BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You're just trying to justify that Miata
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've noticed most of the "I dont care about power, I want my girl car to handle" crowd usually simply cant afford to mod it, doesnt work on their own car, or isnt really into cars in the first place... or some combination of them. Frequently, they cant drive, either.

Enjoy your Miata OP.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I drove a 2003 Crew Cab 4x4 with five passengers and a full bed last Saturday.

One of the girls in the back seat asked me to slow down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First... Torque > all.

Second... You've clearly never driven an F150 with a 5.4. They SUCK. Slow as balls, have to constantly keep it up around 2k to feel like you're doing anything. Why do people say they're underpowered? Because they are. It's pathetic what Ford coaxed out of a 5.4 liter V8. 310 horsepower (in the last iteration) out of 5.4 liters? That's fucking laughable. That much displacement should at LEAST pull down 450HP, and not all the way up at the redline of 5k either. And keep in mind, that measly 310 HP is before all the driveline loss (of which there's quite a bit more than there should be), and it still has to lug around 6000 lbs worth of curb weight.

But you're right OP, HP is overrated. Torque and power to weight ratio is really what matters..

I drove a 2003 Crew Cab 4x4 with five passengers and a full bed last Saturday.

One of the girls in the back seat asked me to slow down.

Ive had people cry in fear riding in this... And?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That too. I've heard many praises about the Ford 300ci I-6 that topped out at 150hp and 260 ft-lbs, and I haven't heard too much bitching about the GM 5.7s that made 225hp and 330 ft-lbs. But, Man... That Ford Modular 5.4 with 300hp and 365 ft-lbs just couldn't get the job done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do internet parrots banter on about the old GM Vortec 5300s and Ford Modular 5.4s as "underpowered?"

Because they are. The vehicles those engines ended up in were dogs unless mods happened.

Yet they were still more powerful than the prior generation, which many claim to yearn for...
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

That too. I've heard many praises about the Ford 300ci I-6 that topped out at 150hp and 260 ft-lbs, and I haven't heard too much bitching about the GM 5.7s that made 225hp and 330 ft-lbs. But, Man... That Ford Modular 5.4 with 300hp and 365 ft-lbs just couldn't get the job done.

The 5.4 made that power later on. Drive an expedition with an earlier 2 valve (~260hp and  355 lb..I call bs on that torque # wikipedia) and tell me how great of a job it did. You seem to be missing the fact that these engines don't make it into vehicles where the power would be sufficient.

Also.

Keep in mind, that we are talking about STOCK motors here. The 300ci I6 is praised because of the awesome torque it makes when built, plus its torque numbers were impressive at the time.

The GD driving appliance apologists are here,

Cant understand 400+hp in a street car? REALLY?

OP IS A FAGGOT

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've noticed most of the "I dont care about power, I want my girl car to handle" crowd usually simply cant afford to mod it, doesnt work on their own car, or isnt really into cars in the first place... or some combination of them. Frequently, they cant drive, either.

Enjoy your Miata OP.
View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]

500 hp from a big block.

It's an experience all it's own.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree with the op. I've owned an ls powered Camaro, a Cummins powered pickup and a "modified" Powerstroke powered pickup.  My current vehicals are a 5.4 F150 and a 5.8 F250.  Except for when I'm towing 1000 gallons of water or fertilizer they are perfectly adequate.  I'd happily trade power to gain mileage.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Rotors-R-Cool:
Did you whisper "no" into her ear?
View Quote

All slothy and rapey-like?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I agree with the op. I've owned an ls powered Camaro, a Cummins powered pickup and a "modified" Powerstroke powered pickup.  My current vehicals are a 5.4 F150 and a 5.8 F250.  Except for when I'm towing 1000 gallons of water or fertilizer they are perfectly adequate.  I'd happily trade power to gain mileage.

View Quote

Have you tried putting a wood block under the gas pedal?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#11]
All I know is I enjoy the hell out of the 420 supercharged horses in my car and wish I had more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I drive a Honda element SC it has under 170hp.

When I wanna feel the rush I ride this.

Dyno says 190hp and weighs under 450lbs as it sits.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I get where you're coming from, but... you're wrong.

Boost that miata, put in a nice suspension and tell me it isn't even more fun.

No red blooded American male has ever said "this car would be more enjoyable with less power".
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Enjoy your Miata OP.
View Quote

Swing and a miss.  So bad that you were actually swinging a bat by yourself in a completely different ballpark from the one this game is taking place in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

at the beginning of the show he is talking with the camera crew, and says "i could have brought my 911T but that would not be very sporting; so instead, i brought my wife's S4 wagon, it's her daily driver..."  

