Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm good with mig and learning tig. My auto helmet kicks ass.

My work.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Imagine welding before auto darkening lenses. Lots of guys wore those helmets that lifted up and down by opening your mouth and closing it. I prefer submerged arc welding myself. After it's set up nothing to do then but stand around and wait.

http://www.accustrike.com/chero3.gif

View Quote

I like to set mine up so it flips down with a "head nod".  Line up the torch, rod, and work, flip it down, and go to it.

My cheap-ish auto darkeners spent more time riding around in the back of my truck than being used (I'm not a welder; I just stick hot metal together) and the ones I had liked to break if you looked at them wrong.

Now oxy-fuel, gimme my fuckin' goggles and it's on!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Old way is best way..

We still run mostly stick for our thicker plate stuff (1-6").. We do some flux core or subarc but burning sticks is still a worthy method.

I also always have a spare non electric hood with me.
View Quote

Even with the "new" helmets I still nod my head at least 50% of the time.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had two years of welding in high school in the early 80's. They taught stick and gas, someone would get hurt in just about every class.

Do they still offer welding in high school today?
View Quote

Not in highschool (30), but I am going back to a PT school this year to learn welding/fab/cnc.

Made the mistake of wasting years getting my worthless bachelors
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Very first time I was welding stick I was wearing corduroy bell bottoms with a cuff. Yep up in flames went me pants.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very first time I was welding stick I was wearing corduroy bell bottoms with a cuff. Yep up in flames went me pants.
View Quote
I have an interesting scar between my toes that came from a similar story of my first time welding mig  

Don't weld in flip flops kids...

The sparkles burn!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For thin stuff, oxyacetylene rocks.  I had a national chain exhaust repair place use it on a car I owned in the 1990s .  Warranty work.

MIG is lazy, especially with ER70S2 wire and pure carbon dioxide, that shit is harder than woodpecker lips and brittle as glass, not what you want in exhaust work.
View Quote

Good to know.  I have a TIG welder in the basement that I do any off the car exhaust welds on.  I need to rewire my garage to run a TIG.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had two years of welding in high school in the early 80's. They taught stick and gas, someone would get hurt in just about every class.

View Quote

They took the classes away in my old high school shortly after I graduated (90's).   They wanted to steer people away from the trades and into 4 year colleges.  Not to mention we were welding up cannons, swords, and spears in class.  

I learned on a stick welder and a traditional hood.  I was introduced to TIG and the auto dimmer in college welding together tubular steel space frames for race cars.
MIG is my answer to anything that's a pain in the ass to weld now a days.  Just point and shoot.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's how most of the welding is done here in the oil patch.

You can't weld outdoors in a breeze with a mig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forge weld.
Oxy/acetylene gas weld.
Stick welding is for beginners

Flux core MIG wire will do breezy welds.   It's what I use when welding outside.  

The Flux Core welds look like shit, though.  And you have to chip slag off, just like stick welds.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old way is best way..

We still run mostly stick for our thicker plate stuff (1-6").. We do some flux core or subarc but burning sticks is still a worthy method.

then wonder if anyone noticed?

I have both hoods with me all the time. 75% of the time I use the regular one, I do have gold comfort lens in it though so maybe that makes it hitech.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Understand was fixing a galvanized trampoline frame and yea ...

but i think most welders these days know or should know and get air accordingly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit.

I guess I'm an old guy.

Same here.

Used to work as a ship-fitter/welder back in the '80s building barges. No such thing as auto-dimming hoods...used to run a subarc on the deck plates, 7018 stick for everything else.

Glad I got out of the welding thing, most of the guys that I used to work with are dead of emphysema...welding and smoking is an evil combination.

more of the latter i would think

Go read the four chapters of miniscule print on a package of electrodes or welding wire and get back to us on that.  

Understand was fixing a galvanized trampoline frame and yea ...

but i think most welders these days know or should know and get air accordingly

Most of the welders I see on the steel building jobs I am sometimes found on seem  to think that breathing through a filtered cigarette is adequate protection, and as for galvnaized steel, they regularly weld corrugated decking panels in the thousands of square feet with no protection, that fuming zinc seems to have an affinty for everything, skin. mucus membranes, hair and clothes.

Nasty and dangerous shit to breathe for sure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Flux core MIG wire will do breezy welds.   It's what I use when welding outside.  

The Flux Core welds look like shit, though.  And you have to chip slag off, just like stick welds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forge weld.

Oxy/acetylene gas weld.

