BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
FSA is strong in this thread
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont see how. Everytime I buy something the price with free shipping is the same as buying from another vendor on amazon and paying shipping.

I only use it once or twice a month for uncommon items so maybe its not that way on other things.

20 dollars with free shipping or 13 dollars with 7 dollar shipping. Prime is such a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Without 2 day shipping, I would order less.  Example, I ordered a part for the boat.  I ordered yesterday and will be delivered tomorrow so I can install it tomorrow night and go out on Saturday.  Without 2 day, I would have stopped at the dealer today after work and installed it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Prime is $80.00
Amazon estimates the have about 25 million prime members.

25,000,000 X $80.00 = 2,000,000,000.

Yes that is correct... 2 billion dollars.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of course they lose money with every sale, but don't worry, they'll make it up in volume!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting that Amazon has developed into the Walmart of the internet.  But they're losing money.  

"Google, Apple and Facebook invest all the time in innovation, and don't have losses like this," she says. "The big difference is Amazon is spending all this money on shipping those orders."

The costs of free shipping are larger than Amazon expected when it started the program. Amazon, she says, has "created a beast they now have to feed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/07/24/amazon-announces-second-quarter-results/13107009/

Of course they lose money with every sale, but don't worry, they'll make it up in volume!!

my customers and employees always say things to that effect. Like if you lose money so many times it turns into a profit. Sign me up for that. Lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've ordered a drywall jack, kegarator  and other heavy ass things shipped prime 2 day, shipping had to be outrageous for 2 day even at their discounted rate
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont see how. Everytime I buy something the price with free shipping is the same as buying from another vendor on amazon and paying shipping.

I only use it once or twice a month for uncommon items so maybe its not that way on other things.

20 dollars with free shipping or 13 dollars with 7 dollar shipping. Prime is such a good deal.
View Quote

Are you getting two day shipping with that vendor? Or next day shipping for another few bucks?

I got jeep control arm mounting brackets delivered to my house with SAME DAY shipping for a $6 up charge. SAME FUCKING DAY! I can't find another merchant that does that.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting that Amazon has developed into the Walmart of the internet.  But they're losing money.  

"Google, Apple and Facebook invest all the time in innovation, and don't have losses like this," she says. "The big difference is Amazon is spending all this money on shipping those orders."

The costs of free shipping are larger than Amazon expected when it started the program. Amazon, she says, has "created a beast they now have to feed."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/07/24/amazon-announces-second-quarter-results/13107009/
View Quote

Bullshit
Buy a item for 50.00 costs them 20 for the item  plus 5 to ship
They still make money
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They started charging tax here in FL and I still order from them. Free shipping
along with fair prices beats the heck out of driving around town in traffic for hours
buying the same thing I can order in minutes has value to me.
View Quote

Are you sure about that? Because I ordered a blade-tech holster from amazon on the 16th and it didn't show any sales tax calculated into the price on the order invoice.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If they were  Midway they would be out of business.  I am Prime but think its ridiculous that I can order a $8.00 SD card and have it shipped free. They should have a $20 min so people like me combine orders together.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Prime is $80.00Amazon estimates the have about 25 million prime members.

View Quote

Your point? Revenue is 10 times that number yet they're still losing money
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Same here.  Prime member since '09 and currently do +-80% of my shopping on amazon.  My purchases would drop dramatically if it wasn't for free 2 day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's interesting.  I've been a prime member for years so I don't know if I'd be buying as much stuff if I had to pay for shipping.

Same here.  Prime member since '09 and currently do +-80% of my shopping on amazon.  My purchases would drop dramatically if it wasn't for free 2 day.

This
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not even an Amazon Prime member, but I never pay shipping unless I absolutely need to.  Always wait till I have $35 worth of stuff before I do my next order.
View Quote

^ This. I have about 9k worth of stuff in my Saved for later bin that I pick from to get free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One thing to remember is that they are building MULTI MILLION DOLLAR warehouses across
the country and this counts against profits, but will bring lower costs in the long run.

The place they are build close to me is GIGANTIC!
View Quote

Don't know if you're talking about the one in Ruskin or not but that place is freaking huge!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you getting two day shipping with that vendor? Or next day shipping for another few bucks?

I got jeep control arm mounting brackets delivered to my house with SAME DAY shipping for a $6 up charge. SAME FUCKING DAY! I can't find another merchant that does that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess you have a point there. It usually is 3 to 4 day shipping but about 60 percent of what I buy doesnt have amazon overnight shipping either. It says it is unavailable.   I buy oddball stuff so that probably is a lot of the cause. I dont know how it works on everyday stuff.

I live in a rural area so same day isnt possible. I spend around 5 grand a month on overnight shipping at work. Failure rate is over 50 percent at times. Some of the delivery guys when I call them will say something to the effect of "yeah its sitting in the trailer, hadnt got around to it". Quick shipping is good but I dont get the full benefit out here.

Everytime I use amazon I am dissatisfied because I never get these super deals that people rave about. I want to love it.

