Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Prime goes away, so do I.
View Quote

This.

If it wasn't for the free shipping, I'd buy it elsewhere.

But I've bought a shit ton since going prime and bought less at Walmart.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just bought 5 Under Armor Charged Cotton shirts with Amazon Prime. I have never seen them priced anywhere for under $25. I put them on my wish list and shockingly the price dropped to $15 each Prime. I saved $50, didn't have to pay taxes even though us FL Residents should be now and had them at my door in two days.

Please don't take away my Prime!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

camelcamelcamel.com
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Amazon Pantry is an effort to address this issue in part.

Amazon Pantry is a flat rate shipping option for select household items.  I was kind of miffed when I saw it.  I'm already paying for Prime so suddenly having to pay shipping for some things was annoying.  You can still get most of the items eligible for Pantry it seems but if you go regular Prime and not Pantry they cost more (but you avoid the flat rate shipping).

I would have rather seen a second tier of Prime where certain items only qualify if you hit a higher dollar minimum order.  So you would have $25 and up free shipping but second tier items would only qualify if you hit a $50 (or %100 or whatever) total.

I don't know what the fuck they need to do.  Higher Amazon Prime cost?  I'd pay a little more but there's a point where I'd think about shopping around again.  Send it by drone, I don't care.  I just want it and I want it free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Remember during the dotcom boom/bust how many companies were losing their ass of but were "making it up in market share". Yeah you can have 100% of the market if you're willing to not make a profit on it.
View Quote

There's something similar in many industries called "buying work".

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I am somehow not concerned about Amazon's profits.  Something tells me they'll be just fine.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember during the dotcom boom/bust how many companies were losing their ass of but were "making it up in market share". Yeah you can have 100% of the market if you're willing to not make a profit on it.

Yeah we call it "keeping the shop busy" and a couple of times a year give away a job or close to it, but it's not our entire business plan.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Their stock price dropped 10% today.  It's still @$320/share.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted: Hell their prices have seem to have caught up to what I can get at brick and mortar store.
View All Quotes
Quoted: Hell their prices have seem to have caught up to what I can get at brick and mortar store.

You mean the places where people used to go to get their stuff before Amazon and this.com and Box World put them out of business?

Quoted:
FSA is strong in this thread

You ain't lying.

Iffin I dint get my stuff so cheap, I'd pay reglar price for it at the sto.  Or not even buy it it the first place.

So, you'd either support the local store down on Mainstreet, help keep the dollars in your own community, or be fiscally responsible and put some back for a rainy day.  

So.......why wait?

Quoted:By the time Amazon runs out of money anyone else you want to order from will be out of business.

Quoted:Retailers around here simply suck balls at having a meaningful selection of stuff.  I don't mean that it's a small selection - but that they have entire departments that are completely irrelevant because they're missing 1 or 2 cheap items that you need to do basically anything with anything else they sell there.

The bigger the store, the worse it seems to get.   It's almost like the retards in HR are now migrating into inventory and buyer positions.  Probably for Amazon, LOL.

It's gotten to the point where there are a few dedicated local stores for certain types of items that I know I can count on, and will buy from even if I could get it cheaper on Amazon.   Everything else?  Fuck 'em.  If they're going to half-ass running their business, then I'm not going to bother spending gas to drive there.

I agree.  Unlike the gubmint stepping in and bailing out GM (and believe me, I know the ramifications of letting them die), if a business sucks, then they should close their doors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Problem with Amazon is that you really have to price check every single item so you don't get fucked.  For example:

$12 box of cereal ($3 in store)

$10/quart 55 gallon drum of Mobil 1 ($5 quart in store)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I work for a shipping company that uses Amazon. We average over 5,000 pkgs per day from our warehouse. Average price we bill is $2.53/pkg . My company just along the east coast does almost 500,000 per day at roughly this rate. You can't tell me they are losing money when they have negotiated shipping rate to be that fucking low.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been a Prime member for a few years. Eased into it slowly and the 'free' 2 day shipping sucked me in. Now I buy more than ever on Amazon.

Recently I've noticed a lot of Prime products are not shipping 2 day. I don't mind paying a tiny bit more for the covenience, and especially the 2 day. Not sure I'll re-up if they don't get back to 2 day shipping everything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Not concerned.

I used it, but if it fails to make money I assume it will go away.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a safe with free shipping from them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I ordered through prime last week. So much for two day shipping, I'm on day six
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contact them, they'll extend your membership.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Or offer a discount.

