Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2014 10:40:05 AM EDT
Now, I LOVE my iPhone.  It's been the most stress and hassle free phone experience I've had.  Even convinced my mom, who is in her early 60s, to get a 5c and she likes it.  My sister, brother in law, and a few family friends all have iPhones.  

The iPhone does what I want in a smartphone.  Calls? Check. Pics? Check.  Facebook. Check.  Texts? Check.  Web? Check.  E-mail? Check.  Snapchat? Check.

I had two Androids previously- an HTC Droid Eris and a Motorola Droid 3.  I liked both but really deep down wanted an iPhone.  I had problems with overheating, battery life, speakers going out.

That said, I've heard a lot of good about this phone: http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev2120022&contractTerm=24#features

My contract is up next May.

Thoughts? Ironically I'm ruminating over an Android while typing on my iPad.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an iPhone 5 (work) and a Galaxy S5 (personal)

Have had years of stick time with both IOS and Android.....and I can't even imagine switching to an iPhone for my personal needs.
Apple was the true innovator, and they brought the first really complete smart phone to the market.
It's time to admit though that other OEMs have improved on the interface.

For phones, I'm 100% android if it's my money paying the bill.

Love my ipad....I'm posting this from it now...but the iPhone is past it's prime by a country mile.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing but good things to say about KitKat.

I have a lowly moto g and it has been flawless. No lock ups, random shut downs, or other quirky behavior.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a lowly moto g and it has been flawless. No lock ups, random shut downs, or other quirky behavior.

View Quote

Maybe they got it together.  I've lost GPS signal in Savannah, GA on the Droid 3 while trying to get to I-16 and it needed a batt pull.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the HTC one M8 and it is a great phone. The battery life seems short to me but this is my first smartphone and I was told that its normal.
My old dumb phone would go a week with one charge and if I use the crap out of the HTC I get a days use out of it. I have no idea how long standby is since I can't quit
playing games and watching youtube videos on it . The phone is fast as heck though and surfing the net is almost as fast as a pc depending on wifi speed. The speakers
sound pretty good too and the camera while not the best feature of the phone still takes good looking pics.
I took this pic with it:
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have the HTC one M8 and it is a great phone. The battery life seems short to me but this is my first smartphone and I was told that its normal.
My old dumb phone would go a week with one charge and if I use the crap out of the HTC I get a days use out of it. I have no idea how long standby is since I can't quit
playing games and watching youtube videos on it . The phone is fast as heck though and surfing the net is almost as fast as a pc depending on wifi speed. The speakers
sound pretty good too and the camera while not the best feature of the phone still takes good looking pics.
I took this pic with it:
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/Snapbucket/5D70153B-orig_zps7bd01985.jpg
View Quote

I've realized that shorter batt life compared to a "regular phone" is just how it is.  Thanks for the input-just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Maybe they got it together. I've lost GPS signal in Savannah, GA on the Droid 3 while trying to get to I-16 and it needed a batt pull.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe they got it together. I've lost GPS signal in Savannah, GA on the Droid 3 while trying to get to I-16 and it needed a batt pull.

savannah is a black hole for any kind of signal/reception.

that said, I like my nexus 5.  400ish shipped for the 32 gig phone, unlocked, no contract.  Cleanest android install.

you will have to get a visual voicemail app.  I use google voice

you will also have to get an SMS app for texts. I use google hangouts.

google doesnt own me.....yet
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the Galaxy S5 a couple of months ago.

When your contract is up get the latest iPhone and I will trade you even up.

