Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont see how they pay for their overhead. Half the time I go in our local store there are no customers. On the other hand, believe it or not, at the Florence AL store last month they internet price-matched a new FN Winchester Model 70 for me, and took a used Stevens 200 in on trade to boot - and I got new blue book value out of the Stevens!?!?!?! I was shocked. Sometimes you just got to get the right salesman I guess. There weren't many in that store that day either.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stopped going to Gander when the wife pointed out that we could never get anyone to help us when she was there (she's asian, I'm honkey).  I assume it was just that one Gander Mountain, but it kind of soured me on the whole experience.
View Quote

Not the only one.  Ours is the exact same way
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]

I haven't been to Gander Mountain in about 3 years. However, about 5 years ago in the depths of the economic recession

I bought two used guns from Gander. I happened upon a used 4 inch blue Colt Python in about 85% condition for $700. I bought it on the spot,

it is worth at least $1500 now, judging by the ones sold on gunbroker.com. It looks 90% now with original new condition wood grips

and a little polishing and cleaning. I also bought a used but like new SIG P239 for $495 which was also a good deal. The same gun now lists for at least $799.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I dont see how they pay for their overhead. Half the time I go in our local store there are no customers. On the other hand, believe it or not, at the Florence AL store last month they internet price-matched a new FN Winchester Model 70 for me, and took a used Stevens 200 in on trade to boot - and I got new blue book value out of the Stevens!?!?!?! I was shocked. Sometimes you just got to get the right salesman I guess. There weren't many in that store that day either.

View Quote

There are always more employee cars in the parking lot than customers at our store.  It is a very large nice store with shitty service and pricing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I saw a Glock 26 for $700 at one once.
View Quote

So have I. No idea how they are still open.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I do remember walking into ours during the height of the last panic just out of curiosity since they have a huge gun selection and the shelves were nearly bare except for a few 22 cal ARs and some fudd shotguns
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been buying some .22 lately and looked at their guns. I was shocked. They are priced MSRP + 20%. They tell me they sell 15 to 20 guns a day. All I could say was WOW and walked away.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
This may be hard for some of you to comprehend, but there are those for whom a couple of hundred bucks difference in price for something is at the noise level, and the convenience and availability are more important than the money. That is, in part, likely how Gander Mountain stays in business.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they won't be for much longer, at least not all of them.  There was supposed to be an IPO around 3 or 4 months ago, which never happened.  Also, during the panic, they expanded exponentially.  There are now 9 Gander Mountains in NC, before the panic there were 3.  None of them are making money, which I know with absolute certainty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This may be hard for some of you to comprehend, but there are those for whom a couple of hundred bucks difference in price for something is at the noise level, and the convenience and availability are more important than the money. That is, in part, likely how Gander Mountain stays in business.
View Quote

We have a Walmart and a Dick's within a few hundred yards of ours and yes all three suck but???
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
They will price match anyone with it in stock as long as it's a brick and mortar store, just ask them.  The price is high on some stuff but lower on others, used guns in particular. My understanding is that it is a function of the way the company operates, specifically with regard to it classification of and approach to helping customers (they break it down into 3 categories). Most will just pay the price as long as it isnt insane, but for the price sensitive group like most folks here they keep the base price a bit higher so they can run specials since everyone likes a sale. I dont agree with the reasoning, but I can see why they do it.

As a company they have all sorts of shit fucked up. Their staffing policies (Gander staffs at about 8% of cost where the industry standard is 25% payroll costs), which of course affect the customer experience, and the way they approach retail associates (almost no on in the store you will interact with is full time which makes it hard to keep knowledgeable, professional employees). But pricing inconsistencies really arent that bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say they won't be for much longer, at least not all of them.  There was supposed to be an IPO around 3 or 4 months ago, which never happened.  Also, during the panic, they expanded exponentially.  There are now 9 Gander Mountains in NC, before the panic there were 3.  None of them are making money, which I know with absolute certainty.
View Quote

They were reportedly bankrupt 5 years ago but are somehow still going
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
One near me expanded too.

Although, they did it to get ahead of the new Cabelas that was about to open.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stopped going to Gander when the wife pointed out that we could never get anyone to help us when she was there (she's asian, I'm honkey).  I assume it was just that one Gander Mountain, but it kind of soured me on the whole experience.

Hah.  We tend to assume that when we get the bad inter-racial couple vibe it's an outlier rather than the rule...  Good to know.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When ours first opened their Glock prices were sky high but they did add night sites, etc to most of the guns in the display.  What they tack on just to have a ( gunsmith ) in the store just doesn't make sense.
View Quote

Unless they're an 07 FFL, they can't do that

Some of their shotgun prices are OK
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a friend that works there as a second job. Doesn't even get an employee discount.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Huntsville Cabela's

I guarantee you this will close the Huntsville AL Gander
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a friend that works there as a second job. Doesn't even get an employee discount.
View Quote

Must depend on the Manager.

