Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I agree.  However, if you already own it, your additional cost is $0.00.  Deciding to invest in an AR can only intelligently be done if you have a notion of how much extra juice you are going to get for the extra squeeze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:As has been said before, a reliable semi-automatic shotgun is going to cost you what a perfectly adequate AR costs, and you still run into the heavier recoil, which makes quicker shots more difficult.

I agree.  However, if you already own it, your additional cost is $0.00.  Deciding to invest in an AR can only intelligently be done if you have a notion of how much extra juice you are going to get for the extra squeeze.

Of course, in that instance, it's going to be cheaper. But if you are buying from the outset, then there's plenty convincing information out there from the last 12 years that the modern incarnation of the AR15 has become the most efficient weapon for the job. The shotgun probably isn't going to get you killed, but the AR is going to give you more flexibility, and an advantage in handling and ease of use. When you're in a life or death situation, even a minor advantage can make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Stop aggressive behavior.  That is what we want in a home invasion.  Killing is secondary.  We want the invader or invaders to STOP - right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I've said, calculating the probability of a one shop stop is a necessary intermediate step in calculating how many shots are necessary to be confident that 95% of the time, you can stop the other guy in X number of shots.

Define a "one stop shot". I have physically removed the heart from things that were still trying to kill me 10 minutes later.

Stop aggressive behavior.  That is what we want in a home invasion.  Killing is secondary.  We want the invader or invaders to STOP - right?

Unless you destroy the CNS you have no guarantee of stopping anything. Without a brain stem hit you have no guarantee of CNS disruption to the point of a stop. I have no doubt that a shotgun blast may kill someone, but that doesn't matter if they stab you before they bleed out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I've said, calculating the probability of a one shop stop is a necessary intermediate step in calculating how many shots are necessary to be confident that 95% of the time, you can stop the other guy in X number of shots.

You know Rick, I have nothing but respect for you, but that is absolutely crazy.

There is NO WAY to "calculate how many shots are necessary to be confident that 95% of the time, you can stop the other guy in X number of shots."

Such data is meaningless, as there is no way to calculate such numbers.

Discuss FACTS, not silliness.

One can look at the history of such encounters, and indeed calculate such numbers.

In fact, pretty much everything done with computerized modeling, from weather forecasting, to nuclear warhead design, to aerodynamics, to even military planning and training, does just that.

Nope.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=59541

So calculating average penetration, average group size, etc. - is also useless?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Which to anybody with an intellect above a potato knows has less than jack and/or shit to do with which is more effective.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto shotguns cost just as much and more in most cases than a basic AR-15(See M&P Sport series), so given a semi-auto shotgun or AR choice, you don't even have your "economic effectiveness" argument working in your favor.

Unless, of course, like my father - YOU ALREADY OWN ONE.  In which case your additional cost is $0.00.

Which is more likely to be found in a home, even at this late date?  A semi-auto shotgun, or an AR platform?

Which to anybody with an intellect above a potato knows has less than jack and/or shit to do with which is more effective.

So who told you?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The fact that ive told you 3 times in this thread. In shootings there is a fucking tiny percentage of shots that hit their target than not....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to claiming the carbine is better, because you can miss more often, faster?  I'm not sure "spray and pray" is a good strategy for home defense - or anything else.

Running out of ammo is fucking better?
http://media2.giphy.com/media/kNpPdmczklF8Q/giphy.gif

What are the odds that you are going to run out of ammo with 6 rounds?  With 10?  With 30?  Wouldn't that be interesting information to have, when deciding the relative merits of the systems we are discussing, and deciding whether to spend additional money on another system?

The fact that ive told you 3 times in this thread. In shootings there is a fucking tiny percentage of shots that hit their target than not....

What is that percentage for home invasion shootings?  How many shots does it take, on average, to end a homeinvasion shooting?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, and they determined that the AR (or in their case the M4) is the more effective weapons system when it comes to making bad people stop doing bad things.

And that's with less effective ammo that what civilians can use.

