Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what happens when you buy Detroit iron. I weaned myself from that shit a couple of decades ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's why I went with the 5.0
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
When mfg's have to deal with revolving door changes to emissions regulations it makes it quite difficult to put out a reliable motor.  I don't care what manufacturer it is.  I own a company that requires the use of a lot of trucks, from class 3-8, and they all are victims of regulation run rampant.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
56,000 miles on my 2011 with no problems...so far! RUN that truck like you rented it. Keep it cleaned out...running it up to the limiter regularly is my motto. I also have towed over 8000 lbs  for 10K of those miles.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hopefully it doesn't grenade itself like my co-workers did. Get yourself a God damned Chevrolet Silverado. Silverado's are made  from Chuck Norris movies, big dicks, and real tornadoes
View Quote

And taxpayer dollars
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hopefully it doesn't grenade itself like my co-workers did. Get yourself a God damned Chevrolet Silverado. Silverado's are made  from Chuck Norris movies, big dicks, and real tornadoes
View Quote

You mean the ones they recalled and said "Don't drive it, we'll send a tow truck for it."

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
56,000 miles on my 2011 with no problems...so far! RUN that truck like you rented it. Keep it cleaned out...running it up to the limiter regularly is my motto. I also have towed over 8000 lbs  for 10K of those miles.
View Quote

That's what I've been doing. I make sure to floor it regularly, and I make sure to vary my speed when it's raining. Still had the issue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
20k miles on my 2013 and no problems yet.  Make sure the plugs are gapped .028-.030, throw a 5-star tune in there, and call it good!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember the days when you bought a truck and drove it.. none of this aftermarket tuning to make it run properly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 2012 Platinum Eco-Boost with 21,000 miles on it with no problems so far. I usually drive it easy but I do once in a while run it hard. I love the way it performs. The rest of the truck is very well suited to my needs. I am going to take a serious look at the 2015 as soon as it releases!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
and this is why I went 5 liter

I don't trust those eco boosts yet, the bugs are obviously not ironed out
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, just got rid of one.  Biggest POS ever.  Back in a V8 Ford.  Never will I stray again.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
sounds like you saved fuel while passing.

the EPA thanks you and Obama is proud of you.
View Quote

This. Just think of the awesome mileage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Was looking at the f150 with ecoboost and the tacoma.  I went with tacoma.  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
You'll have a lot of blue oval company on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

An engine that's constantly in high pressure boost....what could possibly go wrong?  Thanks EPA!

View Quote

Said this before.     Not comfortable with the idea unless it involves diesel.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
And remember...

Think ECOboost!

Think Environment!

Think "Global Sustainability"!

Think reducing your carbon footprint, you American pigs!

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A miss will dump unburned fuel and oxygen into the exhaust.   When that fuel and oxygen reacts in the catalytic converter it releases heat.  If severe enough it can melt down the converter matrix and catalyst.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has it been to the dealer for a reflash?

There is a computer update that is supposed to help with this.

If You don't get it fixed the miss will take out the cat converter.

Huh

A miss will dump unburned fuel and oxygen into the exhaust.   When that fuel and oxygen reacts in the catalytic converter it releases heat.  If severe enough it can melt down the converter matrix and catalyst.

Somebody needs to tell the diesel crowd this, because I think we missed the memo on that. My 06 Cummins has seen probably more heat and unburnt fuel than any "Ecoboost" Ford and no Cat failure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#20]
No replacement for displacement.

End of story.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No replacement for displacement.

End of story.
View Quote

Displacement + Turbo= most awesomest.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
New vehicles suck. They have waaaaayyy too much crap to go wrong and they are expensive as hell to fix once the warranty runs out. I'll keep my reliable, easy to work on M1009
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Somebody needs to tell the diesel crowd this, because I think we missed the memo on that. My 06 Cummins has seen probably more heat and unburnt fuel than any "Ecoboost" Ford and no Cat failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh

dont be ignorant

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
great. Went from blowing spark plugs through the hood to carbon seizing spark plugs to the block, now this..

Yup. Just paid $857 for a spark plug and coil pack change.

