BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because the higher ups at Star Fleet were too busy having sex with; Androids, Engery beings, Ghosts, Telepathic rapists, Alternate Universe versions of themselves, Robots, Androgynous Aliens, Holodeck fantasies, etc.

They were all sex perverts, why do you think people joined Star Fleet? Sex tourism, thats why.

View Quote

If you're ever in WA let me know, I'd love to buy you a beer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why would they put ships with families aboard in such a high level of danger without evacuating the civilians first.  There was ample opportunity to move them to a single cruiser to send them to Earth or a local space station.
View Quote

The only ship we know had civilians aboard was Sisko's USS Saratoga.

11,000 dead @ Wolf 359
39 starships

That's an average of 282 dead (or assumed dead/assimilated) per starship.

While some of the ships had crew complements (this is officers/enlisted, not families) as few as 80 (Oberth class), most of the cruisers (Excelsior class, Nebula class, Ambassador class, Niagara class, Challenger class) had crew complements of 600-1,000.  

Based on the relatively low casualty count for 39 starships, it is indeed likely that almost all the Federation ships had evacuated the civilians.

The USS Saratoga may have been late to the party and may not have had time to evacuate its civilians.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea, but this concert kicked ass.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why would they put ships with families aboard in such a high level of danger without evacuating the civilians first.  There was ample opportunity to move them to a single cruiser to send them to Earth or a local space station.
View Quote

Ships with families on board is a fucktarded concept.

The Borg was such a threat than even a great sacrifice was worth to try destroy their cube.

Jeri Ryan has an incredible ass.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Because is a science fiction story!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because is a science fiction story!
View Quote

Sci For has strategy also.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
After Locutus was rescued and turned back into Picard, why didn't the Federation use his knowledge to build ships with shields or weapons as good as the Borg Cubes?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Because Starfleet knew the Borg threat was real but needed to shock the Federation into allowing it to shift to a more military organization with a big loss.

Note that most of the ships lost at 359 were crappy old Excelsior class starships.

The troof is out there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Well Excelsior and Miranda class ships were more than a 70 year old design.

How well do you think a WW2 task force would do against a Arleigh Burke-class destroyer?

But yeah the writing is Star Trek (even DS9) is bullshit at times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BEcause it was a bad show with bad writing. Why is it that something that wiped out dozens of ships can be single-handedly held off by the enterprise?

How well do you think a WW2 task force would do against a Arleigh Burke-class destroyer?

Okay, well then that begs the question of why they threw a bunch of obsolete ships against an existential threat.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Star trek has always been lacking on tactics, especially when you consider how far a reach their weapon systems have vs the "knife fight in a phonebooth" distance at which engagements take place.

TACTICS!!!

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/ds9_battle.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2010/04/stods9580kv.jpg
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If your enemy can adapt to all your energy weapons why wouldn't you replicate WWII 16" battleship cannon to go on top of your spaceship, or a cruise missile? It seems that the one time a gun was used on one of those bastards it worked really well but apparently no one ever thought going old school might be a permanent solution.

ETA: It seems like at some point someone might have thought "Hell nothing else we've tried works so lets see about this."
View Quote

I never understood that either, it's always:  I'll take a couple hours, and re modulate all the phasers, and between the entire crew we might get 1, or 2 shots." Not "Give me five minutes, and I'll just replicate a shit ton of Thompsons, and some ammo, problem soved."

Also the holodeck thing:  Picard goes out of his way to start a chapter in a holonovel, then look for a thompson, and nearly blows it, when instead he could have said "Computer, M2 Browning, fully loaded".  Or: "Computer, turn my arms in to mini guns, and give me a 20mm cannon for a dick".
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Okay, well then that begs the question of why they threw a bunch of obsolete ships against an existential threat.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
BEcause it was a bad show with bad writing. Why is it that something that wiped out dozens of ships can be single-handedly held off by the enterprise?

my understanding was that they just gathered all the ships that happened to be within range, and that happened to include a bunch of ships that were ostensibly mothballed, being that close to Earth they just didn't have many of the newer sips around because they weren't seen as needed there.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just started DS:9 again and watched Emissary a couple nights ago.  When it came to Picard, he mad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
because it would have avoided Sisko's brooding backstory and the subtext for an entire $pin-off.

I just started DS:9 again and watched Emissary a couple nights ago.  When it came to Picard, he mad.

I really wish they'd gotten Picard in a few more episodes and explored that deeper. Picard is awesome.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A photon torpedo is nothing more than a nuclear missile that uses anti-matter instead of U238 U235 for a warhead. Also quantum torpedo is to a photon torpedo, what a fusion bomb is to an atomic bomb, only with less gains in yield.  They are NOT kinetic weapons, despite what Star Trek Online would have you posers believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised Starfleet hasn't developed a missile or weapon designed to do just that...............a kamikaze that is computer controlled to hit a target at high warp speed

Quoted:
Because none of them were brave enough to ram the Borg ship at Warp.

They did, er, will. They'll be called photon torpedoes and improved models will be quantum torpedoes. They are made to be fired at warp since phasers don't work at warp speeds.

A photon torpedo is nothing more than a nuclear missile that uses anti-matter instead of U238 U235 for a warhead. Also quantum torpedo is to a photon torpedo, what a fusion bomb is to an atomic bomb, only with less gains in yield.  They are NOT kinetic weapons, despite what Star Trek Online would have you posers believe.

