Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/1/2014 11:29:52 PM EDT
Just came across this, sorry if dupe.

"...But a surprising group of people doesn’t think that – namely, scholars of gay history and anthropology. They’re almost all LGBT themselves, and they have decisively shown that gayness is a product of Western society originating about 150 years ago."

Edit: read the article, the guy is not saying homosexual behavior didn't exist before, but the way of categorizing oneself is relatively recent.

Update: Here's more from the article:
"Many popular attempts to portray an age-old history of gayness start with ancient Greece. We do have much documentation — the poetry of Sappho, Greek vases depicting men in flagrante – that same-sex relationships and intercourse were common in that culture.

But scholars don’t think the ancient Greeks had a gay minority. Rather, that civilization thought homosexuality was something anyone could enjoy. In addition to a wife, elite men were expected to take a younger male as an apprentice-lover, with prescribed bedroom roles. The system was so different from ours that to describe specific ancient Greeks as gay or straight would show profound disrespect for their experiences, and violate the cardinal historical rule against looking at the past through present-colored lenses."

Page 1
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/nobody-is-born-that-way-gay-historians-say/
Page 2
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/nobody-is-born-that-way-gay-historians-say/2/

Check out the authors bio:
"David Benkof is a Stanford-trained historian whose research has focused on modern Jewish history and the gay and lesbian past. He has written about gay and lesbian history for dozens of LGBT publications, and authored the book (as David Bianco) “Gay Essentials: Facts for your Queer Brain” (Alyson, 1999). He has taught gay and lesbian history at the Billy deFrank Lesbian and Gay Community Center in San Jose and the Institute of Gay and Lesbian Education in West Hollywood. He is a frequent contributor to the Daily Caller. E-mail him at [email protected] or follow him on Facebook."
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
More proof that at least half the members on this site spends all their waking time obsessing about gays.

Way more time than even a gay dude who is in a gay marriage and owns a gay bar where other gays come and talk about gay everything.

You know, fuck it, this place just needs to change its name to GayR15.com and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's only 150 years, how do they explain the Biblical references that are thousands of years old, and the references to it in Indian culture and Chinese culture dating back ten thousand years ?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More proof that at least half the members on this site spends all their waking time obsessing about gays.

Way more time than even a gay dude who is in a gay marriage and owns a gay bar where other gays come and talk about gay everything.

You know, fuck it, this place just needs to change its name to GayR15.com and be done with it.
View Quote

Fucking FPNI

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it's only 150 years, how do they explain the Biblical references that are thousands of years old, and the references to it in Indian culture and Chinese culture dating back ten thousand years ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, all that stuff about the ancient Greeks and their homosexual antics... Untrue.

The mosaics in roman bathhouses depicting gay stuff?  The devil put it there.

These "historians" are morons with an agenda obviously.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, all that stuff about the ancient Greeks and their homosexual antics... Untrue.

View Quote

Only gays can have an agenda

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]
people really should read the article, its very interesting.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Bullshit
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#10]
The author isn't saying people weren't having same-sex intercourse since forever, but that they didn't box themselves in to categories and define themselves as straight or gay, it's an artificial barrier.

Here's another quote:
"Today’s categories for sexuality correspond poorly with times past. Dr. Duberman put it this way: “Were people always either gay or straight? The answer to that is a decided no.” Instead, people from other eras who slept with members of their own gender “haven’t viewed that as something exclusive and therefore something that defines them as a different category of human being.”
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, these "historians" are gay, didn't you catch that?  Dunno what this achieves other than noting their incompetence.

.  Nevermind. Read the quote.  Yeah, I can see that.  Although wouldn't it have started with or before Puritanism?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#12]
It's interesting that homosexuality is one of the few areas where liberals are ready to credit genetics. When it comes to proclivity to criminality or intelligence, they scream bloody murder if you suggest a genetic component.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That part is addressed in the article.  Basically the premise is nothing like it sounds in the OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#14]
OMG DA GAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Mental Illness?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#16]
To an extent,  I agree. You can always change your mind.
Heterosexuality is a default setting.   You can always go back if you want.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Okay, read the article. Don't even bother trying to discuss this unless you have. It's an interesting article.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I've seen kids, more obvious in boys, that while very young, say five years old or even less are clearly going to turn out to be gay. One of my close friend's little brother was like that. We wondered about him for years, but on his FB page all his friends are either really hot girls or obviously homo dudes and stuff like that.

He's a great guy though, doesn't push it, isn't militant or anything, very conservative / libertarian, gun owner, etc. But yeah, you could tell it when he was little now that I look back on it.

I know of several like that. I believe in some cases it's genetic as well. There are two families here in town, a town of only a few thousand people, that has turned out a lot. One of my friends is gay, his sister isn't, but her daughter is. There is a gay aunt in the family as well. Another family has six kids around my age, several girls and several boys. One of the boys my age is or was gay, he died several years back, none of his sisters are, but two of them have gay kids. The family also has an uncle that's gay.

I've also known a couple of people that you'd have no clue, and never identified with it, dated girls, hunted, fished, drove 4x4s or built and raced cars, but that chose the lifestyle in college or later. For them it was a choice.

Most of the girls I know or have known that were gay were more or less bisexual or bi curious. I dated a good bit of that, more bi curious than bisexual, though I've known a few girls that were completely gay. I went two years to an art and music college and there was a little of everything there.

On a funny note, one of my unbelievable life events, I got assaulted , sort of mainly verbally, by two gay women at a gas station, and then  nearly beat up by close to 40 gay / butch ones that piled out of a greyhound bus. One had a putter. They were headed to an LPGA tournament.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Edit: read the article, the guy is not saying homosexual behavior didn't exist before, but the way of categorizing oneself is relatively recent.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can't even bother to read the OP.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah , and no. It has always been considered an abnormal behavior , something that is non productive and unnatural, and that a very small segment of a society partakes of. It was differentiated even in old testament times, which predates the modern western culture by a few years.

