Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/28/2014 11:29:45 AM EDT
In my brief 29 years on this planet, I have seen a handful of thing in the sky I can't explain. The first was in HS. Got home around dusk and as I am getting out of my car I see a green light that seems to be moving upward behind the trees. Imagine someone shooting a roman candle straight up. In fact that is what I thought I was seeing. As it cleared the tree line I expected it to fizzle out. It didn't. It's stopped rising and hovered. After 5 to 10 seconds it slowly moved along the tree line and out of sight. The other was a couple years ago. I was in the backyard around 1 am with the dog's. As I normally do I was just looking around the sky at the stars. As moved to see a little more over the roof I can see a larger than normal star. Imagine holding a pea at arms length. I start to assume it's the landing light on a plane coming at me head on. I watched it to see if it was moving and it wasn't. I also noticed that it was shifting color from white,  whiteish blue, pink, and green. I did try to get a picture of this on but it would not show up right. It was still there when I went in but not when I came back out later that night.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a crotchety old neighbor who got in some legal trouble and was forced to move into an assisted living center.  On the morning they came to pick him up, he inflated a shitload of helium balloons and floated his whole house to South America.  It was the damnedest thing I ever saw.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a crotchety old neighbor who got in some legal trouble and was forced to move into an assisted living center.  On the morning they came to pick him up, he inflated a shitload of helium balloons and floated his whole house to South America.  It was the damnedest thing I ever saw.
View Quote

I think i saw a documentery on that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a damned thing.  Everyone sees ghosts, goblins, UFO's, and aliens except for me.

I do tell one story of an enormously bright flash that woke me up as a teenager, but I'm sure it was nothing more than either oddball lightning or a dream.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]

A whistling meteor that turned red & green as it traversed the sky......on Christmas Eve. No kidding.

ETA: Saw 'ball lightning' roll down the main drag from the mountain in Hamilton, MT one evening.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I was working offshore on an oil production facility installing a flowline on the lower deck. There was another guy working with me, and we were facing each other. I was looking straight ahead, over his shoulder, waiting on him to finish torquing some bolts when I saw the most insane green light shooting down out of the sky. It was what I assume was a meteor, and it was moving slow enough that I had time to grab the other guy, physically turn him around, and say "holy shit look at that!".

Just as I got the words out of my mouth, the thing exploded, and split into two pieces, before splashing down Into the gulf water, at what I assume was about 8 or so miles away. It was burning so hot, it left a smoke trail that lasted about 3-4 minutes after it disappeared. It was pretty incredible to see that. This happened during the evening, around 3pm, crystal clear day, near the shell Bullwinkle platform.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Last deer season, one morning before daylight, I was looking up into the night sky with my new binoculars, checking out stars and shit, when all of a sudden a flying object that looked like an airplane at very high altitude went across my field of view.  I began tracking it with my binoculars and it moved across the sky in just a few seconds.   It was going about 10 times faster than any commercial airplane.   That thing was hauling ass whatever it was.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Cloud punch-through.

I have some photos, but none of them terribly good.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw an F-111 do a "powerslide" at pretty low altitude.   It basically slid, changed direction 180 and dropped it's wings back while igniting afterburner and in sling shot fashion it was freekin' gone.   After seeing thousands of other jets (growing up by an AFB) this has perplexed me to this day.   Seems to have defied physics.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my brief 29 years on this planet, I have seen a handful of thing in the sky I can't explain. The first was in HS. Got home around dusk and as I am getting out of my car I see a green light that seems to be moving upward behind the trees. Imagine someone shooting a roman candle straight up. In fact that is what I thought I was seeing. As it cleared the tree line I expected it to fizzle out. It didn't. It's stopped rising and hovered. After 5 to 10 seconds it slowly moved along the tree line and out of sight. The other was a couple years ago. I was in the backyard around 1 am with the dog's. As I normally do I was just looking around the sky at the stars. As moved to see a little more over the roof I can see a larger than normal star. Imagine holding a pea at arms length. I start to assume it's the landing light on a plane coming at me head on. I watched it to see if it was moving and it wasn't. I also noticed that it was shifting color from white,  whiteish blue, pink, and green. I did try to get a picture of this on but it would not show up right. It was still there when I went in but not when I came back out later that night.
View Quote

I've seen something like that too. Do you happen to live near a lake or river?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
A wheel. It kept on turning.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Super guppy
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great

Guess what is stuck in my head now
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag for two stories from my flight instructing days...  will update later.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing supernatural...

But I've seen:

- An F-18 give us a private air show one spotlessly clear night off the coast of Florida.

- A small meteor rip through the atmosphere and explode straight overhead.

- The Space Shuttle launch at night while we were off the coast of SC.

- A lunar eclipse.

- A solar eclipse.

- Satellites crossing the sky.

- Lightning bounce from one cloud to the other across the sky, until every cloud was aglow.

