Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really want to drive a fucking minivan?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
We have an 08 Sienna. Wife loves it. Mpg is only around 20-21 and it has a lot of road noise, but those are minor complaints. It's never been in for anything but an oil change as long as we've owned it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep the Xterra
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Trade the Jeep, keep the X and get a Toyota with a third row seat.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ive driven so many different things in my life, this is far from the worst-more like one of the best- and this is not your Fathers minivan.
It looks good, rides like a 1975 Cadillac, movies to keep the kids happy (2 movies playing at the same time on three screens with cordless headphones that play either movie), satellite radio for whatever music you want, separate climate for damn near every person, leather, roof, so many cup holders and stowage you can pack everything for everyone....
Its not whatever you think it is, its what you would design if you had to for the pleasure of a ride with your family. Happy kids make happy wife, happy wife-happy life, and Im driving the Caddy, jammin out with great fuel mileage and plenty of power.
Lego movie- Everything is awesome!!!!

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The only advantages SUVs have over vans are ground clearance and towing capacity. If you don't need those qualities, there's no point in getting an SUV. Vans have far more interior volume, and the vans of today have better road manners.

Keep the Xterra. Check out the Sienna, and maybe if you're brave, the new Ford Transit Connect.

Besides, when the newness wears off, you'll discover new uses.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read over half of all minivans sold in NA are Chrysler T&C/Dodge GC. More than all the rest put together.

For a reason.

Established platform, comfortable and very utilitarian- it does the job. And the newer ones- with the Pentastar- Wife 50/50 commute averages 21 mpg, we have clocked 29 MPG for full van HWY tanks.

My Wife didnt want to give up her Pacifica, but now she wouldnt take it back.

The very best thing I think ours has is the FACTORY Chrysler MaxCare Lifetime bumper to bumper warranty.

View Quote

There is a reason. They're the lowest bidder, and fleet accountants love them.

The Mopar minivans don't age well at all, excluding the most meticulously maintained and gently driven examples. Most of the examples I've seen with over 100k seemed to have developed leprosy. The '09 I recently drove is in worse shape than my '99 Astro, and that old Astro has not had an easy life.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get the Honda Odyssey. It will fit 5 and all the seats fold down so you can easily haul a couch and a love seat, or two refrigerators. 220 221 whatever it takes.
View Quote

It will fit 8 and still have plenty of room. We have pretty much decided even after the kids are no longer going with us, we are keeping the van.  Drives like a car, good gas mileage, comfortable, plenty of room.  We get anymore from 26-30 mpg.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my 2014 Pathfinder. Seats 7 comfortably. Tons of cargo room if needed. 2wd, awd or fo by fo lock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ive driven so many different things in my life, this is far from the worst-more like one of the best- and this is not your Fathers minivan.

It looks good, rides like a 1975 Cadillac, movies to keep the kids happy (2 movies playing at the same time on three screens with cordless headphones that play either movie), satellite radio for whatever music you want, separate climate for damn near every person, leather, roof, so many cup holders and stowage you can pack everything for everyone....

Its not whatever you think it is, its what you would design if you had to for the pleasure of a ride with your family. Happy kids make happy wife, happy wife-happy life, and Im driving the Caddy, jammin out with great fuel mileage and plenty of power.

http://i45.tinypic.com/640ww1.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/1feqh5.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.tinypic.com/640ww1.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/1feqh5.jpg

This.  Plus I have two infants.  Automatic sliding doors make life sooo much easier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Skip the flimsy toy unibody Jap crap and find you a 2500 suburban.....

Of course, fuel economy should rank real low on your list.

8.1L of cast iron american goodness, hauls my family of five plus dog and all their shit while towing 8k lb camper with buttery comfort and ease.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a Nissan Xterra and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I need more room for my family of five. I am looking for a daily driver for my wife and a vacation capable vehicle for all five of us.

I am looking to trade in either the 2007 Xterra or the 2007 Jeep hemi. Whichever vehicle we keep will be my daily driver.

So, which vehicle would you keep?

What vehicle do you recommend in my position to comfortably fit five? I am thinking used whichever I choose. I am looking at the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Highlander at the moment but am open to other choices.

Thanks
View Quote

Toyota sienna awd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Suburban. You can never have enough room.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
love my Armada. we have 3 kids too. mucho leg room in all rows
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Super crew cab truck? My f150 screw carries 5 people easily and with the backflip cover on the bed packing to go anywhere is a breeze. I had to sell my Mustangs when the 2nd kid was born but at least I still get the v8. :)
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/molardog/media/photobucket-4847-1362699507333_zps147d7765.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n469/molardog/photobucket-4847-1362699507333_zps147d7765.jpg</a>

8.1L of cast iron american goodness, hauls my family of five plus dog and all their shit while towing 8k lb camper with buttery comfort and ease.
View Quote