Some of us call that "a clue". Perhaps you should explore obtaining one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In fact, pretty much everything done with computerized modeling, from weather forecasting, to nuclear warhead design, to aerodynamics, to even military planning and training, does just that.

Yes, and they determined that the AR (or in their case the M4) is the more effective weapons system when it comes to making bad people stop doing bad things.

When and who made such a determination?  What criteria did they use, and what testing did they do?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What is that percentage for home invasion shootings?  How many shots does it take, on average, to end a homeinvasion shooting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to claiming the carbine is better, because you can miss more often, faster?  I'm not sure "spray and pray" is a good strategy for home defense - or anything else.

Running out of ammo is fucking better?
http://media2.giphy.com/media/kNpPdmczklF8Q/giphy.gif

What are the odds that you are going to run out of ammo with 6 rounds?  With 10?  With 30?  Wouldn't that be interesting information to have, when deciding the relative merits of the systems we are discussing, and deciding whether to spend additional money on another system?

Why? You told me you have studied it earlier. Look up ANY shooting data...

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless you destroy the CNS you have no guarantee of stopping anything. Without a brain stem hit you have no guarantee of CNS disruption to the point of a stop. I have no doubt that a shotgun blast may kill someone, but that doesn't matter if they stab you before they bleed out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define a "one stop shot". I have physically removed the heart from things that were still trying to kill me 10 minutes later.

I am not talking about "central nervous system shutdown".  That's good if you can get it.  No argument there.  What we are discussing, I though, was stopping a home invasion.

Some people will stop with a functioning CNS , yes?  Sometimes, non-lethal things can indeed stop someone - yes?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why? You told me you have studied it earlier. Look up ANY shooting data...

View Quote

I've read about it in general.  I never claimed to have access to a data set related to specifically home invasions.

Do you?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've read about it in general.  I never claimed to have access to a data set related to specifically home invasions.

Do you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you?

Do you think any shooting data is not relevant to home defense? Fucking google it.  Look up shooting fucking hit percentage.

don’t think that the 13 hits out of 100 rounds fired from law enforcement officers in a lethal confrontations are fight-stopping “center hits.” Most of the 13 are peripheral hits in the arms or below the waist due to the officers not focusing on the front sight and mashing the hell out of the trigger.

During 1999 in New York, only 13 percent of the bullets fired during police gunfights struck home. During 2006, NYPD’s gunfight hit rate was a much better 30 percent, but we don’t have enough information to know if this was a maintainable improvement or just a statistical variation.

Nationwide, law enforcement officers who get involved in shootings have a hit ratio of only around 20%. That means that 80% of their bullets do not hit the attackers

When a training gun stops firing (due to running out of pellets), the shooter is still in the fight and still trying to shoot his enemy as well as trying to not be hit by him. We see them continue to try to work the trigger for one or two times before there is a realization that there has been a stoppage (malfunction or empty gun). This is followed by a visual examination of the gun, and only then is remedial action taken.

This can take upwards of a second and a half before anything is even attempted to fix the gun, and then the additional time needed to reload. Thus the idea that one can read the gun’s feel and immediately realize a need to speed load simply does not hold up. Running out of ammo is usually a fight ender if there has been a failure to stop, or there are multiple adversaries at hand.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When and who made such a determination?  What criteria did they use, and what testing did they do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you think any shooting data is not relevant to home defense? Fucking google it.  Look up shooting fucking hit percentage.
View Quote

You know he's not going to do that.

He's going to continue to bukakke derp all over the keyboard muttering all about screen doors, TV shows from the '70s and nonsense about statistics in a miserable attempt to justify a decision he's clearly already made.

He's got a shotgun already, ergo it is the most effective.

For all the words and cyber tapdancing that's the sum-total of his argument. He's poor, can't afford an AR and so he's going to do whatever he can to justify his boomstick.

End of fucking transmission.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump. For full retard.  Just 'cause.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's going to continue to bukakke derp all over the keyboard muttering all about screen doors, TV shows from the '70s and nonsense about statistics in a miserable attempt to justify a decision he's clearly already made.