That's pretty much all we run in a structural steel fab shop. Exept for stuff you can't use it on. For our plate work we use a submerged arc welder.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I know an older gentleman, about 80-85, that started welding in the early 1960's.  He told me he had "burned more rods than I could count in a lifetime".  I believe 100% of that to be truth too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Back in the day I would have welded it with gas and a coat hanger....freaking kids.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have both hoods with me all the time. 75% of the time I use the regular one, I do have gold comfort lens in it though so maybe that makes it hitech.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old way is best way..

Ha! I do the same thing... too often

I've been dragging my old Matco-Jackson hood with the half-sized auto lens , for almost 20 years now . I kept meaning to buy a new , full-size hood , but the old one still works too well .

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:03:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Most of the welders I see on the steel building jobs I am sometimes found on seem  to think that breathing through a filtered cigarette is adequate protection, and as for galvnaized steel, they regularly weld corrugated decking panels in the thousands of square feet with no protection, that fuming zinc seems to have an affinty for everything, skin. mucus membranes, hair and clothes.

View Quote

A buddy of mine works for Amtrak. The welding helmet he uses for galvanized steel is full head, with remote filtration. Pretty neat setup to see, very soviet gas mask-esque.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:09:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Auto darkeners don't like being dropped.
Nor do they like extreme cold as in negative degrees.
And some are quite position sensitive about arc to sensor.
You are not a welder if you can't weld with a standard hood. You are a guy that can weld under the right circumstances.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I used to be union and one of the sayings or tenets of union work was "You make your own conditions out there."

But not to turn this into a pro-union or anti-union bashing thread.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#22]
My father was a welder on the Trans Alaska pipeline.

He would tell me stories about being able to throw your hot coffee out and have it turn to slush by the time it hit the ground.

He eventually broke his back but not before buying my childhood home with his earnings.

They made some pretty solid money on that job.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:10:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Just really started using auto darkeners a few years ago(did not really trust them before that).Still a lot of stuff at my work that will destroy a
auto darkener real quick.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A buddy of mine works for Amtrak. The welding helmet he uses for galvanized steel is full head, with remote filtration. Pretty neat setup to see, very soviet gas mask-esque.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nearly 100% of everything we build in the shop at work we send out to be galvanized. Meaning nearly 100% of the stuff in the field (chemical plants and refineries) is galvanized. Guys working in the field doing field modifications and what not weld on it all the time. I never see anyone welding withing anything other than a helmet.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:36:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I went to welding school in 1976.  My instructor was a retired maint welder at Proctor and Gamble.  Now HE was old school.

He said he could fix anything but a broken heart, but he could still do a helluva job on that.

His stories were always good, including the one where they used to leave the rods in water to rust (to make a coating).  I don't see how that could work but he got pretty exercised if you doubted him.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I learned to weld on an old buzz box. I don't see anything wrong with them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where I worked, guys with facial hair were forbidden, by OSHA reg's, to wear respirators - so the full head rig would be a good option for them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yeah. That is sweet.

No more welding for me. I was a monkey nutter anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

friction welding is the best way

http://youtu.be/5JbnDXw-0pM

Yeah. That is sweet.

No more welding for me. I was a monkey nutter anyway.

When radial alignment is required, that is the best way.  Synchro rings are welded to the gears using that method.  Nearly every manual transmission have these.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Shit.

I guess I'm an old guy.
View Quote

I thought the same thing.  

Learned to weld when I was like 10 on the farm.  The one thing to say though is all the stuff you worked on back then was spacious, not packed in tighter than liberal asked to pay their own way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Half of the professional welders that work for me continue to use "old" lids because they don't like auto darkening.  

A great great many welders continue to weld with stick because of varying job requirements.  MIG has really only replaced stick in certain environments.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I learned to weld on an old buzz box. I don't see anything wrong with them.
View Quote

AC machines are in the wrong polarity half of the time, and heavy fabrication and maintenance welding will kill a small machine in a hurry.  Three-phase welders are used for the heavy stuff.
But for most consumer use, a buzz box will do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've gained a new respect for those that had to weld prior to auto dimming helmets and MIG welders.

I was welding a new flex coupler on my exhaust after it broke in two.  Lincoln 140 HD MIG welder with a Speedglas auto dimming helmet.  It still was a bitch lying under the car in 90 degree heat welding that fucker on.  

I can't imagine what that would have been like with a stick welder and an old helmet.  Any old time pro welders care to share stories?
View Quote

I've only been welding a few years or so and there is nothing old about a stick welder.
A stick welder is an excellent tool and has its place in every weld shop.
We have three welding machine here ..... Stick. TIG, and MIG and all get used.
My son just graduated from a Tech High School and he is certified by the AWS in welding 1/2" thick vertical stick welding.
Try your MIG welder outside on a windy day ....... nah forget that and get the stick welder.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Good to know.  I have a TIG welder in the basement that I do any off the car exhaust welds on.  I need to rewire my garage to run a TIG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For thin stuff, oxyacetylene rocks.  I had a national chain exhaust repair place use it on a car I owned in the 1990s .  Warranty work.

