Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
you should brush your dag and vacuum your truck
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

See, that's the part of my thread you and several others are missing.
These people want to come over uninvited, unwelcome, and without reason to pet an animal they don't know, don't care about, and will probably never see again.
Our dog does not require you or anyone elses approval.
He's a dog, he's trained to care for us, and your need to touch him is not part of the equation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Omigod, somebody was nice to your dog without YOUR PERMISSION!

These people want to come over uninvited, unwelcome, and without reason to pet an animal they don't know, don't care about, and will probably never see again.
He's a dog, he's trained to care for us, and your need to touch him is not part of the equation.

Do people generally ask permission to pet him though?

Because I have yet to encounter anyone that will just walk right up and start petting either of my dogs, they are huge.

I have always been asked by people first.

If you are pissed off about people that genuinely want to pet a dog, and then ask you permission to pet the dog then maybe you are just a pissed off kind of person.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

ETA:

If your dog was on a leash at the park, would you let strangers come up and pet him?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

If your dog was on a leash at the park, would you let strangers come up and pet him?

YOU ARE NOT INVITED TO THE AREA OF THE RIVER THAT I OCCUPY

YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY CARETAKER

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No because once he starts talking its not easy to shut him up....he just goes on and on and on and on and on......
He wants more food....more meat....bigger bowl.....more truck rides.....wants to go in the butcher shop instead of always
having to sit in the truck.....its how he gets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do not let strangers pet my dog nor did I allow my kid to talk to them
I tell them no if they ask to pet my dogs...he's my dog I don't have to give an answer to anyone.
Friends come over to the house or some relatives thats another story.

You don't let your own family talk to your dog?

No because once he starts talking its not easy to shut him up....he just goes on and on and on and on and on......
He wants more food....more meat....bigger bowl.....more truck rides.....wants to go in the butcher shop instead of always
having to sit in the truck.....its how he gets.

I read it wrong the first time, I thought you meant you wouldn't let your kid talk to the dog, which seemed odd.

Makes more sense when I figured you meant not letting the kid talk to the stranger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a group that we supply food and training supplies for that trains service dogs for vets with PTSD. Never fails if they bring the dog with them wearing a bright red vest with the words, "DO NOT PET, SERVICE DOG IN TRAINING!" some dumbass walks up and just tries to pet the dog.

People are fucking stupid. What I do if I don't want people to approach and pet is tell them when I see them coming to please not approach, we are working on training. I always put the dogs in sit when people are coming, and make them wait until the person is past us.

If someone asks as they approach if they can pet them, I will let them as long as the dogs don't break their sit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

It was said earlier in the thread. If you don't want people to touch your dog, leave the fucking dog at home. There's no other way around it. People are going to want to pet the dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

Yes, I would let them.  My last dog, a Spitz, was a very people-friendly dog and she loved it.

So, the people coming up to pet it are giving approva
l??????????????????

Sounds like control issues to me and I ain't talking about controlling the dog.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no desire to pet anyone's dog. Every dog I know licks its ass and eats random feces laying on the ground.

I also get tired of the owners who let their dogs shit everywhere. This is especially common in Europe where you can't walk a block without seeing a pile of dog shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are pissed off about people that genuinely want to pet a dog, and then ask you permission to pet the dog then maybe you are just a pissed off kind of person.
View Quote

*sigh*, see that's what I've been saying, these people come up to him with NO permission.

If they were to ask first, I'd have no problem, and neither would he.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have a group that we supply food and training supplies for that trains service dogs for vets with PTSD. Never fails if they bring the dog with them wearing a bright red vest with the words, "DO NOT PET, SERVICE DOG IN TRAINING!" some dumbass walks up and just tries to pet the dog.

People are fucking stupid. What I do if I don't want people to approach and pet is tell them when I see them coming to please not approach, we are working on training. I always put the dogs in sit when people are coming, and make them wait until the person is past us.

If someone asks as they approach if they can pet them, I will let them as long as the dogs don't break their sit.
View Quote

His dog is not wearing that vest so it's not quite a legit comparison.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA:

View Quote

Yes, as long as they ask first. It is great for their socialization to be approached and petted by all kinds of people, plus they love the attention.

