Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think too many people laughed when the Spanish flu killed tens of thousands in this country.

Another pandemic is coming.

Don't doubt it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

It is hilarious, isn't it?

It is hilarious to watch a lot of people panicking like this is the end all of plagues.  

I don't think too many people laughed when the Spanish flu killed tens of thousands in this country.

Don't doubt it.

Influenza I'm worried about......

Ebola I am not.

It's funny how ARFCOM isn't concerned with influenza in the least given the hysteria against the vaccine in any flu vaccination threads but two people with ebola that are being treated in isolation?  Oh teh noes!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I just read on fox news that we have nothing to fear because it only infects dirty poor people.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

AIDS is slow. Ebola is fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that 90% rate is entirely derived from the conditions in rural African shitholes.  Who knows what it would be over 1,000 victims with prompt access to high quality care.

Serious question - where would we put 1000 ebola positive patients here in the US? Do most hospitals have a large quarantine area?
Where do we put all the AIDS patients?  We have a disease here, making the rounds, that's 100% fatal without treatment that has the same infection vectors as ebola, yet we have somehow manage to survive so far....  

AIDS is slow. Ebola is fast.

In action.  But transmission isn't magically faster.  While Ebola is more transmittable than AIDS, it isn't exactly a wildfire contagion.  Particularly in places with sanitation and cultural practices significantly less helpful to the disease.

Imagine the spread of AIDS at a conference of virgins.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just read on fox news that we have nothing to fear because it only infects dirty poor people.
View Quote

And doctors.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The disease is first transmitted to humans who are handling infected monkey corpses and don't take proper hygiene measures.

How many well off people do you know who do that?

There is a reason why ebola keeps popping up in Africa every few years. ignorance is rife there, education lacking. Combine that with nasty bugs in animal vectors and you get what we see now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So how do you think 2 American doctors that know full well how this virus spreads and what precautions to take ended up getting this virus?

Do you think they were kissing dead ebola victims?

Bathing dead ebola victims?

Hiding ebola victims from authorities.

Not using equipment to not come in contact with body fluids?

Any of the other bullshit the media is telling us?

So tell us, how did these 2 American doctors contract ebola?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not airborne don't care.

So how do you think 2 American doctors that know full well how this virus spreads and what precautions to take ended up getting this virus?

One of their co-workers was ill, and they didn't recognize the symptoms.  Pretty easy to do when Ebola mimics malaria (a common African disease) in the early stages.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you think they operated with a death wish? The doctor is reported to have used a biosuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not airborne don't care.

That's a good question, but what type of facilities were they working in?  What kind of equipment were they using?  Was their staff trained and equipped to handle infectious diseases?

Do you think they operated with a death wish? The doctor is reported to have used a biosuit.

Have you ever worked for several hours in stifling heat inside tyvek or any other type of chemical suit?  After an hour you're ready to tear it off, regardless of what's on the outside.

They're not working in nice, clean air-conditioned hospital wards over there.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Has there ever been a case of ebola on US soil before? I'm not referring to samples of the pathogen, I'm talking about a live human being infected with the virus.
View Quote

Yes, just not the Zaire strain.  The Reston strain is pretty harmless to humans.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
How else to weaponize this or reduce the defecit?

All those old motherfuckers sucking the country dry.......
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Funny enough, most people here would freak if they know of some of the diseases and viruses are in sealed labs running right now...
This is no different.  Not even a cause for concern.... hell, the CDC has active ebola strains in their labs... now they have living samples to play with.
View Quote

They've been killing monkeys with it for decades.  Both the CDC and the Army.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Bullshit or not ....... is it worth the risk to fly infected people here to do for them what could be done for them in Africa ????????????????

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but it wasn't being transported around inside a live host and then placed inside a hospital that is publicly accessible. Smallpox only has a morbidity rate of around 35%, btw.

Yeah, but smallpox is airborne and spreads a LOT faster.

The latest info on Ebola is that it has been determined to be " air-borne " . along with the other known means of contamination.
gd

Where'd you get that bullshit from, infowars?

Bullshit or not ....... is it worth the risk to fly infected people here to do for them what could be done for them in Africa ????????????????

Let's say it all again, kids:  AFRICA IS NOT AMERICA.

There is not a single facility within 1,000 miles of where these people are located that could properly treat them.  Maybe in South Africa, some 2,500 miles to the south.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Meanwhile, on the southern border...

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Keep in mind that 90% rate is entirely derived from the conditions in rural African shitholes.  Who knows what it would be over 1,000 victims with prompt access to high quality care.  Even the rate from this "urbanized" outbreak is meaningless.

The death rate from influenza and minor wounds is higher in Africa, too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where would you rather be treated?

Hospital procedures, treatment, labs, containment, damn near everything is better here.  Plus researchers have better access here.

their already dead

(or at least 90% likely to die)

Keep in mind that 90% rate is entirely derived from the conditions in rural African shitholes.  Who knows what it would be over 1,000 victims with prompt access to high quality care.  Even the rate from this "urbanized" outbreak is meaningless.