I got $50 off a gas grill that was one day later than the 2 day Prime "guaranteed delivery" date.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
They will be no different than any other store without free shipping.  Probably worse since most stores to free "site to store"
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Are they losing REAL money or are they losing 'on paper' money?  If they project they will make $10 mil and they only make $9 mil, well 'on paper' they lost $1 mil.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They will be no different than any other store without free shipping.  Probably worse since most stores to free "site to store"
View Quote

Wal Mart does free shipping to stores, I would imagine Wal Mart could eat Amazon's lunch if they really tried.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe it. I'm a prime member and I have a package that was shipped prime 2-day via UPS Surepost.  Was supposed to arrive Tuesday but has not shown up.  They refunded me $5 not being delivered on time and then since it's still not here, refunded my order too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Problem with Amazon is that you really have to price check every single item so you don't get fucked.  For example:

View Quote

I never purchased cereal from Amazon but I found out it was cheaper for me to by Mobil 1 from Walmart than Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If Prime goes away, so do I.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I never purchased cereal from Amazon but I found out it was cheaper for me to by Mobil 1 from Walmart than Amazon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their motor oil prices are ridiculous. Yet they have great prices on oil filters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never, never, had a prime order take more than 2 days and that's 100s of orders over many years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
If they're generating more than 40 million dollars in sales they wouldn't otherwise have had, then that 40 million isn't a "loss."   It's a necessary expense for their good business model.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

^^ This ^^

In TN all their Prices went up by 10%(sales tax since Jan 1, 2014)

I went from spending  $10,000.00-$14,000.00 per year to less than $100.00 per month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More than a few Amazon purchases I've made were due to the free shipping on a competitively priced item.
No free shipping, no purchase.
While it's costing them, it's also driving the brand. At least in my case.

^^ This ^^

In TN all their Prices went up by 10%(sales tax since Jan 1, 2014)

I went from spending  $10,000.00-$14,000.00 per year to less than $100.00 per month.

+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#27]
They already add the shipping cost to the items, it's an old marketing trick.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I never use Amazon. I like to see and feel before I buy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I'm not even an Amazon Prime member, but I never pay shipping unless I absolutely need to.  Always wait till I have $35 worth of stuff before I do my next order.
View Quote

Same here

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's interesting.  I've been a prime member for years so I don't know if I'd be buying as much stuff if I had to pay for shipping.
View Quote

Same. We do 98% of our shopping online, mostly Amazon. Even heavy cases of cat food & huge boxes of diapers.
I'd hate to go back to having to go shopping all the time.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#31]
They will probably charge more to be a prime member now, and to re new it as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Using Subscribe & Save , saves me a TON of money. 20% off on all the consumables in my house is a serious savings.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Prime is $80.00Amazon estimates the have about 25 million prime members.

25,000,000 X $80.00 = 2,000,000,000.

Yes that is correct... 2 billion dollars.

View Quote

Lots of those are discount or free prime memberships.

I was a free member (amazon student) for quite a while.  Now, for the last 3 years, I've been on the $39/year prime.

There have to be tons of cheap people like me.

Side note:  Ever since Amazon capitulated on collecting tax in Texas, I've switched to buying elsewhere for a lot of items.  When my discount prime ends and I'd have to pay $99, I don't think I'll pay.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I dont see how. Everytime I buy something the price with free shipping is the same as buying from another vendor on amazon and paying shipping.

I only use it once or twice a month for uncommon items so maybe its not that way on other things.

20 dollars with free shipping or 13 dollars with 7 dollar shipping. Prime is such a good deal.
View Quote

Free two day shipping. Big difference than just whatever is the cheapest (and usually slowest) shipping most vendors pick. Case in point, order some PC parts yesterday afternoon. They will be at my door step by this evening. And I shopped around, Amazon still had the best price.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#36]
137 orders since 09 and 44 items sold. I think they can overcome the problem but would definitely be wary of the stock price in the short term.  I want to see them innovate and run USPS out of business and bring the UPS/ FedEx prices down if possible.  Shipping is certainly an expensive logistic but I think there is a way we can do it better.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Shopping for stuff on amazon is better than going to a store because I hate people. Plus it seems like more than half of the time I cant even find the stuff im looking for at the real stores. Free shipping is just a perk to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What article are all you Jim Cramers reading ?

They posted a loss?  So that means it is all because they ate free shipping costs?

Or do you think they spent more money on new technology, distribution centers, rights to media content, etc etc?

