Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2014 8:56:21 AM EDT
hardest rain of the year yesterday and there was a 10 ft section of carpet in an upstairs room along the baseboard that's soaked..The wall isn't wet...the ceiling isn't wet...I went into the attic and couldn't find any leaks or wet insulation (but the attic is segmented and hard to navigate) roof was replaced in 2012 (according to the previous owner)..Roof guy comes on Monday..any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe coming in from a window and running down the inside of the wall and running into the room when it hits the bottom of the wall?  Other than that it sounds like it would almost have to be the roof.

ETA:  If there is a window near the leak go outside and check for gaps between the window frame and the siding/brick and if you find any caulk them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Exterior wall with brick fascia?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe coming in from a window and running down the inside of the wall and running into the room when it hits the bottom of the wall?  Other than that it sounds like it would almost have to be the roof.

ETA:  If there is a window near the leak go outside and check for gaps between the window frame and the siding/brick and if you find any caulk them.
View Quote

This. Had to recaulk a few of mine for this very reason.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Got into a crawlspace/storage area and found the wetness behind the wall...looks like the roof...couldnt see it earlier because it was in a cramped area near the eaves...this roof is less than 3 years old
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got into a crawlspace/storage area and found the wetness behind the wall...looks like the roof...couldnt see it earlier because it was in a cramped area near the eaves...this roof is less than 3 years old
View Quote

It might be warrantied if it's that new.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]
What does the "wet" smell like?  Is your dog afraid of rain?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have crappy wood windows like I do, check and make sure the bottom ledge board has not rotted out on one.  I have had that happen already with several windows less than 20 years old.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Should still be under warranty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What does the "wet" smell like?  Is your dog afraid of rain?
View Quote

My first thought.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok...need to find out who did the roof
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a tie in along a wall. Flashing is my guess. Stepped roof?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a tie in along a wall. Flashing is my guess. Stepped roof?
View Quote

here's a look...roof is pretty normal but its alongside a dormer  right hand dormer the leak is a few feet from the window

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
$10 on flashing leak where the dormer wall meets the roof.

And whoever designed that roof needs to be shot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$10 on flashing leak where the dormer wall meets the roof.  

And whoever designed that roof needs to be shot.
View Quote

yeah its a little "busy"  but sub 300k and 2.5 acres i can overlook it
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#15]
roofing guy came today...said that the roof looked good except for an exposed nail head in the area where the leak was....1 exposed nail head...he said that COULD have been the sole cuplrit but the only way to know for sure would be to pull back some shingles....I said patch it and lets wait and see
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Call another roofer if you can, I realize you want to excersize warranty where possible, but I see
several possible locations that could leak that kind of water into a wall. Got to take up some shingles
and start tracing stains on felt/decking/metal.  2nd and 3rd opnions are allowed.
Roof to wall junctions,  wall over a valley ( your porch roof under the end dormer). or could be a bad valley
on the top side of a dormer, or even higher! Was on the repair dept.for a number of years. Learned first hand that
water can run sideways really easy, and even uphill given the right combinaton of conditions.
Repairs & searching out problems can be a bitch, but if you can get someone that has done the roofing gig
long enough, they will find the true source.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#17]
One nailhead did NOT do that.  Your roofer is a cock.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top