The writer has an agenda and is seriously biased by it if he was able to in any way come to the conclusion that gay and straight weren't categorized by society and by the individual partaking in the acts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't even bother to read your post.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#23]
"The system was so different from ours that to describe specific ancient Greeks as gay or straight would show profound disrespect for their experiences, and violate the cardinal historical rule against looking at the past through present-colored lenses."

Perverse presentism : Perverse Presentism highlights need to avoid imposing current ideas about and constructions of sexuality on the past at the same time that it acknowledges the historical expression of sexual intimacies and practices.

Not a bad article.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:59:19 AM EDT
[#24]
This is simply a more erudite way of saying if your balls don't touch.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Filip_II_Macedonia.jpg/640px-Filip_II_Macedonia.jpg

Ah, the Greek

Inventors or anal intercourse and heavy sheep cheese.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL!!!  Gayr15!! LOL!  Fitting!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#27]
While biology certainly plays a role in sexual behavior, no “gay gene” has been found, and whatever natural-science data exists for inborn sexual orientations is preliminary and disputed. So to date, the totality of the scholarly research on homosexuality indicates gayness is much more socio-cultural than biological.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/19/nobody-is-born-that-way-gay-historians-say/#ixzz39E7e4LNv
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:57:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:22:50 AM EDT
[#29]
It appears that most read nothing but the thread title and got their feelings hurt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It appears that most read nothing but the thread title and got their feelings hurt.
View Quote
Reading is for faggots.  That's why nobody does it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e5/Filip_II_Macedonia.jpg/640px-Filip_II_Macedonia.jpg

I'm not going to ask how he got his nose knocked off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:59:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

To an extent,  I agree. You can always change your mind.

Heterosexuality is a default setting.   You can always go back if you want.
View Quote
Why eliminate 50% of the population as potential sex partners?

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:12:06 AM EDT
[#35]
General Patrick Cleburne, (Cleburne, TX named for him...) "Shared his blanket with drummer boys..."

Google recounts this a million times.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I know you didn't read anything other than the thread title?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:22:52 AM EDT
[#37]
nmd
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Not sure if I buy the logic.  We don't live in ancient Greece where bisexuality was the norm and a gay person wouldn't be noticed. We live in the modern west where someone exclusivelyattracted to their own gender is kind of eccentric.

Keynes'data indicates a society where most people claim to be 100% straight, but answer differently if you ask em under conditions of anonymity.  That matches with the Greek model, but the social differences seem to causean artificial division into either or.  

The division may be artificial as claimed, but what side we fall on does not appear to be a matter of choice.  I fall on the straight side and would be DEEPLY unhappy were I somehow forced to exist otherwise.  I imagine that the same must be true for those on the gay side of the line.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, like a moth to a flame.  It doesn't really matter though as there are no consequences.  What matters is when Republican politicians obsess about gay marriage, gay "therapy", etc, come off to the electorate as gay-bashers to independent voters.  God forbid they focus on something as boring as fiscal responsibility.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#40]
FPNI.

We spend WAY too much time on the subject of someone else's sex life.

The entire issue is nobody's business.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#41]
if they are born that way it is a birth defect with a cause and a probable cure, if its a choice then no special civil rights.  tough huh
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's interesting that homosexuality is one of the few areas where liberals are ready to credit genetics. When it comes to proclivity to criminality or intelligence, they scream bloody murder if you suggest a genetic component.
View Quote

Oh no, intelligence is genetic.  That's why intelligent people should give their money to poor people.  They are just lucky.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

FPNI.

We spend WAY too much time on the subject of someone else's sex life.

The entire issue is nobody's business.
View Quote
Until they make it your business.  Which the militants do.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I call BS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The mosaics in roman bathhouses depicting gay stuff?  The devil God put it there.

View Quote

FIFY

Just like the dinosaur bones - it's a test of faith.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#46]
The gays would have you think that everyone is born gay except for some degenerate sickos who became heterosexuals
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The article said the sociologists/ anthropologists doing the research were predominantly gay by a wide margin. Don't care if someone is gay. Do care when it empowers them to seek more privilege because of their sexual preferences. Just another special interest group lobbying for more special privilege above the average citizen.

So the agenda, it brings questions...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Oh look Martha, Another gay thread.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Wow! Another recycled puff piece for the deemocrat party platform. People who believe democrats will unchain LGBTQ social progressivism from democrat party brand of special victims laws and DNC social progressive left platforms (open borders-chained family-birthright citizenship-sanctuary city/state immigration, obamacare, welfare, global warming, abortion, gun control, unions, cut military 50%) are either politically naive shills for less liberty or toolbags of the left and democrat party platform. Obama just dedicated a national monument to the stonewall commies. The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves.

90% of Gays and Lesbians Vote for Barack Obama and Helped the President Win Close Election
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2012/11/poll-90-percent-of-gays-lesbians-voted-for-obama.html

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:30:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow! Another recycled puff piece for the deemocrat party platform. People who believe democrats will unchain LGBTQ social progressivism from democrat party brand of special victims laws and DNC social progressive left platforms (open borders-chained family-birthright citizenship-sanctuary city/state immigration, obamacare, welfare, global warming, abortion, gun control, unions, cut military 50%) are either politically naive shills for less liberty or toolbags of the left and democrat party platform. Obama just dedicated a national monument to the stonewall commies. The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves.

90% of Gays and Lesbians Vote for Barack Obama and Helped the President Win Close Election
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2012/11/poll-90-percent-of-gays-lesbians-voted-for-obama.html

View Quote

Be honest, you didn't read the article, did you?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top