The one here, they get discounts. Rule of thumb is, if you want a gun, check 3.5 first.
50% off MSRP on select Browning guns.

Also, you can get 'points" from S&W for selling their guns. You can basically get free guns from S&W
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When ours first opened their Glock prices were sky high but they did add night sites, etc to most of the guns in the display.  What they tack on just to have a ( gunsmith ) in the store just doesn't make sense.

I don't know what kind of FFL ours has but many years ago when they added an on site gunsmith they tacked $200 onto each gun sold because it had been (inspected ) by a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#21]
GM just opened a new 52K sq ft store near me: link

Crammed full of customers every time I'm in there. Must be doing something right.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#22]
for what its worth, they match prices
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Gander around me is weird.  They will have crazy high prices on some guns, but I have seen some good prices on used guns.
View Quote

This. Scored an early 80's Ithaca 37, full length mag tube and parkerized for $200.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There's one in Middletown NY which I'm amazed is still open.

Parking lot is always empty.
View Quote

I know that store. They have to be selling a mountain of clothing and fishing line.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This. Scored an early 80's Ithaca 37, full length mag tube and parkerized for $200.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gander around me is weird.  They will have crazy high prices on some guns, but I have seen some good prices on used guns.

The one here wants $400 for an import marked Yugo arsenal Mauser Mod 98 (WWII German Mauser with nazi cartouches)
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Got a couple screaming deals on Ruger 10/22s and it was the only place I could find the Beretta M9A1 Compacts for some time.

Most of the time, their "sales" is the normal local FFL price. Plus the closest one's used firearms are generally shit & expensive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same hear
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny that you say that, but I had a hunch that they were expanding too fast.

I don't know that they aren't making any money, but I wouldn't be shocked....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There's one in Middletown NY which I'm amazed is still open.

Parking lot is always empty.
View Quote

Just picked up a 10/22 for about $229 from them. Was close to break even versus a transfer in. They tried very hard to sell me targets, eyes and ears, etc.  told the guy the prices were 2x what I could get elsewhere and just cant justify. He did sell me 3 bricks of  .22  at a reasonable non neckbeard price because I bought  the 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I stopped shopping there when the Taurus Tracker 455 I purchased from their used inventory that was "personally test fired" by their on site gunsmith wouldn't even close the cylinder with any brand of ammo loaded in it. I returned to the store to discuss with the "gunsmith" the next day, and was told I needed to send it back myself to Taurus, as he would not touch it, and I was not allowed to return it for a refund. He didn't like it when I asked how he successfully personally test fired the weapon when it wouldn't even close the cylinder when loaded...

This particular store in Peoria, IL was one of them that after Bass Pro opened in town, renovated recently into a super gun and hunting only store with no guns or ammo on the shelves.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought my Sig Mk25 at Gander Mountain, paid $950 and received three free boxes of ammo along with 10% off any firearm accessory. Good deal but I have no interest in buying anything else from them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Ruger LC9 post had me looking at the Kahr CM9 since I have wanted a small 9mm pocket pistol now for at least 15 years.  Kahr list our Gander as the local dealer and knowing how ours is price wise I decided just to go look anyway.  Gun is listed all over Gunbroker for $329-$349.  Our Gander Price for the exact same thing?  $549!!!!  Are they out of there fucking minds and are people stupid enough to pay these ridiculous prices that often?  Their fishing department has always sucked and never has the baits you need especially for the local area and God help you if you need help finding something there.  Store clerks always vanish as soon as you enter their department.  This store has been here for about ten years now and the only time I have ever managed to buy something there was when my kids get me a gift card from there for Christmas.  These stores suck!!!
View Quote

i was expecting this to be a thread about their SHITTY customer service.  but yes, they are overpriced as shit too.  i havent been in one since late last year, november maybe.  but they were still under the impression that the panic was still going on.  $20-$30 for an AR mag, no ammo in any of the common calibers, etc.  that was the last time i'll ever go in one, i had a very shitty experience when trying to find a pistol.  dude seemed like he could care less that i was looking.  so i walked out.  i'd rather support the little guys.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were bankrupt 5 years ago, at which time they were bought by the current owner, David Pratt.  He was planning to take the company public, and the IPO was set for March or April.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They were bankrupt 5 years ago, at which time they were bought by the current owner, David Pratt.  He was planning to take the company public, and the IPO was set for March or April.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

David Pratt needs to be screaming sell sell sell before he loses his ass!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

David Pratt is screaming Merchandising and Floor Plan Resets and Sell More 24.99% Credit Cards, and specifically refusing to change prices on fucking anything that people actually want.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know how Bass Pro or Gander stay in business. Their prices are more full of the tard than a McDonalds outside the Special Olympics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Five or six years ago I ordered in a NIB Marlin XL-7 for a couple dollars over what they were going for at places like Bud's.  No shipping, no transfer, just the background check and out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Gander Mountain here is typically selling at or very near full MSRP for items.