For all the words and cyber tapdancing that's the sum-total of his argument. He's poor, can't afford an AR and so he's going to do whatever he can to justify his boomstick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this talk of statistics and data is a cock tease. I want some box plots and some scatter plots.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread has been infected with derpies
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All this talk of statistics and data is a cock tease. I want some box plots and some scatter plots.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:04:22 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2i74p3k.png

You just won the thread.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]

13 pages so far....

Who wants to bet that this thread hits 20 pages?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
13 pages so far....

Who wants to bet that this thread hits 20 pages?

View Quote

25 pages, easily.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Unless, of course, like my father - YOU ALREADY OWN ONE.  In which case your additional cost is $0.00.

Which is more likely to be found in a home, even at this late date?  A semi-auto shotgun, or an AR platform?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semi auto shotguns cost just as much and more in most cases than a basic AR-15(See M&P Sport series), so given a semi-auto shotgun or AR choice, you don't even have your "economic effectiveness" argument working in your favor.

So now we've determined the shotgun is the superior choice because your father made a derpy choice of picking a shotgun over a rifle design that has been around since the late 50s?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Better than a shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#24]
to sum up the last few of these threads...

shotgunmenschen uber alles:

1. tradition
2. grampa has
3. cost
4. DEVISTATION
5. "loud noises" of racking slide from the earlier century
6. holes
7. dragon breath, rock salt, flite control, buck n ball, flechettes
8.  varied terrain [whatever that means]
9. TV shows, gunstore guys, et al
10. WWI german treaty
11. afghan red sun causes super race

carbine potato people:

1. toe load
2. ?
-----------
i'm still goin w/ carbine
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

1. tradition
2. grampa has
3. cost
4. DEVISTATION
6. holes
10. WWI german treaty

carbine potato people:

1. toe load
2. ?
-----------
View Quote

You forgot the screen doors.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I am not talking about "central nervous system shutdown".  That's good if you can get it.  No argument there.  What we are discussing, I though, was stopping a home invasion.

Some people will stop with a functioning CNS , yes?  Sometimes, non-lethal things can indeed stop someone - yes?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Self defense from violence isn't something you base on "sometimes it works".

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I consider "economic effectiveness" part of being best.  Perhaps I shouldn't.
View Quote

you're right, you shouldn't
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. tradition
2. grampa has
3. cost
4. DEVISTATION
6. holes
10. WWI german treaty

carbine potato people:

1. toe load
2. ?
-----------

You forgot the best one so far: HD expert TV producers of SWAT believed that shotguns are too intimidating for TV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Psychogunnery depends on the idea that, while one cannot foresee the hits on a particular individual, the laws of statistics as applied to large groups of people could predict the general flow of future one stop shots. An analogy for this is of a gas: an observer has great difficulty in predicting the motion of a single molecule in a gas, but can predict the mass action of the gas to a high level of accuracy.This concept applied to the population of the fictional Hitlerverse, which numbered a quintillion threads. The character responsible for the science's creation, Henrich Seldon established two axioms:

That the projection whose behaviour was modeled should be sufficiently large
That the projectile should remain in ignorance of the results of the application of psychogunnery analyses

There is a third underlying axiom of Psychogunnery, which is trivial and thus not stated by Seldon in his Plan:
that screendoors are the deadliest force in the Galaxy.

View Quote

Shotgun The Foundation, the exciting sequel...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So now we've determined the shotgun is the superior choice because your father made a derpy choice of picking a shotgun over a rifle design that has been around since the late 50s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure fish & game wouldn't let him shoot geese with an AR.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt. Pretty sure that infantry doesn't take down hadji with a shotgun room to room either.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No doubt. Pretty sure that infantry doesn't take down hadji with a shotgun room to room either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Command made them replace their shotguns with M4's since the shotguns were too scary.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

every single hole digging absurd stated.

View Quote
Crom laughs at you, he laughs at you from his mountain.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Someone breaking in?!!! I got this!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Shouldn't you not be telling us about this?