The death rate from influenza and minor wounds is higher in Africa, too.

The overall death rate for this outbreak is running about 60%.  They believe it's because they have a good idea how to treat victims now and are able to save more patients than during the first outbreaks.

It's quite likely these two will survive if given access to top notch medical care.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Maybe that guy making all those wicked flu strains can combine it with ebola.

You know just because.
View Quote

Wouldn't work.  Two completely different types of viruses, with completely different genomes.

It would be like trying to make a monkey-cat, and we all know how that turned out.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:25:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Question for the Doc's:

Is there any form of post-exposure prophylaxis for Ebola like with AIDS?

View Quote

Nope.  Treatment is supportive only.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

It is hilarious to watch a lot of people panicking like this is the end all of plagues.  

Don't doubt it.

You would be wrong.   Millions of people worldwide laughed, you can count on that.    Right up until the virus killed their own families and friends.    

It's what people do.  Hubris, gallows humor, denial, you name it.   People dismiss any reminder of their own mortality, until it is literally breathing down their necks.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

More people die in the US from influenza in a single year than in all the recorded Ebola and Marburg outbreaks combined since 1976.

Ebola's scary because it's so deadly, but malaria kills millions more Africans than Ebola.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't doubt it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Don't doubt it.

Back when the Spanish Flu was killing people a good chunk of the US medical establishment thought it was due to "bad air".

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Ebola acts too fucking fast to cause a nation-wide pandemic.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

6.8 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What round for the ebola infected massed?

6.8 ?

You have to love 165 gn traveling at over 3100 fps...
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Even if we blocked all flights coming in from that region it wouldn't matter.

Those that want you dead would cry racism BTW if we protected Americans from an African pandemic.

So long as flights were coming into South and Central America we'd still have people walking across the open border carrying it.

So not only are we enduring human wave attacks as part of the ethnic cleansing soft kill, including the use of child human shields, now we face biological attacks on the American citizenry.

But we will get into the cattle cars and strip naked in front of the ditch still denying it what is really happening right up until the end.

Just remember you are a racist...guilt must be instilled for you to oblige.
View Quote
Yeah.  I'm sure this is really part of a long-term conspiracy to kill all white people.  That's not absolutely goddamn crazy at all.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Back when the Spanish Flu was killing people a good chunk of the US medical establishment thought it was due to "bad air".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Don't doubt it.

Technically it was bad air

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]

LOL
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In an aircraft where air is recirculated, the virus is spread by bodily fluids, a few good sneezes should do it.
View Quote

Recirculated?

Odd, I must have missed that setting on the pressurization systems I have worked on.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Do you know what happens when an isolation pod experiences a failure of the filtration system?

Everything inside gets dispersed outside .... and yes those filtration systems can and do fail.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny enough, most people here would freak if they know of some of the diseases and viruses are in sealed labs running right now...
This is no different.  Not even a cause for concern.... hell, the CDC has active ebola strains in their labs... now they have living samples to play with.

Explain to me how a living infected person being transported through airports, across land, and to medical facilities is the same as viral samples stored in "sealed labs."

Explain to me how you missed the part of isolation pods on private jet to private airport to a specialized facility?

Oh and btw, those viral samples do travel too... you think they just appear in labs when testing needs to be done?

Do you know what happens when an isolation pod experiences a failure of the filtration system?

Everything inside gets dispersed outside .... and yes those filtration systems can and do fail.

Since ebola isn't spread through the air, only by close contact with body fluids, how would a failure of the isolation pod's filtration system disperse ebola outside?

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Recirculated?

Odd, I must have missed that setting on the pressurization systems I have worked on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In an aircraft where air is recirculated, the virus is spread by bodily fluids, a few good sneezes should do it.

Recirculated?

Also, ebola isn't spread via sneezing.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
2 well trained medical proffessionals that got lazy and complacent while treating people with the world's most deadly human disease.

Yea right.

It is called denial.
View Quote

I'm with you.  Not believing the party line story from CDC and NIH around this that US medicine can miraculously contain this... when hospitals have horrible problems with things like MERSA already.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Plus we're bringing every African head of state right to the White House this week
Brilliant move......
View Quote

That may well be the perfect ground zero.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm with you.  Not believing the party line story from CDC and NIH around this that US medicine can miraculously contain this... when hospitals have horrible problems with things like MERSA already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2 well trained medical proffessionals that got lazy and complacent while treating people with the world's most deadly human disease.

Yea right.

It is called denial.

Which spreads a metric fuck ton easier then Ebola.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ebola. Is. Not. Airborne.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain to me how a living infected person being transported through airports, across land, and to medical facilities is the same as viral samples stored in "sealed labs."

Explain to me how you missed the part of isolation pods on private jet to private airport to a specialized facility?

