Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:19:46 PM EDT
Good or bad, please provide feedback.
First round was fired from the hip and the rest from the shoulder point while moving.
Gun was running slow due to GoPro mount.

Video

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So you can hit chests within spitting distance?  Atta girl.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback.
Distance was about 4 yards. Only my fourth time doing this.
Most NM CC classes are just stationary target shooting.
We go beyond the minimum requirements...

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't know what to say or think...

but the first post nails it!

You can't short cut skill building.  Having new shooters miss quickly does nothing to advance their skill.

Smooth is fast... fast in its self means nothing.

An instructor for 30 years... but what do I know.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
now go back to the 50 yard line and do it again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly - I feel teaching new shooters to not use their sights is setting them up for failure. I don't know anyone who doesn't at least get a flash sight picture at that distance.  

And why one handed? That seems to me to be running before you've learned to walk.

Not trying to be overly critical. Just curious. I'm not a professional so perhaps I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.

-Lee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.

-Lee

Well then I'd say you are an above average CC instructor.  Most aren't high volume shooters.  They are good dudes with a job on the side.  As long as you try to teach some basic local laws in your class and not answer every question with "I'm not a lawyer, but you should ask one" (seriously, I paid money to get told that shit), then you're cool with me (and a better CCW instructor than mine).
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My only critique are the pants.  The pants.  THE PANTS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.

-Lee
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.

-Lee

Seems fairly practical to me... when you're that close missing a man-size target completely is actually kinda hard.  Putting all the shots in the 10 ring is a bit more of a challenge doing it that way.

Some serious proper sight work would certainly not hurt though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Seems fairly practical to me... when you're that close missing a man-size target completely is actually kinda hard.  Putting all the shots in the 10 ring is a bit more of a challenge doing it that way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the feedback.

-Lee

That may be true when it is cardboard!  On the street the stats prove that statement not so correct!!!

In real life we don't get 4 tries to get it right!

"New York City police statistics show that simply hitting a target, let alone hitting it in a specific spot, is a difficult challenge. In 2006, in cases where police officers intentionally fired a gun at a person, they discharged 364 bullets and hit their target 103 times, for a hit rate of 28.3 percent, according to the department’s Firearms Discharge Report. The police shot and killed 13 people last year.

In 2005, officers fired 472 times in the same circumstances, hitting their mark 82 times, for a 17.4 percent hit rate. They shot and killed nine people that year."

ALSO... the idea is to build actual skill, not to give class attendees a false sense of skill level due to a high score in a CCW class.  The biggest threat to a CCW holder is a false sense of self confidence/skill level shooting paper. If they find themself in a situation where they actually have to employ lethal force... it will not be against a static cardboard target!

Going beyond minimum requirement is not a short cut to skill building. Skill building takes time, supervision, and is a slow process.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]
 I hope you don't take this as being too critical, what you're doing by teaching ccw is very good thing.

A few thing which can't be seen in the video; pistol presentation from the holster, foot movement while moving.

Correct presentation from the holster is important, how a two handed grip is applied in the draw stroke also matters.  

A one handed pistol grip when you add in a shitload of adrenalin in a real shooting situation is not the most stable shooting grip imo.

Movement laterally without correct foot movement is a good way to end up on your ass with a pistol pointing where?

A blank sheet of cardboard is not helping in keeping shots in a specific area, without a point of aim is a good way for a shot to go errant which in a real world scenario can lead to collateral damage.

I'm not a big fan of not using sights, at 4 yards that's not an issue, but the idea is to train one method for all distances, since sights are needed at longer distance is why sights are always used, to change shooting technique based on distance is problematic.

I realize your class is a one day ccw, and I'm guilty of inserting things which are a result of more extensive training.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the feedback.
I used one hand so I could just walk normally to move laterally in relation to the target.
It's natural, easier and safer than trying to sidestep, as one must do when using two hands.
We have drills that show it's rather easy to flow from half-hip to shoulder-point to two hands to sights, all while moving.
The pace in the video is intentionally slow. Speed comes on its own with fear.

-Lee
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't know what to say or think...

but the first post nails it!

You can't short cut skill building.  Having new shooters miss quickly does nothing to advance their skill.

Smooth is fast... fast in its self means nothing.

An instructor for 30 years... but what do I know.

View Quote

Funny enough, new students do just as well on this drill.
Grip the gun so it aligns with your forearm and it's as easy as pointing your finger at the target while you walk.
If you need to go the other direction, switch hands.

-Lee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top