Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/1/2014 4:38:14 PM EDT
Was having trouble with my Ford Turbo Diesel starting, slow cranking and such.

Checked and cleaned connections and had batteries tested at battery shop, gravity draw test and voltmeter tested. batteries OK.

Took starter off and stopped in Autozone to have it tested. Starter passed tests which amounted to putting cables on it and hitting switch with no resistance of motor, just spinning in air, but
they said it's good according to Autozone.

Did not trust that and took it to battery shop to have it looked at to see if it could be just slow.

Battery shop took starter apart and the brushes were completely shot and starter was junk inside.

Do not know how it started anything in last 6 months.

But it did show that AutoZone does not know how to test starters at all.

Never taking anything to them to test again.

Oh and by the way, both places charged nothing to test the starter, but if I had gone with what Autozone said, I could have been working on this for several extra days for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Never have and never will.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
always use a new OEM starter on a diesel
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The folks at NAPA around here are pretty squared away but I've never seen an AutoZone or advance employee that knows shit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Checked and cleaned connections and had batteries tested at battery shop, gravity draw test and voltmeter tested. batteries OK.

Took starter off and stopped in Autozone to have it tested. Starter passed tests which amounted to putting cables on it and hitting switch with no resistance of motor, just spinning in air, but

Did not trust that and took it to battery shop to have it looked at to see if it could be just slow.

Battery shop took starter apart and the brushes were completely shot and starter was junk inside.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya know.....back in the day, a person who worked at an auto parts store, motorcycle dealer, bicycle shop, whatever, that person was usually someone who was interested in that line of work. Everyone at the Honda dealer I worked at owned a bike, ATV, or both. They enjoyed being around what they worked on or sold.

Today, the walk up retail business is run with folks that just need a job. No pride or work ethic at all.

fuck

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]

The only thing I go to autocrap for maybe light bulbs, oil and such.   I found if you like to just change parts go to autocrap.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't trust the guys with the only training is reading the instructions on the front of the machine and are doing it as a free service.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The folks at NAPA around here are pretty squared away but I've never seen an AutoZone or advance employee that knows shit.
View Quote

Yep, may as well have taken it to a WalMart.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
How much did you pay for the AutoZone test?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't trusted Autozone since they screwed me over 20 years ago.  I was in high school, bought on their reman engines for my car, and had a good mechanic put it in.  About 500 miles on the engine and it missing plus ticking noises.  I took it to the shop Autozone told me to and they found several adjustment nuts for the valves laying inside the valve cover along with bent push rods and lifters from where the nuts got into places they shouldn't have.  All the shop did was put the nuts back on.  The engine ran like crap and about 1,500 miles in the engine locked up.  Autozone said since I didn't use their shop to install it the warranty would not be honored.  They never said I had to use their shop when I bought the engine.  I basically paid $1 per mile for that engine. Fuck Autozone.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The closest Autozone near me is in a neighborhood that requires them to have signs in Spanish as their primary signs.  I can't say I've ever had an issue with them though.  Never a problem with any warranties and never bought a defective part there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Get into the Zone, Fuck You Zone
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I haven't trusted Autozone since they screwed me over 20 years ago.  I was in high school, bought on their reman engines for my car, and had a good mechanic put it in.  About 500 miles on the engine and it missing plus ticking noises.  I took it to the shop Autozone told me to and they found several adjustment nuts for the valves laying inside the valve cover along with bent push rods and lifters from where the nuts got into places they shouldn't have.  All the shop did was put the nuts back on.  The engine ran like crap and about 1,500 miles in the engine locked up.  Autozone said since I didn't use their shop to install it the warranty would not be honored.  They never said I had to use their shop when I bought the engine.  I basically paid $1 per mile for that engine. Fuck Autozone.
View Quote

Out of morbid curiosity, how many other auto shops will sell you a motor to have installed elsewhere and still cover the warranty?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ask someone to hook it up to the starter and alternator testing machine.

We had them when I was a commercial accounts manager with them. I always tested them on the machine, and depending on the test results, would break it down and check visually.

Also, any new starter or alternator I sold got tested on the machine to be sure it worked before I gave it to the customer to go spend an hour or three under a car, only to find the new one didn't work either.

Simple customer service, old fashioned methods always resulted in a happy customer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#16]
lol Vatozone

I've made a rule to not get things tested there, last time I got a altenator tested there it came back to me covered in Fritos because some dumbshit left a bag of Fritos on top of the test machine.

More often than not I can get stuff off Rockauto or from the local Kenechts for way the hell cheaper and they also don't have ex-cons working the front desk. .
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FPNI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

Yep
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not trust napa.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ya know.....back in the day, a person who worked at an auto parts store, motorcycle dealer, bicycle shop, whatever, that person was usually someone who was interested in that line of work. Everyone at the Honda dealer I worked at owned a bike, ATV, or both. They enjoyed being around what they worked on or sold.
Today, the walk up retail business is run with folks that just need a job. No pride or work ethic at all.
fuck

View Quote
Fook!

You're too fooking right.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Meh, the employee got it right when they tested my starter last year.  Some AutoZones are better than others.

There's a guy at my local AutoZone who has been there for as long as I can remember and can and will answer any question you have.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Bench testing a starter does not always show the issues! IE Auto Zone or any parts house for that matter.

A starter draw test while on the vehicle can show so much more!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's an auto parts store.... what'd ya expect ?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bench testing a starter does not always show the issues! IE Auto Zone or any parts house for that matter.

