Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2014 6:09:50 PM EDT
So after watching all episodes of Inside Combat Rescue on Netflix, and seeing a few too many shaky characters at the range where I go, I put together the following for my range bag. Doctors, EMTs, Medics, what am I missing for on-the-spot-layman help until 11-41 arrives?

I'm also worried about getting sued if I try to help someone who I don't know, and they say I'm liable for the leg they lost after putting a.45 Gold Dot through it, all because of my tourniquet. Worried enough to watch someone bleed out? I don't know, what say you attorneys?

Quikclot gauze (non-powder form)

[*]HALO chest seal

EMT shears

CAT tourniquet

Israeli Bandage - From the gun show

Rubber Gloves - From my wife's laboratory
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't forget band aid
Common things are common.

Nice set up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Have 2 kits...one walmart first aid for minor stuff and one actual trauma kit.  Chinook med supply, na rescue...

Use the tq.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know how to use that stuff based on your trauma assessment?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminder:  Knowing how to use it is more important than having it.  Not conceptually - but some training that tells you when to use which treatment, how, for how long and how to know when it is effective...and when it isn't.

Being able to assess vitals and how to support them is as important as slapping on the Izzy bandage.

The "Quickclot on everything that bleeds" crew scares the hell out of me.  I'm not saying that you think that way - but a huge number of people think that simply having a bag of blowout tricks is the solution to the serious problem they are preparing to face.

It isn't.  If you don't have training - get it.  The difference may save a life.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reminder:  Knowing how to use it is more important than having it.  Not conceptually - but some training that tells you when to use which treatment, how, for how long and how to know when it is effective...and when it isn't.

Being able to assess vitals and how to support them is as important as slapping on the Izzy bandage.

The "Quickclot on everything that bleeds" crew scares the hell out of me.  I'm not saying that you think that way - but a huge number of people think that simply having a bag of blowout tricks is the solution to the serious problem they are preparing to face.

It isn't.  If you don't have training - get it.  The difference may save a life.
View Quote

True.
Usually, direct pressure on wound and no peeking is better
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have 2 kits...one walmart first aid for minor stuff and one actual trauma kit.  Chinook med supply, na rescue...

Use the tq.
View Quote

Yes

First hand experience says TQ (x3), halo, a few izzy's, quick clot, 14g needles, nasal airway, plenty of latex gloves, sharpie

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Crush up a bunch of aspirin.  You can use it as quick clot in a pinch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The basics I know are:

If there's bleeding, apply direct pressure (so use the Quikclot or Israeli bandage).

If blood is spurting out, it's an artery and time to use a tourniquet unless it's on the torso or neck.

If there's a chest wound with bubbling blood, possible pneumothorax and use the chest seal or the lungs collapse and they die in minutes.

That's all I know.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Threads like this are supposed to raise awareness so Arfcommers don't get in "pinches"

Ditch medicine is handy to know but training, mindset, and tools trump all

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right I don't know any of that. Need to learn. Right now I'd just be a "holy fucking shit someone is gonna die in 2 fucking minutes somebody do something" grade person.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Given than ASA is a blood-thinng (and anti-clotting) agent how does this work?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Isn't aspirin a vasodilator /blood thinner?

If sarcasm, don't mind me.  My meter is out getting refurbished at the factory.  Defective electronics and all that.

OP, little stuff happens a lot more often at ranges.  Add more bandaids and gauze to your kit.  Hell, I sliced my thumb up on a metal target by accident a while back and didn't notice till I was bleeding on my revolver.

Add a dollar 6 pack of superglue as well.  Good for small cuts or sticking stuff.

Maybe a roll of Kerlex or similar  Extra gloves too, as they love to rip on stupid things.  Exposure is bad.

Biggest thing I can ever say, and this was drilled into me even when I was clerical in the hospital.  Bodily fluids = gloves, no matter how bad it looks.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Put a few tampons in it, they work good for bullet wounds.  Paremedics do not use quickclot because transport time is usually rather fast but it's good to have on hand.  I personally use Celox that does not have to be cleaned out prior to surgery.  

It's more important to stay proficient with trauma/first aid training.  One of my go to sources is Paul Howe's website, one squared away mother fucker, and frequent his online courses.  

https://panteaoproductions.com
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Put a few tampons in it, they work good for bullet wounds.  Paremedics do not use quickclot because transport time is usually rather fast but it's good to have on hand.  I personally use Celox that does not have to be cleaned out prior to surgery.  

