Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I almost opened a troll account named "Einhorn" just so I could say "Yes, my steamer trunk."
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Shalimar perfume - Mom
Vitalis or VO5 hair goo - Dad (hell, I use it now)
Fiberglass - my surfer days
Wet dog - treasured pets
Diesel exhaust - burn pits in Iraq
Open pit BBQ - Iraq

Top 4 are comfort smells, the bottom 2 not so much, but I did have it pretty easy over there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The smell of Winston cigarettes or the smoke from one reminds me of my Dad, because that was the brand he smoked.

The smell of musty grain reminds me of riding around in the combine with my Dad when I was a kid.

The smell of freshly tilled soil takes me back to my childhood and farming with my Dad (I miss it almost as much as I miss my Dad). The smell of off road diesel does it too.

The smell of various grains takes me back to farming and my grain hauling days.

The smell of burnt rubber takes me back to cruising around on Friday and Saturday nights when I was a teenager, peeling rubber, raising a little hell, and just having some fun with cars.

The smell of on road Diesel fuel takes me back to driving truck (I drove for 10 years).

And the smell of burnt gunpowder, well, it just puts a smile on my face.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes when I deploy or have to get training gear it has a musty smell.  It reminds me of being 5 or 6 years old and finding dad's duffel bag in the closet and eating the MRE cheese and crackers he had leftover inside it and playing with his mess kit.  Seems every time I found it there was a new MRE food to try.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The smell of Southern Comfort still makes me retch, it's probably been 8 years. What a horrible night that was.
View Quote

This but 40 years ago
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Certain perfumes make me think of my Grandma.  Nothing specific.  Just that "old lady perfume" smell.

I was digging around in an old box of random stuff and found an old bottle of Hugo Boss cologne.  Sprayed it and was instantly brought back to about 8th grade, when I wore it.  The specific memory was of the night my friend and I were going out to the movies with his cousin and her friend.  Like a double date.  It was weird how clear it all came back, from when I was so young.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Titty sweat
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I almost opened a troll account named "Einhorn" just so I could say "Yes, my steamer trunk."
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The smell of meatballs frying in olive oil take me back to a better time
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The smell of Southern Comfort still makes me retch, it's probably been 8 years. What a horrible night that was.
View Quote
I can't even look at a bottle of Jim Beam.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 8th graders.................one 1/5th of Scoresby $8.00 bottle of scotch............................................
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Tanqueray Gin.

Me and three buddies ended up with a 5th of that vile shit on a Saturday afternoon.

I can't stand the smell of gin to this day, and that was 36 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
White lithium grease reminds me of my grandfather's garage.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Race fuel - track days on the bike

My favorite smell is fall, i love a cold crisp morning in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was brushing my teeth right now and I briefly caught a whiff of something that reminded me of the chow hall in basic training. The smell of the bagels specifically. We haven't had bagels here at home in a long time.
View Quote

Bagels in the chow hall of basic training?.....LOL

How do you eat those in 30 seconds with an Airborne Ranger WW2 Korea combat veteran E7 DI screaming at you?.....

Can't imagine what would happen if you'd have said yes...when one of those guys asked you if you wanted a "schmeer" with that!

But that reminds me think I will pop one in the toaster oven right now and put some cream cheese on it....maybe with salsa...:)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]
She smell of a kerosene heater makes me think of a childhood friend's home
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I've lost 90% of my sense of smell.  I can only smell things that are really strong. Unfortunately,  those things are usually bad.

I did catch a wiff of a gal's perfume at work today.  It was the same thing a girlfriend in high school wore.  Triggered some fond memories.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
That slightly moldy, mildew smell from an old school surplus store.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That slightly moldy, mildew smell from an old school surplus store.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Cheap flakey white deodorant = basic training

Diesel exhaust & awesome food being cooked outdoors = Latin America

Two stroke exhaust = many fun times
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Strawberry lip gloss!

Takes me back to the summer of 1980.....and my first girlfriend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Fresh cut wet grass reminds me of high school two a days
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
<snip>

Victoria's secret strawberries and champagne lotion
View Quote

This.  The girl I was seeing before I met my wife used to wear this.  We broke up 1999 so it's been a long time, but at first a slight whiff was like a slap in the face.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A Victorias Secret perfume. Pretty much every stripper wore it. Ahhhhh the good ol days.
View Quote

They STILL DO!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Death and transmission fluid.  My first night as a road deputy.

