.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
It's the new PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the new PC.

The tattooed should be the newest protected class.  

Stop the discrimination.  Stop inky-shaming.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the new PC.

Well it seems their Anti-Defamation League is going strong in this thread.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I plan on getting a small tattoo soon, and even though I work in the railroad industry, I will be getting it up on my upper arm so that it is out of sight.  In the field, yeah, nobody cares.  In fact they might look at you funny if you don't have some ink.  But, when I get older and want to move into the office and/or managment....ink won't fly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#39]
yes
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#40]
It does not bother me unless you work with vendors or clients, which limits how useful you are to my company. Your decision. I have plenty of labor to pick from.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's the key word right there.

You want to voluntarily disqualify yourself for a fortune 500 CEO status ( $ PAY $ ) even if you're qualified, go ahead.

If you know you don't have the ambition for that level and are cool with being passed over for positions which put you in front of clients representing a quarter of a million $ revenue annually, go right ahead.

I believe my kids have the potential to make things happen for hundreds... maybe thousands of employees - inky's included - down the line in the company they own / run.

I am doing what it takes to get them to believe in themselves enough to see that very potential in themselves.

I have already let them know Tats WILL voluntarily disqualify them for that level of potential.

How many of you good Folks have voluntarily disqualified yourself for such heights ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some People judge you by the way you look. It may not be right, but that is reality.  

FIFY

lol

EVERYONE judges and gets judged based on appearance.

Again, it depends on the job. I already pointed out that I hired in IT and for Cell and I don't give a shit what you look like. Hell, I don't really even care what you smell like, if you can do the job.

I guess me and all of the members of the several hiring teams I've been on are broken, according to your world view.

Is it really so hard for you to fathom that there's a large cross-section of lucrative skilled labor in which appearance is totally meaningless? Are you really that sheltered and naive?

That's the key word right there.

You want to voluntarily disqualify yourself for a fortune 500 CEO status ( $ PAY $ ) even if you're qualified, go ahead.

If you know you don't have the ambition for that level and are cool with being passed over for positions which put you in front of clients representing a quarter of a million $ revenue annually, go right ahead.

I believe my kids have the potential to make things happen for hundreds... maybe thousands of employees - inky's included - down the line in the company they own / run.

I am doing what it takes to get them to believe in themselves enough to see that very potential in themselves.

I have already let them know Tats WILL voluntarily disqualify them for that level of potential.

How many of you good Folks have voluntarily disqualified yourself for such heights ?

All work is labor, period. The distinction is between skilled and unskilled.

I am the CIO of a booming cell tech company. We currently have a handful over a hundred direct employees and twice that in subs (goes back to "I can't hire rough looking assholes fast enough" ) I fully expect, based on our actual sales and firm offer projections, to have more than a thousand direct hires by 2016.

I have tats and piercings. I am not unique. roughly 95 percent of our employees, management and executive staff do as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#42]
As an employer I can tell you the answer is unequivocally, "Yes."

Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why is it a poor life decision? Most people don't regret their tattoos or consider them a mistake. I certainly don't. I make no apologies for what I do nor do I care what some "holier than thou" people think.

1) Tattoos are poor life decisions because they (might) make getting a job harder.
2) People won't hire you for (alleged) poor life decisions, of which a tattoo is one.
4) Back to step (1)

Being fat, smoking cigarettes, and getting married are all poor decisions IMO, for the same reason above, actually for more than just that. Because they're all choice which directly affect your ability to be a productive employee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
segment of society .

Which segment is that?
position.

4) Back to step (1)

This is what I was thinking the entire time I was reading some of these responses.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Act accordingly.
View Quote

I would have typed it a bit differently, but this is the truth.

Remember, it's not about how things should be or how we might want them to be.

It's about how things really are that matters.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sorry.
View Quote

INKIST!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#46]
As a welder i could cover myself in tattoos and i will get hired, if my welds are quality they don't give a crap what you look like...

But i am not the type to cover myself in tattoos, i just have a few and they are easily covered

EDIT: now if you're a douchebag with bunch of tattoos it's a different story.. all about presenting yourself, not how you look IMO

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're equating having tattoos with being fat or having dandruff then I won't argue with you.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sorry.
View Quote

What industry, what positions? Is it that *you* wouldn't hire people with tats or that people with tats are demonstrably harmful to your corporate image?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Plenty of people with education and money have also been known to snort coke, shoot up with heroin, and willingly copulate with Dianne Feinstein. Education and money does not guarantee that all life choices are good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Act accordingly.

I swear, that is the stupidest argument.  Poor life choices?  Please explain.

There are plenty of people with education and money walking around with tattooed bodies.

I say that type of an attitude is a sign of dickheadedness.

Plenty of people with education and money have also been known to snort coke, shoot up with heroin, and willingly copulate with Dianne Feinstein. Education and money does not guarantee that all life choices are good.

Man... You are on fire!  

That's the one thing I miss about being in the UK.  The sense of humor.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top