A fuel bill as high as the payment? What's not to love?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
We have 5 in my fam, in MN 4x4 is a must. My fleet is a 02 2500 4x4 Suburban, 98 Astro AWD and a 14 AWD Traverse with 2nd row captains chairs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#20]
The parents have put 300,000 miles on two Odyssey's. They are a great vehicle. I'm not personally a fan of the style but you will not find a more functional vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 2007 Odyssey with 110K miles on it. I love the damn thing, My daily driver is a 12 F-150 Lariat but I enjoy driving the minivan. I have three kids 8 and under. I hope to get another 90K miles out of it and then buy another. The 3.5 liter is rock solid. I am also an ALPHA male and the bitches know I produce cute kids.
View Quote

My parents are still driving a 2000 Honda Odyssey.  I'm not sure what the mileage is up to now, but it was over 350K last time I saw the vehicle.  Still runs well.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just went through this.  We had a Buick Rainier (Trailblazer clone) and were looking at another midsize SUV.  Compacts were out as we travel with a dog kennel that takes up quite a bit of space in the cargo area.

Anyway, Honda V6 vehicles (Accord, Odyssey, Pilot) have a history of transmission problems and now they have issues with the cylinder deactivation systems, so they were scratched off the list.  My last four vehicles were GM... not in a rush to get another. Plus, the Acadia/Enclave/Traverse have transmission issues.  I was in a brand new Enclave, didn't even have its first oil change, and the touch screen was flickering badly.  

We were pretty well set on getting a Highlander.  On a lark, I looked at the Toyota Sienna.

The Sienna is less expensive, gets better fuel economy, has more space (more cargo space than a Sequoia!), can haul 4x8 plywood, has available AWD, and is simply a better people mover than the Highlander.  The only thing the Highlander does better is "bad roads" due to the increased ground clearance.

Don't be deceived by the 3rd row on the Highlander - it's for Santa's elves, not humans.

Anyway, we got a 2014 Sienna LE and so far we love it.  Drove it 2,500 miles to Virginia and back and averaged 26.1 mpg.  We're only a family of five so we keep the 3rd row stowed most of the time, so the cargo space we have is absolutely gigantic.  If we need the 3rd row, which will fit adults, we just pop them up.  Another nice thing is the 2nd row slides fore and aft, so you can get some serious leg room back there (no more kids kicking the seats!).  My wife loves that she has a spot for her purse up front and that she can cross her legs in the passenger seat.  The gigantic sliding doors make getting kids in and out of car seats very easy.

Compared to our old SUV, we get 50% better fuel economy in town and about 40% better on the highway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a Nissan Xterra and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I need more room for my family of five. I am looking for a daily driver for my wife and a vacation capable vehicle for all five of us.

I am looking to trade in either the 2007 Xterra or the 2007 Jeep hemi. Whichever vehicle we keep will be my daily driver.

So, which vehicle would you keep?

What vehicle do you recommend in my position to comfortably fit five? I am thinking used whichever I choose. I am looking at the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Highlander at the moment but am open to other choices.

Thanks

I just went through this.  We had a Buick Rainier (Trailblazer clone) and were looking at another midsize SUV.  Compacts were out as we travel with a dog kennel that takes up quite a bit of space in the cargo area.

Anyway, Honda V6 vehicles (Accord, Odyssey, Pilot) have a history of transmission problems and now they have issues with the cylinder deactivation systems, so they were scratched off the list.  My last four vehicles were GM... not in a rush to get another. Plus, the Acadia/Enclave/Traverse have transmission issues.  I was in a brand new Enclave, didn't even have its first oil change, and the touch screen was flickering badly.  

We were pretty well set on getting a Highlander.  On a lark, I looked at the Toyota Sienna.

The Sienna is less expensive, gets better fuel economy, has more space (more cargo space than a Sequoia!), can haul 4x8 plywood, has available AWD, and is simply a better people mover than the Highlander.  The only thing the Highlander does better is "bad roads" due to the increased ground clearance.

Don't be deceived by the 3rd row on the Highlander - it's for Santa's elves, not humans.

Anyway, we got a 2014 Sienna LE and so far we love it.  Drove it 2,500 miles to Virginia and back and averaged 26.1 mpg.  We're only a family of five so we keep the 3rd row stowed most of the time, so the cargo space we have is absolutely gigantic.  If we need the 3rd row, which will fit adults, we just pop them up.  Another nice thing is the 2nd row slides fore and aft, so you can get some serious leg room back there (no more kids kicking the seats!).  My wife loves that she has a spot for her purse up front and that she can cross her legs in the passenger seat.  The gigantic sliding doors make getting kids in and out of car seats very easy.

Compared to our old SUV, we get 50% better fuel economy in town and about 40% better on the highway.

The Sienna is now on the possibles list.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Want" is a strong word. Still, it seems like the tool for the job and I am secure in my manliness.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#24]
My Wife had a new Honda Pilot for work   It'll hold 5 plus room for shit, and it got 20 mpg, and it wasn't a minivan.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything less is faggotry.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#26]
My friend has the Toyota minivan, whatever name that is?

I know minivans aren't "cool" but damn that is one handy and very nice vehicle. We take it to the UP in February pretty much every year. Have driven through serious blizzards. Has plenty of power. Plenty of room. Very comfy. Handled snowy roads like a breeze, as well as the highway travel.