Wont knowing about Psychogunnery cause us to mess up the future or something? Or is that accounted for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So ignoring the odds of missing, if you hit a fully exposed man-size target with a 12.7, the odds of a non-fatal wound to the head would be around.

:24/1728 X .05 - around 0.3 percent. For any one shot that hits.

Shouldn't you not be telling us about this?

Wont knowing about Psychogunnery cause us to mess up the future or something? Or is that accounted for?

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HETEROCAGE!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. tradition
2. grampa has
3. cost
4. DEVISTATION
6. holes
10. WWI german treaty

carbine potato people:

1. toe load
2. ?
-----------

And proned out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which still has nothing to do with determining which platform is most effective for home defense.

Then again nothing you've posted has anything to do with the subject so this fits the pattern.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Shotgunner's Creed
This is my shotty. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My shotty is my best friend. It is my life, no homo. I must master it as I must master my life.
My shotty, with me, is useless. With my shotty, I am useless. I must fire my shotty blindly. I must spray wilder than my enemy who is aiming at me. I must literally blow his heart out before he shoots me. I will...
My shotty and I know that what counts in HD is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the screen door's slam and the racking of the slide.
My shotty is retarded, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother, no homo.  I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its lack of sights and how to toeload. I will keep my shotty clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other, no homo. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My shotty and I are the defenders of my terrain. We are the masters of our bears. We are the saviors of Afghanman.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no bears, Geesemen, or the cops prone me out, no homo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:20:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shotgunner's Creed
My shotty is my best friend. It is my life, no homo. I must master it as I must master my life.
My shotty, with me, is useless. With my shotty, I am useless. I must fire my shotty blindly. I must spray wilder than my enemy who is aiming at me. I must literally blow his heart out before he shoots me. I will...
My shotty and I know that what counts in HD is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the screen door's slam and the racking of the slide.
My shotty is retarded, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother, no homo.  I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its lack of sights and how to toeload. I will keep my shotty clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other, no homo. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My shotty and I are the defenders of my terrain. We are the masters of our bears. We are the saviors of Afghanman.
So be it, until victory is America's and there is no bears, Geesemen, or the cops prone me out, no homo.
View Quote

Tune that shotty, brah. Tune that shit right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes

pffft! This is where it's at. It has rails, an adjustable stock, shoots .30 cal, and even looks like an AR. WAY better than a Benelli M2 or M4 or Mossberg 930 or a Remington Versamax.

Primary:

Secondary:

Or if there's only one gun in your defense repertoire:

How to optimally load this thing for defense from the "experts" at guns.com review http://www.guns.com/review/2012/08/29/gun-review-rossi-circuit-judge-tactical/

Chamber 1, low brass bird shot—for those times when a good spanking is all that’s needed.
   Chamber 2, 3” bird shot.
   Chamber 3, 3” buckshot.  Same bang, more buck.
   Chamber 4, .45 Colt.  With sights like these, one is all you need.
   Chamber 5, I keep empty.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Shotgunner's Creed
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#45]
shotgun thread wallpaper!

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
shotgun thread wallpaper!

http://www.prism-industries.com/meatandbone.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Sigh.

You're totally missing the point I'm trying to make. Climb down off your high horse and pay attention to what I am saying.

First, you've got absolutely no scientific rigor behind your calculations.You're literally making things up, with no actual, observed data to back it up, and it isn't as impressive as you think it is. Show me where you are deriving "if I shoot somebody with a twelve gauge, then x% of the time, y will happen." If you're going to attempt to attack this problem with a scientific outlook, then you need to use proper methodology. I don't think you can, because you're biased towards a 12 gauge. Hence why I won't attempt to discuss this matter scientifically, I am biased, to start with, and second, I can't afford to pay the money to properly test or research it. Anything I put forth, scientifically, would be dismissible at best, and a lie at worst.

