User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So how close is close enough?

See, this is the problem with your theory that "maritime boundaries" are the same thing as "borders." Maritime boundaries are man-made, legal constructs that vary in their extent from 3 miles or less out to 200 or more miles, depending on their purposes and the agreement of the countries. Trying to use them as a definition of "border" is a complete clusterfuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the U.S. border Cuba?

Yes.

Does the U.S. border Japan?

No, the distance is too great.

See, this is the problem with your theory that "maritime boundaries" are the same thing as "borders." Maritime boundaries are man-made, legal constructs that vary in their extent from 3 miles or less out to 200 or more miles, depending on their purposes and the agreement of the countries. Trying to use them as a definition of "border" is a complete clusterfuck.

Not really. Your jurisdictions do not border each other as there's international waters in between.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly dude, I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He's still better than your King.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would this need a poll?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1647818_Extreme_Antisemitism_taking_hold_in_Europe_again__Jews_flee_to_Israel.html&page=4

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russian is in her backyard.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo306/eviegray/windowlicker.jpg

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c1c2fcc0065f972d85fe89621bdef9ad?convert_to_webp=true

He's still better than your King.

Ouch!  This meatball is holding ground and then some
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
So Greece and Italy border Libya?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Somebody send this daffy bitch a globe!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So Greece and Italy border Libya?  
View Quote

International waters in between, so no.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Still waiting for the "Isn't Hawaii those islands off the Florida coast"  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

lol, all borders are man-made.

Even rivers.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Maritime borders do not count.
View Quote

If you can't see the other side
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Gilbert Islands is the ignored threat to Murican sovereignty. Has contiguous border with U.S.A.

A broad, maritimey one. But a shared border nonetheless.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#12]
If you said "No." then you need to consult maps.

Hurrrrrrp duuurrrrrp.

Maritime boarders = when two country's maritime territory boarders each other. If there is international waters, then there is no boarder. I think Alaska boarders Russia, if I remember right, because of this very reason.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russia is in her backyard.
View Quote
Just FYI, Palin never said that.  Tina Fey said that.  Don't confuse the two.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol, all borders are man-made.

Even rivers.

View Quote

If you want to get right down to it, even continents are kind of arbitrary. Seriously.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

So, borders are subjective?  Or is there some objective manner of defining them?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]
How would an opinion poll matter for a factual question?  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, borders are subjective?  Or is there some objective manner of defining them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

If there's international water in between, as in the case of Japan and the US, they hardly border each other, do they?

This isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When calling people stupid about a topic, it's typically best to actually be able to SPELL said topic.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you said "No." then you need to consult maps.

Hurrrrrrp duuurrrrrp.

Maritime boarders = when two country's maritime territory boarders each other. If there is international waters, then there is no boarder. I think Alaska boarders Russia, if I remember right, because of this very reason.

When calling people stupid about a topic, it's typically best to actually be able to SPELL said topic.  

Spellcheck fails me again. :(
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Some people have way too much time on their hands...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes Martime border. So he's right.

But no on land border.
View Quote

someone just let out a little squirt into their pants when they read that part of your post.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Maps.....how the fuck do they work ?
View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:40:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's just a difference in perception - not some horrible example of lack of education or intelligence.

When MOST people - especially in a huge land-mass like the U.S. - think of the word "border" they often think of a land border, and so the idea that France and Britain "border" each other is a bizarre concept to many, and Sweden/Russia seems even more far-fetched.

It's also pretty "easy" for Americans to think about borders, because they border Canada and Mexico, and are across the water from Russia up in the frozen north somewhere.  Boom.  Super-simple and easy, so there's not really any need to think about a more nuanced definition.  It doesn't mean they are crazy or stupid - it's just a different perception, or something that people haven't really thought carefully about.

Think about it this way - this thread may help "correct" (from your perspective) how people think about borders.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is one of the most absurd arguments in the history of GD. Do we have any flat earthers here as well?

It's just a difference in perception - not some horrible example of lack of education or intelligence.

When MOST people - especially in a huge land-mass like the U.S. - think of the word "border" they often think of a land border, and so the idea that France and Britain "border" each other is a bizarre concept to many, and Sweden/Russia seems even more far-fetched.

It's also pretty "easy" for Americans to think about borders, because they border Canada and Mexico, and are across the water from Russia up in the frozen north somewhere.  Boom.  Super-simple and easy, so there's not really any need to think about a more nuanced definition.  It doesn't mean they are crazy or stupid - it's just a different perception, or something that people haven't really thought carefully about.

Think about it this way - this thread may help "correct" (from your perspective) how people think about borders.  

I sort of like the Bizzaro-Swede way of looking at it.    I grew up in NJ, right on the border of England!

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:43:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I sort of like the Bizzaro-Swede way of looking at it.    I grew up in NJ, right on the border of England!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is one of the most absurd arguments in the history of GD. Do we have any flat earthers here as well?

Ever heard of international waters?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If there's international water in between, as in the case of Japan and the US, they hardly border each other, do they?

View Quote

Which arbitrarily created maritime boundary are you using? 3 miles? 200 mile economic zone? An area created by a treaty that defines fishing rights? Are those uniform across the entire planet?