- The Southern Cross.

Sometimes, being a SWO can be pretty cool.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Reverend Louis....is that you?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Driving on an elevated portion of I65 in the eighties and saw dozens of school children running from their school building.  I was wondering what they were coming out for, then I noticed the Space Shuttle piggybacked on a 747.  People were pulling over to stop and watch it.  The Worlds Fair was in New Orleans that year and NASA was going to have one of the SSs on display.  The only landing strip near New Orleans long enough to land the piggybacked SS was in Mobile.  It was barged over from Mobile to New Orleans, then back again after the fair was over.  I got to see it on the ground after it had landed, too.  They had a few days where it stayed in Mobile before transport to let locals have a close look at it, too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Watched a rocket from Canaveral Air Force Station carrying a satellite explode seconds after liftoff .
I was on Merritt Island along the Banana River and it was incredible .
Right up there tied was a night launch of the Space Shuttle ....also damned awesome
Also down in Florida , pink chain lightning from a dense storm as it rolled out to sea . When I lived In Cape Carnival , Id often grab a drink and walk out to the beach and watch the storms roll out ....seen a few times where it was chain lightning , but usually silver-white .
I saw thunder snow in Michigan where it's snowing so hard and there's lightning and thunder going on ...looks awesome at night

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I saw that on the news. He abducted a young Asian boy.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw two Vietnamese kids that lived on my block in Chandler, AZ make a home-made parachute out of a painter's tarp and try it out on a construction crane - and it fucking worked. Never saw anything in the sky crazier than that shit.

Looking back, I can't believe they didn't both die...but one jumped the other scaled it and held the chute behind until the first one jumped and then threw it to deploy the thing. He still hit with a thud, but it slowed him enough to stop any damage.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Sitting in the dunes of the Cheapeake bay in the winter back in the early 80's drinking beer with a buddy trying to stay out of the cold wind. We were getting pretty buzzed just lying back smoking and drinking looking at the night sky. I came across solid 3 lights in the sky that formed a triangle. The thing that separated the lights apart from every other light in the sky was they were stationary and not blinking everything else was moving and blinking. I got my buddies attention and pointed them out to him. It was totally weird that these lights would just be sitting there.

After a period of time they began to move across the sky at the same time. They moved like this slowly and began to move faster then suddenly they changed direction and move 180 degrees and jetted across the sky and disappeared. Freaked us both out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Nothing really strange.

During a meteor shower we did get to hear a few of them explode.

Quoted:
Last deer season, one morning before daylight, I was looking up into the night sky with my new binoculars, checking out stars and shit, when all of a sudden a flying object that looked like an airplane at very high altitude went across my field of view.  I began tracking it with my binoculars and it moved across the sky in just a few seconds.   It was going about 10 times faster than any commercial airplane.   That thing was hauling ass whatever it was.
View Quote

Could be a satellite.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I saw an eagle flying with a folding chair in its talons once.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Phx lights in 97,that was some crazy shit.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you sure it wasn't just some Dust in the Wind?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw an F-111 do a "powerslide" at pretty low altitude.   It basically slid, changed direction 180 and dropped it's wings back while igniting afterburner and in sling shot fashion it was freekin' gone.   After seeing thousands of other jets (growing up by an AFB) this has perplexed me to this day.   Seems to have defied physics.
View Quote

On a more "terrestrial" note I have seen lots of cool stuff. One night I was on the porch and hear the distinctive military helicopter sounds. Once they break the tree line it was 2 black hawks fully lit up with navigation lights etc. But they were tailing one that was completely blacked out. I could only make out the outline. They were all low enough to see in the cockpits. I posted it here and the overall response was standard NV training.  I also enjoyed seeing a B2 become nearly invisible at an air show due to the heat mirage from the jet wash.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Deez
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
       A whistling meteor that turned red & green as it traversed the sky......on Christmas Eve. No kidding.

ETA: Saw 'ball lightning' roll down the main drag from the mountain in Hamilton, MT one evening.  

View Quote

How many years ago i think i seen the same thing
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Not to make light of it....the Space Shuttle breaking up overhead.  I was living in North Texas.  Pieces rained down on my brothers town 200 miles southeast of me.

Didn't know what was happening at the time.  Learned soon thereafter.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not a damned thing.  Everyone sees ghosts, goblins, UFO's, and aliens except for me.

I do tell one story of an enormously bright flash that woke me up as a teenager, but I'm sure it was nothing more than either oddball lightning or a dream.
View Quote

I've seen both a ghost and a UFO. I thought it would be more exciting than it was.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that you mention it, I had been running down this dusty road.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I got one.  About 17 years ago.

I was on a long ski traverse deep in the mountains in Alaska.  Myself and another individual were doing over 30 miles through some big mountains on skis.  Completely unpopulated and this particular night we were about 20 miles from the nearest road.  It was the middle of winter and it gets very dark up here, especially when camping away from any light pollution.