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Of course, driving a fast car fast is even better.

It definitely helps to start with the slow car. I see lots of guys at autox days trying to man handle their new Z28 or Cobra around the track with reckless abandon and ending up getting schooled by an experience guy in a 96 Saturn.

the best is the episode of "are you faster than a redneck" where a young guy in an Audi estate (station wagon) absolutely crushes the guys driving an assortment of hopped up pony cars.

ar-jedi

Could have been an RS6 Avant.

ETA: Beat by your edit with the video.  S4 is still no slouch.

at the beginning of the show he is talking with the camera crew, and says "i could have brought my 911T but that would not be very sporting; so instead, i brought my wife's S4 wagon, it's her daily driver..."  

ar-jedi

The RS4 (and old S4 Avant) were the ultimate sleepers. The RS4 could put many of a sports cars in their place.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Come take the M5 for a spin and let me know what you think. Just make sure and wear a depends just in case.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Audi, handing RWD, shitty handling American muscle cars their ass around a track with corners?

Neva been dun (and then banned from Trans AM) befoe.

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/0409083948.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Of course, driving a fast car fast is even better.

It definitely helps to start with the slow car. I see lots of guys at autox days trying to man handle their new Z28 or Cobra around the track with reckless abandon and ending up getting schooled by an experience guy in a 96 Saturn.

the best is the episode of "are you faster than a redneck" where a young guy in an Audi S4 estate (station wagon) absolutely crushes the guys driving an assortment of hopped up pony cars.

ar-jedi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJEQ90_wFk

Audi, handing RWD, shitty handling American muscle cars their ass around a track with corners?

Neva been dun (and then banned from Trans AM) befoe.

http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/0409083948.jpg

My guess that S4 Avant was only a stage 2 kit so somewhere around 320hp, stage 3!would have been bigger turbos and pushing 400hp. Honestly that was no surprise there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Come take the M5 for a spin and let me know what you think. Just make sure and wear a depends just in case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/c7bf40ab6162acfcca931a3e1f75a65f_zps71317c61.jpg
View Quote
Nah that's too much hp for the street you can't use it ever. What a waste of $$

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#19]
OP it's OK, not everyone can afford  power
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
If I was a miata driver I'd say HP was overrated too
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And it's a rice mobile at that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree. My slow car is a 2013 STi.

And it's a rice mobile at that.

My other car is a 700hp Buick....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have never driven a car with REAL power.
View Quote

I'm going to agree with this one. OP drives slow shit and has never owned anything fun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If you're the guy that DDs a car that you also take to the drag strip on the weekends, it makes sense. I haven't met too many people who do that, though.

But 400+ HP is useless on public roads. It's like hunting deer at close range with a .50 BMG rifle. What's the point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're a strange bird.  This thread, and many others like it, especially as it relates to cars and guns, reinforces this thought.   Just because you can't think of any reason that 400+ HP in a daily driver can be a good thing, doesn't mean no one else can.

If you're the guy that DDs a car that you also take to the drag strip on the weekends, it makes sense. I haven't met too many people who do that, though.

But 400+ HP is useless on public roads. It's like hunting deer at close range with a .50 BMG rifle. What's the point?

Come take a drive with me some time.  With short passing lanes, steep grades, and 70mph speed limits on two lane roads shared with trucks limited to 60mph and lots of clueless tourists, I've found 400hp  to be very useful.   I rarely get stuck behind slow traffic for miles and miles in my CTS-V like I do with most everything else I drive.  In fact, I could really use about 100hp more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
178 hp.

It's how it's packaged.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP it's OK, not everyone can afford  power
View Quote

Mustang.  Your argument is invalid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You will hold that view right up until the moment you drive something with that "overrated horsepower"
View Quote

Not always.  I drove a Rausch stage 4 Mustang to distraction in the curves.  

It had triple the horses of my little supercharged mini.  

He'd pull ahead, and then I'd catch him at the corner.  

Over and over and over.  

The guy hit the interstate and dropped the hammer hard enough that he was having a roadside chat with a MD trooper a mile down the road.  

I had the biggest smile as I passed him.  