It's more important to stay proficient with trauma/first aid training.  One of my go to sources is Paul Howe's website, one squared away mother fucker, and frequent his online courses.  

https://panteaoproductions.com
View Quote

The QuickClot Sport he has in the kit is the pocket version of the ACS.  Shouldn't need to clean anymore than pulling the gauze out and treating.  From what I've heard, the granulized stuff is a bastard and a half though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

How am I going to know if the bleeding stopped if I don't peek?

1) Apply direct pressure to wound with a sterile gauze.

2) Remove gauze to check if still bleeding once every minute.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're right I don't know any of that. Need to learn. Right now I'd just be a "holy fucking shit someone is gonna die in 2 fucking minutes somebody do something" grade person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it looks like they're gonna die anyway, put a round through their head so they don't suffer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of HYfin chest seals, two OLAES bandages, a SOFT-TW, an NPA, an isolation wrap, two z-packed gauzes, streamlight nano, shears, two rolls of mini duct tape and a pair of folding razor blades.

QuickClot has its uses but if I'm unconscious or freaking out I don't want an untrained person dumping it in the wrong place.  Blood clots can kill you too.  I feel like my bases are as covered as they can be and don't keep clotting agents in my kit.

ETA: This is just a trauma kit.  It is not for blisters or snivels or boo boos.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#18]
TQ application will save lives. Don't worry about losing limbs or anything like that. Last I asked, my Corpsman said you can have one on for 12 hours or more and not lose the limb. Maybe some nerve damage but hey, better than stumps, amirite?

Seriously though. Have a TQ. Have multiples. Come upon a arterial spray, drop a knee into the closest artery. Then apply TQ as high up on the limb as possible then crank down on the windlass. If its still bleeding, apply another.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I think you need to find a better range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Don't remove the guaze, you'll disrupt the forming clot.  Remove your hand from the gauze and see what happens.  More bleeding = more gauze + more pressure
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I just received this the other day.  It discusses the use of tourniquets and Quik-Clot like products in prehospital emergency care:

AN EVIDENCE-BASED PREHOSPITAL GUIDELINE FOR EXTERNAL HEMORRHAGE
CONTROL: AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS COMMITTEE ON TRAUMA
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So after watching all episodes of Inside Combat Rescue on Netflix, and seeing a few too many shaky characters at the range where I go, I put together the following for my range bag. Doctors, EMTs, Medics, what am I missing for on-the-spot-layman help until 11-41 arrives?

I'm also worried about getting sued if I try to help someone who I don't know, and they say I'm liable for the leg they lost after putting a.45 Gold Dot through it, all because of my tourniquet. Worried enough to watch someone bleed out? I don't know, what say you attorneys?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/klsandiego/WP_20140801_007_zps8ddce7a0.jpg

Quikclot gauze (non-powder form)

[*]HALO chest seal

EMT shears

CAT tourniquet

Israeli Bandage - From the gun show

Rubber Gloves - From my wife's laboratory
View Quote

That's all you need,  plus training.  The goal is to stay alive long enough to get to a higher level of care.  If you need more than what you've got you probably won't survive.  About the only things I'd add would be a second TQ, maybe an Olaes 4 or 6.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't remove the guaze, you'll disrupt the forming clot.  Remove your hand from the gauze and see what happens.  More bleeding = more gauze + more pressure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Yeah, they covered that when I was in med school.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#24]
This is also another source for trauma training.

http://health.mil/Training-Center/Committee-on-Tactical-Combat-Casualty-Care

Click on the downloadable CCCT course.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Sorry, didn't know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That doesn't open on my browser. Does it work for you?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neat!
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Look into your "Good Samaritan" laws. If they're like most places, you don't have to worry about any lawsuits for helping somebody no matter how bad it turns out. As long as your intent is good, then they won't be able to bring a suit against you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Remember that not all training is applicable in all cases. While combat life saving may teach to throw a tourniquet on, get out of a kill zone, and wait until you are under cover to assess you have a different situation when nobody is shooting at you or the scene isn't hazardous. The level of danger at the scene, the time for medical to arrive, and the ability of the person giving aid all come into play. Stuff like suture kits, decomp needles, artery clamps, and IVs should only be administered by people that have formal training unless the situation is critically life or death with no hope of medical response.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Too drunk to reply to this thread at the moment.  Tag for sobriety tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The basics I know are:

If there's bleeding, apply direct pressure (so use the Quikclot or Israeli bandage).

