Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
lawn guys- I have an echo 225 something or other weed whacker, it generally does well but I'm not so sure my technique is correct because it seems my line wear very quickly. I use the precut Echo tristar shaped orange line spec'd for the machine. I got sick of the spooled line so not I use the head that you insert precut lengths into. Its for a small residence so its not a big deal. Any who back to my technique - should you use the machine at full throttle or partial? does going slow lug the machine or make the string less efficient? What about direction? if the head is spinning clockwise looking down on it from the operator position should you engage the weeds with the 3 o'clock side of the machine or the 9 o'clock side? Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
What you want is this:

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]
The proper technique should be to remove the head that takes those short pre-cut pieces of line and buy a proper Speed-Feed head.  They are fast and easy just cut your line to length, run it through halfway, and turn the head back and forth a couple times and you are ready to go.  A Speed-Feed head is a one time load and you don't have to mess with loading small pieces of line every time they break.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The proper technique should be to remove the head that takes those short pre-cut pieces of line and buy a proper Speed-Feed head.  They are fast and easy just cut your line to length, run it through halfway, and turn the head back and forth a couple times and you are ready to go.  A Speed-Feed head is a one time load and you don't have to mess with loading small pieces of line every time they break.
View Quote

This. Plus you should run it full throttle. Hitting the grass at the 3 o'clock knocking it into the grass which should be to your left. Speed feed is the way to go. If you want it to look nice use the weedwhacker only parallel to the ground or perpendicular for line edging and bed edging. While edging hold the head near your feet shooting infront off you while walking backwards. Always wear eye pro.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This. Plus you should run it full throttle. Hitting the grass at the 3 o'clock knocking it into the grass which should be to your left. Speed feed is the way to go. If you want it to look nice use the weedwhacker only parallel to the ground or perpendicular for line edging and bed edging. While edging hold the head near your feet shooting infront off you while walking backwards. Always wear eye pro.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thank you gentlemen. I have a dedicated echo edger with the perpendicular blade that does a great job. my whacking leaves a lot to be desired. Your tips should help greatly.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want it to look right, hit it at full speed. Those pre-cut strings are worthless. I agree, you want the speed feed heads. Doesn't matter what direction you go in, but try to make a smooth swing, I usually go back and forth.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Roundup, or my favorate, thermite, for when everything needs to die all the way down to the watertable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I jerk on it acouple times to get the motor going. Then if the line gets too short, I just tap the head till it gets long enough again to attack the bush.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Full throttle. Locked position.  Legs provide movement.  

Kinda like welding. Wrists locked to maintain proper angle while the arms do the moving.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
An echo speed feed head filled with square trimmer line, not the cross shaped stuff echo sells.  A one pound donut will probably last you a while.  Years.

Every season, take that donut and toss it in a pail of water, leave it overnight.  Keeps it from getting brittle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An echo speed feed head filled with square trimmer line, not the cross shaped stuff echo sells.  A one pound donut will probably last you a while.  Years.

Every season, take that donut and toss it in a pail of water, leave it overnight.  Keeps it from getting brittle.
View Quote

For OP this is the Speed Feed Head but personally I prefer the Stihl round line in the Speed Feed heads it seems to run a lot smoother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top