MIG is lazy, especially with ER70S2 wire and pure carbon dioxide, that shit is harder than woodpecker lips and brittle as glass, not what you want in exhaust work.

Must be an older machine, my Miller Dynasty runs on any voltage.  I have a military surplus generator that has a 208 three phase option, this is the best as the power cord limits 120 volt output.  SOOW 12 gauge 4 conductor.  The instruction manual only lists 240 and up three phase, I contacted Miller in Appleton WI and they said it is fine on 208 volts wye three phase.

That is the same story in my mil surp contact truck, 45 amps of 208 three phase .  That generator is driven off the truck's engine, via power take off on the transfer case.  When the utility power goes out, I have no worries.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I wish. There's a lot of stuff HS's don't teach anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish. There's a lot of stuff HS's don't teach anymore.

They offer it here in a Technical High School.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I had never used an auto-dark hood until my current job, and while it does offer some convenience I still prefer a passive lense. It doesn't help that the hoods the company makes us use are these heavy, bulky, awkward things...

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Must be an older machine, my Miller Dynasty runs on any voltage.  I have a military surplus generator that has a 208 three phase option, this is the best as the power cord limits 120 volt output.  SOOW 12 gauge 4 conductor.  The instruction manual only lists 240 and up three phase, I contacted Miller in Appleton WI and they said it is fine on 208 volts wye three phase.  

That is the same story in my mil surp contact truck, 45 amps of 208 three phase .  That generator is driven off the truck's engine, via power take off on the transfer case.  When the utility power goes out, I have no worries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Dynasty welders are amazing.  Miller donated one to our racing team at school.  I did our chassis with it.  Made welding nearly pop can thin aluminum on our intake manifold and gas tank a breeze too.

Spendy, though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had never used an auto-dark hood until my current job, and while it does offer some convenience I still prefer a passive lense. It doesn't help that the hoods the company makes us use are these heavy, bulky, awkward things...

http://www.ukwelder.com/shop2/helmets/images/speedglas_9100_FX_Air_Adlfo.jpg

View Quote

I wore an outfit similar to that when I got pulled into production welding when the UAW welders went on strike.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#41]
I would stick weld in school mostly.. But it is illegal on offroad race rigs

so i am forced to MIG
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#43]
metal shop in the 70's... when bell-bottom pants with fringed bottoms were popular.  most every week some dude would be on the cutting torch and his pants would catch fire.  or they 'push the bubble', get too close and POP!!!  2 minutes later their pants were on fire

wood shop in the same era.  some ass-hole would put a piece of wood on the bench grinder to fill it with sawdust then sharpen a chisel... and a fire would start in the grinder exhaust.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Where I worked, guys with facial hair were forbidden, by OSHA reg's, to wear respirators - so the full head rig would be a good option for them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nobody with a beard is allowed in most places I see guys welding except in the shop, all field welders have to be able to fit a respirator to their face in the event of a chemical release.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

He said he could fix anything but a broken heart, but he could still do a helluva job on that

View Quote

Could he weld the crack of dawn?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was a welder for about six years before we got some Millermatic wire welders even though I tested with solid and flux core wire when I was an apprentice. I was in the trade for about eighteen years before I got a Speedglas hood. And for the guy who says "Stick is for beginners", I know that you never worked as a fabricator. Doing fabrication work with stick & conventional hood VS wire & Speedglas hood is almost like two different trades, especially when it's production work that requires hundreds of little welds.
View Quote

+1 on that part
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I learned weld in my  early teens,  taught by my dad.   Old Lincoln stick welder and an old fibre metal "pipeliner" hood.  Good times.

I dont stick weld a lot anymore,  mainly just around the home/farm, and use an old Jackson hood with a #10 glass.    I TIG weld a lot at work, and use an auto darkening hood.   It's convenient due to the darkness adjustment.   Kinda nice to have instead of swapping out glass,  especially when welding something thin, and low amps,   Then having to weld something heavier, higher amps.  

On minute, I may be welding on .025 thick titanium or inconel, then have to weld some .125 thick aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Gotta chip the slag off to see how the weld turned out.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Forge weld.

Oxy/acetylene gas weld.

He should go weld on the pipeline.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#50]
clean metal and lots of welding go mig with auto hood...

stick welding around corners/with a mirror, tig pipe or any cutting/arcing operations i'll take a chunk of tinted glass.

and bitching about 90*? let me know when you have to suit up in coveralls, respirator, and leathers when its 140...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top