I Truly do. For me and what I buy it just isnt there. I had prime for 2 years. Ordered around 150 items on 50 different occasions and id be shocked if I saved 150 on shipping to cover the membership.

Im sure its great for others, but I dont use it unless I have to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The cost of free shipping is quoted. They conveinently forget to mention the net profit generated from offering free shipping.

So negative, it is not losing 40M a month to free shipping. It is earning $X dollars not mentioned after subtracting costs of offering free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bullshit
They still make money
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit
They still make money

Yep they're making money otherwise they wouldn't be offering the service.  They aren't a charity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Blame your state. Amazon tried to fight it off in CA but obviously lost.

If their super saver goes away I will look more frequently at other places myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since they started charging sales tax for my state I rarely use them and never for large purchases. Its the reason I let my Prime sub lapse

Blame your state. Amazon tried to fight it off in CA but obviously lost.

If their super saver goes away I will look more frequently at other places myself.

Wrong. They endorsed it in MANY states to kill off other online vendors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
along with fair prices beats the heck out of driving around town in traffic for hours
View Quote

A study a year or so ago found that even with sales tax, you come out ahead with Amazon.
Their customer service rocks. Fuck almost every local store and their mouth breathing employees.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yet Ebay is always cheaper...
View Quote

Fuuuucckkk.... Not if you figure in the headaches.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I am part of the problem

I buy everything I can from there.

If they raise the prime price to 100$/year I'll still be making a killing.

If they take away free shipping then fuck 'em.

I'll become a Walmart.com boy.

I live in a rural part of a rural state and live three miles away from the nearest store.
View Quote

They already raised the price to prime to 100

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have had this same experience a couple of times. I have the Prime account and my wife does not so when I look at items on her ipad it doesnt show the Prime price. Several times it was cheaper to buy it through her account including shipping than it was to use my Prime account. However, I don't think the suit would have a leg to stand on because as a Prime member I paid for included 2-day shipping on select items, not the lowest price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Propaganda. Lies Bullshit!!!

It was on talk radio today- the host- logged into prime, wanted to buy something for his daughter, yelled through house to wife LETS GET THIS, she said SEND ME THE LINK..he did.

She wasnt logged into Prime....hers was cheaper WITH SHIPPING than his was shipped. He said there is a pending lawsuit ont his very thing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/amazon-customers-accuse-commerce-giant-cheating-prime-members/story?id=22882043

I have had this same experience a couple of times. I have the Prime account and my wife does not so when I look at items on her ipad it doesnt show the Prime price. Several times it was cheaper to buy it through her account including shipping than it was to use my Prime account. However, I don't think the suit would have a leg to stand on because as a Prime member I paid for included 2-day shipping on select items, not the lowest price.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have noticed quite a few things I have ordered come from 3rd parties out of state thus no tax and still prime eligable.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Obviously Amazon needs to apply some six sigma principles to fix this.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
What article are all you Jim Cramers reading ?

They posted a loss?  So that means it is all because they ate free shipping costs?

Or do you think they spent more money on new technology, distribution centers, rights to media content, etc etc?

You guys are right ....Probably not....i doubt they price their items accordingly to cover a hugely discounted shipping rate....they probably can't figure out UPS costs and their entire loss was shipping items at cost thus losing money
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Bullshit

They still make money
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

They still make money

Read the article.  Amazon says that they are losing money.  

They also pay $3 for guys to maintain the website, $5 for Jeff Bezos' corporate jet, $10 to compensate Amazon's directors...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That's interesting.  I've been a prime member for years so I don't know if I'd be buying as much stuff if I had to pay for shipping.
View Quote

I would not be making near as many purchases if there wasn't "free" (included in Prime) shipping.

I put in two orders today.  If the free shipping stopped I would have put in none.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]
By the time Amazon runs out of money anyone else you want to order from will be out of business.

I would actually pay more for shipping if the shipper guaranteed it would never go thru the USPS at any point.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Time to roll out the delivery drones
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I use it as my primary source when looking for most things. That would change quickly if free shipping went away.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It was on talk radio today- the host- logged into prime, wanted to buy something for his daughter, yelled through house to wife LETS GET THIS, she said SEND ME THE LINK..he did.

She wasnt logged into Prime....hers was cheaper WITH SHIPPING than his was shipped. He said there is a pending lawsuit ont his very thing.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/amazon-customers-accuse-commerce-giant-cheating-prime-members/story?id=22882043
View Quote

And how long would it take to ship?

I know I have paid a few extra dollars for something that is eligible for Amazon Prime but it feel it's worth it because I get it in two days instead of waiting a long period of time for the non-Amazon Prime item.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I hardly ever have to go to a real store with amazon prime. Large selection of stuff and delivery to my door.

The price for prime is going up soon but I think it will still be a bargin. I think.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:35:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is your problem.

