Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
I've been pretty interested in the possibilities of 3D Printing for a while now, since I read an engineering magazine back in the early 2000's.  I figured now that I have a dedicated workshop space, it might be time to consider purchasing/building a printer.  I figure with ARFcom being such a wealth of knowledge, there might be a few guys (or gals) here that could give me a no shitter on the topic.  Most of the kids at the nearest 3D print shop are a bit too hipstery for my tastes, so my fingers are crossed that you guys can simplify it down for a commoner like me.  But enough about how curmudgeonly I can be with people, on to the meat of the thread.

I'm interested in 3D printing mainly for either prop making purposes (geek alert) or minor prototyping.  I don't plan on making any lowers.  I do not have any formal or informal knowledge of 3D/CADD software, beyond being a gamer and having done very minor mods/tweaks.  I did take several programming courses in college, so I'm familiar or at least not mortally terrified with the thought of doing some of that to get this thing up and running.  

Budget-wise, I'm looking to keep this under $5k, perferably in the ~$2,500 area.

So, the questions:

- Does 3D printing even sound like a good idea for me or am I too much of a simpleton?

- Assuming the last question didn't send this thread to a grinding halt, are there 3D printer models out there which would suit my budget/needs/novice knowledge level?

- Is in-depth CCAD knowledge essential, and should I begin learning it ASAP before I purchase a printer?  If so, which program(s) would be adviseable to pick up?

- How big a print area do you recommend?

- Are build-your-own kits the way to go, or is the precision and difficulty level involved something you wouldn't recommend to a guy who bases all of his hobbies and investments off of things he hears in GD?

- Is there anything else you want to add that is valuable information for a beginner, or are there easy-to-understand resources out there for guys like me that hang around the slow crowd?

Thanks in advance for any insight.  If there's any more info I can provide, let me know.

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I offer no real knowledge but am in for answers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
3D Printing without the ability to create your own models, ie learning a CAD / 3D Modeling application is extremely limited.  If you're serious about getting into it then learn the creation aspect first.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
TAGGGGGG.

I asked a similar question in the other 3D printer thread and got "go do some research" as a reply. Was hoping for more than that

I have the green light to get one for work for printing small scale models of the machinery we make, to be used for trade show displays and engineering concept work. But no one at work knows anything about them.

ETA: I would think you'd need to know 3D CAD to some degree to have your own flexibility with the device. It's not that hard to learn.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged so I can answer alot of questions when I get home.

Until then, search for threads by me or fattymcnasty we've answered gone over alot of this stuff.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Until then, search for threads by me or fattymcnasty we've answered gone over alot of this stuff.
View Quote

Ah!  I was hoping you'd show up.  I'd spent a while trying to search for you here, but could not remember your username for the life of me.  Did get some interesting hits on "steppingout" and "onthestep" in Googling .

I'll find the thread pronto and see if I can get learned!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm interested in 3D printing mainly for either prop making purposes (geek alert) or minor prototyping.  I don't plan on making any lowers.  I do not have any formal or informal knowledge of 3D/CADD software, beyond being a gamer and having done very minor mods/tweaks.  I did take several programming courses in college, so I'm familiar or at least not mortally terrified with the thought of doing some of that to get this thing up and running.  
View Quote

I had zero 3d/cadd experience before starting, with so many models already out there, you might not ever have to learn. Custom stuff? Time to learn. However, modeling for printing is different than modeling for cad. Internal structures which are common/result from just about all non-print based modeling programs makes it so the part is unprintable. Essentially you have to make sure your model is a water tight outer shell, for it to print.  

Programming doesnt play into anything 3d printing. The most math you're gonna use is basic algebra for dialing in your stepper motors.

Budget-wise, I'm looking to keep this under $5k, perferably in the ~$2,500 area.
View Quote

That is much more than it will take to get a nice 3D printer. I would go with a Prusa i3 variant on of the v slotted rail style ones. If you spent 2.5k, you're looking at a very nice kit with multiple extruders.

- Does 3D printing even sound like a good idea for me or am I too much of a simpleton? If you put your time in to learn, you can do it

- Assuming the last question didn't send this thread to a grinding halt, are there 3D printer models out there which would suit my budget/needs/novice knowledge level? I would recommend one of the Prusa variants

- Is in-depth CCAD knowledge essential, and should I begin learning it ASAP before I purchase a printer?  If so, which program(s) would be adviseable to pick up? No, it's not mandatory.  Becoming an "expert" in the model fixing, slicing, and printer control programs however is. On a regular basis I use Netfabb, Meshmixer, Slic3r, Sketchup, and repetier host. Only Sketchup is a CAD program from that list.

- How big a print area do you recommend? You can always print a small part on a big bed, not viceversa. Minimum i'd get an 8x8 (200mmx200mm bed) as a bare minimum. There are some large frame Prusas, 8x12, 10x12 and up.

- Are build-your-own kits the way to go, or is the precision and difficulty level involved something you wouldn't recommend to a guy who bases all of his hobbies and investments off of things he hears in GD? Yes yes yes. Do a kit. I cant stress enough how important it is to know how every aspect of your printer works. Youll need to know this because you WILL be replacing, fixing, or modding parts off of your printer.  Many of the kits have good instructions, youtube videos of every step of the build.  Not to mention my "kits" are more accurate than most of the much more expensive prebuilt only printers out there. At a fraction of the price, plus they are much more modable so you can upgrade them at will

- Is there anything else you want to add that is valuable information for a beginner, or are there easy-to-understand resources out there for guys like me that hang around the slow crowd? Approach this exactly the same way as you would a trade. Would you buy a CNC on a whim and think you could just start cranking stuff out? Many of the principles are the same. Hell it uses the same language as a CNC (gcode). It will take time to learn to use your printer, to fix models, to get quality prints.

View Quote

These were all very generic overview type questions. I can answer specific stuff as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup we have..

and you want to look into a Rostock

linky

this will make larger props that you seek!

what ever you do add a print server to it.. OMG its way handy.. Im using Octopi on mine..
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Get back to me when y'all start printing in the 4th dimension

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

yup we have..

linky

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup we have..

linky

XYZ vs polar movements? F that noise, I'll stick with XYZ.

Can you even use Slic3r or repetier with a delta? Or are the movements translated on the fly in firmware? I'm very ignorant of deltas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get back to me when y'all start printing in the 4th dimension

View Quote

Well... Since the part takes a long ass time to print. You could technically say you're printing/growing across the 4th.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can you even use Slic3r or repetier with a delta? Or are the movements translated on the fly in firmware?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup we have..

linky

Can you even use Slic3r or repetier with a delta? Or are the movements translated on the fly in firmware?

on the fly,via firmware. regular g codes are used in the slicing.. just like what were using and used to.. he just gets one hell of a large work area. for props it would rock! I have a friend at work that made one..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top