I do not like the Galaxy S5, well OK I like the S5 .... it's the cheesy Android OS I do not like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of Google owning you........do you know about this;

If you have an Android phone, and use Google Maps go to https://maps.google.com/locationhistory while signed in to Google

Day by day mapped history of your travels, sortable by day, week, month and year. Yikes
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you have an Android phone, and use Google Maps go to https://maps.google.com/locationhistory while signed in to Google

Day by day mapped history of your travels, sortable by day, week, month and year. Yikes
View Quote

Mine's empty. I disabled that shit
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Also does Verizon still install all kinds of junk on their Androids? Stuff like football apps and games I'd need to pay for anyway?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now, I LOVE my iPhone.  It's been the most stress and hassle free phone experience I've had.  Even convinced my mom, who is in her early 60s, to get a 5c and she likes it.  My sister, brother in law, and a few family friends all have iPhones.  

The iPhone does what I want in a smartphone.  Calls? Check. Pics? Check.  Facebook. Check.  Texts? Check.  Web? Check.  E-mail? Check.  Snapchat? Check.

I had two Androids previously- an HTC Droid Eris and a Motorola Droid 3.  I liked both but really deep down wanted an iPhone.  I had problems with overheating, battery life, speakers going out.

That said, I've heard a lot of good about this phone: http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev2120022&contractTerm=24#features

My contract is up next May.

Thoughts? Ironically I'm ruminating over an Android while typing on my iPad.

View Quote

I got the HTC One yesterday.  So far I think it's amazing.  

Need a little longer to use it and figure out its ups and downs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had a few HTC's overall i liked them a lot, however most of them did have battery issues, was no big deal then since you could just replace the battery easily, the M8 has an internal battery which kept me from getting one, went with a Note instead and couldn't be happier.

Oh if your contracts not up until next May I wouldn't even worry about what phone to get right now, M8 might not even still be available by then.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Also does Verizon still install all kinds of junk on their Androids? Stuff like football apps and games I'd need to pay for anyway?
View Quote

It's almost a guarantee that your phone will be packed full of shit that you won't use and can't remove without loading new software.

Google play editions are fairly clean, but also unsubsidized by the contract so more expensive. But, they're also unlocked so there's that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most carriers do stick some junk on the phones, most can usually be deleted from the home screens, just have to see them in the app's screens. Most phones have one click rooting now and you could just load up any rom you want or xda usually has the OEM roms unlocked that you can completely delete any of the carrier add ons.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Do it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to +1 the HTC One M8. Enjoying the hell out of mine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's almost a guarantee that your phone will be packed full of shit that you won't use and can't remove without loading new software.

Google play editions are fairly clean, but also unsubsidized by the contract so more expensive. But, they're also unlocked so there's that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure about the other Google Play phones, but Verizon will not activate a Nexus 5 on their network because they didn't allow Verizon to load their bloatware shit on them (among other boring reasons I'm sure)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev680017&priceToggle=2y#

Thoughts?

And this?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev2760004&priceToggle=2y
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Do it!
View Quote

Considering it.  While I like iOS and have an iPad(also had an iPod I gave to my nephew) I'm not married to it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Why do android phones come with a bunch of bloatware garbage when iPhones don't?

Contractual agreement?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why do android phones come with a bunch of bloatware garbage when iPhones don't?

Contractual agreement?
View Quote

I thought I read here that Apple and VZW had to fight about that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Nexus 5 is the cheapest and what I currently have.

S5 or G3 is also a choice.

I'll probably buy a G3 next.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Have had years of stick time with both IOS and Android.....and I can't even imagine switching to an iPhone for my personal needs.

Apple was the true innovator, and they brought the first really complete smart phone to the market.

Love my ipad....I'm posting this from it now...but the iPhone is past it's prime by a country mile.
View Quote
I don't think you could actually be more wrong. Unless you got the Iphone and android names mixed up.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mines empty, too, and I don't even remember messing with any settings related to it.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Next time I'm near the Verizon dealer(Sunday) I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I just traded up to a note 3. This is my third android phone. I wouldn't dream of buying an iPhone anymore. There are so many things I do with mine that my coworkers can't or at least can't figure out. With a usb2go cable you can have usb host mode to attach flash drives, card readers, portable hard drives, KBs and mice, anything really. It has really come in handy doing photography, I can back up my memory cards in the field without carrying a laptop and I can show people their pics on a bigger screen than the camera viewer.