Snow was coming down so hard you couldn't see the road. One of us had a serious GPS set up for his rock crawling stuff. External antenae and a laptop. He blew up the screen large enough that you could see the vehicle on the road. We were driving pretty much by instruments.

I think it had about 160k or so last time we went and it was almost like driving a new vehicle. (except for a transmission vacuum line broke in the -20f weather up there. We got it patched and back we came)
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s339.photobucket.com/user/molardog/media/photobucket-4847-1362699507333_zps147d7765.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n469/molardog/photobucket-4847-1362699507333_zps147d7765.jpg</a>

I paid 15k cash for it two yrs ago.  Good condition ones (mine was in dead mint condition) can be had for a lot less.  Fuel and depreciation are my biggest operational costs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Too softly sprung for my tastes.

Also, V10 engine <<<<< 8.1L Chevy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My friend has the Toyota minivan, whatever name that is?

I know minivans aren't "cool" but damn that is one handy and very nice vehicle. We take it to the UP in February pretty much every year. Have driven through serious blizzards. Has plenty of power. Plenty of room. Very comfy. Handled snowy roads like a breeze, as well as the highway travel.

Snow was coming down so hard you couldn't see the road. One of us had a serious GPS set up for his rock crawling stuff. External antenae and a laptop. He blew up the screen large enough that you could see the vehicle on the road. We were driving pretty much by instruments.

I think it had about 160k or so last time we went and it was almost like driving a new vehicle. (except for a transmission vacuum line broke in the -20f weather up there. We got it patched and back we came)
View Quote

Wife drives an 08 Odyssey.  Vehicle was designed by mommies, for mommies.  I hate driving that damned thing.  Of course, she does too after spending some time in our G37.  She asked me if we could soup up her odyssey.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
The AWD Toyota Sienna loaded is a nice ride. Borrowed my friends for a trip of 5 to mountains a while back. great ride, good fuel mileage, and very comfortable, storage is super. I needed a replacement for myTahoe and I got a AWD Murano SL. The Murano is nice and sporty for what it is. Infinity makes a nice larger SUV, and the new Pathfinder was a nice test ride. I got the Murano because it's just us and our 6 year old.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The lower floor of a minivan is nice too.  It's easier for kids to get in and out of, and the load height for the cargo area is lower compared to the typical SUV.  If you or your wife are short, it makes putting Cases of Stuff from Costco in the vehicle easier.  It also means that you can usually fit taller items in a minivan than you can in an SUV.   The Sienna has more max cargo space than a Suburban, according to the measurements on Edmunds.com.  

I was just in a friend's 2013 Odyssey EX-L... it was very nice, certainly worth a look.  

Really, if you want a van, the only viable choices are the Sienna, the Odyssey, and the Caravan/T&C twins.  The Caravan's Stow-N-Go seats are very nice if you carry cargo very frequently.  However, the seats are not as comfortable as those in the Sienna.  The Sienna 3rd row folds flat into the floor, but the 2nd row has to be unlatched and removed from the van.  Trade-offs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The lower floor of a minivan is nice too.  It's easier for kids to get in and out of, and the load height for the cargo area is lower compared to the typical SUV.  If you or your wife are short, it makes putting Cases of Stuff from Costco in the vehicle easier.  It also means that you can usually fit taller items in a minivan than you can in an SUV.   The Sienna has more max cargo space than a Suburban, according to the measurements on Edmunds.com.  

I was just in a friend's 2013 Odyssey EX-L... it was very nice, certainly worth a look.  

Really, if you want a van, the only viable choices are the Sienna, the Odyssey, and the Caravan/T&C twins.  The Caravan's Stow-N-Go seats are very nice if you carry cargo very frequently.  However, the seats are not as comfortable as those in the Sienna.  The Sienna 3rd row folds flat into the floor, but the 2nd row has to be unlatched and removed from the van.  Trade-offs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, the seats in our 2008 EX-L, like most jap cars I've driven, are complete garbage.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:10:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FWIW, the seats in our 2008 EX-L, like most jap cars I've driven, are complete garbage.
View Quote

I liked the front seats in the Odyssey.  Not as comfortable as a Town Car or as supportive as BMW buckets, but they were comfortable.  I'm pretty small though, so I find most seats to be acceptable.  A guy that's 6'4" and 300 lbs may not agree.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://expeditionoffroad.com/images/FJ100_03_07_Deluxe.jpg

Put the difference in the bank to cover occasional repairs
View Quote

This 100 series for the win
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have an 06 caravan.  I'll never buy another caravan.  Thing is falling apart at 130k.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dodge caravan/chrysler town n country
I have an 06 caravan.  I'll never buy another caravan.  Thing is falling apart at 130k.  
My 05 caravan has 110k and has rusted through the door, tranny problems, engine gaskets leak, squeaks in the suspension.

Never buying a dodge again.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  If its too big for you then get the durango with hemi with 3 row seating.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  If its too big for you then get the durango with hemi with 3 row seating.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top