He probably wanted to murder me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I've only been in 2 cars that didn't need more horsepower.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

A drift car and a burnout competition car?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I DD a 400hp sedan, it's far from useless.  0-60 in under 5 seconds and a 50-50 weight balance makes every on-ramp, off-ramp, curvy road and big open straight of highway a chance to have a little fun.   For comparison's sake I used to DD a Toyota MR2 Spyder  and hated it, despite it being a "driver's car" with it's mid-engine, 5spd, RWD, and horridly underpowered.

Big HP in a daily also translates into comfort and confidence.   With three passengers, the AC on full blast, and the trunk full of shit for a weekend in Vegas I can still cruise at 100mph in 6th gear without ever needing to downshift, get 25mpg, run a 0-60 faster than most everything on the road and never, ever feel like I need more.  I've done the same trip in a Saturn SL2 and while we made it, it was an uncomfortable cruise at lower speeds with lots of lane changes to yield and turning off the AC to climb hills and turning 6k in 3rd gear to maintain speed... and at the end of the day I still only got a couple MPG better than the CTS-V did.

View Quote

QFT - Cadillac CTS-V for the mutha fuckin' WIN!

I love my V.  It corners like its glued to the road, stops right now, AND has the power to leave a lot of other cars in the dust.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not just wrong, but very wrong.

Torque does nothing.  Pushing on a wall with your hand is torque.  Unless that wall starts moving, you're doing nothing.  Torque with rpm creates horsepower.  Because of that simple fact, horsepower is literally the only thing that matters.  It is the derivative of all the other factors.  Having more torque on the low end means you make more power on the low end.  Therefore, more horsepower is more acceleration, regardless of how you get that power.

Horsepower and torque can never be compared to one another as they can't stand on their own.  Stating a cars torque figure serves only to clue you into the nature of that cars power band.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
tag for the lulz
my weak 238HP flywheel dozer has never failed to be able to move anything movable

i think hp/weight is the thing you are looking for in auto applications  due to safety regs cars have gotten porky

But how much torque does that dozer dump at the flywheel? My guess is around 5-600 ft-lbs.

Torque gets you going. Horsepower gets you going fast.

Torque does nothing.  Pushing on a wall with your hand is torque.  Unless that wall starts moving, you're doing nothing.  Torque with rpm creates horsepower.  Because of that simple fact, horsepower is literally the only thing that matters.  It is the derivative of all the other factors.  Having more torque on the low end means you make more power on the low end.  Therefore, more horsepower is more acceleration, regardless of how you get that power.

Horsepower and torque can never be compared to one another as they can't stand on their own.  Stating a cars torque figure serves only to clue you into the nature of that cars power band.

Torque is a turning or rotational force, not a pushing force. Horsepower is work done over time. Your suggestions that torque does nothing and only horsepower matters are way off base.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#31]
My present car is a 2006 Toyota Matrix, 1.8L four banger with a five speed manual.  It's rated at 126 HP.  I get 32-33 mpg in town, though I've done as much as 35-36 mpg while experimenting with babying it along.  I get 39-40 mpg highway.  I sometimes find myself wishing it had just a bit more poop, was a bit bigger, and got a little better mileage.  Realistically, I realize the old saw of "pick any two".  It's been the best car I've ever owned.  I don't baby the car as a general thing, but I don't race it.  Like the OP said, I drive assertively.

My hottest car was a 1968 Pontiac GTO, with the 400 hi po engine and four speed tranny.  It ran like a scalded cat.  It also got 9 mpg.  Sure was fun, but not practical, I sold it before I moved to Colorado, lo these many years ago.

I've had the new car blues lately, and have been considering the new Mazdas, probably the 3 hatchback or the 6 sedan.  I talked to the owner of a new 3 the other day, he says with the 2.0L four and six speed manual, he's getting 46 mpg.  I like the utility of a hatchback, but then again, the new 6 is a very sharp looking sedan.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Torque is a turning or rotational force, not a pushing force. Horsepower is work done over time. Your suggestions that torque does nothing and only horsepower matters are way off base.

http://youtu.be/ol-XeSEk1sY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
tag for the lulz
my weak 238HP flywheel dozer has never failed to be able to move anything movable

i think hp/weight is the thing you are looking for in auto applications  due to safety regs cars have gotten porky

But how much torque does that dozer dump at the flywheel? My guess is around 5-600 ft-lbs.