However, they do once in a blue moon have great deals on firearms, but you've got to be ready to pull the trigger on them in the narrow time frames they provide for those sales.

I shop at Gander Mountain primarily due to the fact that they sell more North Face apparel than anyone else in my area and have more Merrell shoes than anyone else in my area.  I'm not a huge fan of buying clothing online, because I like to see how it fits and returning things by mail is a PITA in my opinion. Once and a great while they will have a decent deal on ammo.  

I really wish we had a Gander Mountain Academy shooting center.  I would love to see those go more main stream and be available through out the country.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
This^^^^^^

For all of those on this board that are somewhat gun savvy and know how to find good prices, there are 100 FUD's who don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FUDs and WalMartt types.

This^^^^^^

For all of those on this board that are somewhat gun savvy and know how to find good prices, there are 100 FUD's who don't.

Yup.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

New Huntsville Cabela's

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Huntsville Cabela's

I don't understand how in the blue fuck Gander in Huntsville stays open with Larry's right down the Parkway from them
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Sometimes you can find stuff there from last season on good clearance pricing.  I bought an Under Armour jacket there at the end of spring for like 55% off what it originally sold for.  Once or twice I've bought a single item that I needed right now and couldn't wait for.

Aside from that unless I see some sort of special promotion I stay away from them.  Most of their prices are way out of wack.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know how Bass Pro or Gander stay in business. Their prices are more full of the tard than a McDonalds outside the Special Olympics.

I can assure you that half or better of the people that read that post are going to hell right along with me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I ordered a pistol online a couple weeks ago and needed an FFL to transfer so I went to GM since they are close to my house. They said it would be $75. I said "Are you shitting me?", while he was shaking his head I walked out and got a guy to do it for $20 without a problem. They are horrible.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#45]
A lot of their prices are jacked, but I picked up a Kimber .45 for about $650 and a heavy barrel H&R single shot 12 gauge for $160 from them. But with the recent(ish) BS with them, I wont buy anything from them again.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I worked at one for about 10 months selling guns. Not surprisingly, 96% of the people I sold guns to never touched a firearm before in their life (not hard to tell). Many times I wondered how that place stayed afloat, but after fielding 100 calls a day about availability of .22lr and other various calibers, it was easy to see that FUDDs were the primary patrons. Happily, I pissed off plenty of my higher ups by telling potential customers where they could find better options for cheaper elsewhere, and I felt good about not fuckin' people over with the non-consensual rape that GM commanded.

Thank fuck I'm not there anymore (by choice) although, the amazingly cheap employee prices on some stuff was the only benefit.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I understand that nobody knows everything about every firearm but I'll be dammed if my Gander Mtn don't hire the fattest, dumbest fudd motherfuckers to work the gun counter. The shit I have heard these mongoloids tell customers borders on criminal negligence.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Same hear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same hear

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I worked for GM for a year, and it was the most God-awful piss-poorly managed company I have ever had the displeasure of working for.

I was a department manager, and it was impossible to accomplish anything given their un-navigable politics and corporate bureaucracy.
View Quote

I have a friend who also worked for GM for some time. He left as well.

I did like him calling me up when they got in a trade or used gun at a good deal. Best deal was a new, no box Stevens 200 in .308 for $170.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't care if their prices were good I wouldn't buy a firearm from them. I don't know if they are all like this, but the ones I have been in have all the new guns on a rack and you pick them up or whatever. I was in there looking around and a guy picked up a new kimber rifle and dropped it right on the floor and it bounced around a few times and he picked it up and put it right back on the rack. I can't imagine that's the first time that has happened to some of the nice wood stocked guns.

Right after Obama got elected in 2008 I went to one and was looking around again while I was in town. A guy was in there looking at guns and was bitching about the prices of the ARs going up just because of the election and how GM was gouging. Well first off I'm sure their prices were always high and sucked. THen he got really upset and threw an AR. I started distancing myself from him since he was in the gun section. I started making my way to the door and he started yelling and generally going beserk. The gunsmith who works right next to the gun section and has a little window for you to talk to him picked up a shotgun and pointed it at him and I increased my pace to get the hell out of there. The gunsmith was yelling at him to calm down.

Haven't been back since.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top