Edit, so apparently iPhones can do host mode now too...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want the Nexus it's substantially cheaper to buy it from google. They're running 350 for the 16 and 400 for the 32.

There are long wait times according to the site, but the two I ordered came within a week.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#28]
No Nexus 5 on Verizon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#29]
So I'm gonna check out:
HTC one M8
note 3
LG G3
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here.

I gave my company phone back and told them I would just use my S5.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#31]
The note 3 is huge, it's the anti-iPhone. But it comes with a pressure sensitive "s pen"  and Wacom digitizer so it works like a Wacom drawing tablet. You will dominate at DrawSomething.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is my feelings exactly. I've used both extensively,  I'm a macbook laptop fanboy for sure. But for the phones?  my old Galaxy Note II hands iOS it's ass.  iOS is an antiquated OS and just not flexible enough for me.

my wife, a tech *retard* is also an android user.  I gave her my iPhone and after 1 day she gave it back and told me she wouldn't use it.  It was simple and clean in it's day, but Android passed them a while back.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mines empty, too, and I don't even remember messing with any settings related to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy shit.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah, it was just sleek and had a novel interface. The first iPhone sucked for features. Didn't even have 3G.

The Nokia N95 was far better as a smartphone, but not sexy or cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Note 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Disabled mine last year when I got a the Note 3...

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Most of it can be removed or at least moved out of the way.

I got tired of waiting for Apple to innovate again and needed to upgrade, so I went for the Galaxy S5. I have been entirely impressed thus far, had it a month now.

When I'm due for another upgrade in 2 years I will look at Apple again, but only if the iPhone is back on top.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nah, it was just sleek and had a novel interface. The first iPhone sucked for features. Didn't even have 3G.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, some of you can't give Apple credit even when it's due...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Apple can suck my balls.

Android is not perfect, but WAY better than what Apple will "allow".

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I got a Droid Maxx a couple of months ago and have no complaints about the few basic features that I use. After a normal day of use, it has 70 - 75% battery charge left.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#42]
By the time you can upgrade the iPhone 6 will be out.  Bigger screen, reliable and no marketing doo-dads that don't work reliably.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I just got the note 3,and it is an amazing device. It is large, but that is good, in my opinion, and makes using it for internet, games, and other uses a better fit than trying to use a dinky 4" screen. Get a Spigen neo hybrid case, and an iloome tempered glass screen protector, and its a seriously sick unit.

But, since you have to wait until next May to get a new phone, wait until September, and get the Note 5. It will most likely have a sapphire crystal QHD screen, octa core CPU and mad amounts of ram and storage. it will be THE phone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#44]
My coworker has an Android tablet from Asus that uses an Android smartphone as the processor.  It docks in the the top, kind of neat I guess.

But the new iPhone screen will be made of sapphire.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Note 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Wife just got iphone 5s. I just got the S5.

Iphone is perfect for her. She want's an out of the box, no messing around smartphone. Because we already have icloud, ipad and iTV everything synced up right away (pics, music, videos, contacts etc) and she never missed a step.

I like to mess around with my phone and the S5 was perfect for me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Note 3
View Quote

Yeah, I was honestly liking the Note 3 when I got my iPhone last year but I wanted a Verizon iPhone ever since I started playing around with and liking them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#48]
So I went and looked at all 3 phones yesterday.  As I stated my upgrade isn't till May but so far I like the HTC One M8 and the G3 is nice too.  The G3 has more megapixels than my Canon 330HS camera too, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Galaxy 5s hands down.  Everyone I know has been switching over...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Galaxy 5s hands down.  Everyone I know has been switching over...
View Quote

That's the thing.  EVERYONE has one.  Not sure if I want something everyone else has.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top