Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2014 8:42:29 AM EDT
Been craving beef brisket for a few weeks now.  It's a pretty tough item for me since it's usually just the wife and I.  With the inlaws in town, and the day off i figure the time was right.  I picked up an 11lb packer earlier this week.  

Prep started last night with the trim.  Silverskin and deckle was removed.  On the opposite side, the fat was trimmed down to 1/4".   After that it was injected and set back into the fridge overnight

Up n at em early this morning.  I patted the brisket dry with a paper towel rubbed.  

Into the smoker it went at 9:30 am.  Cruisin along here at a steady 260 degrees on the CyberQ

Here's a quick check at the 3 hour mark.  Starting to look good and smells even better.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I started mine at 6 am this morning.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Crutch at 165?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crutch at 165?
View Quote

I crutch, but i do so after i've got the bark i like.  The crutch is a bark-killer so i make sure it's well developed prior to wrapping.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I started mine at 6 am this morning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
At 6.5 hours I'm happy with the bark that's developed.  IT was at 169 f.  Time to wrap...

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good, mine is resting in the cooler now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whole packer or flat?  You making burnt ends?  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Packer,  I was but its raining out so no.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
After pulling from the foil and letting the bark firm back up, we have this....

The point and flat

Burt ends going back into the cooker.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks delicious
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]

That looks delicious.

I will give brisket a shot before this summer is over.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing that,  Well, the pictures anyway.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Damn.  Now I'm hungry.

Bring some over here.

I have cold beer, train sets, and imitation crab meat...

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
The finished product.  I've had better smoke rings, but the taste and tenderness were very good.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Only 6.5 hours at 250? How long did you pack it in the cooler for?

I am relatively new to smoking, but have cooked everything BUT a brisket so far, and am looking at that as my last frontier, and I always thought it took much longer than that.

Looks great!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only 6.5 hours at 250? How long did you pack it in the cooler for?

I am relatively new to smoking, but have cooked everything BUT a brisket so far, and am looking at that as my last frontier, and I always thought it took much longer than that.

Looks great!
View Quote

6.5 hours til i wrapped.  General rule is to wrap at 165, but i like to wrap when i like the bark instead of a set temp (this one hit 165 at about 5-5.5 hours...but the bark wasn't there yet imo.  Total cook time (including the 2 hours rest for flat/2 hours on burnt ends) was about 11-11.5 hours.  Cook temp on this one was 260.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#20]
What on gods green earth did you do to those burnt ends???

The whole purpose of burnt ends is crispy goodness.....you can't get that smothered in bbq sauce.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The whole purpose of burnt ends is crispy goodness.....you can't get that smothered in bbq sauce.
View Quote

So i'm supposed to dry out the juiciest, most tender part of the brisket?  Nah bud, you're off there.  I SHOULD have taken the time to set em on the rack and set the sauce, but i was hungry.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So i'm supposed to dry out the juiciest, most tender part of the brisket?  Nah bud, you're off there.  I SHOULD have taken the time to set em on the rack and set the sauce, but i was hungry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I'm not.  You can brush them with a sauce for a little flavor but you sure don't dunk them in a vat of it.  If you think that is how it is done then I will just leave you to it. To each his own.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#23]

wtf?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, I'm not.  You can brush them with a sauce for a little flavor but you sure don't dunk them in a vat of it.  If you think that is how it is done then I will just leave you to it. To each his own.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

wtf?

View All Quotes
I tried to tell him but apparently I have been doing it wrong for 20 years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top