It changes nothing at home, they will still go into attack mode when someone they don't know shows up at the house, I have had them keep multiple people off the front porch before by standing their ground at the top of the steps.

I want them to realize that out and about is social time, the field is hunting/work time, and at home is protection time, and they both seem to have a pretty firm grip on separating those.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

*sigh*, see that's what I've been saying, these people come up to him with NO permission.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn, PERMISSION, PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION.

Control issues much?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well see, I consider that just rude, and very stupid on their part.

I have yet to encounter it, but if someone went for my dog in public first without asking me I would get after them.

Off leash is a different story though, if the idiot lopes up happily to a stranger I will call him off, but if they start to pet him its my fault for not calling him back fast enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
That possum looks....French.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn, PERMISSION, PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION,PERMISSION.

Control issues much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Control issues much?

I can respect that, I thought at first he was just mad at people wanting to pet his dog.
If they are just walking up and not making contact with him before the dog though then I can see the problem.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like your dog is a dick.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the dog hunting?  Nope!

Is the dog working? Nope! (cattle, sheep or bomb dog)

Is he a service animal? Nope! (no vest that says service dog or blind harness)

Sorry OP your dog is prone to be petted.

In Ohio a dog gets one free bite. If he never bit someone for no reason and he isn't one of the vicious breeds in the statute you are more or less OK if he nips someone. If he mauls someone not so much.

My Llewellen Setter is very friendly and everyone wants to pet her. If the dog seems OK with it I let them go right ahead.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have come to believe that dog fanatics are some of the most anti social, self righteous people I have ever met.
View Quote

Boy you said something there

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not sure why anyone would want to walk up on a strange dog and pet it? I love dogs and ALWAYS ask the owner if I can pet his dag!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the dog hunting?  Nope!

Is the dog working? Nope! (cattle, sheep or bomb dog)

Is he a service animal? Nope! (no vest that says service dog or blind harness)

Sorry OP your dog is prone to be petted.

In Ohio a dog gets one free bite. If he never bit someone for no reason and he isn't one of the vicious breeds in the statute you are more or less OK if he nips someone. If he mauls someone not so much.

My Llewellen Setter is very friendly and everyone wants to pet her. If the dog seems OK with it I let them go right ahead.
View Quote

Lots of cases have been dropped in NY when a dog is on leash. It is considered under control of the owner, and if someone is willing to stick their hand near it's face at that point it's on them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't do that, and teach my kids not to either.

After being specifically instructed not to, my neighbor attempted to pet another neighbor's Akita.  He was fine after a trip to the ER.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Dog off lease = ok to pet.

Seems like most everyone here and at the op's river hangout understand this, except for the op.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't do that, and teach my kids not to either.

After being specifically instructed not to, my neighbor attempted to pet another neighbor's Akita.  He was fine after a trip to the ER.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have to be honest with you buddy.  If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bit foolish.  

View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I didn't want to pet your fuckin' dog anyways.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Off leash does not mean open season for liberal tears and touchie feelies, quite the opposite, it means the dog is controlled without needing you to mess with it.

Go pet a stray pit bull and get back to me with your definition.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear ya. I've got a GSD. He's great at home with friends and family. He's well behaved amongst humans away from home on a leash but also very protective. Pretty much let us walk and ignore him and he'll ignore you. Once someone reached out to pet him without having the good sense to ask if he was friendly and it alright and he "mouthed" their hand as warning. They looked at me like I was the jerk, but if I didn't even have time to tell them "don't touch" before they had their hand reached out and on him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have to be honest with you buddy.  If you are taking an unleashed dog to the river that might bite people seems a bit foolish.  

edit spelling
View Quote

Any dog, any time, might bite.  That's what some stranger walking/paddling/stumbling by is going to hear, anyway.

I don't encourage complete strangers to come up to my dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any dog, any time, might bite.  That's what some stranger walking/paddling/stumbling by is going to hear, anyway.

