Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 4:29:23 PM EDT
So, I'm a professional auto tech for a living. I'm also 26, and at this point in my life I should no longer have a problem with acne. I don't on my face, but I do on my shoulders, back, and sometimes my upper arms. I think the problem ismy wonderful gift of enlarged pores, coupled with working under dirty, greasy, nasty cars every day. That shit just trickles into my shirt which then grinds it into my skin.

I've tried several different acne cleansers and scrubs and they don't really work

So, for any of you who may have had a similar issue, what worked for you?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they have prescription stuff if nothing regular will get rid of it. That is assuming all of your grooming habits and such are up to snuff.

I'm a grease monkey as well and I will get an occasional zit but nothing chronic or regular.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Accutane. Only thing that actually gets rid of it- for good.

You will hear many horror stories. Some here also may also say dont do it. HOWEVER, there has been a major change in the dosage philosophy. The new thing to do is a MUCH lower dose over a longer time. Im talking 10-30mg a day instead of 80-160mg. Little to no side effects (especially the long term ones) are seen on low dose and the rate of remission is identical to traditional high dose, as long as the final cumulative dose is the same. This has been shown in recent studies, and I would only go with a dermatologist that is up to date with this treatment protocol and will use it.

The soaps, the creams, its all bullshit especially if you have acne you haven't grown out of.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
See a doc.

Seriously.

Low grade antibiotics or prescription gels may be needed.

BTW, how much back hair do you have?

If the answer is any at all, there you go.

I had really bad acne on my back, along with ridiculous itching, during the summer (Work outside and get soaked, shirt pulls on it after) with my back hair (light, blond, not wookie thick....)

My wife keeps it trimmed and the break outs are rare, if ever.

Shower before and after work?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Accutane changed my life

I took it in high school in the mid 90s, before I took it I have horrible acne that caused further infections, taking it sucked, mupy skin cracked and I needed Chapstick on my lips and nose all the time

Once I was done taking it, no more acne, none
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What's your diet like?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
See a Dermatologist. Do not waste time with a normal GP.

Been there, done that as the saying goes.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Accutane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I use Neutragena and it seems to work but if it gets really bad I'll use my wife's 3 or 4 step Clinique stuff. Usually in 2-3 days it's gone. If I were you I'd try bringing a bottle of Seabreeze and cotton balls to works and clean your face 2-3x a day.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you wear an undershirt? It will help keep the crud off your skin. Also, see a dermatologist, not a GP.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
ive heard the skin on your back is thicker, harder to remove and clogs pores easier, so try a more abrasive sea sponge/ loofa/ sand paper/ angle grinder.
It might just be your age, and it will get better as you get older.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay away from anything that will greatly reduce your sebaceous glands.  That is where the pesky oil comes from,  but it is also accepted that tesosterone is converted to DHT there....    DHT is good,  no DHT is bad....

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
You got your info a little mixed up there. The size and output of the sebaceous glands is the enemy. Also while test gets converted to DHT, DHT is still a very powerful androgen that will increase sebaceous size and output. Infact the only other thing that can directly address sebaceous gland size and output besides the gene switching that accutane causes is an anti-dandruff shampoo called Nizoral. Its active ingredient is ketoconazole an antifungal that also works as an androgen receptor antagonist. Many people find it works well for mild hair loss as well as acne reduction. Its expensive tho.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Stay away from anything that will greatly reduce your sebaceous glands.  That is where the pesky oil comes from,  but it is also accepted that tesosterone is converted to DHT there....    DHT is good,  no DHT is bad....

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Huh. I was going post a similar question a few days ago. I never really got a me on my face (one or two from time to time) but I get them all the time on my upper arms. Always been this way. I shower regularly and use a loofa scrubber thingy. Nothing ever seems to help.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Benzoyl Peroxide... Point blank PERIOD!!!

PanOxyl 10% foaming wash from Walgreens is what I use (I use it on my face and scalp, but its for everything!)

I also use Clearisil "Vanishing acne treatment" ointment shit for spot treating stubborn fuckers!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top