If blood is spurting out, it's an artery and time to use a tourniquet unless it's on the torso or neck.

If there's a chest wound with bubbling blood, possible pneumothorax and use the chest seal or the lungs collapse and they die in minutes.

That's all I know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The basics I know are:

That's all I know.

Quick clot is bad for you (whoever receives it). Try not to use it unless you have to. Use it on arterial bleeding.
If substantial veinous bleeding, gauze and pressure bandage.
If arterial, gauze and pressure bandage. Apply pressure to artery above the wound. Apply tourniquet if needed. If the wound is in the forearm, it is better to apply the tourniquet above the elbow.

If bandage becomes soaked, wrap a new layer over the bloody one.
Learn how to take a manual blood pressure. It's very easy.

If it's a sucking chest wound, apply a seal over the wound. Tape on 3 sides to allow the escape of some air. If you seal it completely, air will build up in the chest cavity and can cause Tension pneumothorax. If it's a through and through, one hole can be taped on all four sides. If a Tension Pneumothorax occurs (they will struggle with breathing more rapidly), lift up on the seal to allow air to exit.

Learn the different stages of shock and how to manage it.

Learn how to do CPR property. 100 compressions per minute on an adult. Push hard. Your probably break their sternum, but oh well. Hope you have good endurance.

ETA: don't open or use quick clot in the wind or open with your mouth. Have a supply of Nitrile gloves

This might be more of the extreme, but a punctured jugular can be worse than a punctured carotid. Blood coming from the brain and down the jugular creates a negative pressure. This can cause air to enter the blood stream and cause an air embolism, which is certainly deadly. Seal that shit up
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#32]
The quick clot folks are talking about comes impregnated in a sponge or impregnated into gauze like celox. The new formula won't burn. I don't think anybody sells the powder by itself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
"11-41" sounds pretty high speed. You know what sounds even more high speed? English.

Good on you for considering the possibilities and bringing some gear.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Look into your "Good Samaritan" laws. If they're like most places, you don't have to worry about any lawsuits for helping somebody no matter how bad it turns out. As long as your intent is good, then they won't be able to bring a suit against you.
View Quote

Last I checked, the 2 general restrictions were that your care must not be malicious and must be within your qualifications. Obviously the details of the law vary from one place to another though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes

First hand experience says TQ (x3), halo, a few izzy's, quick clot, 14g needles, nasal airway, plenty of latex gloves, sharpie

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use the tq.

Yes

I thought Nitrile was all the rage these days, due to latex allergies?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#36]

ATS Med pouch-small.

2 CAT's, 5 tough type bandaids, 1 decompression needle, 1 pack of H&H combat gauze, 2 packs of surgical gloves, 1 Benchmade seat belt cutter, 1 triangular bandage, 1 sharpie, 1 nasofarengeal, 1 Israeli bandage, 1 compression bandage/pressure dressing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#37]
All you really need is a cigarette pack wrapper and duct tape.  All else is overpriced fluff.

WHat are you. Some kind of show off gear whore.  Gauze pads with Keymod cutout thingys?  Overpriced logos on everything? slightly angled grips on you shears? Thumb over grip on your aid bag?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Here's Tennessee's law just to put up an example:

"Any person, including those licensed to practice medicine and surgery . . . , who in good faith:

(1) Renders emergency care at the scene of an accident, medical emergency and/or disaster, while en route from such scene to a medical facility and while assisting medical personnel at the receiving medical facility, including use of an automated external defibrillator, to the victim or victims thereof without making any direct charge for the emergency care; or

(2) Participates or assists in rendering emergency care, including use of an automated external defibrillator, to persons attending or participating in performances, exhibitions, banquets, sporting events, religious or other gatherings open to the general public, with or without an admission charge, whether or not such emergency care is made available as a service, planned in advance by the promoter of the event and/or any other person or association,

shall not be liable to such victims or persons receiving emergency care for any civil damages as a result of any act or omission by such person in rendering the emergency care, or as a result of any act or failure to act to provide or arrange for further medical treatment or care for the injured person, except such damages as may result from the gross negligence of the person rendering such emergency care."

If you're not on the clock, responding to a call, or a regular joe, you don't have anything to worry about. Take the AHA's CPR class and learn how to use an AED, too.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use the tq.