ETA: they broke four off in the bock and had to extract them with their special 2004-2006 F150 5.4L Spark Plug remover.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ditto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.

X2

But I will say I had a '12 Eco with not 1 single issue.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ETA: they broke four off in the bock and had to extract them with their special 2004-2006 F150 5.4L Spark Plug remover.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
great. Went from blowing spark plugs through the hood to carbon seizing spark plugs to the block, now this..

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I hope this EcoBoost isn't as big a turd as the 6.0.

6.0 is a huge turd. Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They shit be damp yo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been reading up on that.  My 2013 F-150 Ecobust has developed an intermittent shutter but nowhere near as bad as you describe.

They were supposed to have fixed it. They clearly didn't.  The running theory is that it is condensation buildup in the CAC.  Guess a few people will need to die before they actually fix it.

http://blog.bluespringsfordparts.com/245/ecoboost-shudder/

Cac is Latin for shit.  Just sayin`.

They shit be damp yo.

maybe they're using Lucas electrics.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh

If it's a dead miss in the cylinder with fuel still going to it, the unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust to the cat where it's burned, causing the cat temps to skyrocket and the material to burn up faster than it should.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's the specific issue?  Do you have a link to more information about that particular defect?

I just wonder if it only affects the V6 or whatever it is could potentially affect my wifes 1.6?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What's the specific issue?  Do you have a link to more information about that particular defect?

I just wonder if it only affects the V6 or whatever it is could potentially affect my wifes 1.6?

Moisture accumulates somewhere in the Induction System and gets sucked in all at once when you go to WOT.

Quoted:
here is the fix

In high humidity or rainy environments, the stock intercooler position can lead to condensation water building-up inside the stock cooler. Upon sudden acceleration and boost, this water can be introduced into the engine, causing a misfire event. We recommend using our optional vent-to-atmosphere BOV (blow-off valve) or VTA E-bov (2013-2014 only). These can help evacuate moisture from the charge air stream before it enters the engine's throttle body.

Let em guess, steady statespeed in the rain for a few hours. Stopped, then pulled out and went to Wide Open Throttle and it went into failure effects mode.

Shut it down or wait a few seconds and its ok.

The TSB for 12 and below will not fix it 100% nor, will the cut in of the TSB for 13 and up.

Until they get a full fix, make sure to give it a good blast of throttle from time to time especially when on the highway in rain (like cruise control) for a long period

BTW, DI Volkswagens have the same problem

DI engines are more prone to this since the air/fuel has less time to mix.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:09:40 AM EDT
[#33]
My 2012 did the same as the OP.  Then I got fuel in my crank case oil.  Just had TSB 14-0040 performed, not sure if it's fixed yet. I doubt it is, cuz how's a block heater going to fix something that happens in the summer?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same issue with the VW's

TSB updated January 8, 2013: TSB # 21 12 01 / 2025464 Frozen Air Charge Cooler

For those who are unaware of the TDI Intercooler Issue, here is a synopsis.

There is a serious safety and engineering defect with all North American MK VI generation TDI Jetta, TDI Jetta Station Wagon, and TDI Golf cars. TDI Passats are not affected by this. Other parts of the world are not experiencing this issue due to differences in emissions controls. VW has issued TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464 Frozen Air Charge Cooler for it.

All CR 2.0L TDI engines for the above mentioned cars are prone to engine failure, destruction and engine compartment fire due to water condensing in the intercooler during cold winter weather. Water vapour is entering the intercooler airstream and condensing into significant volumes of liquid water. The accumulated water then enters the engine cylinder causing a catastrophic hydrolocking condition resulting in engine failure. Some owners, not aware of why the engine won't start, continue to run the starter motor in attempt to start the car which results in overheating of the starter cable. The overheated starter cable causes the cable insulation to melt, smoke and catch fire.

View Quote

it was fixed pretty early on with a different intercooler that uses a flap to change airflow threw the intercooler at specific temperatures.

most of the vehicles have been retrofited with the superseded parts. I have one of the kits in stock.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sounds like an expensive, dangerous, piece of shit.