Torque gets you going. Horsepower gets you going fast.

http://youtu.be/ol-XeSEk1sY

How do you twist something?  By pushing on 1 end of it.  Torque has to have rpm in order for work to be done, correct?  If horsepower is the end result of both torque and RPM combined, then horsepower is the only measurement you need to be concerned with when discussing the accelerating ability of a vehicle.  Torque is a standstill measurement of the force being applied onto a point perpendicularly offset to the axis of rotation.  This is why it is expressed as lbs/ft.  An x number of pounds pushing against a point x feet away from the axis of rotation.  RPM is the measure of revolutions a motor makes per minute.  Without torque the motor would stall the second it was loaded.  Horsepower is the measure of x amount of pounds applied to a point x feet from the axis of rotation x number of times per minute.  Horsepower is a measurement that accounts for all the factors that create propulsion.  Therefore, it is the direct representation of a motors ability to accelerate a vehicle.

A torquey car that pulls harder at lower RPM does so because the added torque creates more power at that RPM.  I never said torque was completely useless.  I'm simply saying that the torque figure is irrelevant when you are looking for a measurement of the motors ability.

You said it yourself, horsepower is OVER TIME.  Last I checked, cars take time to accelerate.  Torque is a snapshot of time.  NOTHING moves in an instance.

And pushing on a wall is indeed torque.  By pushing in the middle of the wall, the default rotational axis is the point where the wall meets the floor.  By pushing on the wall, I am trying to push it over.  Or rather, spin it upon its lower end.  Since the wall doesn't move, I produce no power.  Nothing happens.  Just an idiot pushing on a wall, aka, torque.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#33]
OP... you can have an economical, reliable car that can also get out of its own way.

like the CTS-V mentioned multiple times in this thread, my C5 Corvette will get nearly the same mileage as an econo car (32 mpg highway when i feel like being bored), but also top out at over 170 mph, and effortlessly cruise down the highway, without the need to downshift to pass people;  downshifting becomes a choice, not a necessity on the highway.  once you get used to the torque and power, you really will miss it.  every time i travel for work i end up in some 4 cylinder econobox rental and requires being driven at 7 tenths just to keep up with traffic on the highway, or merge safely after an on-ramp, etc.

Also, it's just damn fun to down shift and undo all of the eco-saving that some jackass in a prius has tried to do by holding up everyone in the left lane. (pissing off liberals, as we all know, should be a national pastime)

The vette (and to a lesser extent the CTS-V) has a long history of being a superb handling car, taking multiple titles in the American Le Mans series, as well as winning its class at the 24 hours of Le Mans so many times that it literally drove all of the competition out of the GT1 class, so they had to drop down to the GT2 class to have some more european cars to embarrass.

The CTS-V has had a similar (albeit shorter) history of dominating its respective class in the SCCA World Challenge series.  The second gen CTS-V also held the record for the fastest sedan (and wagon) around the Nurburgring Nordschliefe for a few years before the latest RS6 Avant and M5 came along.  i imagine the third gen CTS-V will reclaim the title in the not-too-distant future as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

700+hp fwd street cars.

Drift cars need lots of power, even the amateurs.   One of my shooting buddies has a pretty wild drift car, a tube chassis 350z with dodge nascar motor in it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

700+hp fwd street cars.

Drift cars need lots of power, even the amateur guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

700+hp fwd street cars.

By default, a "drift car" is a car that is already capable of drifting.  Therefore, it needs no more power.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#36]
O.P., this is nothing to fret about. Lots of men suffer from low testosterone, but your doctor can help with that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

By default, a "drift car" is a car that is already capable of drifting.  Therefore, it needs no more power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

700+hp fwd street cars.

My shitbox 240 needed more power.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Lotta CTS-V bros in here. 'sup
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I owned a Mazdaspeed 3 once. 263 horsepower in a four door hatchback.

I figured out that horsepower costs more to buy, more to fuel, and more to pay the consequences if you get caught using it.

After a year or so of owning that car, I didn't really drive it any differently than any other car, except for on ramps. Basically, I realized I had paid too much for a Mazda 3 that had features that I never used.

My first "real" car was an 89 Mercury Tracer.  It had 88 horsepower, which was a lot for a small car at the time. I can remember having as much fun driving that car as I did the Mazda.

But, I could get 40+ mpg on road trips with it.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I figured out that horsepower costs more to buy, more to fuel, and more to pay the consequences if you get caught using it.
After a year or so of owning that car, I didn't really drive it any differently than any other car, except for on ramps. Basically, I realized I had paid too much for a Mazda 3 that had features that I never used.
My first "real" car was an 89 Mercury Tracer.  It had 88 horsepower, which was a lot for a small car at the time. I can remember having as much fun driving that car as I did the Mazda.
View Quote

So much like the OP, you're not really much of a car guy. Good to know.
I'm guessing either you or the OP is the prius driver in this video...
http://youtu.be/3yzVVN43Z5o

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Outside of the drag strip, the horsepower wars have little purpose..
View Quote

So by OP's rationale, an AR-15 has little purpose outside a theater of combat.
Firearms, for that matter, have little purpose beyond law enforcement and military uses.