Yes

I should look into that...

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

If it's leaking around the dressing, it is still bleeding.  

If it isn't heavily squirting decent direct pressure should do the job.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
All you really need is a cigarette pack wrapper and duct tape.  All else is overpriced fluff.

WHat are you. Some kind of show off gear whore.  Gauze pads with Keymod cutout thingys?  Overpriced logos on everything? slightly angled grips on you shears? Thumb over grip on your aid bag?

View Quote

The last time I cut myself on a range I used duct tape and a paper towel for a field expedient band-aid.  Blood isn't good for bluing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not for me on Firefox

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Better to have and not need than need and not have............

Always be self-sufficient, because you never know.....

I was working our range for a recruit academy class when the former AF-Security Forces recruit in the next lane over, shot himself while holstering the issue Glock 22.   165gr .40 FMJ luck for him, straight down the outer thigh, in and out about 6" long.  Claimed he didn't have his finger on the trigger, swore the Safariland thumbstrap got into the trigger guard and activated the trigger.  

Anyhoooo, the RO there sat the guy down while somebody else ran for the metal FAK mounted at the firing line.   Shocked to find only some yellowed wrapping band aids, not even any gauze.  

Lucky for him we weren't qualifying with the Golden Sabre 165gr HPs, he may have bled out before AMR arrived on scene about 6 min later.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I would add cloth tape, extra gauze, and abd pads.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quick clot is bad for you (whoever receives it). Try not to use it unless you have to. Use it on arterial bleeding.
If arterial, gauze and pressure bandage. Apply pressure to artery above the wound. Apply tourniquet if needed. If the wound is in the forearm, it is better to apply the tourniquet above the elbow.

If it's a sucking chest wound, apply a seal over the wound. Tape on 3 sides to allow the escape of some air. If you seal it completely, air will build up in the chest cavity and can cause Tension pneumothorax. If it's a through and through, one hole can be taped on all four sides. If a Tension Pneumothorax occurs (they will struggle with breathing more rapidly), lift up on the seal to allow air to exit.

Learn how to do CPR property. 100 compressions per minute on an adult. Push hard. Your probably break their sternum, but oh well. Hope you have good endurance.

ETA: don't open or use quick clot in the wind or open with your mouth. Have a supply of Nitrile gloves

This might be more of the extreme, but a punctured jugular can be worse than a punctured carotid. Blood coming from the brain and down the jugular creates a negative pressure. This can cause air to enter the blood stream and cause an air embolism, which is certainly deadly. Seal that shit up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The basics I know are:

That's all I know.

QuikClot is not "bad" for you. The days of granulated stuff are long gone--it is now a gauze that's impregnated with a naturally occurring clay matieral that activates the clotting cascade. I would much rather have some guy call it safe, stuff a wound with QuikClot, and ask questions later than to choose not to use it because he read on an internet forum that it's bad for you.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#47]
As a trauma & general surgeon, I would recommend:

Disregard the idea of topical aspirin for any wound, enough is absorbed it will cause bleeding.

Get Basic Life Support training, if possible, get Advanced training. Don't stick tampons in gunshot wounds. I have no idea where this came from, but all you are going to do is push dirt/germs into the wound. Call 911 & apply a pressure dressing. If it's spurting blood (arterial bleeding) add more pressure and/or a TQ.

Add some 325mg aspirin for fellow shooters who have crushing chest pain, like someone standing on them....as they would likely benefit from chewing & swallowing aspirin, if having an MI(heart attack).

Statistically, you're more likely to encounter someone with a heart attack than a gunshot wound--unless you have bad luck or very sloppy range-mates.

Did you call to get training yet?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Save yourself the trouble, and space, and simply carry a baggie of gunpowder and some strike anywhere matches.

Poor gunpowder in wound, light with match.

Boom. Done. No muss, no fuss. Totally tactical.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Save yourself the trouble, and space, and simply carry a baggie of gunpowder and some strike anywhere matches.

Poor gunpowder in wound, light with match.

Boom. Done. No muss, no fuss. Totally tactical.

View Quote

Flash powder works great too for an impromptu cauterization.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As a trauma & general surgeon, I would recommend:
Statistically, you're more likely to encounter someone with a heart attack than a gunshot wound--unless you have bad luck or very sloppy range-mates.

View Quote

I get fucked by statistics all the time

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top