Second, you have calculated, very roughly, the possibility of the bullet impacting. Now calculate how likely it is that the person shot and continues fighting.(Which is what occurred in this situation, until a medic grabbed him.) Applying that to a more relevant home invasion scenario, you're going to have to, at least, account for: How well the homeowner shoots,(Including how much training he has, how awake he is, etc.) how the target reacts to being shot, (Does he keep fighting until his body shuts down? Does he have a gun and shoot back? Does he know how to shoot?) whether the invader is intoxicated,(How high is he? Functional, dazed, angry because he needs a fix?) whether any one of the pellets or fragments sufficiently damage the CNS of the target,(How likely is the 5.56 load to fragment and perform acceptably? How does the 12 gauge react? Buck, slugs, both?) etc.

I do not think you, or anyone else, can adequately calculate the outcomes of a home invasion, at least not without a stronger background in chaos theory than I suspect anybody in this thread has got.

I can tell you flat out, I do not have the background in mathematics to be able to properly calculate this, I'm 'just' a physics student now, but I am aware of how the scientific method functions. Then again, I'm not trying to wave my dick in an attempt at sounding more intelligent than everyone else, as if that's relevant to the discussion at hand.

More to the point, if you can account for every one of the abundant variables in this issue, in a realistic way, and I might care about your mathematics. Using numbers doesn't scare or impress me, or make you win the argument.

At best, I suspect anything you come up with is going to be fulfilling the common gun owner fallacy of preparing for, what I call, the 'best case home invasion scenario." Statistically, it's unlikely you'll ever use a gun for self defense, but you prepare for the statistic improbability of having to defend your life. Why would you prepare for the best case home invasion? (One suspect, you shoot him and he immediately goes down.)

The fact that you're attempting to claim you're more intelligent than someone, a person you literally know nothing about, says more about you than I ever could. My position is at least supported by demonstrable personal experience, combined with the experience of the others in this thread, some of whom have spent more time in Afghanistan than I spent in the military. When Rusted_Ace, _ERIK_, or 30calTBLkidIt speak, they're speaking as subject matter experts; they know more about this subject than either I or you could ever hope to know. I know, hard to believe, R_A is more than just funny cartoons.

Furthermore, the use of a 5.56 rifle for fighting in close confines is corroborated by just about every police and military agency in the US; they're carrying rifles and pistols, and using shotguns to breech doors.

So, to sum it up, put up or shut up. Show me your calculations, based on information I can't argue with, that has nothing I can see as a bias. I'm not interested in your purse swinging, silly egotism, and attempts to argue from authority.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Compile a realistic study on the subject, and I might give a shit. But you haven't. You can't utilize math to determine how a person will reaction in a traumatic situation, such as being shot.

You are right - any ONE person, any ONE incident is completely unpredicatable - just like any one hand at a game of cards.

Therefore -- all we CAN do - is look at the odds - am I more likely to get a pair of 5s or a royal flush?  If I have a home invasion, am I more likely to face 1, 2, 3 or more invaders.  If I firre at a home invader with a carbine, am I more likely, or less likely to hit him?  If I have to shoot again, how long will it take to fire again?  If he is hit, what percentage of the time will he stop his attack?

Otherwise, all we can do is blow gas and defend our preconcieved notions.  Should we seek truth - or argue?

I've seen guys that had wounds from DSHKs in the top of the head who lived, calculate the probability of that, please.

Just off of the top of my head, (no pun intended): figure 6 feet tall by 2 feet wide (generous) - 1728 qsare inches target area, if fully exposed.

In general, a hit to the head with a 12.7 that is non-fatal would have to be a periphery strike that didn't transfer much energy to the target.  Figure the outer inch of the head edge, to include the chance of deflection - maybe aroung 24 square inches.

Even then, the odds of a non-fatal outcome have to be pretty low - around 2%, give or take.

So ignoring the odds of missing, if you hit a fully exposed man-size target with a 12.7, the odds of a non-fatal wound to the head would be around.

:24/1728 X .05 - around 0.3 percent. For any one shot that hits.

It's actually less likely than that, as 12.7s are usually fired in multi-round bursts, so the odds that another round of the same burst would kill him are pretty high.  Real world, I would expect it to be something you would see maybe one time out of 10,000.