Oh and btw, those viral samples do travel too... you think they just appear in labs when testing needs to be done?

Hey badfish::
WHEN EBOLA VICTIM SNEEZES, EBOLA IS FUCKING AIRBORNE. GET IT?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have brought Lassa back to the America Didn't have magic outbreaks it spreads the exact same way.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well technically airborne for a short distance in the presence of a medium such as respiratory droplets. But that's still a far cry from something like anthrax.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well technically airborne for a short distance in the presence of a medium such as respiratory droplets. But that's still a far cry from something like anthrax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I will stay in Alaska until this infection burns itself out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That might be slightly counter productive. Virus' tend to survive longer in colder environments.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
No it isnt

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#36]

Those ain't Mexicans.
And that ain't Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea right.

It is called denial.

You are right. Our medical system cannot handle a national pandemic. Our drugs are made off shore now. Obamacare is in effect. Government wii dictate triage standards. Old folks and the infirm won't be treated if reources are scarce.
Plus the overloads in hospitals in a bad pandemic will cause huge trenches to be dug and filled with the bodies.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#38]
There are studies that show ebola can very well be air borne despite what the CDC is saying.
http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/121115/srep00811/full/srep00811.html
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Largest Ebola outbreak ever, infection rate nearly triples in one month.
Doctors and workers are being infected. I'm sure they are taking what they believe to be appropriate precautions.
Two American aide workers get infected and are flown back to the states.

Color me suspicious.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:25:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doctors and workers are being infected. I'm sure they are taking what they believe to be appropriate precautions.

Color me suspicious.
View Quote

Someone will be along shortly to call you racist or a conspiracy nut.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are studies that show ebola can very well be air borne despite what the CDC is saying.
View Quote

Only in the immediate area of coughing/sneezing victims on large droplets.  It also doesn't survive long outside of the body.

If you were in a room with an AIDS patient violently coughing up blood you might collect enough droplets to catch AIDS.

None of that means it is airborne.  It only means enough virus can be suspended briefly in droplets of fluid to be inhaled.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Color me suspicious.
View Quote

I suspect this is a case of Africa wins again and won't do much in the developed world.   With the regular Ebola outbreaks in that part of the world it was bound to happen eventually but we'll see if it spreads much beyond when it hits countries w/ good healthcare and indoor plumbing.  On the other hand this could be the end of the world as we know it...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Only in  on large droplets.  It also doesn't survive long outside of the body.

If you were in a room with an AIDS patient violently coughing up blood you might collect enough droplets to catch AIDS.

None of that means it is airborne.  It only means enough virus can be suspended briefly in droplets of fluid to be inhaled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in
the immediate area of coughing/sneezing victims
on large droplets.  It also doesn't survive long outside of the body.

So it can be airborne but doesn't spread very well that way.
All I can say is the study showed that the monkeys were infected when kept in a room with infected piglets.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Color me suspicious.

I suspect this is a case of Africa wins again and won't do much in the developed world.   With the regular Ebola outbreaks in that part of the world it was bound to happen eventually but we'll see if it spreads much beyond when it hits countries w/ good healthcare and indoor plumbing.  On the other hand this could be the end of the world as we know it...

With up to a three week incubation period, carriers could be in the US right now. The airlines carrying passengers from Africa are not screening travelers because it is too expensive to do so. It may be a real pandemic, the magnitude of which is not foreseeable right now.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Recirculated?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recirculated?

If you were working on modern jet airliners then, yes, you were missing something. The air is partially recirculated.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recirculated?

right, you can only get it if you shower naked in infected person blood
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Here's a pill...

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WTF??????http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/31/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html

A CNN crew saw the plane depart shortly after 5 p.m. ET. The plane matched the description provided by the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

It was not immediately known when the two Americans -- identified by the source as Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol -- would arrive in the United States, or where the plane would land.

At least one of the two will be taken to a hospital at Emory University, near the headquarters of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, hospital officials told CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

View Quote

Dude your a sorry pos. If you were infected with this shit wouldn't you want to be back in the USA?  Those folks are health workers trying to save lives, and there fucking Americans. What the hell is wrong with some of you guys? Have you no love or compassion for your fellow man?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If zombiefied; all of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What round for the ebola infected massed?

If zombiefied; all of them.

Napalm
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you were working on modern jet airliners then, yes, you were missing something. The air is partially recirculated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recirculated?

Partially recirculated for better temperature control?  Or partially recirculated for filtration (smells)?  I'm trying to understand why engineers would complicate a system that has worked for so many years.

And the patients apparently were flown on corporate jets, not airliners.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Some authors have a gift.

Look at Jules Verne
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom Clancy is looking less like an author and more like a prophet.

I've had that thought quite often since 9/11.  Quite often.

Some authors have a gift.

Look at Jules Verne
Perhaps terrorists can read.  Same as scientists, engineers, and those who grow up to become them.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top