When those irregularly shaped zones overlap, they don't form a line. It's like Venn diagram. So, where is the "border" in that case?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Still waiting for the "Isn't Hawaii those islands off the Florida coast"  
View Quote

Well, Hawaii Does share a border with Florida, and don't try to say otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Which arbitrarily created maritime boundary are you using? 3 miles? 200 mile economic zone? An area created by a treaty that defines fishing rights? Are those uniform across the entire planet?

When those irregularly shaped zones overlap, they don't form a line. It's like Venn diagram. So, where is the "border" in that case?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The border used varies by territory. In the Baltic it's mostly by treaty.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, those "International Waters" are owned by the US of A.

Prior to WWII, they were owned by Great Britain.    

You'd have to go pretty far back in history for Any Nordic claims at all.    
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:50:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#31]
ok wtf happened to Mr. T and who is that ugly white haired chick?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter.

It's just hilarious watching the derp unfold as the concept of strategic and maritime borders is completely dismissed by people who's grasp on international affairs and geo-political influence is somewhere around "go 'way..... 'batin'" and "'Murica fuck yeah" as they mash their tiny e-penis into the keyboard and contemplate the fact that many have never seen a border, let alone crossed one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter.

It's just hilarious watching the derp unfold as the concept of strategic and maritime borders is completely dismissed by people who's grasp on international affairs and geo-political influence is somewhere around "go 'way..... 'batin'" and "'Murica fuck yeah" as they mash their tiny e-penis into the keyboard and contemplate the fact that many have never seen a border, let alone crossed one.

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm right on the border with 100 countries every time I step onto my boat.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:02:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's one of the greatest Kings ever.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm right on the border with 100 countries every time I step onto my boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't matter.

What do you write on question 11F on the form 4473?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Let's clear up some terminology.

The zones of maritime boundaries are expressed in concentric limits surrounding coastal and feature baselines.[1]

Coastal waters—the zone extending 3 nm. from the baseline.[2]
Territorial sea—the zone extending 12 nm. from the baseline.[2]
Contiguous zone—the area extending 24 nm. from the baseline.[2]
Exclusive Economic Zone—the area extending 200 nm. from the baseline except when the space between two countries is less than 400 nm.[2]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_boundary)

While this is all fun a games look for a map or Maritime boundries in the Baltic sea and see what you can find.  from what i can tell there is mostly international waters and boundries of Sweden and Russia do not meet.    If you can find a map showing they do, please post it.

see no border.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The zones of maritime boundaries are expressed in concentric limits surrounding coastal and feature baselines.[1]

Exclusive Economic Zone—the area extending 200 nm. from the baseline except when the space between two countries is less than 400 nm.[2]

While this is all fun a games look for a map or Maritime boundries in the Baltic sea and see what you can find.  from what i can tell there is mostly internation waters and boundries of Sweden and Russia do not meet.    If you can find a map showing they do, please post it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Baltic_Sea_location_map.svg/502px-Baltic_Sea_location_map.svg.png

see no border.
View Quote

Look at your own map. See that line between Kaliningrad and Sweden?

That's a maritime border.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While this is all fun a games look for a map or Maritime boundries in the Baltic sea and see what you can find.  from what i can tell there is mostly internation waters and boundries of Sweden and Russia do not meet.    If you can find a map showing they do, please post it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Baltic_Sea_location_map.svg/502px-Baltic_Sea_location_map.svg.png

see no border.

You mean the one connecting it to Estonia?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

see no border.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  It's more like trying to nail jello to the wall.  Answer two questions for me, please.

Do you think that Sweden and Russia share a land border?

Are the territorial waters of Russia in the Baltic Sea coextensive with those of Finland and Estonia?

ETA:  IrishTech's map, pretty much clinches it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. T?    

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:18:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does Virginia border Maryland?

Same concept.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Take this squabble with the Swede to the pit and take the damn gloves off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

That's right.  You just go ahead and sail your longboats into the North Atlantic.   See how far you get.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You're right.  It's more like trying to nail jello to the wall.  Answer two questions for me, please.

Do you think that Sweden and Russia share a land border? No.

Are the territorial waters of Russia in the Baltic Sea coextensive with those of Finland and Estonia? What do you mean?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think that Sweden and Russia share a land border? No.

Are the territorial waters of Russia in the Baltic Sea coextensive with those of Finland and Estonia? What do you mean?  

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Your confusion is confusing me.  The Maritime boundry of Russia and Sweden to not touch on this map.  From what it looks to me is that Finland and Estonia's boundry overrides Russia's and then they meet Sweden.  Perhaps MS Paint is needed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Mr. T?    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. T?    

He too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1647818_Extreme_Antisemitism_taking_hold_in_Europe_again__Jews_flee_to_Israel.html&page=4

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russia is in her backyard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would this need a poll?

One of our Swedish members is convinced that Sweden "borders" Russia because Kaliningrad is 200 miles across the Baltic from the nearest point in Sweden. I think this is even more preposterous than Palin claiming that Russia is in her backyard.

What's the little house under your avatar mean?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#49]

Not really. Your jurisdictions do not border each other as there's international waters in between.
There's the point. Well done.

It's not a difficult concept, really.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Your confusion is confusing me.  The Maritime boundry of Russia and Sweden to not touch on this map.  From what it looks to me is that Finland and Estonia's boundry overrides Russia's and then they meet Sweden.  Perhaps MS Paint is needed.
View Quote

Look at the map. Look where Kaliningrad is. Sweden does share a border with it.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top