Fixed it for you.  Actually Photon Torpedo's are anti-matter weapons, each holds a quantity of anti matter in a magnetic bottle, and when the warhead detonates the anti matter is simply allowed to mix with the regular matter. Boom.  They are variable yield.  A quantum Torpedo uses an artificial quantum singularity (black hole) instead of anti-matter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1) The guns were replicated, e.i. they were real (hence why they did damage). While normally replicated holodeck material is recycled, it is a trivial thing to disable and was done in many episodes for trivial things. Or they could have used any food replicators to make guns, albeit limited by the size constraints of the smaller replicators.
2) Over penetration would indeed be a problem, however the whole "borg assimilating the crew and trying to destroy the past of the Earth" would seem to make it a reasonable risk to take at that point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your enemy can adapt to all your energy weapons why wouldn't you replicate WWII 16" battleship cannon to go on top of your spaceship, or a cruise missile? It seems that the one time a gun was used on one of those bastards it worked really well but apparently no one ever thought going old school might be a permanent solution.

ETA: It seems like at some point someone might have thought "Hell nothing else we've tried works so lets see about this."
I remember that scene. I wondered why the hell the Captain didn't immediately have the holodeck replicate a few proper rifles and start a real counter-attack. He was familiar with the technology, and obviously knew that the projectiles would work.

1)The weapons would disappear as soon as it left the holo deck
2)Over penetration is a major concern on a starship.  nick an EPS conduit and a entire deck might explore like a bridge helm console.
1) The guns were replicated, e.i. they were real (hence why they did damage). While normally replicated holodeck material is recycled, it is a trivial thing to disable and was done in many episodes for trivial things. Or they could have used any food replicators to make guns, albeit limited by the size constraints of the smaller replicators.
2) Over penetration would indeed be a problem, however the whole "borg assimilating the crew and trying to destroy the past of the Earth" would seem to make it a reasonable risk to take at that point.

It was not replicated, he simply turned off the holodeck safeties.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Maintenance call log:

Stardate 42009
Call: 03:46 - Security Emergency
Complainant: N/A

Report: We were boarded by some Romulans at about 3:25, smack dab in the middle of my lunch break. Security details were sent to the locations where the Romulans had beamed aboard and a huge sissy fight erupted with phasers. I used the replicator to make a .45 pistol and I went down and shot them all in the head. A couple of them shot at me but I just casually stepped out of the path of their phaser beams. Somehow, LaForge managed to take the credit claiming he "disabled them with a phase-inversion field by venting the plasma containment units." Oh, is that why maintenance spent three hours cleaning brain-smeared bullets out of the corridor walls on deck 18? Fucking asshole.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that scene. I wondered why the hell the Captain didn't immediately have the holodeck replicate a few proper rifles and start a real counter-attack. He was familiar with the technology, and obviously knew that the projectiles would work.

1)The weapons would disappear as soon as it left the holo deck
2)Over penetration is a major concern on a starship.  nick an EPS conduit and a entire deck might explore like a bridge helm console.

They had equipment replicators, they were always replicating parts or equipment for some other ship or planet so I don't think it would be hard to deal with. On the over penetration issue supposedly their alloys were so strong I don't think FMJ going through a bulkhead would be much of a problem and if it was it would be nothing to have the ship's computer think up some new bullet ammo that would be safer for equipment.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Locutus would've seen it comming.
View Quote

He did see it coming; he led the attack.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Commodore Decker beamed down the crew of the USS Constellation to a planet and look what happened to them.

(100 old school geek points to anyone who gets the reference.)

Too easy. Any extra points for including a pic?
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%20stuff/Doomsday_Machine_zps628b0777.jpg

If redone today episode would be "The Cosmic Fleshlight".

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
HUH?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Why the duck did I just read every post in this thread?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I think you are confused. This is arfcom, not the stargeek forum.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
if Kirk was around NO STARFLEET personal wood have dies    

well maybe all the guys in red shirt mite have died
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it was because they didn't have time to evacuate them.

Starfleet had no military prowess until the Dominion is in the Alpha quadrant.  They were about as useful as a third nipple, and were incredibly short sighted.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%20stuff/Doomsday_Machine_zps628b0777.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%20stuff/Doomsday_Machine_zps628b0777.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because Commodore Decker beamed down the crew of the USS Constellation to a planet and look what happened to them.

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%20stuff/Doomsday_Machine_zps628b0777.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%20stuff/Doomsday_Machine_zps628b0777.jpg</a>

Huh... space fleshlight.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it's a TV show?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Doomsday Machine ate that planet.

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.  Actually Photon Torpedo's are anti-matter weapons, each holds a quantity of anti matter in a magnetic bottle, and when the warhead detonates the anti matter is simply allowed to mix with the regular matter. Boom.  They are variable yield.  A quantum Torpedo uses an artificial quantum singularity (black hole) instead of anti-matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised Starfleet hasn't developed a missile or weapon designed to do just that...............a kamikaze that is computer controlled to hit a target at high warp speed

Quoted:
Because none of them were brave enough to ram the Borg ship at Warp.

They did, er, will. They'll be called photon torpedoes and improved models will be quantum torpedoes. They are made to be fired at warp since phasers don't work at warp speeds.

The quantum warhead relies on rapid energy extraction from zero-point vacuum. This is established from an 11-dimensional space-time membrane, twisted into a Genus-1 topology string, housed inside the ultraclean vacuum of a 1.38 meter-long teardrop shaped zero-point field reaction chamber. The detonation of a photon torpedo warhead, enriched with fluoronetic vapor, inside the torpedo powers a continuum distortion emitter. It expands the membrane and pinches it out of the background vacuum. The membrane forms into subatomic particles accompanied by a high-explosive energy release. -Memory Alpha
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

put a snuke in beverly wesley crusher and offer her up to the borg as a drone. 2 birds 1 stone.
View Quote
FIFY

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top