Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 7/31/2014 4:23:02 PM EDT
I've read about it happening but it never happened to me until today. Went to pass someone in the rain, and when I gunned it, the truck lost power and the check engine light started flashing. After about 10 seconds it started running right again. Good thing I had plenty of room to pass. 2013 F150 with 15k miles.

UPDATE:

Traded the truck in and used the equity to pay cash for a pristine 1st gen Tundra doublecab. I will say I only lost about 1k on the Ford, and I put over 16000 miles on it. The tundra is noticeably slower, but I love it. Frame has no rust, and this truck should last pretty much forever, I also like it not being so fucking enormous as the F150. Reminds me of my old land cruiser but with a pickup bed. Ford has great ideas, but they don't seem to care much about working the kinks out. Plus, not having a car payment again is glorious.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an expensive, dangerous, piece of shit.

From a ford guy
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Been reading up on that.  My 2013 F-150 Ecobust has developed an intermittent shutter but nowhere near as bad as you describe.

They were supposed to have fixed it. They clearly didn't.  The running theory is that it is condensation buildup in the CAC.  Guess a few people will need to die before they actually fix it.

http://blog.bluespringsfordparts.com/245/ecoboost-shudder/
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the specific issue?  Do you have a link to more information about that particular defect?

I just wonder if it only affects the V6 or whatever it is could potentially affect my wifes 1.6?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From a ford guy
View Quote

I've had that happen with a Jeep 4.0L too.

What's the point?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Tagged
View Quote

GTFO with your awesome dozer, bro.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the specific issue?  Do you have a link to more information about that particular defect?

I just wonder if it only affects the V6 or whatever it is could potentially affect my wifes 1.6?
View Quote

I'm only aware of it affecting the 3.5 engine. Supposedly the issue was remedied for 2013, but apparently not. Post above is correct that the prevailing theory is water ingested through the inter cooler. Funny thing is I was on the way home from looking at a Tundra because of transmission issues ford won't acknowledge. Not sure what to do with it. Definitely won't be keeping past the warranty period.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's the point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a ford guy

What's the point?

It seems to be very common if not endemic to ecoboost F150s, and ford can't seem to figure out how to fix the problem. I'm guessing they won't acknowledge it because they can't afford to recall millions of trucks without a fix.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Been reading up on that.  My 2013 F-150 Ecobust has developed an intermittent shutter but nowhere near as bad as you describe.

They were supposed to have fixed it. They clearly didn't.  The running theory is that it is condensation buildup in the CAC.  Guess a few people will need to die before they actually fix it.

View Quote

Cac is Latin for shit.  Just sayin`.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They shit be damp yo.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Has it been to the dealer for a reflash?

There is a computer update that is supposed to help with this.

If You don't get it fixed the miss will take out the cat converter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tagged

We got these trucks at work.

But i don't
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#14]
here is the fix

In high humidity or rainy environments, the stock intercooler position can lead to condensation water building-up inside the stock cooler. Upon sudden acceleration and boost, this water can be introduced into the engine, causing a misfire event. We recommend using our optional vent-to-atmosphere BOV (blow-off valve) or VTA E-bov (2013-2014 only). These can help evacuate moisture from the charge air stream before it enters the engine's throttle body.

Let em guess, steady statespeed in the rain for a few hours. Stopped, then pulled out and went to Wide Open Throttle and it went into failure effects mode.

Shut it down or wait a few seconds and its ok.

The TSB for 12 and below will not fix it 100% nor, will the cut in of the TSB for 13 and up.

Until they get a full fix, make sure to give it a good blast of throttle from time to time especially when on the highway in rain (like cruise control) for a long period

BTW, DI Volkswagens have the same problem
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Simpler motor (no boost, turbo) is better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

It would be nice if Ford would fix it. I'm not paying 1100 bucks for something Ford should do. Probably trade it in on a Toyota. Ford service seems to be bad at the dealers near me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Better fix, don't ever believe fords advertisements, don't buy a ford truck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Time for a Tundra. You tried.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking at the new 2.7L V-6 Twin Turbocharged Ecoboost.  I wonder what unhappy wonders might come of that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#21]
TSB 14-0017

ISSUE:
Some 2013-2014 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost® engine, and built on or before 12/16/2013 may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after extended operation at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.
ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration level using IDS release 88.03 or higher
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#22]
great. Went from blowing spark plugs through the hood to this..
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh
Meow - Woof

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/14/nhtsa-closes-ford-f-150-ecoboost-acceleration-probe-report/

Typically when we report on the findings of an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it's because the government body has discovered a safety issue and prescribed a recall. In this case, however, NHTSA has closed an investigation into a reported performance deficit without ever getting to the recall stage.

The issue revolves around the Ford F-150 – specifically those equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine – of which some 360,000 were built in the 2011, 2012 and 2013 model years. After receiving an initial 95 complaints, NHTSA opened an investigation last May – almost a year ago – into the reported issue of reduced engine power under hard acceleration. The agency has since received a total of 525 such complaints, and Ford itself reported receiving over 4,000.

Together, NHTSA and Ford determined that the problem resulted from cylinders misfiring, an issue itself stemming from water getting into the charge air cooler (CAC) mated to the turbochargers. In particularly humid or rainy conditions, water was found to get into the CAC, causing some of the cylinders to misfire, which in turn triggered the ECU to disable those cylinders in order to protect the catalytic converter from damage.