View Quote

Agreed, that said unless my Llewellen is on birds she wants to say hi. People are drawn to her sweet disposition.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Off leash does not mean open season for liberal tears and touchie feelies
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Off leash does not mean open season for liberal tears and touchie feelies

According to your story it sounds like it does.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of stupid people think ALL dogs should be breed for a good temperament my GF included.  Bot of my dogs bite.  That's their job!

A dog should be bred to be smart enough to know when to ignore the annoying but harmless 5 year old and when it is kick there ass time.
Why I love Border Collies.  They instinctually go through an escalation of force, and don't generally use more force than is necessary.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have two Great Danes, one is less than friendly.

The less than friendly one runs with me, I have had people follow me in cars asking if they can pet my dog.

They get angry when I fail to stop running...

The stupid should cause  spontaneous combustion in many of these folks.
View Quote

They're probably gay cruising you. Hate to break it to you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

Lol yes.  Stay in your yard with your dog if you want to shelter it and keep people from interacting with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Muh unleashed dog in a publik area is being petted by people!!11!!

Pro-Tip: Leash your fucking dog or leave it at home if you have control issues with people petting an unleashed dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Pro-Tip: Leash your fucking dog or leave it at home if you have control issues with people petting an unleashed dog.
View Quote

Pro tip: don't mess with other peoples animals.
I have no "control" issues, I have idiot issues.
So you're fine with petting an animal just because it's off leash?
You wouldn't go near it if it was on leash?
Sorta seems counter intuative.

Maybe you should keep your fucking hands to yourself.

ETA:
What the fuck gives you the right to come up to me and my dog regardless if he's on a leash or not?
You some kind of special dog whispering idiot that thinks your special?
Why the hell do you feel the need to advance on mine or any one elses animal just because you think it's cool?
My dog is evidently better behaved than many of you in this thread, he keeps his distance, he minds his manners, and he certainly doesn't invade YOUR personal space.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lol yes.  Stay in your yard with your dog if you want to shelter it and keep people from interacting with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

Seriously, why would you take your dog to a public park if you didn't want people interacting with it?  Just hang out with it at home.  Unleashed in a public area of course people are going to pet it.  

OP, next time you should blade at 45 and say in a loud, commanding voice, "YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY DAG! YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY DAG!"
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Off leash does not mean open season for liberal tears and touchie feelies, quite the opposite, it means the dog is controlled without needing you to mess with it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If the dog is off leash but controlled, how can I touch him against your will? You'll call him back to you. If your dog is off leash but you can't call him to to when I greet him, that's on you.

If you're afraid I'm going to get myself bitten, or that my petting is going to ruin your day, your dog needs to be unreachable. Either get perfect recall, or put him on a leash. Or you can have a coronary while I pet your dog or get mauled.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

ETA:
What the fuck gives you the right to come up to me and my dog regardless if he's on a leash or not?
Why the hell do you feel the need to advance on mine or any one elses animal just because you think it's cool?
My dog is evidently better behaved than many of you in this thread, he keeps his distance, he minds his manners, and he certainly doesn't invade YOUR personal space.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

Because you have him unleashed. Unleashed dogs tend to roam. You are not on private land. People tend to pet friendly, unleashed dogs.

Its not hard to apply logic here. Leash your dog on PUBLIC land.

ETA: Seek psychiatric attention for obvious control and anger issues.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

ETA:

I invite people to come help me socialize my good dog. They've helped me teach him that his job is to be friendly to every nice person he meets and to allow children to hurt him without hurting them back. I see it as lawsuit insurance.

I have a dog I got second hand that I don't trust. She doesn't get to go anywhere. I certainly wouldn't take her off leash if I were fishing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Who said it was a public park?
This is a wild and unpatrolled (by LEO) area where people tube and canoe.
Anything goes out there, drugs, drunks, and rowdy is the normal.

Google up Salt River tubing in AZ

Big easy Snow, he does come to me, I just get tired of having to heel him because of inconsiderate folks that think it's a petting zoo.

Because you have him unleashed. Unleashed dogs tend to roam. You are not on private land. People tend to pet friendly, unleashed dogs.