I know you think you're the smartest little snowflake, but you aren't.

I bet I'm smarter than you - and no amount of pouting on your part is going to change that.

Sigh.

You're totally missing the point I'm trying to make. Climb down off your high horse and pay attention to what I am saying.

First, you've got absolutely no scientific rigor behind your calculations.You're literally making things up, with no actual, observed data to back it up, and it isn't as impressive as you think it is. Show me where you are deriving "if I shoot somebody with a twelve gauge, then x% of the time, y will happen." If you're going to attempt to attack this problem with a scientific outlook, then you need to use proper methodology. I don't think you can, because you're biased towards a 12 gauge. Hence why I won't attempt to discuss this matter scientifically, I am biased, to start with, and second, I can't afford to pay the money to properly test or research it. Anything I put forth, scientifically, would be dismissible at best, and a lie at worst.

Second, you have calculated, very roughly, the possibility of the bullet impacting. Now calculate how likely it is that the person shot and continues fighting.(Which is what occurred in this situation, until a medic grabbed him.) Applying that to a more relevant home invasion scenario, you're going to have to, at least, account for: How well the homeowner shoots,(Including how much training he has, how awake he is, etc.) how the target reacts to being shot, (Does he keep fighting until his body shuts down? Does he have a gun and shoot back? Does he know how to shoot?) whether the invader is intoxicated,(How high is he? Functional, dazed, angry because he needs a fix?) whether any one of the pellets or fragments sufficiently damage the CNS of the target,(How likely is the 5.56 load to fragment and perform acceptably? How does the 12 gauge react? Buck, slugs, both?) etc.

I do not think you, or anyone else, can adequately calculate the outcomes of a home invasion, at least not without a stronger background in chaos theory than I suspect anybody in this thread has got.

I can tell you flat out, I do not have the background in mathematics to be able to properly calculate this, I'm 'just' a physics student now, but I am aware of how the scientific method functions. Then again, I'm not trying to wave my dick in an attempt at sounding more intelligent than everyone else, as if that's relevant to the discussion at hand.

More to the point, if you can account for every one of the abundant variables in this issue, in a realistic way, and I might care about your mathematics. Using numbers doesn't scare or impress me, or make you win the argument.

At best, I suspect anything you come up with is going to be fulfilling the common gun owner fallacy of preparing for, what I call, the 'best case home invasion scenario." Statistically, it's unlikely you'll ever use a gun for self defense, but you prepare for the statistic improbability of having to defend your life. Why would you prepare for the best case home invasion? (One suspect, you shoot him and he immediately goes down.)

The fact that you're attempting to claim you're more intelligent than someone, a person you literally know nothing about, says more about you than I ever could. My position is at least supported by demonstrable personal experience, combined with the experience of the others in this thread, some of whom have spent more time in Afghanistan than I spent in the military. When Rusted_Ace, _ERIK_, or 30calTBLkidIt speak, they're speaking as subject matter experts; they know more about this subject than either I or you could ever hope to know. I know, hard to believe, R_A is more than just funny cartoons.

Furthermore, the use of a 5.56 rifle for fighting in close confines is corroborated by just about every police and military agency in the US; they're carrying rifles and pistols, and using shotguns to breech doors.

So, to sum it up, put up or shut up. Show me your calculations, based on information I can't argue with, that has nothing I can see as a bias. I'm not interested in your purse swinging, silly egotism, and attempts to argue from authority.

I think I love you, now.

#nohomo #toemance

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The fact that ive told you 3 times in this thread. In shootings there is a fucking tiny percentage of shots that hit their target than not.... [img]
View Quote

What kind of shootings?

Data from LAPD metro (IIRC on department) showed a 50% hit rate with typically 3 - 4 shots fired for single officer involved shootings. Rounds fired (and % misses) went up for two officers, and went way up for more then two.

In 'nam the hit rate was something like 200k rounds per hit.

A HD shooting would be closer to the LAPD data above.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

And the average ranges the M4 is used is what, 50 yards? That right there disqualifies the shotgun. For HD it is a different matter.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top