Sometimes I can still smell my dad's cigarettes.  It's odd because nobody smokes in my house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The smell inside a C-130....takes me back 40 years....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
The smell of hairspray reminds me of some good times in the late 1980s.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#29]
The smell of diesel exhaust mixed with sea spray or salt water.  Reminds me of many fishing trips.  I love smelling it, because it means I'm out on the water...

ETA: Also the smell of cheap bath and bodyworks body spray.  Reminds me of junior high school when girls bathed in that stuff.  I didn't like junior high school so it's not really a pleasant smell...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.  The girl I was seeing before I met my wife used to wear this.  We broke up 1999 so it's been a long time, but at first a slight whiff was like a slap in the face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Victoria's secret strawberries and champagne lotion

Same for me when I smell anything 'cucumber melon'. It's an instant time warp.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Freshly spread asphalt and low tide reminds me of home when I was much younger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Halston perfume = Megan Respecki circa 1984.  

Bless you girl, wherever you are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#33]
There is an indescribable smell that someone's occurs early morning spring time when it is about to rain....that smell always takes me back to my first day of school as a little boy. It is the best feelin I have ever felt without the aid of a female
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#34]
eucalyptus and moth balls always takes me back to my grand parents house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Pine-Sol and diesel fuel is the smell of the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Garage on a hot day - especially if somebody just put the lawnmower away after using it: Grandpa's workshop at my Grandparent's place in southern Washington, visiting them in the Summer for 4th of July when I was a kid.

There's grass, dust, old power tools, sawdust, old canvas, cardboard boxes, the smell of a warm plywood workbench, fishing gear that was never rinsed out 20 years ago, model airplane fuel, old gunpowder, boots...

View Quote

This, to the word. Just substitute Ohio in for Washington.  I miss you, Grandpa.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#37]
smell of developing fluid and stop bath. in the darkroom, on the 2nd floor of the family photography studio. Started by grandpa in 1910.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#38]
For some reason, the smell of the grease inside of a wheel bearing that I recently disassembled sent me right to the shop classroom of a local junior high school (not the school I actually attended). My friend an I attended a week long day camp called 'Camp Invention' at this school two summers in a row when we were in elementary school. It has been over 10 years since we did that, but the smell of that grease sent me right back there.

I also recently used Caladryl lotion for the first time in several years, it brought me back to summers of my younger days (damn mosquitoes).
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Cigars- my dad
Diesel exhaust and coffee- my grandmother's house
Spring and fall morning smells- going to school as a kid
Old spice- my dad wore it back in the day and I wear it to work now. It illicits various memories.  Some good,  some bad.

There's a particular perfume,  the name of which I forget.  When I smell that perfume it takes me back to a particular night  and a very passionate kiss from a woman that I loved.   Bittersweet memory.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Had an incident back in 90 with some firewater from south of the border.  Jose Cuervo reminds me of the night a hot married chic, also hopped up with some Jose, jumped in the elevator after me to have sex. Boy lucky for me, my Marine buddies threw her out.

To this day thr smell reminds me of that night.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Diesel exhaust.  I remember when I was a little kid and Mom took me & sis to the downtown Miller & Rhodes store.  Exhaust from city buses driving by when we were walking down the street in the middle of downtown Richmond.

To this day when I smell diesel exhaust I flash on that trip.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Every guy that was a teenager in the 80s has fond memories triggered by Aquanet hair spray.
View Quote

That and Electric Youth perfume.

On that same note, if someone passes by w/ Poison perfume it makes me notice.  Dated a girl in HS/College that wore that exclusively.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Tomato vines bring back my childhood summers..
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Cigarette smoke on a cold winter morning takes me back to walking to class in college, I always loved the smell of cigarettes in the cold still morning air and I am not a regular smoker.

Hawaiian Tropic dark tanning oil.  I had a girlfriend that wore it all summer, she was hot and she was the first big heartbreak of my life. A lot of feelings in one scent.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Grilled cheese and tomato soup, play-doh,  gunpowder, big bowl of Halloween candy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Cow manure, carbureted 350 Chevy exhaust, dirt in the woods, race fuel exhaust, rivers/fishing
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Rain on s summer sidewalk.

The sound of a pressure canner jiggling.

Oranges smell like Christmas, since thats the only time we got them in 1963.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#48]
The smell of wintergreen reminds me of dipping for the first (and only) time.
I barfed all over my friends car.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]
The smell of your skin in the hot sun.  Reminds me of when I was young fishing in our farm pond, no cares in the world other than hooking a bass!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

cheap cigars and old motor oil.  

Grampa Smith.
View Quote

At my Grandpa Smith's it was Hi C, banannas, and chew.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top