From a ford guy
View Quote

I knew something was up when I bought my 2013 F-150. Man, they really put the hard sell on me to get that POS. Thankfully, I'm cool under pressure and have a 5.0 V8. Sorry OP, I had a 2005 F-250 with a 6.Oh shit diesel. Swore I'd never have anything Turbo again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:19:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've had that happen with a Jeep 4.0L too.

What's the point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like an expensive, dangerous, piece of shit.

From a ford guy

I've had that happen with a Jeep 4.0L too.

What's the point?

I'm noticing a theme here... wonder what it could be
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#38]
And people called me an idiot for going with the V8
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Still glad I went with a Titan
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:24:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I hope this EcoBoost isn't as big a turd as the 6.0.

6.0 is a huge turd. Ask me how I know.
View Quote

You and me both. I didn't learn my lesson though. I bought an 08 F150 and am on my 3rd 5.4 in about 112k miles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
dont be ignorant

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dont be ignorant

too late, he already let it leak out.  

Diesel =/= gas
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's an issue on a bunch of turbo charged vehicles. Both the Duramax, as well as the TDI VW's have suffered from the same water buildup in the intercoolers.

You will notice that all the threads started for this issue are from people who live in high humidity climates.

Your choices are to move to a less damp state,

Put a better intercooler in it (Full race or the likes) the stock one sucks for guys in "Moist" states.

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the intercooler

Install a catch can that intercepts both sides of the PCV.

ETA:  This is an intercooler issue, not an Eco-boost issue. If you were to turbo the newer 5.0, and put the same CAC on it as the 3.5, you would have the same issue. Ford needs to address the CAC for the guys in climates were the condensation takes place. It realy sucks for some folks, because all the guys who live in the dry climates are loving these trucks!!!    

Same issue with the VW's

TSB updated January 8, 2013: TSB # 21 12 01 / 2025464 Frozen Air Charge Cooler

For those who are unaware of the TDI Intercooler Issue, here is a synopsis.

There is a serious safety and engineering defect with all North American MK VI generation TDI Jetta, TDI Jetta Station Wagon, and TDI Golf cars. TDI Passats are not affected by this. Other parts of the world are not experiencing this issue due to differences in emissions controls. VW has issued TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464 Frozen Air Charge Cooler for it.

All CR 2.0L TDI engines for the above mentioned cars are prone to engine failure, destruction and engine compartment fire due to water condensing in the intercooler during cold winter weather. Water vapour is entering the intercooler airstream and condensing into significant volumes of liquid water. The accumulated water then enters the engine cylinder causing a catastrophic hydrolocking condition resulting in engine failure. Some owners, not aware of why the engine won't start, continue to run the starter motor in attempt to start the car which results in overheating of the starter cable. The overheated starter cable causes the cable insulation to melt, smoke and catch fire.

View Quote

so drilling a hole in a container that is meant to contain positive pressure is a good idea now?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#43]
That's odd....my 2013 F150 5.0 hasn't had a hiccup.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#44]
In this thread we have people whose pet trucks a) break in half (Toyota) and b) burst randomly into flames (Chevy) talk shit on Ford owners for a somewhat minor issue that can be addressed with a flash, and is not isolated to Ford products but rather any gas turbos.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neither has my '12 ecoboost that has been tuned since it's first oil change.....
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#46]
What's that? A turbocharged gas engine is a poor choice for a work vehicle? Who could've seen that coming?

(Former Turbo Mopar owner, and current Turbo VW owner)
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Lifelong Ford guy, but I've owned a Tundra Crewmax for the last month and love it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surely you're kidding? In parts you're maybe looking at $200 for OEM stuff.

There are easy ways to remove the plugs without having to extract them. With the engine slightly warm, use penetrating oil and let it seep in. Break them loose with 1/4 or less of a turn. Spray more penetrating oil. Then have a go with the impact. They will break, but not fall in. Every Ford tech should know how to do that. It's the same from 04-08 on F150s and 05-08 Mustangs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

i dare you to keep it past its warranty
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:46:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of my Fords have been under warranty

None had issues. The 4 Mustangs I've had I beat the shit out of on the regular basis. The F150 was too slow to have fun in and my Ranger was my first vehicle. Nothing more than routine maintenance and optional fun mods in any of them.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top