Am I missing something here?

It does not fucking matter what purpose someone thinks something is for.  If I WANT a car that accelerates so hard as to give passengers whiplash, and I have the means to acquire it, anyone who questions my 'purpose' can BITE ME.

edit:  the responsibility of said ownership is MINE, not yours
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm at 544HP at the wheels so around 660HP and I've got some sweet suspension mods. I LOVE taking a ridiculously curvy road here called Lime Creek Road. It's where everyone with a "Handling" car or bike goes to play in the twisties. Horsepower is NOT overrated. Sorry. It's a blast.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#43]
My 95 Cobra lives at 3k-4k rpm in city driving.   Merging and ooening it up on drive to work I regularly hit 5k rpm with it.

Smiles per mile.   I break it, i fix it.

Gas, even at 9mpg, is cheaper than ammo.

So torque and peak HP, i enjoy both.

New engine will hopefully rev well to 6500 rpm and make 330-350 rwhp naturally aspirated.

I could make it a lower reveing torque engine but it is bad enough holding through 1st into 2nd with 220-240rwhp.     I will take the cam/intake/heads that let it come alive from 3-6.5k rpm.     2nd and 3rd gear should become pretty fun.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I went from a 2001 outback (3400 lbs, 160 HP, DOG), to a 2014 Forester XT 250 HP( 3400lbs, 250 torque at 2000), seeing the panic in a Dodge Magnum owners face when we were going up old white bird grade(yeah OLD whitebird grade, think 7 miles of 2 lane uphill pavement/gravel hairpin turns, cliffs on one side, and NOBODY on it, ) and he couldn't keep up with me. Balance has a place, power does as well, SURE he could put power to the pavement, but he couldn't corner well, couldn't drive his rig, and had issues. DANM I remember that drive was sweet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Drive a 1982 Mercedes-Benz 240D with a wide ratio manual transmission then get back to me about horsepower being over-rated.
View Quote

Or my 68' 200D.  A real barn burner it is compared to my G37.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lotta CTS-V bros in here. 'sup
View Quote

The performance of a Corvette with comfort and room of a Cadillac.  What's not to like?

Potato pic I took at our local club 3-gun match last weekend:

" />
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck that!  My GTI has about 250-260, and I use it all the time.  It definitely cost more though!  Tires about $700 and last 30k miles at best, compared to $300 and lasting 40k miles in the TDI.  I get 24mpg instead of 44mpg running around town.  I figure the GTI will have double the cost of ownership, even though it only cost a couple grand more.  Gotta pay to play.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#48]
The 400+ hp and torque in my 6.2L truck is worlds better to have on tap than the 270hp my old 5.3 had. The mpg difference is negligible between the two. In a case like this, what's not to like about more power? If you don't need it, keep your foot out of it. But, if you need it or you want to have fun with it, then it's there for you to use. (I know, 400 is not much. Especially in a truck)

A friend of mine had a CJ5 with a 4cylinder, a CJ7 with a straight 6 and a Willys with a 327. The CJ5 could not get out of it's own way and barely made it up the paved roads in our area. The CJ7 and Willys had plenty of power (I wouldn't say an over abundance). The kicker is that they all got about the same mpg, but the low horsepower CJ5 was a downright  danger on public roads.

More power than what you need is better than needing more than what you have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Come take a drive with me some time.  With short passing lanes, steep grades, and 70mph speed limits on two lane roads shared with trucks limited to 60mph and lots of clueless tourists, I've found 400hp  to be very useful.   I rarely get stuck behind slow traffic for miles and miles in my CTS-V like I do with most everything else I drive.  In fact, I could really use about 100hp more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're a strange bird.  This thread, and many others like it, especially as it relates to cars and guns, reinforces this thought.   Just because you can't think of any reason that 400+ HP in a daily driver can be a good thing, doesn't mean no one else can.

Does it need 100hp more, or 500lbs less? I'd bet the latter would produce much better results.

The current model weighs 4,220 lbs. That's one fat fatty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Hell this is my newest toy that I just bought. At a whopping 235HP it's a BLAST to drive and will ROAST the 315 rear tires

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top