User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The guy was shot in the BACK while BACKING out of his garage.  That means he was backing out TOWARD the constable.  The second I read "police brutality" in the main story I knew this was going to be a hit piece.  And then YOU add to it making it sound like he shot the guy because he had unpaid parking tickets.  And then thousands of people will see your thread title and won't click on the thread to read what actually happened and it just builds hate toward police for no reason.  Good job OP.

Now if he was shot in the CHEST while BACKING out of his garage then that would be a whole different story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Misleading thread title is misleading.

Absolutely

OP's headline: "PA Constable shoots and paralyze(s) man over unpaid parking tickets "

Story: Constable was in fear for his life while serving a warrant and shot the guy.  

Whether it's justified or not, the title is completely misleading.
If you just shot a man in the back for parking tickets, what would you claim?  

The guy was shot in the BACK while BACKING out of his garage.  That means he was backing out TOWARD the constable.  The second I read "police brutality" in the main story I knew this was going to be a hit piece.  And then YOU add to it making it sound like he shot the guy because he had unpaid parking tickets.  And then thousands of people will see your thread title and won't click on the thread to read what actually happened and it just builds hate toward police for no reason.  Good job OP.

Now if he was shot in the CHEST while BACKING out of his garage then that would be a whole different story.

At the end of the day, he was shot over unpaid parking tickets.

A smart officer shouldn't have to shoot a man because he put himself in harm's way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not saying if the accounts of the man that was so was accurate or the constable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Misleading thread title is misleading.

Absolutely

OP's headline: "PA Constable shoots and paralyze(s) man over unpaid parking tickets "

Story: Constable was in fear for his life while serving a warrant and shot the guy.  

Whether it's justified or not, the title is completely misleading.

Not saying if the accounts of the man that was so was accurate or the constable.

He didn't shoot him in the back for unpaid parking tickets.
He shot him for attempting to use deadly force on a peace officer.
What would I claim? The truth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A fraction!  Jeebus, that's like dividing by 87!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd use the term "cop" very loosely when discussing PA Constables. They're required to get a fraction of the training that real cops/deputies do.

A fraction!  Jeebus, that's like dividing by 87!

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/037/chapter431/chap431toc.html

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Fixed the title...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with the way unpaid parking tickets work in that area.

Does anyone know exactly what the Constables were serving?  Was it some sort of arrest warrant or a summons to appear in court?

What I'm wondering is if they were to arrest him, why did Constables show up instead of actual police? If they were just serving a summons, then I'd expect that there would be rules / statutes about what constitute good service and that there was no need (or maybe no legal reason) to enter the garage in the first place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does anyone know exactly what the Constables were serving?  Was it some sort of arrest warrant or a summons to appear in court?

What I'm wondering is if they were to arrest him, why did Constables show up instead of actual police? If they were just serving a summons, then I'd expect that there would be rules / statutes about what constitute good service and that there was no need (or maybe no legal reason) to enter the garage in the first place.

Constables do trivial crap and they're paid per job like a bounty hunter.

Constables may serve the court, but are not required to. When serving the judiciary, constables may serve judicial process, writs, arrest warrants, levies and collect fines. These services are regulated by Act 49 of the Pennsylvania statutes. The constable is paid for these services by fees which are specified in the statutes, and paid by the defendant in criminal cases or the plaintiff in civil cases.
Wiki link that has some outright lies in it

It's over parking tickets. In Philly they send two stooges out to boot your car, or tow it. Worse comes to worse, you can't register it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only person to every be found guilty of using a legally owned NFA firearm in a crime was a police officer, and as far as I know, he's still in prison.
View Quote

Link to story?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's over parking tickets. In Philly they send two stooges out to boot your car, or tow it. Worse comes to worse, you can't register it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Constables may serve the court, but are not required to. When serving the judiciary, constables may serve judicial process, writs, arrest warrants, levies and collect fines. These services are regulated by Act 49 of the Pennsylvania statutes. The constable is paid for these services by fees which are specified in the statutes, and paid by the defendant in criminal cases or the plaintiff in civil cases.