You guys are right ....Probably not....i doubt they price their items accordingly to cover a hugely discounted shipping rate....they probably can't figure out UPS costs and their entire loss was shipping items at cost thus losing money
View Quote

A lot of people here are clueless.

Amazon has so much freight I'm sure they can practically dictate rates with forwarders.

It sure is surprising that for a company "losing" so much money! they are hiring like crazy and have basically overtaken a portion of downtown Seattle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:51:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Amazon has so much freight I'm sure they can practically dictate rates with forwarders.

It sure is surprising that for a company "losing" so much money! they are hiring like crazy and have basically overtaken a portion of downtown Seattle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What article are all you Jim Cramers reading ?

They posted a loss?  So that means it is all because they ate free shipping costs?

Or do you think they spent more money on new technology, distribution centers, rights to media content, etc etc?

You guys are right ....Probably not....i doubt they price their items accordingly to cover a hugely discounted shipping rate....they probably can't figure out UPS costs and their entire loss was shipping items at cost thus losing money

I've been kicking myself for not buying Amazon stock in the past.   This may be a good opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have had this same experience a couple of times. I have the Prime account and my wife does not so when I look at items on her ipad it doesnt show the Prime price. Several times it was cheaper to buy it through her account including shipping than it was to use my Prime account. However, I don't think the suit would have a leg to stand on because as a Prime member I paid for included 2-day shipping on select items, not the lowest price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Propaganda. Lies Bullshit!!!

It was on talk radio today- the host- logged into prime, wanted to buy something for his daughter, yelled through house to wife LETS GET THIS, she said SEND ME THE LINK..he did.

She wasnt logged into Prime....hers was cheaper WITH SHIPPING than his was shipped. He said there is a pending lawsuit ont his very thing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/amazon-customers-accuse-commerce-giant-cheating-prime-members/story?id=22882043

I have had this same experience a couple of times. I have the Prime account and my wife does not so when I look at items on her ipad it doesnt show the Prime price. Several times it was cheaper to buy it through her account including shipping than it was to use my Prime account. However, I don't think the suit would have a leg to stand on because as a Prime member I paid for included 2-day shipping on select items, not the lowest price.

A lot of people don't realize that there are almost always multiple sellers for an item. Many times another seller that doesn't offer prime will be cheaper. But, you're not going to get it in two days.

Amazon also picks a default seller for you based on certain criteria. Cheapest is usually picked unless someone else offers prime shipping. You can pick a different seller though.

Are you saying the SAME seller's price changed between accounts ?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I never use Amazon. I like to see and feel before I buy.
View Quote
I love Amazon.  They always have what I am looking for and what would otherwise cost me hours of time and gas money looking for around town, usually in vain.  I hate shopping in person, I love Amazon.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I actually made a comment a few months back related to this very thing (aka...I don't know how they make money)....

I ordered some NGK spark plugs for my GTO...8 of em....price from the brick and mortar stores was $8.53 each....price from amazon was $4.24 each....I also ordered a set of Bosch (stock) plug wires....brick and mortar: $90...amazon $45.... I ordered all items at the same time...

I got ONE spark plug next day aired to me in a huge assed box (2day shipping was selected)....I got the other 7 plugs the day after the first....and the plug wires that evening....both in individual huge ass boxes...

All of them came from the same warehouse...

It didn't seem real smart to me....but whatever...I saved a good chunk of change waiting two days...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I have wondered for a long time how they could sustain the free shipping feature.   Obviously I like it,  but what I like even more is the fact that they have damn near everything I want; saves me a lot of time.  I'll still be a customer if shipping charges float up to actual cost.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Wikipedia says they had a net income of $274 million in 2013, although they had a loss the previous year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Note that the cereal is from a 3rd party and amazon is just fulling the order.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:, I would imagine Wal Mart could eat Amazon's lunch if they really tried.
View Quote

They are starting to get their feet wet.  If you look at their site, they now have outside sellers, just like Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:53:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:Are you saying the SAME seller's price changed between accounts ?
View Quote

Not the first I've heard of it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#48]
they make it up by charging a little more than everyone else
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are they otherwise still profiting or is the business losing money period?  I ordered stuff with free shipping and it's been a week now and they still have not even shipped it yet.. I can't remember the last time waiting a week period, let alone that they haven't even put it in the mail, I'm'a start paying if free is gonna take 2 weeks.
View Quote

Yeah same here, i order for 2 day free shipping on Sunday and it takes til Thursday for my items to arrive.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#50]
The problems can be easily traced back to Obama and the high price of Gas.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top