If it's not food or clothing 90% of my shopping is done on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

saw that a couple years ago,
kind like walmart alot of time the larger package costs more per unit, another thing they do is put items at the end of isles with a huge price sign then put same item but different variety across from it with no price sign , yep a checkout instead of $1.98 it's $2.49
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Prime is $80.00Amazon estimates the have about 25 million prime members.

View Quote

Assume each member orders something around 12 orders a year. Assume they got a REALLY good deal and it costs them at minimum $10 per 2nd day air item.

That equals $3 Billion. That comes to $83 Million a month. So to fit what they are actually using people would have to order 10 a year or more, that would put it at $41.5 million a month loss. Obviously adjust either their shipping cost or customer's average orders a year to get to the read number.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

More than a few Amazon purchases I've made were due to the free shipping on a competitively priced item.

No free shipping, no purchase.

While it's costing them, it's also driving the brand. At least in my case.
View Quote

That sale that you would have given the profitable company went to Amazon. I wonder how many small companies are going to be forced out while Amazon bleeds out.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

kind like walmart alot of time the larger package costs more per unit, another thing they do is put items at the end of isles with a huge price sign then put same item but different variety across from it with no price sign , yep a checkout instead of $1.98 it's $2.49
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I havent really noticed this with stuff straight from amazon, but their 3rd party resellers defintetly charge more when it is prime.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Amazon makes their money off shipping. There is no way they are losing that much a money and have a stock price like it is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Amazon: Nearly 20 Years In Business And It Still Doesn't Make Money, But Investors Don't Seem To Care.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amazon-nearly-20-years-business-it-still-doesnt-make-money-investors-dont-seem-care-1513368

View Quote

THis is one of those phenoms I can not understand. People piss and moan about Apple, but they make money every fucking quarter and have BILLIONS of $$$$$ in profit. Amazon , critics want to suck Jeff Beeeezzzos' cock and he can not make a profit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I've placed a whopping 23 orders since 2000. I don't even think they would total $1k. I never thought their prices were that great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#41]
They raised prime from 75-95 dollars a little bit ago so that should help them some but yeah I see them changing the delivery to free but making it 3-4 days so it doesn't cost them as much.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Amazon makes their money off shipping. There is no way they are losing that much a money and have a stock price like it is.
View Quote

THEY HAVE NEVER POSTED A PROFIT!!! What part of that can you not understand? Other companies have gone years even decades without posting loses, but Amazon has never EVER POSTED A PROFIT.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The wife and I had this discussion.

Free shipping is the reason we buy most of our shit on Amazon.

UPS is by the house 3-4 days a week.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#44]
As an engineer for a major shipping company who was offered a very lucrative position with Amazon (but turned it down.... fuck Seattle is all I have to say) I can tell you for a fact:

1 - Amazon knows it's in trouble because of the vast amount they pay the big 3 shipping companies (UPS, FEDEX, & USPS) ... big trouble.
2 - They are expending vast amounts of money on facilities and personal to rectify the problem
3 - They have no idea how to run, manage, or maintain a shipping fleet of any type... ground, air, or the always humerus drone.
4 - The vast majority of their engineering staff are twenty something hipsters that can barely engineer a creative solution to opening their hello kitty lunch box.
5 - This is only the beginning of their infrastructure issues.

In my opinion,  if you have Amazon.com stock..... sell it now. Long term they have no solution to their problems other than throwing money at it... they waste tons of capital every day and have no idea of what they are doing when it comes to the shipping game... other than pay someone else to do it.

P.s. I've been a Prime member for going on 3 years now.... every time I order something it's like I'm taking money from that idiot Bizeos' pocket and I love it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I've placed a whopping 23 orders since 2000. I don't even think they would total $1k. I never thought their prices were that great.
View Quote

A dozen orders for me. I can't stand their website, and they are not cheap.

The best way to save money is to buy in bulk loss leader or liquidation items from smaller companies and to direct import sales samples from Asia.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Since they started charging sales tax for my state I rarely use them and never for large purchases. Its the reason I let my Prime sub lapse
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I was listening to the same show!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I highly doubt that amazon is actually struggling, despite "losing" money on free shipping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Remember during the dotcom boom/bust how many companies were losing their ass of but were "making it up in market share". Yeah you can have 100% of the market if you're willing to not make a profit on it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If Prime goes away, so do I.
View Quote

I'm not going anywhere as long as the regular "fulfilled by Amazon" items have normal shipping costs.

Retailers around here simply suck balls at having a meaningful selection of stuff.  I don't mean that it's a small selection - but that they have entire departments that are completely irrelevant because they're missing 1 or 2 cheap items that you need to do basically anything with anything else they sell there.

The bigger the store, the worse it seems to get.   It's almost like the retards in HR are now migrating into inventory and buyer positions.

It's gotten to the point where there are a few dedicated local stores for certain types of items that I know I can count on, and will buy from even if I could get it cheaper on Amazon.   Everything else?  Fuck 'em.  If they're going to half-ass running their business, then I'm not going to bother spending gas to drive there.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top