Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 10:48:10 AM EDT
can I get by w/ cheap ones or should I get a name brand like channel locks or whatever?

got to pull a shitload of stable out of hard wood floor that had been holding carpet pad down...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Leon Paul..

OOPS wrong fencing..
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I used an old coal shovel to get 90% of them.  The rest I ended up using the pliers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll hate yourself after the first hour.

I've been putting up fence for the last month and bought a few Vise Grips (I have a habit of losing them on the farm).
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Channel Locks
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
They work fine. I've got a couple of them plus a few nicer ones. It doesn't make a big difference in fencing pliers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#7]
You'll see more wear faster on the cutting surfaces with the HF ones and they're stiff as fuck when new, but if you're just after the spike and the pliers they should be fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've found the best tools for that job to be a flat head screwdriver and a pair of lineman's pliers.

Lift the staple up with the screwdriver (some will pop out completely at this point) and then grab with the lineman's pliers.  Compared to other styles, I find that lineman's pliers are easier to manipulate with one hand and that leads to less fatigue.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They work fine. I've got a couple of them plus a few nicer ones. It doesn't make a big difference in fencing pliers.

View Quote

Sure it does. Cheap ones peen over in no time, and the beaks like to deform.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then mine didn't get the memo since they've survived just fine including being beaten under fence staples with a sledge
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You'll see more wear faster on the cutting surfaces with the HF ones and they're stiff as fuck when new, but if you're just after the spike and the pliers they should be fine.
View Quote

Yes, but no.  I bought a pair and had to pull a bunch of staples out, and the plier surface (mostly corners) specifically for working into behind the staples was quickly destroyed TOO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've found the best tools for that job to be a flat head screwdriver and a pair of lineman's pliers.

Lift the staple up with the screwdriver (some will pop out completely at this point) and then grab with the lineman's pliers.  Compared to other styles, I find that lineman's pliers are easier to manipulate with one hand and that leads to less fatigue.
View Quote

have you used a pair of fencing pliers like pictured?  

admittedly, they are for heavy fence staples, not carpet pad staples.  

Damn, whoever put thte caprpet down was OCD.  There are a shit ton of staples.

My wafe was usinga  pair of "cutting Pliers"  or concrete nibblers.   The type that have  tranfverse cutting teeth.  But the edges are straight and broad, seems like it would be hard compared to fencing pliers whose teeth can kind of get under/behind the staple.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw these at Home Depot the other day; they looked kind of handy but I don't know how well they work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-11-in-Nail-Pulling-Plier-NP11/204065906?N=5yc1vZc987

They also have some Dewalt fencing pliers for $5.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Channellocks are made in USA
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I used an old coal shovel to get 90% of them.  The rest I ended up using the pliers.
View Quote

I second this method. used a pair of Klein angled dikes to get the stubborn ones out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Regular electrician's pliers. Vise grips take too long to unlock. You'll work your grip, but that's ok. I'd be nervous about the shovel method breaking the staples off and leaving a bunch of sharp spikes. I did 3 rooms plus two staircases. Stairs were the worst.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Moore Maker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top