View Quote

Yes, but you have little choice when the customer lays it on the counter in a greasy rag.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes, but you have little choice when the customer lays it on the counter in a greasy rag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides, I'm sure most reputable shops would charge for such a test.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you under the impression that not trusting auto zone is new information?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#26]
The days of someone at ANY parts store having ANY knowledge about cars are over.  If you think this is only Autozone you will be sorely disappointed.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Would have to agree,   Unless it was making an obvious noise,  I probably would not even get underneath it without putting an amp clamp on it first.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be correct. Any reputable shop will charge you for their time...I know I do!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#29]
cant know the shape of brushes in a starter unless you pull it apart and look. a 7.3 will eat a set of brushes fast, if the batteries are weak. i put a denso in mine and dont even think of grinding the thing down with weak voltage. gear reduction denso really spins the thing fast. get a volt meter too,check the batteries- save some headaches. 12-13 sitting off, no lower than 9 under load (crank) 14+ running and charging. youtube it and learn.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Autozone interview process:

"Do you know anything about cars?"

"I've been in one before."

"You're hired."
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The days of someone at ANY parts store having ANY knowledge about cars are over.  If you think this is only Autozone you will be sorely disappointed.
View Quote
This. I tried to get a $9/hr part time job at an Advance Auto for gas and beer money in college. I had worked on cars for 9 years and the manager said I had too much experience and they couldn't pay me accordingly. I told him point blank I'd work a few hours a week for minimum wage and they still said no And yes, they were hiring for a part time gig.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
$9/hour Autozone employee (in my experience, usually a repair shop reject) doing diagnosis on your car and being mad that he gets it wrong?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Only go there as a last resort. Most of the time I order stuff from Rockauto. But if I need to fix something ASAP I got to Oreillys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That would be correct. Any reputable shop will charge you for their time...I know I do!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my point. The OP seems to think the free test he got *on a single part* at the local parts house was, in some real way, supposed to determine the root cause of his issues in a motor full of moving and electrical parts.

He then concludes that the culprit in this symphony of stupidity is the vendor who offered a free service which didn't suit his needs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I have never relied on any "magic machine" to diagnose a starter or alternator.

I guess there aren't any auto shop classes anymore.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Meh, only go there for getting codes read. I've got a multimeter and amp probe for the rest.

Google takes care of everything else.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#37]
AutoZone is usually my first stop for parts, because I usually end up getting better-quality, U.S.-made parts there, cheaper, as opposed to the local Napas or O'Reillys. The latter two seem to be run by idiots that would rather be home playing Forza, believing that alone gives them experience working on vehicles. That, and most of their attitudes are total shit. I go where my patronage is apreciated, and AZ has been great so far. Laugh if you will, but that's been my experience.

Besides, who doesn't take their diesel starter to be tested at a diesel-specific shop?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Out of morbid curiosity, how many other auto shops will sell you a motor to have installed elsewhere and still cover the warranty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Autozone isn't a shop, they are a parts supplier.  There are plenty of places to order an engine from and have a shop put in.  If Autozone actually had that warranty policy they should have told me ahead of time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#39]
VatoZone didn't properly diagnose a problem?

Say it ain't so.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Anyone going to an auto parts retail store expecting an accurate diagnosis of their failed part  deserves exactly what they get.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Autozone isn't a shop, they are a parts supplier.  There are plenty of places to order an engine from and have a shop put in.  If Autozone actually had that warranty policy they should have told me ahead of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure there's lots of places you can order a motor to install. How many of them offer warranty on that motor?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Went to an Autozone to have the check engine reset on my Scooby doobaroo (l left a plug wire loose after changing the plugs and wires so I already know what the problem was and that it had been fixed) and they said, we can tell you what the codes are but we can't reset the check engine light due to federal law.

I asked them what law was that?  They had no clue.

They just want to sell parts, not fix problems.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I get my oil from Autozone.  No issues
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This. I tried to get a $9/hr part time job at an Advance Auto for gas and beer money in college. I had worked on cars for 9 years and the manager said I had too much experience and they couldn't pay me accordingly. I told him point blank I'd work a few hours a week for minimum wage and they still said no And yes, they were hiring for a part time gig.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, same with me. Tried to get on when they were hiring near my house. Kept calling them and they kept saying call back in a few days. Next time I went in there I saw some new faces and none of them knew a damn thing. Told one of them I had a part number for a spark plug Asked me what car it came out of, told him it doesn't matter I have the part number. He rolled his eyes and said ok, what is it. Gave it to him and he told me thats not a part number. I said put it in the computer and he did and said oh, how many do you need?

One time they were getting me change, it took them 15 minutes and 4 people to open the register.

I think they hire almost all idiots.

As for the OP, I have had a starter that passed the bench test but wouldn't actually work in the car. Its the nature of auto work. Some things can only be replicated in the environment they live in. Some things only occur when the vehicle is actually moving at a certain speed, cant just rack it up and speed it up to xx mph.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#46]
all the auto parts stores are the same now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#47]
When I worked at Pep Boys in the late 90s I got 2 bad starters for a Bronco. The third one finally worked
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#48]
The last time I went in, I was looking for a thermostat for my 67 F100.  I was told that all older vehicles were air cooled and I really didn't need one.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Autozone has sold me the wrong parts too many times for me to shop there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Autozone has sold me the wrong parts too many times for me to shop there.
View Quote

It's funny you say that.  I'm working on starting a parts store of my own for all the random wrong parts I've gotten over the years.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top