Now the story makes more sense.  They probably wanted to boot / tow the car.  Guy doesn't want that and tried to drive away.  Constable reaches in the car to stop the guy from driving off.  That doesn't work and it ends up shooting the guy.

It is understandable that he would shoot to protect himself.  The problem I have with this is that he unnecessarily put himself in that danger.  If it was to arrest him, that is one thing but here it was to prevent a guy from driving off when they could just put a block on his registration and add the car to a pick up list.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now the story makes more sense.  They probably wanted to boot / tow the car.  Guy doesn't want that and tried to drive away.  Constable reaches in the car to stop the guy from driving off.  That doesn't work and it ends up shooting the guy.

View Quote

No, I was explaining what Philly does about parking tickets. Those two morons were more than likely trying to arrest him.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is understandable that he would shoot to protect himself.  The problem I have with this is that he unnecessarily put himself in that danger.  If it was to arrest him, that is one thing but here it was to prevent a guy from driving off when they could just put a block on his registration and add the car to a pick up list.

Any way to pull what they was serving?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Strong arming you into paying your debt, choke holding you for grilling, and killing you for smoking in a no smoking area.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I would think that once you get around 10 parking tickets you might come out from somewhere and find your car has been towed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
4/10. Needs racial innuendo, dead pets and as always... more Taser.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why couldn't he just shoot out his tires?
View Quote

or shoot the steering wheel??
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What?  Most cops are good for the most part and are only doing their job, some or misguided as what that job should be.  

Some are oath keepers and very pro liberty.  Like Bama is a good cop from everything read from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.....
What?  Most cops are good for the most part and are only doing their job, some or misguided as what that job should be.  

Some are oath keepers and very pro liberty.  Like Bama is a good cop from everything read from him.

The few guys I've met who alleged they were oathkeepers were not people I would be associating with.  It was a good concept but the guys in charge and some of the followers aren't.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In Pittsburgh 100% of parking revenue goes toward city pensions

Mess with the city's parking revenue to fund pensions, get your ass paralyzed

Pittsburgh has served warrants over parking tickets

View Quote

ooh the noes, served warrants over parking tickets?  what is the world coming to?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard that if you don't pay they just call it a day and forget about it
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

ooh the noes, served warrants over parking tickets?  what is the world coming to?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why did the constable open his door?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/07/18/man-shot-may-not-walk-again-over-unpaid-parking-tickets/#ixzz38ioIspY2

The constables positioned themselves on both sides of McCullers’s car. One of them told McCullers to turn the car off, and he did. There was a short conversation. Then, according to Lehigh County district attorney James Martin, one of the constables opened the driver’s side door of the car.

McCullers responded to this action by restarting the car. He began backing out of the garage with the car door ajar. With that, the district attorney said, the two constables drew their guns and began shooting.

I could see if he was about to get drug by the door and couldnt go anywhere because of small ass garage. Who knows?
Why did the constable open his door?  

To effect an arrest maybe?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The few guys I've met who alleged they were oathkeepers were not people I would be associating with.  It was a good concept but the guys in charge and some of the followers aren't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigh.....

That can be applied anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
With all the shit going on about cops getting caught lying I'm done believeing their side of the story either until I see full video footage with sound. I can't trust the citizens to tell the truth now I can't trust the cops telling it either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Now I'm a paraplegic, and I know why, hey hey...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Link to story?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The only person to every be found guilty of using a legally owned NFA firearm in a crime was a police officer, and as far as I know, he's still in prison.

Link to story?

I remember this thread had some info.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=231577

"Since 1934, only one legally owned machine gun has ever been used in
crime, and that was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as
opposed to a civilian). On September 15th, 1988, a 13-year veteran of
the Dayton, Ohio police department, Patrolman Roger Waller, then 32,
used his fully automatic MAC-11 .380 caliber submachine gun to kill a
police informant, 52-year-old Lawrence Hileman. Patrolman Waller pleaded
guilty in 1990, and he and an accomplice were sentenced to 18 years in
prison. The 1986 'ban' on sales of new machine guns does not apply to
purchases by law enforcement or government agencies."