A little background on my understanding of what I see in the sky.  My dad was a fighter pilot and I grew up around military bases.  I think I knew what the military aircraft of the time were capable of.  Also, I had been camping and climbing in remote areas of AK for years and could pick out satellites vs aircraft vs whatever as a result of that.  

Winter camping in AK can be miserable and you wake up several times throughout the night.  I make a habit of unzipping the tent and checking for the northern lights.  About 3 in the morning I unzip the tent and see what looks like a satellite (a dot of light kind of like a moving star) that has just come into view on the horizon.  It is moving at a speed that matches a satellite.  My climbing partner was awake and I point out the satellite.  

We are both watching as it goes about halfway across the sky and then abruptly stops.  I say WTF to him and about 10 seconds later we watch it start moving at a higher rate of speed on a path 90 degrees from it's previous course.  It stops instantaneously from the high rate of speed and a short time later changes direction again.  

It was completely silent and did not speed up or slow down, it just started moving at that rate of speed and then stopped, all at once.  Nothing that I know of (I'm a nobody) could move like that in the sky.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen that as well,if the conditions are right a star can be prismatic.Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Cow....

Cow.....
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sitting in the dunes of the Cheapeake bay in the winter back in the early 80's drinking beer with a buddy trying to stay out of the cold wind. We were getting pretty buzzed just lying back smoking and drinking looking at the night sky. I came across solid 3 lights in the sky that formed a triangle. The thing that separated the lights apart from every other light in the sky was they were stationary and not blinking everything else was moving and blinking. I got my buddies attention and pointed them out to him. It was totally weird that these lights would just be sitting there.

After a period of time they began to move across the sky at the same time. They moved like this slowly and began to move faster then suddenly they changed direction and move 180 degrees and jetted across the sky and disappeared. Freaked us both out.

View Quote

I almost the exact same experience sometime in 1992 or 1993. My cousin and I were hanging out at the end of a dead end road in a field drinking beer around midnight and shooting the shit. It was spring or summer but there was a low hanging ceiling of clouds with no stars out. We saw what I would describe as a radio tower laid sideways descend from the clouds from the East. I couldn't see any structure but saw four red lights in a row like a tower. It lowered down below the clouds and remained stationary for a while then moved on slowly to the North. If it were a solid object it had to be enormous. If it wasn't solid whatever it was were in perfect formation with no deviation at all. They all remained in a perfect line, slowly turned and then moved off almost like an enormous blimp with a row of lights below it. This was in NE Kansas.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Space shuttle lunch

Awesome lighting.

Big space rocks.

ISS.

As kid I remember going to VA beach and the F14s overhead.

ETA: the weirdest was NOTHING in the sky after 9/11
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I saw a fireball once.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I saw ball lightning behind and above the batter and ump when playing b-ball as a kid. Clear day from what I recall.

Had a meteor almost hit the passenger side front fender of the car I was riding in. Fizzled out just as it we saw it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've seen that as well,if the conditions are right a star can be prismatic.Pretty cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no way what I saw was a star. Believe me, I though of every possibility, star, satellite, helicopter etc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Driving on an elevated portion of I65 in the eighties and saw dozens of school children running from their school building.  I was wondering what they were coming out for, then I noticed the Space Shuttle piggybacked on a 747.  People were pulling over to stop and watch it.  The Worlds Fair was in New Orleans that year and NASA was going to have one of the SSs on display.  The only landing strip near New Orleans long enough to land the piggybacked SS was in Mobile.  It was barged over from Mobile to New Orleans, then back again after the fair was over.  I got to see it on the ground after it had landed, too.  They had a few days where it stayed in Mobile before transport to let locals have a close look at it, too.
View Quote

They flew it low over Baton Rouge on the way. I went to the top od a paring garage to see it. It was close. Really close.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
9pm heading back to boy scout meeting, watched what was reported next day to be a chemical rocket falling back to earth.  AMAZING colors and pattern
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe I can flyyyyyy........

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Dec. 1965, a lot of people, including me, saw what would later be known as the "Kecksburg UFO" crossing  northern Ohio toward Pa. Just a very bright but defined ball shape. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't anything normal in my experience before or since.

Mid 1980s I saw parts of an old soviet satellite/station/whatever burning up on reentry. Late evening(11:00 PM-ish?) put on quite a light show.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I have spent more nights sleeping under the stars that anyone I know.  I have seen lots of shooting stars, but the most spectacular was a star that left a tracer tail that was really wide, bright and slowly faded over the course of about 20 seconds.

Never seen anything strange though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I saw what I can only describe as a ufo, about 15-20 years ago. A very tight zig-zag pattern, traversing the sky from west to east. The combination of speed, size, and altitude ruled out any known technology then and now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Came to post this.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#49]
B-2 stealth bomber
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Fire Ball
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top