Ford conducted its own testing and, rather than issue a recall, published a series of technical service bulletins prompting dealers to install deflect shields onto the CAC in the vehicles in question, solving the problem to 95-percent effectiveness in 2011-12 models and 100 percent in 2013 models. Apparently satisfied that Ford had resolved the issue, NHTSA has closed the file on this particular case.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
One of our company trucks had the same problem. I believe they fixed it, I'll ask the driver what the solution was.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh

Puts raw fuel into the converter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter#Damage
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It would be nice if Ford would fix it. I'm not paying 1100 bucks for something Ford should do. Probably trade it in on a Toyota. Ford service seems to be bad at the dealers near me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You don't need the full intercooler just a blow off but, understood.

I love the Eco Boost so much, I deal with it in the rain thing at steady state speed thing. Factory warranty is up for mine in 11 months so its Livernois time and hello high 12's 1/4 mile for a S-crew with 3:73's and Max Tow    

As far as the Toyota, do what you got to do.

I'd rather be ass raped in prison by the Village People then own one ever. Do yourself a favor and check out Dodge or G/M      
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Huh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh

A miss will dump unburned fuel and oxygen into the exhaust.   When that fuel and oxygen reacts in the catalytic converter it releases heat.  If severe enough it can melt down the converter matrix and catalyst.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh

Thought that was pretty common knowledge with cats being around for 30 years or so ??

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I say this in every thread having to do with direct injection. Stay the fuck away from it. It allows build up on your valves and other intake parts. Port injection is good because it cleans the valves off as it sprays past them. Mix bad valve timing (due to sludge buildup) with high levels of advanced ignition timing (due to the fact direct injection supposedly fights detonation) AND high compression levels, (again due to the fact in theory direct injection fights detonation) and what do you get, a lot of rotating assemblies in that can fit in shopping bags because they are in pieces. I promise you the official explanation is bullshit, its a fuel system design problem. Mazda guys have seen it, BMW guys have seen it to a level, Anywhere it has been used it is more pain than promise.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm only aware of it affecting the 3.5 engine. Supposedly the issue was remedied for 2013, but apparently not. Post above is correct that the prevailing theory is water ingested through the inter cooler. Funny thing is I was on the way home from looking at a Tundra because of transmission issues ford won't acknowledge. Not sure what to do with it. Definitely won't be keeping past the warranty period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can water be ingested through the aftercooler (correct term for this type of system)?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've read about it happening but it never happened to me until today. Went to pass someone in the rain, and when I gunned it, the truck lost power and the check engine light started flashing. After about 10 seconds it started running right again. Good thing I had plenty of room to pass. 2013 F150 with 15k miles.
View Quote

My 2012 F-150 (not ecoboost, it's a 3.7L V6) did a similar thing. It was some stupid computer module for the transmission. Quick fix, take it to the dealer and they'll take care of you.

Mine went full retard with the lights when it started doing it. Check engine, airbag, all kinds of lights would go off. It also would lose power and the center screen of the dash would show a wrench symbol where the miles to E usually is.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#33]
sounds like you saved fuel while passing.

the EPA thanks you and Obama is proud of you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As far as the Toyota, do what you got to do.

I'd rather be ass raped in prison by the Village People then own one ever. Do yourself a favor and check out Dodge or G/M  

View Quote

Because, why??
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What's the point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a ford guy

What's the point?

But that was a jeep.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is driving it through their front door illegal?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha. I traded in a Land Cruiser with 220k miles on this truck. Worst mistake of my life. It was stone reliable. I don't have time to be popping into the dealer all the time, plus it's out of my way.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
How can water be ingested through the aftercooler (correct term for this type of system)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turbos compress water vapor too.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Isnt that exactly the same thing that happened to that one guy who had like 2 engines and a long block installed and it still ran like shit?  Cant find the link
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ha. I traded in a Land Cruiser with 220k miles on this truck. Worst mistake of my life. It was stone reliable. I don't have time to be popping into the dealer all the time, plus it's out of my way.
View Quote

Call Them, Tell Them the deal and that You need a reflash.
It's under Warranty and You could probably wait on it, it takes @ 15min tops.
Or Ford will pay for a rental car so You can leave it if need be.

You paid all that money for a new truck, get it fixed (for free) before more damage is done.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#43]
And to think someone told me they'd rather have an eco boost than an 8.1L cast iron Chevy big block for towing a travel trailer....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#44]
This Ford guy now has 2 Dodge trucks in his driveway.
My dad's eco-shit has been in the shop several times.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#45]
That's why I went with the 5.0
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I've got 2011 model.  I don't think it's an intercooler issue, at least not with my truck.  Conditions weren't right.  I didn't get a warning light either.  They way it cut out was more like traction control cutting the ignition but way more intrusive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#47]
should have got the 302

or 5.0 for you metric people
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's incredibly timely that you post this tonight..... I was crying in my beer tonight over all the problems my 2004 F150 has that need to be fixed and how much it's going to co$t..... It's been two months in the shop.... One of my buddies mentioned the great things Ford is doing with it's EcoBoost engine and I said "Yeah? That's a lot of shit to go wrong in that engine, come talk to me when the owners hit 130, 150k and see what they've had to shell out to keep their truck in service."
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Hopefully it doesn't grenade itself like my co-workers did. Get yourself a God damned Chevrolet Silverado. Silverado's are made  from Chuck Norris movies, big dicks, and real tornadoes
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

This had been an early issue in the 6.4's.  Mine did it a few times over about three years.  They came out with a revised CAC that was replaced free of charge.  The original design allowed condensation to build up in the end tanks and when you gun it it enters the cylinders causing the loss of power.  Complete with a whitish steam coming out of your tailpipe once it was passed.  Mines been problem free since.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top