Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 6:11:19 PM EDT
Looking of something to watch tonight. Any better then the theatrical release?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No noticible differences. Still one of the best  si fi movies ever. IMHO that is
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Final Cut is better. No narration, Deckard is a more interesting character.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Does The Final Cut have the gay ass sunset ending?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No noticible differences. Still one of the best  si fi movies ever. IMHO that is
View Quote

That's the general consensus.  It's almost timeless.  If you brushed up the special effects a little, you could re-release it today.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just started it and the picture quality is certainly a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The Final Cut is Scott's vision. I don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The theatrical version is canon. Everything else is rubbish.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the general consensus.  It's almost timeless. If you brushed up the special effects a little, you could re-release it today.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the general consensus.  It's almost timeless. If you brushed up the special effects a little, you could re-release it today.

Fuck that shit. Take your Jedi Rocks and CGI Jabba scene and GTFO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

The film executives meddled alot with the theatrical release.

The final cut is the one Ridley wanted. No narration and all that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Final Cut is Best Cut.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
It's awesome.

SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!

He was blind the entire time...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like someone doesn't like the implications of Scott's version. Makes Deckard a vastly more interesting character IMO
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Is this the one with the faggy unicorn dream?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck Ridley Scott and his "vision"...this is one case where over-ruling the director made for a vastly better film. The narration is actually quite a nice touch on the theatrical release and adds some interesting insight and mood that the Final Cut doesn't, and Ridley pissing on the story with the Deckard/replicant shit is just juvenile. The story is beautiful when Deckard is a human who comes to understand the replicants...it's just fucking silly if he is one. Ruins the whole fucking point, and beyond that why is a replicant sent to kill other ones weaker and less able? Oh, and bleeding red blood?

The only thing good about that version is the enhanced picture, but everything else sucks.

Fucking no wonder Prometheus was a dog turd...that man's instincts need tempering.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sounds like someone doesn't like the implications of Scott's version. Makes Deckard a vastly more interesting character IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting is a human starting to see the replicant's desperation even as he hunts them, coming to believe they have been given the short end, and against all he knows to be right falling in love with one. Everything that works in that movie is predicated on Deckard being human, and giving the audience the human perspective.

What does it serve to the story to make him a more feeble, unaware replicant? Except to make a cute little "gotcha!" by Ridley?

Nothing. I suspect that's why he was over-ruled in the end...everyone else seemed to figure it out but Ridley wanted to be mysterious and play games.

Not too different than Lucas "re-imagining" Star Wars with his original vision...which also sucked.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the collection with 4 different cuts. I prefer the narration, so my favorite cut was the extended, "International Cut" -- more action plus narration.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoy the narration as well.

I enjoy the international version best.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes... cover your ears and scream obscenities at Ridley Scott during that part.  Deckard is not a replicant.  The whole point was to show self-aware replicants acting more "human" than Deckard (who hunts them with cold robot-like efficiency).  If you make Deckard a robot, the whole "What is human?" question goes right out the window.  It's just a stupid action movie with a shitty robot trying to turn off some defective robots.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes... cover your ears and scream obscenities at Ridley Scott during that part.  Deckard is not a replicant.  The whole point was to show self-aware replicants acting more "human" than Deckard (who hunts them with cold robot-like efficiency).  If you make Deckard a robot, the whole "What is human?" question goes right out the window.  It's just a stupid action movie with a shitty robot trying to turn off some defective robots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.   "More human than human" has no meaning at all if Deckard is a replicant.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the collection with 4 different cuts. I prefer the narration, so my favorite cut was the extended, "International Cut" -- more action plus narration.
View Quote

Is he a replicant in that version?

I'm not a fan of the narration, but I hate the idea of him being a replicant even more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Mediocre Sci Fi find something different to watch
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Interesting is a human starting to see the replicant's desperation even as he hunts them, coming to believe they have been given the short end, and against all he knows to be right falling in love with one. Everything that works in that movie is predicated on Deckard being human, and giving the audience the human perspective.

What does it serve to the story to make him a more feeble, unaware replicant? Except to make a cute little "gotcha!" by Ridley?

Nothing. I suspect that's why he was over-ruled in the end...everyone else seemed to figure it out but Ridley wanted to be mysterious and play games.

Not too different than Lucas "re-imagining" Star Wars with his original vision...which also sucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

You should be the next Robert Ebert.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Deckard will return...
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, Deckard being a Replicant basically throws the entire script into the garbage can. It makes none of the movie any sense.

Just seems really retarded to send a weak/feeble model against a bad ass Combat model and other killer replicants. Along with the other stuff that would make it not be consistent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I just turn the shitty dialogue off and put on some slow nuevo-synthwave and enjoy the moods and the overall aesthetic.

You guys are harassing my buzz being all Aspie and shit over the four cuts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, Deckard being a Replicant basically throws the entire script into the garbage can. It makes none of the movie any sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just seems really retarded to send a weak/feeble model against a bad ass Combat model and other killer replicants. Along with the other stuff that would make it not be consistent.

Deckard could easily have been another model of a the Nexus 6 with his own blade running memories installed and Tyrel and Co. used Rachael as a carrot, and to sooth him.

I personally liked it left ambiguous, having you to make up your mind about Deckard's on going mental condition.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Final Cut is best.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got The Final Cut 2 disc special edition (2007) and I think it sucks.

You miss a lot with him not narating. You've got these long, noiseless scenes of the woman's face and some other stuff like that that is really noticeable.

Bought it. Watched it once. Would trade in a heartbeat for the original release.

Read the book too. TOTALLY different from the movie.

Movie is superior.

ETA He's not a replicant in the book. But she's a total psycho and they don't get along at all.

Matter of fact, she kills his "Real", not replicant. goat he keeps on the roof of his house.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Deckard could easily have been another model of a the Nexus 6 with his own blade running memories installed and Tyrel and Co. used Rachael as a carrot, and to sooth him.

I personally liked it left ambiguous, having you to make up your mind about Deckard's on going mental condition.  

Yeah, except that makes no logical or tactical sense and makes for a bad story. The android killer finding empathy for his prey, which is really the moral and philosophical power of the movie, is turned into a plot stunt that doesn't serve anything.

No wonder the studio heads meddled, they were in this instance smarter than Scott with a better sense of what the movie was and proved right for decades until the director could monkey with the product.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top