View Quote

Huh, look at the pics on page One (my OP), does that look like a "roaming" dog?
Nope, he stays close as he knows that he's protecting us.
Like I've asked more than once, WHY do you folks feel the need to come up to a unknown animal and pet it?
On leash or not, don't you think you're violating my space by being so intrusive?
Why does my dog have to be the one restrained when YOU people are the ones violating my area?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I hate when people touch my dogs without asking as well.  The dogs I take in public have never been aggressive and have been through classes but I like to have control of them if someone is going to pet them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Big easy Snow, he does come to me, I just get tired of having to heel him because of inconsiderate folks that think it's a petting zoo.

Like I've asked more than once, WHY do you folks feel the need to come up to a unknown animal and pet it?
On leash or not, don't you think you're violating my space by being so intrusive?
Why does my dog have to be the one restrained when YOU people are the ones violating my area?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dude, you have serious control issues if you honestly think you OWN PUBLIC FUCKING LAND AS "YOUR AREA". Unless Tonto National Forest is yours. A National Forest means I can setup my shit 1 foot from you. and you couldn't do a goddamn thing about it except move.

I've owned dogs. Anytime they were unleashed, I excepted them to be petted by other people.

If I didn't want people touching them, I leashed them up. A quick tug would send them right back to me, and I would tell people not to pet them.

Its not a hard concept to grasp, and I don't run up touching other people's dogs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit spelling

Just who the fuck does?  I know bettendorf personally and he certainly wouldn't, fucking guy hates people.  And his dog, a swiss mountain dog is the coolest/nicest dog evar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I've owned dogs. Anytime they were unleashed, I excepted them to be petted by other people.

If I didn't want people touching them, I leashed them up. A quick tug would send them right back to me, and I would tell people not to pet them.
View Quote

Really, on leash or off, I ask the same question, what gives you the right to approach me and my animal?
Why does anyone feel the need to touch an unknown animal?
Does a leash make it acceptable?
Does an animal off leash seem like a good idea to approach?
And why should my dog be restrained due to inconsiderate fools?

I call him and he comes, no need for a leash, no need for dicipline on his part.
He's trained to protect us, I don't really care that you think he's pretty, cute, or good looking, on leash or off you have really no reason to approach him.

It's folk without dicipline on their part that cause this problem, not my dog.

Dude, you have serious control issues if you honestly think you OWN PUBLIC FUCKING LAND AS "YOUR AREA". Unless Tonto National Forest is yours. A National Forest means I can setup my shit 1 foot from you. and you couldn't do a goddamn thing about it except move.
View Quote

Never said ANYWHERE that I own it, but then again neither do you.
Yup, you can set your "shit" up 1 foot from me, but then you'd be showing what a dick you are.
Really, I have control issues, but you have anger issuse.
We both need to deal with our problems.

Like I said, it's not his fault idiots want to turn the river into a petting zoo.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Meh,I'd let your dog sniff my hand and decide for himself.If he bit me,I'd probably sue you
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
you should brush your dag and vacuum your truck
View Quote

+1

Also, keep your dog leashed in a public area, I am sure it's the law.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#48]
It NEVER fails….. there always seems to be a special inconsiderate snowflake with an unleashed dog on public lands…… they are just so special.

They don't seem to or don't want to realize that IF their special snowflake dog bites anyone …… even if it is approached….. it's their ass.

Letting a dog that "may bite" run freely is the height of stupidity.

Tell us just how the dog is "trained to protect you".  What titles does he possess and who did the training. IF he is trained to protect you, he SHOULD BE a stable animal.

If YOU can't trust your dog, take the proper precautions and stop bitching about everyone else……. or pay when he bites someone.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Even if a dog is friendly and has approached me I still ask its owner if it's ok to pet it as was the case of the Malinois that run up to me. Sometimes permission is easier to ask and get than assuming and consequently getting bitten by a nervous bitter
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry, but if it's public land, it's a petting zoo. You're just going to have to heel him when folks show up.

It's not your space or your area, you're in public. They're just being friendly. Maybe it would be different if your dog weren't pretty. Maybe you could decorate "your" beach with inverted crosses and swastikas? When they yell out "can I pet your dog" you could try to sell them Amway?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top