"

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#24]
No dog?  They had to shoot something.  Quotas and shit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:56:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Link to story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to story?

I can't find it but it was a cop with an Mac something and killed an informant.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I live in PA.  I deal with Constables on a business level.

They make mall ninja's look like Rainbow Bright.
View Quote

I see one once a week at Cumberland Farms.  Looks like Penn Jillette's pimply, unshaven brother.  Carries four 1911 mags in a shoulder rig?  Do they actually have authorities or just have to pass Act 235 classes?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I guess the next courthouse they want him to pay parking tickets at better have a ramp.
View Quote

He should be good to go now that he is qualified for handicapped to use spots. Of course he still owes for the previous 31 tickets. Hope they take his car.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:44:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good. Actions have consequences. Why does GD hate personal responsibility?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Regardless of the events in the story:

Stepping out of the way of a moving car is MUCH more effective at avoiding injury than shooting the person driving whose reaction may include speeding up through loss of control of his lower body.
View Quote

There you go.

This is the issue that most of us have with situations like these. Cops are quick to point out that a vehicle can be a deadly weapon, maybe was being driven towards the officer in question, etc. These types of situations seem to happen a lot. But in the vast majority of situations, the best solution isn't to start shooting, it's to step out of the way!

We're also butthurt because of the obvious double standard. No civilian would escape prosecution in this situation. Can you imagine if this was a CCW permit holder on the driveway instead of a constable? The same standards of self-defense should apply.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Regardless of the events in the story:

Stepping out of the way of a moving car is MUCH more effective at avoiding injury than shooting the person driving whose reaction may include speeding up through loss of control of his lower body.
View Quote

How would he lose control of his lower body functions, prior to getting shot? Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Here's a good summary (from a post on PAFOA...Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association):

In Pennsylvania the office Constable is largely an anachronism from the past. It has it's roots in English and common law. That is why the Constable's patch says "First in Law Enforcement" As the office exists today, it is a local office usually elected on the ward level. Anyone can run for constable in their ward very easily. NO LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE needed ! Twelve signatures on a petition, and you are on the ballot A constable may also be appointed if an opening exists. Constables have only two areas of responsibility under Pennsylvania law. One is to provide coverage at the polling places, the other is to serve the minor judiciary as security and warrant service. The constables authority to serve warrants is state-wide. Constables are private contractors who are paid a fee per warrant or service. As independent contractors they must pay all out of pocket expenses. That includes uniforms, vehicles, weapons and insurance. Some constables claim to make a comfortable living, most do not.

Constables have a little arrest power in PA. What arrest power they have is directly tied to the warrant in their hand. They can arrest for "crimes on view", in other words if they see a crime. Much like a citizens arrest. They CAN NOT do traffic stops. They CAN NOT have emergency lights on their vehicles. They are paid a set fee for every warrant served. . Most constables in PA never perform the duties of the office once elected The constables who do make a job out of it are mostly confined to serving paper for the minor judiciary (District Court). No constable can be "on patrol" in Pennsylvania unless they are a "sworn officer" with PA. Act 120 training. Quite frankly, most constables are looked upon with disdain by most of the Law Enforcement community.
View Quote

Here's the Indiana University of PA Constable Training website:
http://www.iup.edu/page.aspx?id=100603

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I see one once a week at Cumberland Farms.  Looks like Penn Jillette's pimply, unshaven brother.  Carries four 1911 mags in a shoulder rig?  Do they actually have authorities or just have to pass Act 235 classes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in PA.  I deal with Constables on a business level.

They make mall ninja's look like Rainbow Bright.

More than 235, less than cop.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
While I often side against the cops. Constable was caught between the car door and the garage wall. In my minds eye I saw the constable squished between the car door and the garage door frame.

If a man with a gun says stop, stop or get shot at. If he has a badge and a gun I am not shooting back.

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top